Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #1321
JamesVE

JamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura about

I love Dirk but man he doesn't even TRY to rebound anymore. Irritates me so much.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #1322
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

That's why he out-rebounded anyone on the nuggets team last night. Slacker...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #1323
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVE View Post
I love Dirk but man he doesn't even TRY to rebound anymore. Irritates me so much.
Odd timing. He had 8 last night, including a number of traffic boards. By the way, his DRR% is higher than Pau and Amare's. His rebounds are down due to reduced minutes, injuries, and age. He's still a good defensive rebounder, especially in the big games.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #1324
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Doing More Than Everything: True Value of the NBA Player (Part 1)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...the-nba-player
PF- Dirk Nowitzki, DAL- Like the three players already discussed, Dirk Nowitzki is somewhat underrated. Ever since his Mavs playoff collapse to Golden State in his MVP-season, everything he has ever done and continues to do is taken less seriously. Frankly, it's ridiculous.
Dirk is having his most efficient season yet, shooting 52 percent from the field and scoring 23 PPG in a career-low 34 MPG. But it's his career achievements that really define his ability. He shoots over 47 percent on FG's, 38 percent on threes and 87 percent from the line. In his 12 seasons prior to this one, he missed a total of 27 games (irrelevant in a sense, but it makes his statistical consistency all the more impressive).
Dirk is arguably the best shooter the NBA has ever seen. The numbers he puts up from the long-range and on three's are matched by no other big man ever, and even smaller sharp shooters aren't as deadly as Dirk. A great defender could occasionally make Reggie Miller miss, but no one can get a hand in the seven foot Dirk's face. And unlike other great shooters, his ability to score near the basket is just as impressive.
His size and natural fade-away element to his shot make everything he puts up impossible to contest, and because he can wreak so much havoc with his close-to-midrange shot, he gets to the line a lot. Way too much for an automatic free-throw shooter. Like every other scorer on this list, his greatness is due to the pick-your-deadly poison element that is attached to attempting to defend him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #1325
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

No offense, but anyone can post an "article" on bleacherreport.
This isn't anything against Dirk or his abilities-just a dig at the "quality" of bleacherreport.

Last edited by Spurred1; 02-12-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #1326
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
No offense, but anyone can post an "article" on bleacherreport.
This isn't anything against Dirk or his abilities-just a dig at the "quality" of bleacherreport.
What exactly was your point to post this unless to discredit this opinion. Boo on you
Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #1327
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

My incredibly high opinion of Dirk went through the roof yesterday and it had nothing to do with anything on the basketball court.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #1328
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

^A bit vague. What are you referring to,BG?
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #1329
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
My incredibly high opinion of Dirk went through the roof yesterday and it had nothing to do with anything on the basketball court.
You're such a tease.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #1330
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaknaf3in View Post
You're such a tease.
Exactly. If you don't tell us how Dirk satisfied you off the court, BGMaverick, people will come up with all kinds of naughty interpretations...
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #1331
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

MOR will have the story tomorrow night at 6pm

part of it relates to me, part of it is based on how crazy he can be, the rest is just how much he goes out of his way to please people.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-13-2011 at 08:20 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #1332
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

part of it relates to me, part of it is based on how crazy he can be, the rest is just how much he goes out of his way to please people.
Well BG...you've finally got my attention... I'll have to stop down for that one.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #1333
ceelowdream

ceelowdream is on a distinguished road

I think the rebounds are there. Haven't noticed a fall off.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #1334
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #1335
BGMaverick9
Guru

Behind the scenes with Dirk Nowitzki for his Appearance on The Cleveland Show http://youtu.be/1DY56fgq4MI
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #1336
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Must spread rep.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #1337
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Must spread rep.
"Shaq wish yourself out of there!"
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #1338
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

"You see - LeBron DOES care about Cleveland!"

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #1339
JamesVE

JamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura aboutJamesVE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
That's why he out-rebounded anyone on the nuggets team last night. Slacker...
Anomaly. You won't find Dirk doing that night-in and night-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Odd timing. He had 8 last night, including a number of traffic boards. By the way, his DRR% is higher than Pau and Amare's. His rebounds are down due to reduced minutes, injuries, and age. He's still a good defensive rebounder, especially in the big games.
Well, stats are nice, and I realize part of this is due to the injury/timing. But last year he was averaging ~7 a game, and I remember telling my friends last year that it's all downhill from here as I could see he didn't even really try last year either. Bottom line, this is a 7 footer we're talking about with no athletic drop-off from his younger days. It's a pure effort thing - and he gets a pass for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceelowdream View Post
I think the rebounds are there. Haven't noticed a fall off.
Again, this is a more than adequately athletic 7 footer pulling in under rebounds a game. That's 2 guard territory there

Look, guys, I love Dirk as much as the next guy. But this is one thing I refuse to be a homer about or put blinders on. If you just watch the game you can tell he doesn't TRY to rebound. He does NOT put the effort in consistently. Hell, he's normally running back down the court as soon as a shot is put up (and didn't we all get screamed at by our high school coaches for that?). Watching the games you can tell that a good 70-80% of his rebounds are the kind that literally just bounce right to him.

