Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #441
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring more specifically (though I didn't do a good job of communicating it...) to the not aging. Sawyer clearly aged after Jacob touched him. Kate, etc.

Obviously they cannot harm themselves.

But as Richard said...other people can harm them, evidently. Locke is proof positive.

Richard isn't a candidate though, so not all Jacob gifts are the same.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #442
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Ok...SO HOW DID JACK STOP THE DYNAMITE????
Was that dead Jacob's doing? The Island's doing? Or some how is Jack channeling some new found power now that he is a Believer? (Ala, Locke's ability to predict rain, etc, once he became in touch with the island)
One way to see it is that Jack would have killed himself too, which he can't do. So it didn't explode.

Another way to see it, is that maybe Richard just can't die.

I don't know if I enjoyed seeing Richard frazzled and vulnerable. I've always liked his kind of...omnipresent way he has about him.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #443
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I'm on Team Xerxes.

I think candidates can not off themselves, and I think Richard and Linus were both candidates.

I'm leaning towards immortality for the candidates as well (to a limited degree I guess..not HEROES type immortality).

Afterall, they did survive TWO plane crashes.
the only way I see that being reasonable is if the immortality is limited to the island.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #444
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post

I don't know if I enjoyed seeing Richard frazzled and vulnerable. I've always liked his kind of...omnipresent way he has about him.
exactly. I hate Richard looking like a punk and Jack having answers...that just aint right.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #445
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

there was a nice symmetry (or asymmetry) to the end of last week's episode and this week's....last week with the very creepy vibe as Flocke's recruits creeped out of the temple and this week's happy homecoming party on the beach as Jack, Ben, Sun, Hurley etc. gathered 'round.

Alex Rosseau....still hot. I was thinking some statutorily unacceptable thoughts last night.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #446
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

BTW...I like that they've returned to the beach. I even liked the three of them (hurley, jack, richard) coming around the corner the way so many others seemingly did in the early seasons. It was nicely reminiscent of the way things used to be, cheesy though it was. Back to the beach!

I wonder where they're going to park that sub...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #447
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Alex Rosseau....still hot. I was thinking some statutorily unacceptable thoughts last night.
Actress is 21 now...just sayin...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #448
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actress is 21 now...just sayin...
but I was picturing her in a girl scout uniform selling cookies. I'm pretty sure that's wrong even if she is 21.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #449
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm on Team Xerxes.
finally, after years on this board, someone joins my team! i am reveling in the moment. basking in the sunlight of team xerxes. thank you mary.

yeah- i think youre onto something sike- i forgot about michael. but surely other candidates have died. i guess they just can't off themselves...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #450
sike
The Preacha

So FLocke tells Sawyer that no one needs to protect the Island...and then tells Ben that he wants Ben to stay behind and take care of the Island.

Is this the first example of Smoky telling a lie...or did I miss something?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #451
sike
The Preacha

Will we ever get Smoky's name??? has anyone read Cuse or Lindloff answer that question??

Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #452
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I have no reason to believe a thing Smocke has said to this point.

He's obviously a master-manipulator like Dr. Linus.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #453
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I have no reason to believe a thing Smocke has said to this point.

He's obviously a master-manipulator like Dr. Linus.
There was talk that it might not be as clear as good (jacob) vs evil (smokey).

But I think that really will be how things clean up.

and to my question, is this the first clear lie we've heard him tell??

Last edited by sike; 03-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #454
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling we will never know his name. Kind of leave that to your imagination.... like the Sopranos ending but not as impact-full. I'm sticking with Esau until told otherwise by someone that created the show.

edit - and sike, I think so...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-10-2010 at 03:12 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #455
sike
The Preacha

Interesting comment from Miles to Ben...that Jacob's last thought was that maybe he was wrong about Ben.

that is telling about Jacob and Ben.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #456
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

and to my question, is this the first clear lie we've heard him tell??
Well he told Sawyer the island doesn't need protecting.

I'd like to think that's not true.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #457
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

A couple things. Richard never said he didn't age/is immortal because Jacob touched him. He went on to say Jacob gave him a gift/deal. I think Richard's immortality/inability to age is more of a personal deal with Jacob than a "Jacob merely touched me" thing.

Also, IF Widemore is on Team MiB, maybe MiB merely wanted Ben to come with him to serve up as a offering of sorts to Widemore (seeing as how Widemore hates Ben, and maybe the sub is MiB's ticket off the island?)
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #458
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

How is it that the child of two French people ends up in high school in America (presumably in the LA area?) and speaks perfect English without an accent?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #459
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you guys have summed up the episode well, so I will just add:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1930328
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #460
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agreed. It's an pre-biblical archetype, and they're going to use it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #461
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Oh, I see.
Yeah the island existed and we know the dharma folk were there because of the scene in the first episode of this season where they take us under water and you see the barracks.

Great stuff this week. Michael Emerson's speech about killing Jacob out of hurt, fear, and anger was great. Really like that dude as an actor.

Still kind of wondering about Jin. I have a feeling he's with Sawyer.

Also, are we ever going to see that little boy that Smocke (I like that one or MiB) chased, again?

I'm not too worried about the immortal thing. I've been pondering it for so long that now I'm numb to it. So I'll just sit back and wait for the explaination when it gets here.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)

Last edited by bobbyfg7; 03-11-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #462
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

IF Jacob is good, its definitely an old-testament-i'm-good-but-i'll-still-whip-out-the-seven-plagues-on-your-ass type good.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #463
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I see people on the internets asking if it's possible that Widmore helped Locke the way he did, because he knew that Smokey wanted to use his dead body image thing. Indicating that Widmore will be on the side of the MiB.

I don't know about that...I mean we saw Widmore in his island-leader days. He seemed pretty much in the service of Jacob just like Ben was.

Could Widmore have found the island as a result of Jacob dying? Did that somehow..."unprotect" the island?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #464
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
IF Jacob is good, its definitely an old-testament-i'm-good-but-i'll-still-whip-out-the-seven-plagues-on-your-ass type good.
That's the kind of "good" I like...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #465
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Well he told Sawyer the island doesn't need protecting.

I'd like to think that's not true.
Uh...that was my original question.

Since he told Sawyer the island doesn't need protecting and tells Ben someone has to stay behind to protect it...is this the first clear cut lie we've caught smokey in??

I can't really think of another. He seems pretty straight up thus far...

(of course it could all be lies and we just haven't had that revealed to us yet)

Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #466
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post
That's the kind of "good" I like...
Indeed. If Jacob is good...its "plan" good or "agenda" good. Its that, "I know what is best and I'm going to do whatever it takes to see it through", kind of good.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #467
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Agreed. It's an pre-biblical archetype, and they're going to use it. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I agree. Dark vs. Light has been a long built up theme in this show...and is the most classic story telling of all...not only is there nothing wrong with it, but I think it is a good idea to cling to such types for such a great show.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #468
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree. Dark vs. Light has been a long built up theme in this show...and is the most classic story telling of all...not only is there nothing wrong with it, but I think it is a good idea to cling to such types for such a great show.
I agree...and THAT is why the final two characters will be Rose and Bernard!!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #469
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post
I agree...and THAT is why the final two characters will be Rose and Bernard!!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #470
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I have no idea what we'll get tonight.

I have a feeling we'll be back to rising action, and another kate-like episode of setup for something good to come later.

Or...or...it's the final season, so who knows? Shouldn't people be dying? They have an ass load of characters. I'd think there would be some dying going on..
Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #471
XERXES
Diamond Member

umm what was that?

but in other news, next week looks rad!!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #472
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Next week looks outstanding.

And Charlotte was looking fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine tonight, boy. And that first chick he slept with too.

Sawyer just kind of assumed what Widmore wanted. I wanted Widmore to say it. I think Widmore is there to help, but I am still not really sure about that. I guess the pylons prove it, but still. Why is anyone operating under the assumption that smokey can die anyway?

And how did they find the island, dammit?

I am not even going to attempt to tackle the 4,000 inconsistencies revealed in flash-sideways land today, the most heinous of which was Miles' implication that his father was alive. That makes zero sense.

I like that Sawyer is working both angles. It's so vintage Sawyer.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #473
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Next week looks outstanding.

And Charlotte was looking fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine tonight, boy. And that first chick he slept with too.

Sawyer just kind of assumed what Widmore wanted. I wanted Widmore to say it. I think Widmore is there to help, but I am still not really sure about that. I guess the pylons prove it, but still. Why is anyone operating under the assumption that smokey can die anyway?

And how did they find the island, dammit?

I am not even going to attempt to tackle the 4,000 inconsistencies revealed in flash-sideways land today, the most heinous of which was Miles' implication that his father was alive. That makes zero sense.

I like that Sawyer is working both angles. It's so vintage Sawyer.
There have been such an incredible amount of obvious inconsistencies in the timelines - Ben's dad's presence, Ben's presence, Miles having a dad, etc. - that I don't think we're seeing what we assume we're seeing.

It's been pretty easy to find the island since the end of season 3. Same reason the freighter got to it. I'm sure Widmore's aware of the funky time effects and stuff that Dan investigated, and so his sub would be able to reach the island properly.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #474
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
There have been such an incredible amount of obvious inconsistencies in the timelines - Ben's dad's presence, Ben's presence, Miles having a dad, etc. - that I don't think we're seeing what we assume we're seeing.

It's been pretty easy to find the island since the end of season 3. Same reason the freighter got to it. I'm sure Widmore's aware of the funky time effects and stuff that Dan investigated, and so his sub would be able to reach the island properly.
Why is that inconsistent?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #475
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Why is that inconsistent?
Ben's dad would have died in the explosion of the hydrogen bomb, if that's what we're going off of.

The people who left the island before the bomb went off left anyway. We have no indication that it had anything to do with the bomb going off. We know this because young Miles and Charlotte both left the island, in every timeline That is history. History only got changed when the bomb went off. Therefore, we know that Ben's dad never left the island, because Ben would later grow up to kill him. Ben's dad was on the island when the bomb went off.

There are many things that would have to be changed, that we have indication of, in order for this side-flash to work.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #476
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Widemore might have found the island because of that journal he bought at the auction. I forget which season, 3 or 4 I think, where Charles bought the journal of one of the Hanso's that was on the black rock.

A lot of people didn't seem to like this episode and I don't understand why. I liked it a lot.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #477
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post

Well, bens Dad I assumed was on the sub (along with Ben, though they never showed it on camera).

The island WAS easy to find, but then Ben moved it and Faraday said he'd have to calculate a "new bearing." Maybe Jacobs death changed something, or...well...I guess Eloise knew how to find it anyway, so never mind. She probably told him, for one reason or another.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #478
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

And let me just say, I was happy to see the submarine folks this week. It would have been so classic LOST to show us Widmore last week, and then not get back to it for 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #479
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Locke's speech to Kate.... although I guess we don't have insight into Esau's thoughts about his mother helping Jacob to get his brothers birthright..... even though there is a recorded reconciliation (between brothers) maybe Esau still harbored mommy issues? (no, i'm not giving this up)
Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #480
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I was inclined to believe what he was saying about his mother to a certain extent. I cant figure out exactly why he was telling her that though.

It would be interesting if the Jacob/MIB thing is a pissing match over some birth right or impressing their mommy...or maybe a "squire of gothos" kind of thing.