Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
LMAO, the Rockets gave up four years worth of draft picks to get him, and after one season, he wants out.

Seriously, who the hell would want him at this point? Why would any team trade for him? There's no contender that he would help more than he would hurt. He gets paid so much that you probably have to give up some valuable assets to get him even if you don't want to. If the Rockets actually had assets themselves to give, I could see a rebuilding team willing to take on his salary just to get the assets that would come with him, but the Rockets have nothing of value to offer... The ONLY reason anyone would trade for Russ is some dogsh*t team in a small market just wants a big name to sell some tickets... but selling tickets isn't even a thing right now.

So agin... who the hell would want Westbrook and why?

Russ has the weirdest career in NBA history. He's a former MVP who has averaged a 30 point triple double. Nobody would ever deny that he's one of the most incredible talents the game has ever seen. And yet even on his best day, I don't think most people ever really believed he was a winner.
Exactly. Lol at him giving a list of “preferred destinations”. I don’t think any team is dumb enough to trade for him with at least a couple lightly to moderately protected 1st round picks coming back. And Houston doesn’t have those. Cleveland has two young guards. The Knicks have a real front office presumably in place. Atlanta GM is smarter than that. Troy Weaver is running Detroit now. MJ? Orlando?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Top Ball Coverage: Fred VanVleet on his priorities in free agency: “I’ve won a championship, now it’s time to cash out.” –

Didn’t think he’d leave Toronto, and I’m sure they make a big offer, but curious if he signs elsewhere. I think free agency is going to go fast this season. I can’t wait!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Top Ball Coverage: Fred VanVleet on his priorities in free agency: “I’ve won a championship, now it’s time to cash out.” –

Didn’t think he’d leave Toronto, and I’m sure they make a big offer, but curious if he signs elsewhere. I think free agency is going to go fast this season. I can’t wait!
Cant see him leaving for some crap franchise like Detroit for a couple million more. Toronto would have to low ball him or another team would have to break the bank.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Fun fact. My girlfriend- who does not watch basketball at all- hates, and I mean absolutely HATES James Harden. I was explaining to her why Harden is the most polarizing and generally disliked player of the modern era- mostly the flopping and foul-baiting, but also the fact that his game is just hard to watch and not fun, his playoff failures and fact that it seems like he has trouble playing with other stars because the entire offense has to go through him all the time, and of course his legendary enthusiasm for strip clubs. I then showed her a youtube montage of Harden flopping so she'd see what I was talking about.

And ever since then, she has hated Harden with a fiery passion. I'll seriously be watching a game or a youtube clip and if she hears Harden's name she'll just yell "F*CK THAT GUY!!!" I've tried explaining to her that almost all players, including and especially our Luka Doncic, flop and goad the referees to get free throws, but she doesn't care. She just hates James Harden now and forever.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
ExRocketNewMav

ExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enoughExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Fun fact. My girlfriend- who does not watch basketball at all- hates, and I mean absolutely HATES James Harden. I was explaining to her why Harden is the most polarizing and generally disliked player of the modern era- mostly the flopping and foul-baiting, but also the fact that his game is just hard to watch and not fun, his playoff failures and fact that it seems like he has trouble playing with other stars because the entire offense has to go through him all the time, and of course his legendary enthusiasm for strip clubs. I then showed her a youtube montage of Harden flopping so she'd see what I was talking about.

And ever since then, she has hated Harden with a fiery passion. I'll seriously be watching a game or a youtube clip and if she hears Harden's name she'll just yell "F*CK THAT GUY!!!" I've tried explaining to her that almost all players, including and especially our Luka Doncic, flop and goad the referees to get free throws, but she doesn't care. She just hates James Harden now and forever.
Media narrative does that to people.

'playoff failures'

If you're holding these standards to Harden constantly losing to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, then I shudder to think what your feelings are towards the vast majority of the league who called a quits on trying for a few years while the Warriors dynasty worked it's way through the record books.

Your girlfriend sounds like she needs a dose of reality.
ExRocketNewMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:39 AM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRocketNewMav View Post
Media narrative does that to people.

'playoff failures'

If you're holding these standards to Harden constantly losing to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, then I shudder to think what your feelings are towards the vast majority of the league who called a quits on trying for a few years while the Warriors dynasty worked it's way through the record books.
First of all, dude, it's not "media narrative." It's MY opinion based on having watched the man's entire career, and it's accurate. His reputation is earned. This goes all the way back to his days in OKC (where he was absolutely horrible in his only finals appearance to date) and extends well beyond playing against the mighty Warriors. If you want to parce through every playoff performance, we can, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's at least some truth to his reputation for coming up short in big games.

Quote:
Your girlfriend sounds like she needs a dose of reality.
Maybe you need a dose of chill the f*ck out. It was a silly, light-hearted anecdote.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:47 AM   #7
ExRocketNewMav

ExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enoughExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
First of all, dude, it's not "media narrative." It's MY opinion based on having watched the man's entire career, and it's accurate. His reputation is earned. This goes all the way back to his days in OKC (where he was absolutely horrible in his only finals appearance to date) and extends well beyond playing against the mighty Warriors. If you want to parce through every playoff performance, we can, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's at least some truth to his reputation for coming up short in big games.

Maybe you need a dose of chill the f*ck out. It was a silly, light-hearted anecdote.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
ExRocketNewMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRocketNewMav View Post
LMAO, wow, buddy. You're a real fucking class act. And a whiny little bitch too. You went from eager new member of the board to full blown troll at a single (very true) criticism of a basketball player you like.

Have nice night, douche nozzle.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:57 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #10
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck off to clutchfans

-seconded by EL

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #11
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Yeah

I was following along and enjoying the read and then BOOM!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't make personal insults against other posters-- even Rockets fans.

That said, D-M.com isn't Xbox Live in the early 2000s. Being lewd like that will not be tolerated and has earned ExRocket a ban.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It was just a matter of time. Rockets fans still somehow don't get that Harden is the most hated player in the NBA. No matter how cordial they can be, it'll always clash at that very fact.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Please don't make personal insults against other posters-- even Rockets fans.

That said, D-M.com isn't Xbox Live in the early 2000s. Being lewd like that will not be tolerated and has earned ExRocket a ban.
Oh there was nothing personal about it. Just stating a fact. Thank you for being a good mod though.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #16
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Guys you should really lay off Harden. I mean it wasn't his fault they missed so many 3's vs golden state, that's what all the Houston fans have been telling the world. Those 4 guys should have absolutely felt grateful that Harden would willingly dribble out the shot clock possession after possession without any semblance of sharing the ball or running a play that isn't an iso. It's also not his fault that he tanked so hard against the Spurs years ago. He had like a concussion or something. It's not his fault that he plays better in the regular season vs the playoffs year after year after year- it's only media narrative... don't like go look up his numbers on bbref or anything it's clearly just media narrative. It's definitely a media narrative how fans don't like watching a guy who shoots 2-11 in a playoff game but shoots 16-20 from ft line to salvage a 21pt game. That sounds super entertaining. We should marvel at his ft routine or something.

Also ignore the trashcan banging at the Astros games- there is nothing weird about that at all.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Guys you should really lay off Harden. I mean it wasn't his fault they missed so many 3's vs golden state, that's what all the Houston fans have been telling the world. Those 4 guys should have absolutely felt grateful that Harden would willingly dribble out the shot clock possession after possession without any semblance of sharing the ball or running a play that isn't an iso. It's also not his fault that he tanked so hard against the Spurs years ago. He had like a concussion or something. It's not his fault that he plays better in the regular season vs the playoffs year after year after year- it's only media narrative... don't like go look up his numbers on bbref or anything it's clearly just media narrative. It's definitely a media narrative how fans don't like watching a guy who shoots 2-11 in a playoff game but shoots 16-20 from ft line to salvage a 21pt game. That sounds super entertaining. We should marvel at his ft routine or something.

Also ignore the trashcan banging at the Astros games- there is nothing weird about that at all.
+rep
Old 11-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bryan_Wilson again.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn I missed the spiciness.

Spiral, I bet your girlfriend is lovely.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers and Thunder will complete Danny Green/28 for Schroder tomorrow per Woj.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #21
MFFL
Guru

I was just coming here to post that trade

Bobby Marks
@BobbyMarks42
The LA Lakers owe New Orleans a protected 1st in 2021 and the trade cannot be made until after LAL selects.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Lakers guard Danny Green and the No. 28 overall pick have been a focus of the trade discussions for Schroder, sources tell ESPN. twitter.com/wojespn/status…
Old 11-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #22
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Lakers and Thunder will complete Danny Green/28 for Schroder tomorrow per Woj.
How is this even a remotely smart deal for the Thunder? It just feels like teams want to help out Lebron for whatever reason. I don't know if its intentional or what....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #23
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
How is this even a remotely smart deal for the Thunder? It just feels like teams want to help out Lebron for whatever reason. I don't know if its intentional or what....
They get #28 and will lose more games. That's their goal.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
They get #28 and will lose more games. That's their goal.
Alright so you are telling me the Mavs don't have a better package to give them or any other team? If they want to seriously tank that's fine but whether Schroder is on the team or not won't effect their tanking lol.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
KillerLeft

Quote:
Alright so you are telling me the Mavs don't have a better package to give them or any other team? If they want to seriously tank that's fine but whether Schroder is on the team or not won't effect their tanking lol.
Maybe, maybe not. I’m not sure, but judging by your reaction I think you might overrate Schroeder's best year a little.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It's also a reflection on how valuable picks are in this draft.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It's also a reflection on how valuable picks are in this draft.
Most commentators are saying that a top 5 pick this year would be lucky to net you a 15-30 in next year's draft.

Still, it's unlikely to get a star, but the 28 could be a young starter to create a foundation for OKC's next young star. Then you lose a lot of games and get a high pick in a much better draft next year.

They know the era of CP is over or will be soon so they might as well start building. At 27 Shroeder doesn't fit that timeline either.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-15-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #28
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Presti going full tank for next years draft, so he doesnt really care if he sells Schröder below value (i think he had a value of a #19-23 draft selection this year.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #29
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yeah Presti going full tank for next years draft, so he doesnt really care if he sells Schröder below value (i think he had a value of a #19-23 draft selection this year.
Its not much below value considering that he can flip Green for another pick
Old 11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #30
KillerLeft

The Thunder have their own pick AND another team's pick in like the next 8 drafts, I think. Super easy to see what their plans are. And it's a good plan for them, too, because NOBODY is ever going to sign there or ask to be traded there.

Why the league let them move the franchise from SEATLE to Oklahoma City, I'll truly never understand.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Thunder have their own pick AND another team's pick in like the next 8 drafts, I think. Super easy to see what their plans are. And it's a good plan for them, too, because NOBODY is ever going to sign there or ask to be traded there.

Why the league let them move the franchise from SEATLE to Oklahoma City, I'll truly never understand.
I mean OKC has never lacked talent though. I'm not sure why they are spiraling out of control like this even last years team was pretty good. Nobody is ever going to Indiana either but you can still build a solid team....
Old 11-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #32
KillerLeft

Quote:
I mean OKC has never lacked talent though. I'm not sure why they are spiraling out of control like this even last years team was pretty good. Nobody is ever going to Indiana either but you can still build a solid team....
They were surprisingly good last year, but that’s because they surprisingly got a good year out of Chris Paul. He is one of the best to ever play, but people thought he was done. They are trying to capitalize off of that by putting themselves in the best position possible to get another on-ball superstar around whom they can build.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-15-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #33
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
They were surprisingly good last year, but that’s because they surprisingly got a good year out of Chris Paul. He is one of the best to ever play, but people thought he was done. They are trying to capitalize off of that by putting themselves in the best position possible to get another on-ball superstar around whom they can build.
Haha its funny because you say this about Paul and your comment earlier about me possibly overrating Schroder.....I actually don't know if I give that much credit to Paul. He brought great leadership not taking that from him but I think SGA's development in part was a reason they did better than expected.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #34
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I actually listened to an entire podcast series about this and it was pretty interesting. "Sonic Boom" is the name if you're interested.

David Stern tried very hard to make that NOT happen, but there were no buyers for the team in the Seattle area and to make it a lot worse, the city basically dared them to leave.

Basically the old Key Arena was practically delapitated and they team was losing money staying there. They needed a new arena, but the political climate in the city was not just unwilling but openly hostile to the idea of devoting taxpayer dollars to a new arena, having very recently funded new stadiums for both the Seahawks and the Mariners. Howard Schultz had owned the team for a few years but apparently had soured on the whole experience, apparently finding it a lot harder not nearly as fun as he thought it would be. So he wanted out, but apparently after trying for months, he just could not find a buyer in the Seattle area. The OKC ownership group basically lied through their teeth and said they would do everything they could to keep the team in Seattle, but literally nobody actually believed this. They were essentially just some rich good ol' boys that wanted an NBA team in their home town, and didn't give a crap that Seattle is a far bigger sports market. Some poor Sonics fans deluded themselves into thinking that the new owners were just using the threat of an OKC relocation to leverage Seattle into ponying up for a new arena, but nope. In the end, there was nothing Stern or anyone else could do to keep the team in Seattle.

It's kind of a sad story, really. RIP Seattle Supersonics.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #35
KillerLeft

Quote:
I actually listened to an entire podcast series about this and it was pretty interesting. "Sonic Boom" is the name if you're interested.

David Stern tried very hard to make that NOT happen, but there were no buyers for the team in the Seattle area and to make it a lot worse, the city basically dared them to leave.

Basically the old Key Arena was practically delapitated and they team was losing money staying there. They needed a new arena, but the political climate in the city was not just unwilling but openly hostile to the idea of devoting taxpayer dollars to a new arena, having very recently funded new stadiums for both the Seahawks and the Mariners. Howard Schultz had owned the team for a few years but apparently had soured on the whole experience, apparently finding it a lot harder not nearly as fun as he thought it would be. So he wanted out, but apparently after trying for months, he just could not find a buyer in the Seattle area. The OKC ownership group basically lied through their teeth and said they would do everything they could to keep the team in Seattle, but literally nobody actually believed this. They were essentially just some rich good ol' boys that wanted an NBA team in their home town, and didn't give a crap that Seattle is a far bigger sports market. Some poor Sonics fans deluded themselves into thinking that the new owners were just using the threat of an OKC relocation to leverage Seattle into ponying up for a new arena, but nope. In the end, there was nothing Stern or anyone else could do to keep the team in Seattle.

It's kind of a sad story, really. RIP Seattle Supersonics.
Thanks. I'll check that out, for sure.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #36
KillerLeft

So, I'm not sure I totally agree with this, but FWIW, here's one way of looking at it:

"Instead, the Lakers let the Thunder win this trade twice: First, by turning Schröder into a late first, and then a second time when the Thunder inevitably trade Green. Additionally, the Lakers could have controlled Green’s ultimate destination and made sure he landed in the Eastern Conference. Now, it’s out of their hands. He could be a Clipper or Warrior before Thanksgiving; in particular, Green’s salary slots right into that giant trade exception the Warriors have."

Hollinger
Old 11-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yes, the league is terrified of where Danny Green might land.

I'm not even sure Green is in the league this season if not for that contract. He'd likely nab a vet min and be out the season after.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I bet that Presti saves Green until the trade deadline and gets pretty good value for that 15mill expiring deal

I could even see the Mavs being tempted.

I doubt Presti waives Green and lets him chose a team.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-15-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #39
sefant77
Guru

Green looked like crap the past year, i dont see much value there getting a good pick back etc
Old 11-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #40
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Green looked like crap the past year, i dont see much value there getting a good pick back etc
Green is a bad basketball player. I don't know how he keeps tricking teams to taking him on.....its been about 4 years I've watched him in the post season simply just stink on both sides of the ball. You are a 3 and D guy who can't 3 and D in the playoffs lol.