You almost NEVER see Dirk truly battling for a rebound or working to get in position for one. Yes, I know you guys can throw out the occasional 8-9 rebound game from him. But just admit it, the dude doesn't put in the effort to rebound like he should be capable of. I'm just stating the obvious. This dude should have always been averaging double-digit rebounds yet never has been able to. It seems to me he's always gotten a pass on this from Mavs-land.

The main reason this irritates me is that his lack of rebounding effort - when he could easily have a lifetime 10+ rebounding average - plays a big part in his "soft" label nationally. He CAN do it, he just doesn't.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #1340
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Listened this morning on the way to work... good stuff. Dirk is awesome, end of story.

I wonder if he really is going to check out MMB...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #1341
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Behind the scenes with Dirk Nowitzki for his Appearance on The Cleveland Show http://youtu.be/1DY56fgq4MI
http://www.fox.com/cleveland/full-episodes is not available over here. Can someone up it ?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #1342
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
http://www.fox.com/cleveland/full-episodes is not available over here. Can someone up it ?
is hulu.com available?

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #1343
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Anomaly. You won't find Dirk doing that night-in and night-out .
Must spread reputation around before you deduct it from this knucklehead again. Get that crap outta this thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #1344
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
Listened this morning on the way to work... good stuff. Dirk is awesome, end of story.

I wonder if he really is going to check out MMB...
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #1345
JamesVE

Quote:
Must spread reputation around before you deduct it from this knucklehead again. Get that crap outta this thread.
Sorry, don't even know what your reputation bit there means.

I said it's an anomaly that Dirk outrebounded each individual player on the opposing team. You say that my saying that is "crap".

Pretty sure that, by and large, the high rebounder in a game on any given night in the NBA is usually ~10 (most times higher).

Yet Dirk averages UNDER 7 rebounds a game. Pretty sure that means that the dude does NOT outrebound the other team night-in and night-out.

Dirk ranks 53rd in rebounding.

So, uhh, yeah... don't really see how I'm wrong here. I guess that makes me a knucklehead for stating the obvious.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #1346
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I said it's an anomaly that Dirk outrebounded each individual player on the opposing team. You say that my saying that is "crap".

Pretty sure that, by and large, the high rebounder in a game on any given night in the NBA is usually ~10 (most times higher).

Yet Dirk averages UNDER 7 rebounds a game. Pretty sure that means that the dude does NOT outrebound the other team night-in and night-out.

So, uhh, yeah... don't really see how I'm wrong here. I guess that makes me a knucklehead for stating the obvious.
To be fair; Dirk does have some really good rebounders around him so he doesn't have to bang as much if we were a really small team. Anything he can do preserve himself is fine with me.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #1347
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, that Tyson Chandler guy we added this season is a pretty good rebounder. Two turkeys don't make an eagle, Rebounds don't appear out of thin air. Add to that the fact we've been playing zone, means we let more and more rebounds get away from us, as it is a known fact it is more difficult to get a rebound while playing zone, and you'll find the reason Dirk hasn't been getting double-doubles every single game.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #1348
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You can't look at raw rebound numbers you mental midget! Yes, Dirk's rebounds are down because of age/injuries/minutes. But he is still a good defensive rebounder. He has never, and will never be a big offensive rebounder because that's not what we need him to do. Defensive rebounding is what Dirk does, and he still does it pretty well. Higher DRR% than Amare, Pau, Aldridge, etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #1349
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't look at raw rebound numbers you mental midget! Yes, Dirk's rebounds are down because of age/injuries/minutes. But he is still a good defensive rebounder. He has never, and will never be a big offensive rebounder because that's not what we need him to do. Defensive rebounding is what Dirk does, and he still does it pretty well. Higher DRR% than Amare, Pau, Aldridge, etc.
Why can't you ever make your point without doing this? Honestly. People would like 500x better and listen to you more often.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1350
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you'll see Dirk's rebounding numbers increase once the playoffs start. Sometimes people forget that this is a long season. Dirk and the Mavs have been there and done that. Frankly, they need Dirk a little fresher come playoff time. If that means that he allows Chandler or another Mav to grab a rebound that he would have gotten in the past, so be it. If that means that he loses a rebound to an opponent early in the game, so be it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #1351
41N

41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
kein problem...

season 2, episode 13
41N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #1352
JamesVE

Quote:
Well, I'm no rocket scientist but the master's degree hanging on my wall surely makes me more than a mental midget. At least on paper

Nonetheless, I only went on numbers in my retort because one of the original guys to inexplicably criticize me for my opinion threw out the fact that Dirk was the top rebounder in the Denver game to somehow "get" me.

Actually, originally, I stated my opinion not from a numbers-game but from a simple eye-o-meter. I didn't even know that Dirk averaged UNDER 7 rebounds a game until I looked it up today.

Back to the eye-o-meter: the basis of my statements about Dirk's rebounding came from me WATCHING the games and SEEING how he doesn't TRY to go for rebounds. That's just my plain flat out observation. Dirk RARELY even remotely battles/goes for/tries to get rebounds. He does once in a blue moon, yes, hence the occasional 9-10 rebound game. But I'm talking about night-in night-out. If the rebounding effort you see from Dirk this year differs from my description here, then I guess one of us lives in opposite-world.

Also, you say that's not what we "need" Dirk to do. So we've never needed better rebounding in the past twelve years? I'd contend that Dirk has never been a good offensive rebounder simply because he's never been made to do it and likely largely gotten a pass on it - especially in his formative years under Nellie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll see Dirk's rebounding numbers increase once the playoffs start. Sometimes people forget that this is a long season. Dirk and the Mavs have been there and done that. Frankly, they need Dirk a little fresher come playoff time. If that means that he allows Chandler or another Mav to grab a rebound that he would have gotten in the past, so be it. If that means that he loses a rebound to an opponent early in the game, so be it.
Good, solid, point without attacking me for an opinion. And very true. IIRC Dirk's career rebounding average is 11-12 or somewhere around there.

Last edited by JamesVE; 02-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
JamesVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #1353
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

More like 8ish rebounds per game, that's close to his average.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #1354
dude1394
Guru

Masters Statement...
Quote:
Yea...doesn't even try...

Must spread reputation around before giving PHD knucklehead red box.

Last edited by dude1394; 02-15-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Should have known it wasn't a phd
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #1355
dude1394
Guru

Masters Analysis...

Dirk Career Rebounding Average - 8.4
This year 6.8 rpg..last year 7.7

Lucky that they just fall into his lap being the second highest rebounder on the team...

Dirk's Sidekicks
Dampier RPG career - 7.3 and last year the same.
Tyson this year - 9.4

Anything jump out at you?
Also might want to throw out january and a bit o' february to see how the numbers actually look.

Last edited by dude1394; 02-15-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #1356
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Screw Tyson Chandler for taking away from Dirk's rebounding numbers!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #1357
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Dirk was averaging about 7.5 rebounds before he got injured which is still poor, especially since the team gets creamed in the second chance department. Kidd and Butler also are having poor rebound stats this year, so the rebounds are there for the taking. Rebounding is about effort.

Dirk also averaged 8 rebounds in the playoffs last year which was his worst showing since the 00-01 season playoffs.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #1358
JamesVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
More like 8ish rebounds per game, that's close to his average.
He's averaging 6.8 rebounds per game this year. His lifetime playoff average is 10.9

Not sure what you're referring to with 8ish?

Quote:
Masters Statement...

Yea...doesn't even try...

Must spread reputation around before giving PHD knucklehead red box.
In all seriousness, I have no clue what the "passing reputation" stuff is you're talking about. If whatever you're saying is supposed to be a dig at me, I'm completely ignorant of its use/importance. So, yeah..

Quote:
Masters Analysis...

Dirk Career Rebounding Average - 8.4
This year 6.8 rpg..last year 7.7

Lucky that they just fall into his lap being the second highest rebounder on the team...

Dirk's Sidekicks
Dampier RPG career - 7.3 and last year the same.
Tyson this year - 9.4

Anything jump out at you?
Also might want to throw out january and a bit o' february to see how the numbers actually look.
I believe I was instructed to not look at "raw numbers", but nonetheless - how are we to know Chandlers rebounding prowess over his predecessor as an explanation for Dirk's lack of rebounding isn't just a spurious correlation?

Barring some staggeringly in-depth statistical analysis involving a huge range of factors and variables, I'd say there's virtually no way to prove or disprove your theory there. But I will say that with your logic, Kidd's down a rebound a game from last year - so shouldn't that mean Dirk should average an extra rebound? And so on and so on. See, it's nearly impossible to say.

All I'm saying is that from what I've observed from watching Dirk this year, he doesn't try to rebound as much as he should and is capable of. That's it. That's my whole point. Yet you seem to be, for some reason, mortally offended that I'm critiquing the effort of a professional basketball player who is of relation to neither of us.

Barring Dirk being your long-lost brother or something, I'm kind of puzzled by your passive-aggressive reaction to my opinion.

At least b_o_r seems to have some common sense/logic here
Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #1359
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

As of Jan 19th (last 82games update) Dirk was pulling down 10.2 rp48 at PF. That's as compared to 9.8 rp48 last season and 10.6 two years ago. His best years on the glass were when Avery was here when he'd get up in the 11.6 rp48 range, and he's definitely fallen below that, but there's been no drop-off this year unless it's happened since the injury, in which case I'm not inclined to get too worked up about it.

And anyway, as dude said, this is the 'Random Dirk is Great Thread', so I'd much rather be talking about how awesome he is.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #1360
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Why can't you ever make your point without doing this? Honestly. People would like 500x better and listen to you more often.
Because he's an idiot troll so he got an idiot troll retort.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer