Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Wallace Trade that Makes the Most Sense to Me.

I know the Rasheed Wallace rumors have caught fire once again. There's really only been one trade that has made a lot of sense to me from both Dallas and Portland's perspective.

Here's what we think we know:
1. Portland wants to continue their playoff streak.
2. Portland wants to clean up their image.
3. Portland wants a forward to play next to Zach.
4. Portland wants to keep salary cap flexibility.
5. Portland would like to ship out other "bad apples"

Sinec the beginning of the season, I've thought the conversation between the two teams should (or would) go a little something like this.

1. Dallas expresses interest in Rasheed dangling junk. Portland doesn't bite. The Blazers say it will take at least one of the Big Five.
2. Dallas offers Jamison and Abdul-Wahad. To take back Portland's problem child, they have to take some of our salary. Again, Portland doesn't bite.
3. Portland counteroffers with Rasheed and Ruben Patterson (bad apple) for Walker, Najera, and junk. Dallas doesn't bite. Walker is the beloved Point Forward, and Najera is too great a selling point.

Both teams continue to struggle and lose...

4. Dallas comes back and finally offers Walker. Now, talks are serious. Walker has a contract that expires the same time Stoudamire's does. This gives Portland the fexibility they've been wanting, while keeping them good enough to make the playoffs.
5. Now, if Dallas is going to offer Walker, they're going to insist on some things. Fist of all, Walker has the better stats. To get him, you have to take one of our bad contracts - Tariq Abdul-Wahad. In addition to Rasheed, we also want a Point Guard to back up Nash who can penetrate and get into the lane - McInnis. In return, we give Portland Travis Best. Travis's contract ends a season earlier than Jeff's, and he is a very capable backup.

That deal just makes too much sense to me. Maybe I just have a creative imagination though. But look at what it would do for both teams.

Dallas:
Dirk/Bradley/Fortson
Rasheed/Najera
Howard/Jamison
Finley/Delk/Daniels
Nash/McInnis

Portland:
Davis/Stepania/Boumjte
Randolph
Walker/Patterson/Woods
Anderson/Person
Stoudamire/Best

That trade would keep our versatility. It would allow Josh Howard to remain in the starting line-up. It keeps our instant offense coming off the bench, and gives us a better chance of gelling as a team. I think Jamison is the better fit for this team and is less likely to butt heads with Rasheed. Now, we have the Big Three surrounded by the glorified role-playing forwards from UNC.

This is the trade to make...Make it happen guys.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote