Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #121
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I don't Flaco, and I appreciate the fact that you understand that it doesn't effect the greatness of the show... 24 and Lost are two shows that have taken T.V to another level..

Last edited by Nemesis; 03-01-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #122
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
This is the last time I bump this thread for discussion...I'm about to take the hint and let this fall into thread hell..

Monday nights episode was one of the best of the season IMO.. The ex-president is such a good actor that it was needed for him to come back in the picture. Jack needs to pick up his game in the acting department this series.. I think the emmy went to his head..Anyway, strong episode and it is about to get very interesting once the vice president takes over...
I missed the damn show Monday night. Would you please give me a synopsis and let me know what I missed? I saw the previous show and am pretty much up to speed on the day, except for this last hour.

Thanks.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #123
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Well after the end of mondays episode I am just about done with this show. And I wouldn't be sticking with it if it weren't for my trust in two posters on this boards opinion.

I found myself laughing when Jack caressed deadbrotherswife's face when he should have been focused on getting into action in a "that's not supposed to be funny" way. And I am so done with idiotCTOgirl and her alcoholicbombenabler boyfriend's story. Why do I care about his alcoholism when my Country is being threatened with nuclear weapons. As a matter of fact I would be much happier if we never saw the inside of the CTO again.... one of the CTO people just can't get something accomplished on the computer when another one comes up and says "do this" or "do that" and then it all comes together just in time.... that is so dang predictable and I've only watched this show for what.... 10 episodes? It's tired schtick and really bogs the show down. Please Fox television spare me from another one of those exchanges.

Anyway.... and I know nemesis is going to hate me for saying this.... but monday's episode for me was easily the worst so far I have endured. Even the Reed(?)/Tom storyline is laughable. I have absolutely no doubt that the President survived..... that whole exchange is only going to give the writers a means to add more fake drama/faces being caressed moments that will be close to sending me to the bathroom to empty whatever I had for dinner into the toilet.

Okay.... I got that off my chest. What is amazing is that despite all that the underlying story has me reeled in and putting up with it.

For those of you that have watched this show for years.... is this a constant in this show? The moments in CTO I described above.... do they happen all the time or is this a new phenomenon this season?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #124
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

U2, I don't hate you.

I guess my last suggestion to you about the show is to go back and watch the first few seasons. Maybe that will give you an idea of why things are the way they are. CTU has been a functioning part of stopping the disasters in the series. I am with you on most of the problems with the current season but I have invested interest because of the earlier seasons. To me, it is like watching the mavericks in the 90's...yes, they "suck" but you are a fan and i have the faiith that they will turn it around. That is the best I can describe it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #125
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well....

I can't disagree much with U2 on some of that.

I too am sick to death of Morris and Chloe already. Is he an alcoholic? who cares? Is he going to screw something ELSE up later?

And if you had watched every season of this show you would know, that they have no problem killing main characters. In this particular case, I don't think the president is dead. But they've killed 2 presidents already in seasons 4 and 5, it's not like they won't go there.

Every single person on the show, except for Jack, is expendable. They have no shame when it comes to that historically.

I thought that president Logans lines were somewhat laughable. and it's hard to understand just what an incredible bastard that guy is without watching season 5.

I don't think they're brining their A game here in the middle of the season, after a strong start. I hope they pick it back up soon.

I also wonder if Jacks going to have to kill his Dad, and the former president. How many HUGE characters can Jack kill in one season?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #126
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Chloe is miserable... and they're forcing her down our throats...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #127
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Tony and Michelle
Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #128
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep...they've killed off too many good characters starting with tony and michelle...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #129
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

When do we get to see Elisa Cuthbert?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #130
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20014127,00.html

this seems to echo my feelings about the show right now
Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

Itwas a good episode on Monday
Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #132
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
When do we get to see Elisa Cuthbert?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #133
Nemesis
Diamond Member

shes alls growns up
Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #134
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I too am sick to death of Morris and Chloe already. Is he an alcoholic? who cares? Is he going to screw something ELSE up later?
The show prides itself for going in directions you don't expect. The problem is, they do this so often they shoot themselves in the foot.

Morris is Edgar's replacement. Remember that guy? The writers killed him off only when they discovered he was popular. They sacrificed him for shock value.

Except they did the same with every decent character last season, and I have yet to see the show make up for the difference.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #135
Murphy3
Guru

I cannot believe that Edgar was popular... Actually, I think he's the one guy that they killed off simply because he was absolutely miserable for the show.. big, fat, annoying and completely incapable of being liked
Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #136
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I read about it somewhere. I didn't personally care for Edgar simply because I'm the biased chumdawg of this show. I like the good ol' Nellie-ball 24 from a few years ago.

You know who I really miss? George Mason.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #137
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

So back to the important information....

I could see that picture of Elisha by doing a google image search..... is her character dead? Please don't say yes because that's part of what is keeping me watching.... waiting for her to appear.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #138
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
So back to the important information....

I could see that picture of Elisha by doing a google image search..... is her character dead? Please don't say yes because that's part of what is keeping me watching.... waiting for her to appear.
lol no she's not dead.

She was in days 1-3. And then had a 3 or 4 episode appearance in Day 5.

I do not think it is likely that we'll see her this season. but who knows...this show is all over the place.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #139
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I wonder if Kieffer hit that? lol
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #140
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

You know... if it weren't for the action this show would be worthless. And all I have to go by is what I've seen this year so perhaps other seasons were better.

When Logan got knifed by that idiotic woman I was laughing. I'm not so sure that's what the intended reaction was meant to be. That whole scene was unrealistic. Comedy at it's finest.

And how many of you thought Jack was dead when the Russian was told to kill him? Anyone?

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-13-2007 at 11:22 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #141
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Also, I was hoping Tom was going to do the right thing again.

I'm not a big fan of the VP.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #142
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

We need more "Jack heavy" episodes.

Too much other stuff. I dont care about it.

And of course Jacks not dead. Not when you know that AFTER next season, they're going to film a 24 movie.

I've been dissappointed with the whole "bring back president logan" story line. They should've just left his story alone. He's a bad man that did bad things. I didnt need to see him again.

from the preview, next week looks like its going to be fun though....
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #143
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

The Jack question was rhetorical. I didn't think anyone actually thought he was about to die. And what did Logan do so bad? Did he kill off Elisha Cuthbert? If so, good for Martha!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #144
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I wonder if they'll kill Jack in the last season.

They'd do it too. Just for the Shock.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #145
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Damnit, I missed the show last night. Where can one find a recap online?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #146
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

the official website at ww.fox.com/24 usually has very detailed recaps of every hour.

Not sure how often they update them.

Everyone should have the replay on the web like NBC does for Heroes. Thats so greatness.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #147
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I have sinned! I missed last nights episode completely.. forgot to tape it (don't have Tivo)..
Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #148
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
the official website at ww.fox.com/24 usually has very detailed recaps of every hour.

Not sure how often they update them.

Everyone should have the replay on the web like NBC does for Heroes. Thats so greatness.
Man, thanks! I just watched the whole episode. It was greatness, I thought.

I have the first four episodes of Season One on order from Netflix, but in case I wear out before I catch up on five seasons' worth, tell me what Logan did to get himself in trouble. Please? Also, he's not going to die here, is he?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #149
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
You know... if it weren't for the action this show would be worthless. And all I have to go by is what I've seen this year so perhaps other seasons were better.

When Logan got knifed by that idiotic woman I was laughing. I'm not so sure that's what the intended reaction was meant to be. That whole scene was unrealistic. Comedy at it's finest.

And how many of you thought Jack was dead when the Russian was told to kill him? Anyone?
I thought that scene was kinda cool. But then again, I generally easily suspend disbelief for this sort of dramatic thing.

But I did think it odd that the helicopter looked to be basically parked underneath a line of trees. Nah, I doubt that.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #150
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

24 is dunzo. it's sad. recycled plotlines, new characters that are the same as old characters....
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #151
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I have sinned! I missed last nights episode completely.. forgot to tape it (don't have Tivo)..
http://www.myspace.com/24
Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #152
Murphy3
Guru

this past week's plot was weak, but still enjoyable.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #153
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think things are going to heat up this week. Some of these "mid day" hour sometimes start to drag.

We should be out of it soon
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #154
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I think things are going to heat up this week. Some of these "mid day" hour sometimes start to drag.

We should be out of it soon
Just so you know, Flaco, I took the first DVD of 24 from Netflix a couple days, and I am absolutely transfixed. Those first four episodes of the first season were money. I am waiting greedily for the next disc to arrive. I made the mistake of not getting the second disc at the same time. Then again, I'm not sure I would have ever got to sleep if I had them both. Addicting!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #155
Murphy3
Guru

Chum, the first show that I saw was episode 1 of season 3. I was immediately hooked and went back and watched the first two seasons as soon as possible. I knocked off the first two seasons in two weeks and was up to speed with the series.

Honestly, I believe that watching them like that is more enjoyable. At least, that's been the case for me with TheShield, Lost, and 24... I've had to catch up on each of the shows from way back... The catching up was always much more enjoyable than being where everyone else is waiting week to week. When you're catching up and knocking out 2-3 a night on the weekend or so, there's never really a bad episode because you quickly go on to the next show as if it's a movie. So, one slow episode quickly blends in as just part of the character development or plot development. But, when you're in real time, you have a week to reflect on how mediocre a mediocre episode actually was.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #156
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That's it, I'm renting season 1 tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #157
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Chum, the first show that I saw was episode 1 of season 3. I was immediately hooked and went back and watched the first two seasons as soon as possible. I knocked off the first two seasons in two weeks and was up to speed with the series.

Honestly, I believe that watching them like that is more enjoyable. At least, that's been the case for me with TheShield, Lost, and 24... I've had to catch up on each of the shows from way back... The catching up was always much more enjoyable than being where everyone else is waiting week to week. When you're catching up and knocking out 2-3 a night on the weekend or so, there's never really a bad episode because you quickly go on to the next show as if it's a movie. So, one slow episode quickly blends in as just part of the character development or plot development. But, when you're in real time, you have a week to reflect on how mediocre a mediocre episode actually was.
I feel you. The first exposure I had to "24" was this season, when they ran back-to-back episodes two nights in a row. Man, when a nuke goes off how can you not be hooked?

I'm looking forward to the rest of the catching up. I absolutely LOVE the not-having-to-watch-commercials that the DVD provides--just like when I watched the current episode (that I missed) online this week. Too cool. And I see what you mean with regard to one episode being sub-par or whatever. I wouldn't really know, as far as the first four go, because I was so transfixed by the suspense.

The drawback is that one disc is about three hours of programming, and I'm going to have to be awfully disciplined if I can break that up over more than one sitting. Sleep doesn't seem as attractive as does watching the next episode. I bet I'll be caught up in a couple months, tops.

Last edited by chumdawg; 03-18-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #158
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Just so you know, Flaco, I took the first DVD of 24 from Netflix a couple days, and I am absolutely transfixed. Those first four episodes of the first season were money. I am waiting greedily for the next disc to arrive. I made the mistake of not getting the second disc at the same time. Then again, I'm not sure I would have ever got to sleep if I had them both. Addicting!
ha ha Chum that is awesome!!!

I went through a similar process. I had never watched the show before last summer. After the finals were over and I have oodles of free time at night, my former college roommate seasons 1-4 on DVD to me.

I think I must've watched a disk a night. I was sleeping less and less, and eventually got my (then fiancée) wife hooked on it too.

I honestly think, that watching them straight through is the best way to go. I loved watching them one after the other for the first time.

This whole "one a week" thing is really killing the concept for me.

When you sit down and watch them back to back to back you get more the "24" feeling that this is all one day and events are in real time.

I plan to sit down and watch season 6 in 2 or 3 sittings after it's over in the summer some weekend.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-18-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #159
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
That's it, I'm renting season 1 tomorrow.
Hell yeah.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #160
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
ha ha Chum that is awesome!!!

I went through a similar process. I had never watched the show before last summer. After the finals were over and I have oodles of free time at night, my former college roommate seasons 1-4 on DVD to me.

I think I must've watched a disk a night. I was sleeping less and less, and eventually got my (then fiancée) wife hooked on it too.

I honestly think, that watching them straight through is the best way to go. I loved watching them one after the other for the first time.

This whole "one a week" thing is really killing the concept for me.

When you sit down and watch them back to back to back you get more the "24" feeling that this is all one day and events are in real time.

I plan to sit down and watch season 6 in 2 or 3 sittings after it's over in the summer some weekend.
After watching that first disc, I'm starting to think that the best strategy might be to get three discs (twelve episodes, I reckon) at one and watch them all on a Sunday (that the Mavs aren't playing).

I recognize that at this rate I will burn through the back catalog rather quickly, though, and so I try to enjoy the good fortune that my behind-the-times position has gifted me. After all, there are only so many episodes.

Tags
jack bauer pwns yer face