Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

USC vs ND was better just because of tradition/rivalry alone

it was an incredible game to witness..
wish I dvr-ed it

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

do you go to school at tech, five?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Im a sophmore Engineering major.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Man... Only A&M is standing in UT's way, (along with potentially Missouri for the Big 12 Championship)... If we win out and get screwed like Endtroducing's boys, oh my my my...

All I know is VaTech had their hands full early on with Maryland and we just MANHANDLED the #7 team in the country!!! We beat them worse than USC beat Washington so I hope we pick up some more voters... Vince is incredible when he needs to be... Not completely consistent, (hit that TE when he is open damn it), but he is still money!!!

USC vs. UT for the Rose Bowl... I can hardly wait!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

With all due respect to anyone who thinks otherwise...UT could beat the Detroit Lions. THis is one badass college football team. That was nothing shy of freaking domination. I don't see anyone coming within 25 points of the Longhorns the rest of the year.

Please take it easy on my Bears.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

this is how I would rank the football teams in the state of Texas:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Texas Longhorns
3. Houston Texans

Contact Me
Old 10-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Surely you people are kidding if you think ANY college team would EVER beat a NFL team...surely.

UT might have some talent...they might have 85 future NFL players (best case...I'd say 30 would be a more likely, yet still generous estimate)...but guess what...every single person on the Lions and Texans already made it to the NFL. Every one of them. It wouldn't even be close. I'd expect the spread to be 40. The talent disparity would just be HUGE. Pull your heads out of your asses.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
alby
Guru

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Surely you people are kidding if you think ANY college team would EVER beat a NFL team...surely.

UT might have some talent...they might have 85 future NFL players (best case...I'd say 30 would be a more likely, yet still generous estimate)...but guess what...every single person on the Lions and Texans already made it to the NFL. Every one of them. It wouldn't even be close. I'd expect the spread to be 40. The talent disparity would just be HUGE. Pull your heads out of your asses.
With all due respect ocelot...I think it is thouest with thine head implanted up the arse. There is no question in my mind that UT gives Houston all it can handle and I contend that they have the talent to win the game. Unfortunately, we will never know so I will assume you to be incorrect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark

With all due respect ocelot...I think it is thouest with thine head implanted up the arse. There is no question in my mind that UT gives Houston all it can handle and I contend that they have the talent to win the game. Unfortunately, we will never know so I will assume you to be incorrect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Wow. Just wow. The Texans are bad...very bad...but they're still a team stockpiled with professional football players. There are no walk-ons. The Texans special teams players were probably STUDS at their respective universities before they entered the league....ugh, I'm not going to argue this.

This is about as logical as saying the Springdale (Ark.) Bulldogs (#5 or 6 nationally) could beat the Razorbacks (horrible this year). Games are won in the trenches. As bad as Arkansas is, there is not one player in the trenches from Springdale that could hold his own against any scholarship lineman at Arkansas, it's that easy. The same holds true between NCAA/NFL. That horrible Texans line would still dominate UT's defensive line. Throw in the fact that VY won't get away with some of the throws he's been getting away with...and it's just a blowout. Not even close.

I'd say the same thing about USC versus any NFL team, too...and they have 2 or the top 3 or 4 college players on one team plus a squad full of 5* athletes. They're just not there yet. The speed of the game...the maturity...the physical aspect...all much higher in the NFL.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
alby
Guru

I actually think USC Trojans vs Houston Texans would be a good game.

The Trojans have a NFL caliber quarterback and a NFL caliber running back, both are Heisman candidates again and USC is probably the closest thing you can get to an NFL team in college football with their offensive schemes that has Norm Chow written all over it.
Their defense isn't that strong, but have you seen how the Texans run their offense? lol
Andre Johnson is injured so I would stack 9 guys in the box to stop Davis. You know that line isn't going to block anyone, so I do think the Trojans may have a chance. Instead of giving up their regular 19 sacks a game, maybe Carr will only get sacked 4 times versus USC. I honestly do not think the Texans can match the firepower offensively of USC. The college game is faster than many think, the disparity isn't as great as it was even 10 years ago. Kids are getting faster, stronger, and the coaches of the top schools are all implimenting professional schemes though not as complex and not as many. Game planning and scouting however is at a whole different level in the NFL and that's where the Texans have the upper hand. When it comes to pure talent, speed, and skill, USC is right there with the Texans IMHO.

Contact Me
Old 10-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

what a lovely beating the horns gave the red raiders today. i expected them to cover - but damn - that was just sick. while their d gave up the yards, they didn't give up the points, and that's what matters. except for those VT fans (possibly Georgia/Alabama) who in the country doesn't want to see USC vs Texas in the Rose Bowl?
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am very excited about the latest BCS rankings.... to be honest I never bought into Tech being that great.

But, you gotta play the games on the schedule. And if us beating Tech into submission gives us more respect, then I say excellent.

Hook Em'.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Is it conceivable that USC gets jumped in the bcs? Can you imagine the scene if they were the team to get jumped? I think texas is better but I think USC should still be 1st until they lose.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

? USC did get jumped today by Texas in the BCS. Or did you mean get jumped again?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

I mean again. Can you imagine the uproar if they are undefeated and dont play in the NC game? The uproar would be deserved btw. I dont really care first or second cus you still end up playing in the NC game.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 AM   #17
alby
Guru

USC is going to jump Texas before the season is over and regain #1 while Texas falls back to #2, the computers just did this to spice things up a little.. seriously

USC has 6-2 Cal and 5-1 Fresno State and unbeaten UCLA left...

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2005, 01:48 AM   #18
alby
Guru

#3 Va Tech

October 27 - No. 13 Boston College
November 5 - No. 6 Miami
November 19 - at Virginia
November 26 - North Carolina

#4 Georgia

October 29 - at No. 16 Florida
November 12 - No. 19 Auburn
November 19 - Kentucky
November 26 - at Georgia Tech

#5 Alabama
October 29 - Utah State
November 5 - at Mississippi St.
November 12 - No. 7 LSU
November 19 - at No. 19 Auburn

Obviously, Texas has the easiest schedule to finish out the season so it'll be an extremely interesting finish.
If Georgia falls to Chris Leak and Florida this week, it would move Miami up into the Top 5 which sets up the November 5 game between #3 Va Tech and maybe #5 Miami to be the biggest game of the year with huge NC implications.

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

The computers only factor in opponents won-loss record for strength of schedule and UT is safe as long as they win out convincgly enough to not have the human voters drop them.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

I cannot believe that ocelot made me argue for UT.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

damn.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

I honestly think UT (ugh) is a better TEAM than USC. The NCAA and NFL used to hold a game (many many years ago) annually that pitted a weaker NFL team against a better NCAA team. The results were split.

Bottom line is that very good NCAA teams are not that far off talent wise than bad NFL teams. Argue away but it's the way it is.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #22
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Bottom line is that very good NCAA teams are not that far off talent wise than bad NFL teams. Argue away but it's the way it is.
No college team would even compete with an NFL team. The team size and speed of the NFL team would be extremely overwhelming for a team of 18-22 year olds.

And for those that would say that the Texans O-line would get dominated against a good college team's D-line.
Houston Texans O-line: What they accomplished while in College.
RT - Todd Wade - First-team All-SEC, second team All-American at Ole Miss.
RG - Zach Wiegert - Outland trophy winner (top interior lineman), Concensus 1st team All-American at Nebraska.
C - Steve McKinney - All-Big 12, three year starter at Texas A&M.
LG - Todd Washington - First team All-Big East, four year starter at Virginia Tech.
LT - Chester Pitts - First-team All-Mountain West Conference, third-team All-America at San Diego State.

They are in the NFL because they are the best in the world at what they do. The reason why teams in the NFL are bad is only because they dont have more of the 'best in the world at what they do' than the next team does.
Another example is the Arizona Cardinals: Players that were dominate college players
Anquan Boldin
Larry Fitzgerald
Bryant Johnson
JJ Arrington
Leonard Davis
Elton Brown
Darnell Dockett
Karlos Dansby
Lance Mitchell
Darryl Blackstock
Those are guys that they have drafted just in the last couple years, its like a college All-star team right?
If those guys were in college right now on the same team, it would be the best collection of talent on a college team ever. But in the NFL, half those players are backups on a horrible team.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

How awesome of a QB was David Carr in college? How pedestrian has he been in the NFL? He would have a field day against a college defense. On the other hand, VY/Leinhart would both struggle. Why? No experience with those schemes. Look at Carson Palmer. He's just NOW starting to get "it."
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #24
AnMan21

i agree that UT would probably not beat Houston - however, I do believe it would be closer than imagined. the reason carr has been a pedistrian NFL QB is because he has about 2 seconds to throw. when his receivers are running 3 second routes - that makes it kinda tough. the Texan OLine is horrid - plain and simple. UT's D is quite good - and it's not a stretch to say most of the starting D will be playing on Sundays. I almost would give the edge to UT here - group the inept Texan playcalling with the awful line, mediocre RB & WRs, and jittery QB - and a decent agrument for UT can be made.

On the flip side of the ball the OLine for UT is full of Sunday players. VY, while he might not perform well with the D schemes, still has the ability to run the football (ala Michael Vick when he didn't understand the NFL D's, but still terrorized them). The edge would go to the Texans here though. The team speed would somewhat limit VY (he'd still get some yards, but couldn't win the game solely with his feet). The OLine could probably provide enough protection for him to throw, but that's where he'd get in trouble - he'd make mistakes misunderstanding coverages.

