Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #2041
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
KP Instagram shows him wearing Mavs City Edition jerseys. Looks like those leaked white/gold ones are them. Yuck.
Yep, not a fan.

The classic ones are the way to go for the holidays. Even the t-shirt versions of the classic jersey are really nice.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #2042
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Idk about who's a better fit starting and I have read this idea on twitter. I just think people are jaded to think that Rick-Rick is gonna go away from DFS in the SLU unless its a clear upgrade and this ain't it. I don't hate the idea personally but Rick is loyal to guys that work hard and climb the ladder.... Like DFS amd POWell. If those guys are avail amd ready to go, they will have to play themselves out of the SLU... Bet that.
I know how RC operates which is why I don't have high hopes that he'll run with that lineup but it should've been clear in the bubble that Maxi & DFS aren't guys that should be playing 30+ mins if you have aspirations to compete. Maxi played big minutes and his offense went in the tank and DFS is too small to play significant minutes at the 4 and not good enough to beat out THJ or Richardson at the 3. As for Powell, his game was built off athleticism and he had the one injury that usually takes a good portion of that away. I don't expect him to be the same player. I see him as a 10-15 minute guy this year. Now, if he comes back the same player he was before the injury then we're having a different discussion.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #2043
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Bam got paid

Heat can’t sign Giannis. So either they know something or they intend a sign and trade next year using Bam as the centerpiece
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #2044
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Bam got paid

Heat can’t sign Giannis. So either they know something or they intend a sign and trade next year using Bam as the centerpiece
If Giannis wants to go there, then the Heat will make it happen. We've seen this story time and time again.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #2045
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not so quick to say Terry won't be ready for important minutes. Again, I don't think people are giving enough credit to the changes we may see like a shortened season with players coming back so soon, load management and covid crap. At any point our guys could have to step up and play. The biggest hurdle in the rookies getting meaningful minutes is Rick doing Rick things. I'll be surprised if the kids aren't called on more than they normally would.
Terry checks just about every box to become a Carlisle pet. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get more opportunity than any of the other rookies.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #2046
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Bam got paid

I wouldn't buy into that....

I guranteed you if they want Giannis and He wants to go there they will make it happen.

I no longer think that salary cap stuff works anymore.....

Teams find a way around it and they can get rid of bad contacts.

They told us Chris Paul couldn't be traded because of his contract and that dude has been moved twice now LOL
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #2047
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ2003 View Post
I know how RC operates which is why I don't have high hopes that he'll run with that lineup but it should've been clear in the bubble that Maxi & DFS aren't guys that should be playing 30+ mins if you have aspirations to compete. Maxi played big minutes and his offense went in the tank and DFS is too small to play significant minutes at the 4 and not good enough to beat out THJ or Richardson at the 3. As for Powell, his game was built off athleticism and he had the one injury that usually takes a good portion of that away. I don't expect him to be the same player. I see him as a 10-15 minute guy this year. Now, if he comes back the same player he was before the injury then we're having a different discussion.
Maxi was forced to defend Leonard in the playoffs so that took his away from his defensive strengths which is help D at the rim. It also zapped his legs on the offensive end.

As for DFS I'm not sure why people keep trying to send this dude to the bench or trade him away.

I love his work ethic and to me he's a combination of Marion and young Josh Howard. In terms of skill set and versatility....

Unless your replacing him or benching him for all star player, I don't see anything that backs up your opinion that he's not good for 30 minutes per night.

He's a legit starter in this league now. He wasn't a few years ago but he is now.

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-24-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #2048
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If Giannis wants to go there, then the Heat will make it happen. We've seen this story time and time again.
I addressed that in the second part of my comment

The Heat will make Bam the centerpiece of the trade. There is no other way it could work (unless Giannis takes pay cut)
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #2049
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The Heat will make Bam the centerpiece of the trade. There is no other way it could work (unless Giannis takes pay cut)
The Heat could (and should) trade Jimmy Butler if Giannis wants to go there and they don't have the cap space.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #2050
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
KP Instagram shows him wearing Mavs City Edition jerseys. Looks like those leaked white/gold ones are them. Yuck.
They are going to sell a shitload of these to Real fans
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #2051
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I was put of town all weekend, so this is the first I’m seeing of this trade. Also saw Boogie is heading to Houston too.

Mark Berman: #Rockets make it official: acquired free agent forward/center Christian Wood from Detroit as part of a sign-and-trade. The Rockets traded forward Trevor Ariza, the rights to Isaiah Stewart (16th pick in 2020 NBA Draft), a future Houston second round pick, and cash…
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #2052
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I was put of town all weekend, so this is the first I’m seeing of this trade. Also saw Boogie is heading to Houston too.

Mark Berman: #Rockets make it official: acquired free agent forward/center Christian Wood from Detroit as part of a sign-and-trade. The Rockets traded forward Trevor Ariza, the rights to Isaiah Stewart (16th pick in 2020 NBA Draft), a future Houston second round pick, and cash…
Old 11-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #2053
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

There is rumor spreading that AD is waiting to see what Giannis does before he signs his contract.

I guess LA might be a potential landing spot with him and AD playing together in LeBron's final years.

I wouldn't put it past the Lakers
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #2054
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

WCS: “I’ve been working on [my jumper] under the table, but now I’ve cracked the code.”
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #2055
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

WCS: “I’ve been working on [my jumper] under the table, but now I’ve cracked the code.”
Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #2056
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
He’s looked great in his Instagram video. Lots of work on his shot and ball handling.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #2057
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://twitter.com/thewilliecs15/st...346030594?s=21
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #2058
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dayum.Thats impressive. I hope like hell all this work translates.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #2059
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Maybe it will? At least there aren’t cuts so it does appear to be consecutive— not shooting all afternoon to make a few and then cutting it to look like he never misses

But shooting in a gym is different than game.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #2060
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
If his shots hit, then I think it will. Height still matters when shooting.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #2061
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, I never trust video of anything in a gym. I need to see it in a game. The fact is, just practicing, most of these guys can shoot from anywhere. I remember for years going to games, seeing the guys warm up before the start, and watching Erick Dampier swish jumpshot after jumpshot, clean through the bottom of the net, over and over again. For YEARS I watched this. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually saw him make a jumpshot in a game.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #2062
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Got to give up to the Hawks they killed it this offseason

Bogdanovic and Gallo next to Young

Also added some solid defenders

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-24-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #2063
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Maxi was forced to defend Leonard in the playoffs so that took his away from his defensive strengths which is help D at the rim. It also zapped his legs on the offensive end.

As for DFS I'm not sure why people keep trying to send this dude to the bench or trade him away.

I love his work ethic and to me he's a combination of Marion and young Josh Howard. In terms of skill set and versatility....

Unless your replacing him or benching him for all star player, I don't see anything that backs up your opinion that he's not good for 30 minutes per night.

He's a legit starter in this league now. He wasn't a few years ago but he is now.
Has DFS improved? Sure. Should he be playing 30 mins/night for a team that wanys to contend? No. This is a classic case of Dallas fans overrating their own again. I remember folks on this board saying they wouldn't include Josh Howard in a deal for Kevin Garnett. Earlier this summer, people on this board said they wouldn't include Maxi on a deal that would bring back Aaron Gordon. DFS has this reputation amongst Dallas fans that he's some lockdown defender yet we get lit up by every single top guard and wing in the league. He was decent against Pandemic P but I'm not sure if that was his defense or PG13's mental block. I lean more towards the latter.

You want to start DFS at the 4 and if we play the Clippers, is he going to guard Marcus Morris, Serge Ibaka or Kawhi? We already saw him get bullied by Kawhi and don't need to see that again. If we play the Lakers, is he going to guard Lebron? How about AD? Yeah, I don't think so. He's not better than Richardson or THJ and can't guard 4s, 5s or even big 3s. Why are folks so determined to shoehorn him into the starting lineup again?

Last edited by GQ2003; 11-24-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #2064
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Has DFS improved? Sure. Should he be playing 30 mins/night for a team that wanys to contend? No. This is a classic case of Dallas fans overrating their own again. I remember folks on this board saying they wouldn't include Josh Howard in a deal for Kevin Garnett. Earlier this summer, people on this board said they wouldn't include Maxi on a deal that would bring back Aaron Gordon. DFS has this reputation amongst Dallas fans that he's some lockdown defender yet we get lit up by every single top guard and wing in the league. He was decent against Pandemic P but I'm not sure if that was his defense or PG13's mental block. I lean more towards the latter.

You want to start DFS at the 4 and if we play the Clippers, is he going to guard Marcus Morris, Serge Ibaka or Kawhi? We already saw him get bullied by Kawhi and don't need to see that again. If we play the Lakers, is he going to guard Lebron? How about AD? Yeah, I don't think so. He's not better than Richardson or THJ and can't guard 4s, 5s or even big 3s. Why are folks so determined shoehorn him into the starting lineup again?
Thanks for you advice

I disagree that he can't defend certain wings i think he matches up pretty good with 2's and 3's and some 4's. I've never seen him defend 5's and why would you want him to do that anyway?

BTW I'm not over valuing him I'm just appreciating what he brings to the table and I've seen starters in other lineups that have played on conference championship teams and NBA Finals teams that you could say shouldn't be starting.

DFS is fine....is he a all star NO but the fact that you think he's not a legit starter is debatable.

Final decision goes to RC on who starts and all I'm going to say is DFS has been those in lineups for most of the last 2 years and I fully expect him to be there again this year despite some Mavs fans always throwing shade at him.

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-24-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #2065
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Ryan Broekhoff has agreed to a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers, agent Andy Shiffman told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Australian wing was waived by the Dallas Mavericks in February after two seasons and was picked up by the 76ers in June ahead of the restart, but he did not participate in the Florida bubble. He has shot 40.3% on 3-pointers in his NBA career.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #2066
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe it will? At least there aren’t cuts so it does appear to be consecutive— not shooting all afternoon to make a few and then cutting it to look like he never misses

Yea. Thats the impressive part. Its not edited. Being able to consecutively hit those, with repeatable form while also running, dunking and resetting is nice. It looked like a consistent stroke.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #2067
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
What? Would shock me that any team would take Crowder over DFS at this point in their careers.
Huh? What exactly is wrong with Jae Crowder?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #2068
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jesus. I wish Giannis would just sign the extension already so I don't have to read about him being a Mav anymore and everyone can move fwd with reality.
That's what sucks. This false hope won't stop until he re-signs and I feel like he knows right now if he's going to re-sign or not.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #2069
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

You want to start DFS at the 4 and if we play the Clippers, is he going to guard Marcus Morris, Serge Ibaka or Kawhi? We already saw him get bullied by Kawhi and don't need to see that again. If we play the Lakers, is he going to guard Lebron? How about AD? Yeah, I don't think so. He's not better than Richardson or THJ and can't guard 4s, 5s or even big 3s. Why are folks so determined shoehorn him into the starting lineup again?
No one on any roster is stopping Lebron or Kawhi. Dfs can definitely guard Morris and I wouldnt even worry about Ibaka. Good thing is we aren't playing the lakers and clippers every night.

James johnson is a heavier defender and if he is better its not by a lot. Again, good luck with Rick replacing these tenured guys who have worked their way into their spots. They will have to play their way out of what they have earned. I think we all hoped to upgrade DFS but we haven't done that yet.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #2070
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Roster to start the season:

Doncic - Brunson - Burke - JJB - Terry
THJ - Green
JRich - Iwundu - Hinton
DFS - Kleber - Johnson - Bey
WCS - Powell - Boban

Injured: Porzingis

My best guess at active 12 is the top 2 at each position + Burke and Johnson. I think when KP comes back he will take Johnson’s spot. I think JJB gets cut after training camp and returns as a coach if he can’t find another gig. Truly a much better all around team, our biggest question is going to be outside shooting. If we can ship out Brunson for a late first round pick, we should seriously consider it.
I think THJ or Richardson are going to be coming off the bench for us and Brunson is going to run point from that second unit. I think Brunson is better than whatever we get with that late first round pick if we could even get that. Its suppose to be a deep draft so I don't even know if a team would do that.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #2071
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
If his shots hit, then I think it will. Height still matters when shooting.
It does. If he brings that into games then our team changes quite a bit.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #2072
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yep.....Come up with a package that includes Bam or Jimmy Butler...this doesn't change anything if that's where Giannis wants to go.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #2073
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I think THJ or Richardson are going to be coming off the bench for us and Brunson is going to run point from that second unit. I think Brunson is better than whatever we get with that late first round pick if we could even get that. Its suppose to be a deep draft so I don't even know if a team would do that.
Almost no chance either of them come off the bench IMO. The whole reason to have JRich is to pair him with Luka for the quicker guards. Thj is still our 3rd best offensive threat and I don't see him taking a backseat to anyone we have on the bench. Things may change but if the roster remains the same when we start, I'd put my money on Like,THJ,Jrich starting.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #2074
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Almost no chance either of them come off the bench IMO. The whole reason to have JRich is to pair him with Luka for the quicker guards. Thj is still our 3rd best offensive threat and I don't see him taking a backseat to anyone we have on the bench. Things may change but if the roster remains the same when we start, I'd put my money on Like,THJ,Jrich starting.
I think its possible. I'm not saying Richardson and Hardaway won't get playing time. I'm not saying they won't be out there in the 4th quarter of games. Manu Ginobilli didn't start and neither did Jason Terry but they were gettin 30 minutes a night and they were out there in crucial minutes.

I just say that because I think they'd want more scoring off the bench...maybe they feel like Burke and co. will be enough. If those rookies are ready I'll change my opinion but I don't see those rookies getting play this season honestly aside from minimal minutes and garbage time.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:20 PM   #2075
GQ2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Thanks for you advice

I disagree that he can't defend certain wings i think he matches up pretty good with 2's and 3's and some 4's. I've never seen him defend 5's and why would you want him to do that anyway?

BTW I'm not over valuing him I'm just appreciating what he brings to the table and I've seen starters in other lineups that have played on conference championship teams and NBA Finals teams that you could say shouldn't be starting.

DFS is fine....is he a all star NO but the fact that you think he's not a legit starter is debatable.

Final decision goes to RC on who starts and all I'm going to say is DFS has been those in lineups for most of the last 2 years and I fully expect him to be there again this year despite some Mavs fans always throwing shade at him.
Which 4s can he guard? We get lit up by every single top level guard/wing in the league. Lebron, Kawhi, Harden, Lillard, Booker, Beal, Mitchell, even Derozan and Lowry. If he's this great defender please show me who he has shut down or even slowed down. DFS has developed into a solid player but as I've stated time and time again, he can't guard 4s or even the bigger 3s and he's not better than either of Richardson or THJ. I'm not throwing shade at him but I see him for what he is. I also think Iwundu could develop into the exact same player as DFS if given the opportunity fwiw.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #2076
GQ2003

Quote:
No one on any roster is stopping Lebron or Kawhi. Dfs can definitely guard Morris and I wouldnt even worry about Ibaka. Good thing is we aren't playing the lakers and clippers every night.

James johnson is a heavier defender and if he is better its not by a lot. Again, good luck with Rick replacing these tenured guys who have worked their way into their spots. They will have to play their way out of what they have earned. I think we all hoped to upgrade DFS but we haven't done that yet.
If DFS could guard Marcus Morris we don't get swept by the freaking Knicks last year. DFS has been starting for most of the last two years because there were no other options. After we traded away Barnes & Wes we basically had no wings so he started by default. We then decided not to pursue any in free agency, the draft or through trades last year so there he was again in the starting lineup. There's a reason we've gone wing heavy in the draft, through trades and through free agency and its because DFS wasn't good enough. Doesn't mean that he isn't solid in his own right but he's not good enough. You mentioned Johnson just being heavier and if he's better than DFS then it's not by much. I'm sorry but DFS couldn't dream of having this type of impact vs Lebron:

https://youtu.be/PMsbSXQqyRQ

Last edited by GQ2003; 11-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #2077
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
If DFS could guard Marcus Morris we don't get swept by the freaking Knicks last year. DFS has been starting for most of the last two years because there were no other options. After we traded away Barnes & Wes we basically had no wings so he started by default. We then decided not to pursue any in free agency, the draft or through trades last year so there he was again in the starting lineup. There's a reason we've gone wing heavy in the draft, through trades and through free agency and its because DFS wasn't good enough. Doesn't mean that he isn't solid in his own right but he's not good enough. You mentioned Johnson just being heavier and if he's better than DFS then it's not by much. I'm sorry but DFS couldn't dream of having this type of impact vs Lebron:

That’s a pretty impressive compilation
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:57 PM   #2078
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Don't be sorry. He had a great game vs Lebron, but I can show you a few Vids where Lebron obliterates James Johnson. Also a video where Luka blocks Lebron 2x in one posession. You can find dfs defensive highlight videos too. You can argue until you're blue in the face about who starts but if you've been a Mav fan since Rick has been around, you should know what to expect.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #2079
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Nov 30 - Mavs players check in for testing
Dec 1 - camp starts
Dec 11-19 - preseason
Dec 22 - regular season starts

Camp starts a week from today, all

I’m hyped

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-25-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #2080
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Nov 30 - Mavs players check in for testing
Dec 1 - camp starts
Dec 11-19 - preseason
Dec 22 - regular season starts