Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brad Miller longs for his Indiana home

Miller longs for his Indiana home
Kings center misses ex-teammates, hopes to be a Pacer again

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Brad Miller was in the Indiana Pacers' locker room after their win over Sacramento on Sunday before most of the Pacers were out of the shower.
He looked as if he belonged. He only wishes he did.

Miller, traded from Indiana to the Kings in 2003 when the negotiations for his contract spiraled out of the Pacers' self-imposed financial reach, is happy in Sacramento. He's thriving on the court, too, averaging 14.9 points on 52 percent shooting and leading the team in rebounding (7.8) and assists (5.5).

He'd be happier, however, with the Pacers, for whom he played 11/2 seasons. That's why, following their 25-point victory at Arco Arena, he all but closed his eyes, clicked his heels, and said, "There's no place like home" as he stood in their locker room.

"If it's possible, when I'm done with this, I'll try to finish up there," Miller said. "There won't be an issue of a contract. Whatever it takes. I'll take the minimum."

The minimum? Miller's contract, which does not expire until after the 2009-10 season, will pay him about $68 million. A minimum contract would be quite a drop. By then, however, Miller will be 34 and have more money than he ever dreamed of having.

"I got more money saved up now than what I can spend the rest of my life," he said. "I'd have to buy the whole state of Indiana to spend what I got."

Miller seems intent on doing just that. He already has bought several hundred acres of land in and around Kendallville, where he grew up, and is looking for 400 more on which to build a home.

He spends most of his offseason there, and will be heading there over the All-Star break. He's hoping to go ice fishing.

Miller still is a bit dumbfounded at the turn of events that made him a King. Born in Fort Wayne, raised in Kendallville and a product of East Noble High School and Purdue, he was thrilled when he was traded from Chicago to the Pacers in February 2002 as part of a seven-player deal that also brought Ron Artest to the Pacers.

He walked into CEO Donnie Walsh's office his first day with the franchise and said he wanted to sign an extension right there to ensure he would finish his career in Indiana. That was impossible under league rules, however, and when Miller's contract expired in 2003, the market had shifted out of reach for the Pacers, who were intent not to pay the luxury tax.

The best the Pacers could do was work a sign-and-trade with help from Miller's agent, Mark Bartelstein, in which the Pacers received Scot Pollard.

"They never really made an offer," Miller said of the Pacers. "I was wanting to get it done quick.

"If they hadn't paid Jeff all that money . . ."

Miller said that for the benefit of Jeff Foster, who was passing by at the moment. Foster is one of his best friends in the NBA, and the two are in frequent contact. Miller exchanged greetings with former teammates Jermaine O'Neal and Austin Croshere, and joked with people who weren't with the Pacers in his time there, such as Pollard, assistant coach Kevin O'Neill and Sarunas Jasikevicius.

Miller only wishes he could spend more time with them.

"One day, I'll hopefully get back there and wear these new (Pacers) uniforms, instead of the old pinstripes," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...31/1004/SPORTS
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The whole Sacramento squad wishes it played for another team. I sure didn't expect this type of meltdown.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Peja and Bonzi. Surely they'll get something for those guys before they bolt in the off season.

I've watched a few games and the home crowd is booing them. It's been ugly. They had a deal on the news last night talking about a lot of things from the team moving to another city to players fighting in the locker room, but they believe Adleman will keep his job.

I like Price, Martin, and Garcia and hope they don't have to use those guys along with Peja or Bonzi to get something in return.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I bet indy regrets that deal
Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

That's uhhh...that's a tough thing.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
That's uhhh...that's a tough thing.
LOL. Sheesh Mary, you crack me up.

I'm sure Indiana regrets losing him, but I'm sure they don't regret not giving him that contract. If anything, I would think Sacto regrets giving it to him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So sad....could have stayed dude, it's only money.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Artest for Miller....make it work!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

They might regret his contract but Brad Miller has been the most consistent on the team. He brings it every night and plays hard every minute so it's shame to see him stuck on that sinking ship.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Where's the loyalty to the organization that's cutting his check? This is a public relations disaster.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
They might regret his contract but Brad Miller has been the most consistent on the team. He brings it every night and plays hard every minute so it's shame to see him stuck on that sinking ship.
Like you I've watched quite a few kings games (kinda like slowing down for a car wreck) and I don't think there's a player on that team that brings it every night. Plus he's a big part of the problem. He's so weak that he gets pushed around in the paint on a nightly basis (he was averaging fewer rebounds then Bonzi before he got hurt) and when someone wants to drive the lane he rolls out the red carpet.

About the only thing he's good for is setting cheap picks on Devin.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
Where's the loyalty to the organization that's cutting his check? This is a public relations disaster.
That was my first thought too. What a no class statement to make. I'm sure the Maloofs are thrilled.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Miller was great when they played him at forward next to Vlade. They need a bigger guy to play next to him so he can make jumpers and good passes.

And yeah, I agree that this is a really inappropriate public statement.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

worst defensive center....EVER.

He is responsible for Jerome James' current contract.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
That was my first thought too. What a no class statement to make. I'm sure the Maloofs are thrilled.
I'm not saying that the Maloofs don't care... but they sure act like they don't nowadays. Words from Sacramento is that the Maloofs are rarely seen in Arco nowadays. I guess it takes an entire organization to not give a crap.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s

so true

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s

Maybe so, but I still believe that he could greatly help Indiana's cause. Horrible on defense, but still is an excellent passer for his position, and brings a pretty polished offensive game. Putting him next to other finesse players like SAR and Peja is a recipe for disaster. However, he does well when paired with power players like JO. Tell you the truth, he'd probably greatly help San Antonio if they were interested. I hope he does go back to Indiana, and he should take Peja with him. Larry Bird needs to get'er done.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
I'm not saying that the Maloofs don't care... but they sure act like they don't nowadays. Words from Sacramento is that the Maloofs are rarely seen in Arco nowadays. I guess it takes an entire organization to not give a crap.

I do know that they own a lot of businesses and as a small business co-owner I understand the need to be there a lot, but I am not making any excuses for those two. I love that sacto is having to wallow in sh*t right now.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I love that sacto is having to wallow in sh*t right now.
I'm right with ya there Doc. I love that the team that I, as a Mavs fan, once feared is now one of the bottom feeders of the Western Conference (along with Houston btw)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #19
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Indiana

If Indiana never traded Brad Miller the pacers might have won the title back in 2003-2004. This year they might still contend wtih him. Miller is such a great passer, it is unbelievable the Bulls let this guy go.

Ex Bulls:
Elton Brand
Brad Miller
Ron Artets
Hell that is a team that could contend for a title. Reinsdorf was an idiot for trading proven talent for high school prep stars. Brand is playing like the MVP. Miller has made several all-star teams since he left chicago. Ron Artest is a top 15 player in this league and one of the league's premier defensive aces.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote