Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I'd rather have two mid 1st round draft picks and two mid 2nd round draft picks than Capela or Gordon for a non-playoff team.
I'd rather have one mid-first and Capela or Gordon than two mid-firsts -- both of those guys are already what you'd HOPE a mid-first could max out at. And it's not like we'd be trading for these guys, they're restricted free agents, so we'd keep our pick.. Which means you can sign them to a 4-year contract, locking them up long enough to grow alongside DSJ and whoever we draft this summer. At their age (Gordon 22, Capela 23), it's not much different than getting a draft pick, except they've already proven not to be busts. I'd say that's a MUCH better use of our cap space than absorbing useless overpaid players who are just going to waste a roster spot, keeping the "next Motley" from being called up from the Legends.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd rather have one mid-first and Capela or Gordon than two mid-firsts -- both of those guys are already what you'd HOPE a mid-first could max out at. And it's not like we'd be trading for these guys, they're restricted free agents, so we'd keep our pick.. Which means you can sign them to a 4-year contract, locking them up long enough to grow alongside DSJ and whoever we draft this summer. At their age (Gordon 22, Capela 23), it's not much different than getting a draft pick, except they've already proven not to be busts. I'd say that's a MUCH better use of our cap space than absorbing useless overpaid players who are just going to waste a roster spot, keeping the "next Motley" from being called up from the Legends.
I agree with your points. Especially with a proven NBA player being more valuable than an individual draft pick in a comparable draft position.

We disagree on where the Mavs are headed next year, though. I full expect the Mavs to be a bottom 10 team in the league next year too, no matter whether they sign a big FA or not.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with your points. Especially with a proven NBA player being more valuable than an individual draft pick in a comparable draft position.

We disagree on where the Mavs are headed next year, though. I full expect the Mavs to be a bottom 10 team in the league next year too, no matter whether they sign a big FA or not.
Depends on who we get in this draft, but I'd say a core of DSJ/Jaren/Barnes/Capela or DSJ/Gordon/Barnes/Ayton is going to be good enough to put us outside the top-10, especially since we'll still have cap space left to make more moves... Hell, if we can get Wes to opt out and sign a longterm deal elsewhere, then we could even add another max FA to our core (not that we will, just illustrating how much cap space we'll have to work with).

Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Depends on who we get in this draft, but I'd say a core of DSJ/Jaren/Barnes/Capela or DSJ/Gordon/Barnes/Ayton is going to be good enough to put us outside the top-10, especially since we'll still have cap space left to make more moves... Hell, if we can get Wes to opt out and sign a longterm deal elsewhere, then we could even add another max FA to our core (not that we will, just illustrating how much cap space we'll have to work with).
Not saying you're wrong. I just think it'll go the other way. Outside of Harrison Barnes, we don't have a good history of getting FAs to come here.

Wes will not opt out of his deal. He'd literally have to hate money to do that. The narrative in the NBA this offseason is backup players signed in 2016 will be earning more than starters who sign this offseason. Wes is on 2015 money. He's not giving that up. He can opt in to $18.6 mil next year. There will be better players this offseason who sign 2 year deals for less than $18.6 mil.

We all do it. But, you're just saying what you'd wish for, but it's not reality. Wes is opting in. It's foolish to think otherwise.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Underdog

Quote:
Not saying you're wrong. I just think it'll go the other way. Outside of Harrison Barnes, we don't have a good history of getting FAs to come here.

Wes will not opt out of his deal. He'd literally have to hate money to do that. The narrative in the NBA this offseason is backup players signed in 2016 will be earning more than starters who sign this offseason. Wes is on 2015 money. He's not giving that up. He can opt in to $18.6 mil next year. There will be better players this offseason who sign 2 year deals for less than $18.6 mil.
Wes is going to be 32 years old shortly after next season starts, and he's coming off his best season since the injury -- this summer would be an excellent time to opt out and try to negotiate a longterm contract somewhere, especially if he could get somewhere in the ballpark of $12-15m per year... Contracts are guaranteed in this league, health isn't (especially for an aging player) -- it's ALWAYS better to lock up the longterm deal than take the quick cash. Any agent worth their salt will tell you that.

Quote:
We all do it. But, you're just saying what you'd wish for, but it's not reality. Wes is opting in. It's foolish to think otherwise.
I don't think you know enough about the cap to presume to know me.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Wes is going to be 32 years old shortly after next season starts, and he's coming off his best season since the injury -- this summer would be an excellent time to opt out and try to negotiate a longterm somewhere, especially if he could get somewhere in the ballpark of $12-15m per year... Contracts are guaranteed in this league, health isn't (especially for an aging player) -- it's ALWAYS better to lock up the longterm deal than take the quick cash. Any agent worth their salt will tell you that.

I don't think you know enough about the cap to presume to know me.

I don't know what to say. Wes is opting in.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm sure Wes is either opting in with us or doing a longer term deal with us for lesser per year. The other thing that I expect to happen is Seth coming back. But on like $8-10million a year (instead of the close to $20 he could have commanded if we had a healthy season with production like last Dec./Spring).

If we can get an Ayton in the draft + a nice early/mid 20 yr old free agent + Seth back healthy and 15ppg level productive, I'm all for being excited about the playoffs again and think it would be very likely they make it. Then, see how that core starts gelling.... A lot of ifs though I guess.

Last edited by Robillion; 02-08-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I'm sure Wes is either opting in with us or doing a longer term deal with us for lesser per year.
I could see him opting-in, but Dallas ins't going to be the team to give him a longterm deal if he's looking for one... Cuban was loyal as hell to Wes by honoring that contract after DeAndra pulled out, but there's no way in hell we owe him anything once this contract is up -- especially since he doesn't fit into our longterm plans.