Special teams would go to Houston - because UT is pretty weak in this dept.

Houston's about as miserable a team I've ever seen play (and i don't think it's unrealistic to believe they can go 0-16), but I still think they should beat a college team such as UT or USC. however, if UT was able to make a big play here or there, they could definitely be in a position to pull the upset in the 4th.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

I think Texas would have a better shot because they have better linemen. A big difference is that I dont see ML playing more than a half against an nfl team on this current USC team. He would get hurt. If you were gonna play a college vs pro team you need a mobile qb. I think it could be a close game and maybe 1 out of 10 shot that UT pulls it out but college teams arent as good as pro teams. Even bad ones.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Texans lineman, as a unit, is better than any collegiate unit.

Would you expect Vince Young to have 5 seconds to pass versus ANY NFL defense? Well...obviously some of you would, 'cause you drink too much cool-aid.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #27
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

What he said ^
Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

It's only opinion not fact. Fact is the game would be competitive. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 AM   #29
alby
Guru

(3) Virginia Tech - 30
(13) Boston College - 10

Who will be the odd team left out?

Contact Me
Old 10-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand it either. Mack Brown single-handedly seems to have re-vitalized Texas. Certainly the best shape they have been in over 20 years. I had the same discussion with a Texas Tech fan two years ago. In fact I took a cool $40 bucks from him when he said that brown would be fired by the next time they played at UT.

Mack sounds like the kind of guy that will keep them on top for years and years. Even if there are some playcalling difficulties, his assetts so outweigh those, that it comes off like spilt milk.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:28 AM   #31
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

He's the second best recruiter...that much is certain.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I think that most UT coaches will be known at least as solid recruiters due to the pure number of guys that just fall into their laps. UT is one of those places (like a Notre Dame, Miami, etc) that guys just want to play for. No smack on Mack Brown here, just tossing out a little built in advantage that a lot of people like to overlook.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #33
AnMan21

Quote:
I think that most UT coaches will be known at least as solid recruiters due to the pure number of guys that just fall into their laps. UT is one of those places (like a Notre Dame, Miami, etc) that guys just want to play for. No smack on Mack Brown here, just tossing out a little built in advantage that a lot of people like to overlook.
Yes, but Mack was also able to get recruits to come to UNC - not a program most tend to "want" to play for. His recruiting is hands down the best aspect of his coaching.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

I dont know doc. Recently ND has had some trouble landing recruits and UT sure wasnt doing anything before brown got there. BTW how is Bush still ahead of Young on the heisman watch? Bush has a little over 100 more yards rushing on 8 more carries. Young should CLEARLY be in the lead right now. I dont think he should have it locked up but he should definitely be in the lead.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #35
AnMan21

ESPN has VY ahead of Bush on the Heisman watch this morning. regardless of the competition, should VY win the Heisman, the signature game will surely be the OkSt. game...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
ESPN has VY ahead of Bush on the Heisman watch this morning. regardless of the competition, should VY win the Heisman, the signature game will surely be the OkSt. game...
Yes, by a VERY slim margin.

I think there are 2 votes seperating the two on that particular poll.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Who says Bush is ahead? That's not a certainty. I am willing to lay a C-note down that says Young will be entrenched as teh favorite after this weeks game in Waco. I am not looking forward to the score, but I am looking forward to seeing UT play. I do love my college football and UT is one of the best teams that I have ever seen right now.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

I guarantee you now having seen them play in person that UT wins the National Championship. If they play USC it won't even be close.

And if anyone continues to say they couldn't beat the Texans, they are just wrong. This UT team may be one of the top 3 football teams ever put together in NCAA history. They are scary good.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #39
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is we are NOW in the game... We will be playing Kansas, A&M, and likely Colorado a second time and I see easy victories in all three games, (I thought A&M at Kyle Field MIGHT be tough, but A&M just got SPANKED by Tech)...

USC you better be f'n ready for Young... You might want to watch last year's Rose Bowl as to how he can put a team on his back...

I want to shove a USC loss down Mr. Cowherd's throat, (Colin is on USC's balls more than anyone else in the world)...

GO HORNS!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #40
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
All I know is we are NOW in the game... We will be playing Kansas, A&M, and likely Colorado a second time and I see easy victories in all three games, (I thought A&M at Kyle Field MIGHT be tough, but A&M just got SPANKED by Tech)...

USC you better be f'n ready for Young... You might want to watch last year's Rose Bowl as to how he can put a team on his back...

I want to shove a USC loss down Mr. Cowherd's throat, (Colin is on USC's balls more than anyone else in the world)...

GO HORNS!!!
IMO, USC should be worried about the speed of the Longhorn defense. Marcus Vick and company saw first hand how a fast/athletic defense can dominate a game. The Rose Bowl will be a hell of a game this year. Vince for Heisman

Contact Me