Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Was that some zone defense the mavs were playing last night? that's the only explanation i have for Kyrie being on Lebron at the end of the game last night but i can't tell from the highlights for sure. I think there were other times in the game when it looked like they were playing some type of zone. Anyone able to clarify?

FWIW i have no issues with an occasional zone defense to throw the other team off. it'd definitely depend on the situation though.
I actually think we should play a lot more of it because our man D is awful.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
He could get 40 minutes of solid center play on defense and rebounding if he sticks with Lively/Holmes combo

But he won't because Powell is a locker room leader and good pick setter 😂

I also think Exum is the most underrated defender on this team. Imo he's better than Williams, Green and DJJ

His length allows him to matchup 1-4
Yea. When Maxi comes back Holmes will probably be digging splinters again.

Exum needs a consistent 15mpg. He's a solid 2 way player for us. Id try Exum and Holmes in my 2nd unit as often as I could to build that chemistry.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:34 PM   #43
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I actually think we should play a lot more of it because our man D is awful.
We get killed in zone because of the same reason we use it. We are too slow on defense. They cant stay in front of their man and in zone, they cant close out to shooters quick enough.

They need to change their whole philosopy. System overhaul.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #44
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Lol big yikes if we are counting on Holmes to be the answer. Sure, he can perhaps improve the rotation but the Mavs are still in dire need of a trade to upgrade 4 and/or 5, with or without Lively. I expect him back in no time to be honest, shit he's 19 so he might not even miss a game.

But yea, Holmes def played a big part in this one. Pardon me if I'm not sold he's the answer, especially not on defense. His rebounding was a welcome boost, as was his smart pick/screening game. Gortat-esque type of player but again, still leaves a need for big paint defense.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Lol big yikes if we are counting on Holmes to be the answer. Sure, he can perhaps improve the rotation but the Mavs are still in dire need of a trade to upgrade 4 and/or 5, with or without Lively. I expect him back in no time to be honest, shit he's 19 so he might not even miss a game.

But yea, Holmes def played a big part in this one. Pardon me if I'm not sold he's the answer, especially not on defense. His rebounding was a welcome boost, as was his smart pick/screening game. Gortat-esque type of player but again, still leaves a need for big paint defense.
Well it's Holmes or Powell until a trade is made. We've seen what Powell can't do for 7 seasons. Time to give someone else a try.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #46
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

I hsvent seen a single person suggest Holmes is the answer. I might possibly be his biggest support in here and I dont think hes even our ideal back up but he is definitely better than Maxi and DP.

Kidd being forced to play him is going to be another trip hazard. Its clear to most people that hes the 2nd best "big" on the team

Old 11-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #47
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Didn't mean to point anybody out, but it's sad we are celebrating Holmes at this point with this FO and staff. There's both a disconnect and talent void.

I'm fine if Holmes is the backup 4 and depth/small ball 5, i.e. the 4th big off the bench. But they need to focus in on a starting caliber (at minimum top backup) 4/5 that rebounds and defends, anything offensive is a bonus.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 02:08 PM   #48
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No one thinks that. Hes a serviceable spark plug at 15 mpg tops. Id rather see him than Powell. That?s just how bad our talent is at the 4/5

Last edited by Melonhead; 11-24-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #49
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Lively out.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #50
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Got a rough week ahead and Lively being out doesn?t help
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #51
SMC0007
Guru

Clippers will be looking for revenge. The good thing is Lively is good enough this soon in his career that it makes a big difference not having him. The bad news is, we dont have him.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Clippers will be looking for revenge. The good thing is Lively is good enough this soon in his career that it makes a big difference not having him. The bad news is, we dont have him.
Well they have no choice but to play Holmes. And to be fair, Holmes need to show why Kidd needs to play him as well.

And we need to start looking at Greg Brown from the G League. That kid is redonk down there.