Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Golden State Dismisses Musselman

Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Updated: May 20, 11:35 AM ET

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

The Golden State Warriors fired head coach Eric Musselman on Wednesday night and have targeted Stanford coach Mike Montgomery as his replacement, league sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

"It's been a great two years. The players have played their hearts out," Musselman told the AP in a cell phone interview Wednesday night. "The organization's headed in great direction. ... I got an opportunity of a lifetime and will always be grateful to the Warriors for that."

The news of Mike Montgomery deciding to leave Stanford to coach the Golden State Warriors was shocking, shocking, shocking! I can't believe it. If there was one guy who epitomized what college basketball is supposed to be about, it was Mike Montgomery.

A source close to Montgomery, 57, confirmed for ESPN.com that there are ongoing negotiations between Montgomery's representatives and the Warriors on a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal. The Associated Press is reporting that Montgomery has told his Stanford players that he has accepted the job.

Musselman, 39, told the AP that he learned his fate at 7:15 p.m. PT from Warriors' executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin. Reached earlier in the evening in Florida by ESPN.com, Musselman said that he hadn't talked to Mullin in two weeks and that Mullin had been noncommittal on his and his staff's status.

Musselman, who had one year remaining on his contract, went 75-89 in two seasons with the Warriors, his first NBA head coaching job. He finished second in the league's Coach of the Year voting in 2002-03 after guiding Golden State to a 38-44 record.

Musselman told ESPN.com that hiring Montgomery would make sense since, to his knowledge, the Warriors hadn't been talking to anyone within the NBA about replacing him. It would be a bold hire for Mullin, given the relative lack of success for coaches making the jump from college to the NBA; however, Montgomery is regarded as one of the college game's foremost X's-and-O's men.

Sources told ESPN.com that Stanford athletic director Ted Leland was called out of a Pac-10 properties meeting in Los Angeles and left abruptly, saying he had to return to campus to deal with pressing issues. Calls to Stanford were not returned Wednesday. Stanford's coaches, including Montgomery, were instructing players individually Wednesday on campus.

Montgomery is one of the most successful active college basketball coaches and is coming off a remarkable season, during which the Cardinal went 30-2 and earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament before losing to Alabama in the second round. The Cardinal won 26 straight before losing their regular-season finale at Washington.

Montgomery, who is under contract at Stanford through the 2007-08 season, is 393-167 in 18 seasons on the Farm and 547-244 overall.

Mike Montgomery led Stanford to the '98 Final Four and reached the NCAA Tournament 12 times in 18 seasons.

He was honored in April with the John Wooden "Legends of Coaching" Lifetime Achievement Award at the Wooden Award banquet in Los Angeles; he was choked up and humbled upon accepting the award from Wooden.

Montgomery coached NBA players when he was an assistant with the 2002 World Championship team that did not medal in Indianapolis. Considered one of the sharpest coaching minds in the business, Montgomery has been increasingly hardened by the defection of his players to the NBA. The Cardinal lost Jason Collins, Curtis Borchardt, Casey Jacobsen, and now it appears Josh Childress, early to the NBA in the last three years.

If Montgomery takes the Warriors job, he would be trying to change a recent trend of college coaches -- namely Tim Floyd, Lon Kruger, John Calipari and Rick Pitino -- who left prominent Division I jobs and failed in the NBA.

Nonetheless, Mullin wanted to make a splash with this hire. Montgomery is well respected in the Bay Area and would not have to move if he accepts the job.

If Montgomery indeed leaves the Cardinal, then Stanford's job becomes one of the most attractive openings in the country. With or without Childress, the Cardinal are expected to compete with Arizona for the Pac-10 title.

Nevada coach Trent Johnson, a former Stanford assistant who just signed an extension with the Wolf Pack, would be a candidate. So, too, would Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who has looked at the Stanford job as one of Division I's most coveted positions. Rice coach Willis Wilson, also a former Stanford assistant, likely would be in the mix, too.

The Stanford job likely would attract some of the top names in the business who have a history of working with academically rich, highly skilled basketball players. The Cardinal's recruiting pool is consistently considered one of the smallest in the country for a high-major program.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Golden State Dismisses Musselman

Maybe he could be a good assistant/defensive coach for the Mavs. When he first went to Golden State, they were an all offensive team, then he made them play defense.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:Golden State Dismisses Musselman

sad.

Musselman did a hell of a job in Golden State. They had no business anywhere but the cellar two years ago, but they almost made the playoffs. This year he had to deal with a screwed up roster. He didn't deserve to be fired, but he'll get latched on as a head coach somwhere else.

I wouldn't mind him here.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i like musselman, and i wouldn't mind at all seeing him getting some sort of coaching job in dallas.

i am also kind of pissed that they are taking montgomery away from stanford. grrr.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If Montgomery takes the Warriors job, he would be trying to change a recent trend of college coaches -- namely Tim Floyd, Lon Kruger, John Calipari and Rick Pitino -- who left prominent Division I jobs and failed in the NBA.

Nonetheless, Mullin wanted to make a splash with this hire. Montgomery is well respected in the Bay Area and would not have to move if he accepts the job.
We should know within a couple of years about whether Mullin has the vision it takes to be a big-league GM or not. If Montgomery, at 57 with no prior-NBA experience either as a player or as a coach, can come in and advance the Warriors, then Mullin's hire will be one of the first successful college-to-NBA transitions since.........John McCleod with the Suns?

If not, Mullin will be just another GM who thought he knew better but didn't.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Monty's well respected in the Bay. I think the Warriors will give him some time, at least 3 years, to let him try to turn the Warriors around. Now, who is taking the Stanford job?... Though I'm not sure Musselman would be a good head coach for this Mav's team, I wouldn't have any problem with him being the lead assistant.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in this thread, Musselman may have a home in Dallas next season.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #8
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

i dont think musslman deserved to be let go. golden state just didnt have enough peceices this year to have a semi-okay team. but id like it if he came to dallas. esp. if del harris leaves
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Not likely. It doesn't look like we're getting rid of Nellie, and he will not come here as an assistant.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Not likely. It doesn't look like we're getting rid of Nellie, and he will not come here as an assistant.
Well I predicted the dismissal of Musselman when St. John left. If Cuban doesnt see the opportunity, then that's his fault. The changing of the guard in Oakland freed up a qualified coach.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote