Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spurs Beat Houston 88-81. Poor Yao Ming

By T.A. BADGER, Associated Press Writer
March 12, 2006

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Tim Duncan scored 20 points, Michael Finley made a pair of 3-pointers in the fourth quarter, and the San Antonio Spurs held off a late rally to beat the Houston Rockets 88-81 on Sunday.

The Rockets played without star swingman Tracy McGrady, who could miss five weeks because of a sore back.

Trailing by 11 after three, Houston closed within 79-77 when Rafer Alston drove the baseline for a layup with 2:52 remaining.

But the Spurs' Nazr Mohammed set a screen on Rick Brunson that allowed Finley to drive the baseline for a dunk over Yao Ming.

A minute later, Manu Ginobili tangled Yao's feet with a crossover move before he threw down a left-handed dunk over the Rockets' center to make it 85-79.

Finley, who finished with 15 points, clinched the victory with a corner 3-pointer with 40 seconds left.

Ginobili scored 14 points, Mohammed had 11 and Beno Udrih 10 for San Antonio. Duncan grabbed 10 rebounds.

Yao had 25 points for the Rockets, 17 in the first half, and Alston scored 15. Luther Head added 13, including three 3-pointers, and Keith Bogans had 11.

The loss kept Houston winless in 10 games against Southwest Division rivals.

Yao hit three short jumpers while scoring nine of Houston's first 13 points as the Rockets took an early lead.

San Antonio came back to tie it at 19 with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter on a three-point play by Rasho Nesterovic.

Udrih made a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give San Antonio a 25-22 lead after one, but Yao made a 13-footer early in the second to put Houston back ahead.

A pair of 3-pointers by Head sparked the Rockets, who built their advantage to 39-34 late in the half. Yao scored 17 points in the half, while Duncan was held scoreless in the second on 0-for-5 shooting after scoring 10 in the first.

San Antonio erased a four-point halftime deficit by outscoring the Rockets 26-11 in the third. Bogans had nine of those points for Houston, which shot 5-for-17 in the quarter.

Bruce Bowen started the run for the Spurs with a 3-pointer, and Mohammed made three straight baskets. After a fast-break layup by Tony Parker, Udrih hit his second 3-pointer to make it 64-53 in the final minute of the third.

Notes

The Spurs have beaten Houston 17 straight times at home. ... The Rockets' David Wesley did not play in the second half because of a rib injury. ... San Antonio played its fourth straight without G Nick Van Exel (sore left elbow). ... The Rockets and Spurs play again Saturday and then in the season finale on April 19. Both of those games are in Houston.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Give me Yao.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

It was crazy how Mike Fin dunked on Yao once again and then a play later Ginobilli gets a dunk over him.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Angry

orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Some might not care but you can see video highlights of both dunks on the Spurs official site or by going to nba.com and clicking the highlights there.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That was a FEROCIOUS dunk by Fin.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

After watching the highlight...*shudder*

You've gotta hand it to the ol' Findawg...that was a sick dunk. I really hope Fin can keep his legs for a while longer, though he's a Spur now (and I can't like him as a player, by principle) he's a good guy and deserves a few more years of success...just not against us.

- The Rockets lose T-Mac and the Spurs lose...Nick van Exel?
- Luther Head looks like he has the makings to be a pretty solid player.
- Poor Yao...poor poor Yao. His 2nd option is...Skip? Juwan? Head?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

It's really incredible what Duncan gets away with. I swear he blatantly shoved Juwan Howard to the ground at least twice and didn't get called for the offensive foul.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a drag to be a center in the NBA.. Your perimeter guys ole' their player into the lane and you get on sportscenter trying to clean up their mess.

I guess Yao is the new Shawn Bradley. The tall guy in the league.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
It must be a drag to be a center in the NBA.. Your perimeter guys ole' their player into the lane and you get on sportscenter trying to clean up their mess.

Don't Say That!!!

Last edited by orangedays; 03-12-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

Well the Mike dunk was just a great screen set by Nazr Mohammed. There was nothing anyone could've done. It was all up to Ming on that play. On the Gino dunk it was just unfortunate that he had to actually guard him.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
blahblehblah

blahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the rough

LOL when I saw this topic I thought you were refering to Yao having to play on such a horrible team... O and Fins dunk was nice but Ginobli's move was nicer... Fins was like a jr jr version of Kobe's dunk on Yao a few years ago... Fin wasnt really high enuf if Yao was there in time.

Lets see who Yao was playing with tonite:

starters:
Yao Ming - becoming a beast, unfortunately his team is becoming a joke.
J.Howard - Fab what?
K.Bogans - errr... who? Bilbo Baggins? (6-4 small foward lol)
D.Wesley - ooo I know him! SHREK!..... right... ?
R.ALston - Skip2mylou! wow a bonafide STAR and a veteran... ... ... on the and1 tour... ... in 01

Yao besides for getting dunked on tonight he had 25 10 and 3 assist 3 blocks

his teamates had a bag o chips and some crackers o and lucky for ryan bowen played!

Despite Yao's improve game, With their management, and T-macs back I doubt anyone would have to use the word Division Champ along with Houston anytime soon, let alone, Western COnfernce champ like many pundits predicted.

Last edited by blahblehblah; 03-12-2006 at 11:44 PM.
blahblehblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...r.8225eff.html

Finley helps Spurs dunk Rockets

Web Posted: 03/13/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley celebrated his 33rd birthday one week ago, and, so far, 33 feels a lot better than 32.

At this time last season, Finley was playing with bone chips in his right ankle and nursing a strained left calf.

"Now, to be as healthy as I can," Finley said, "I'm able to go out there and produce and not have fatigue or injuries as an excuse of not getting up to my potential."

Finley's potential, these days, apparently stretches a good 11 feet. On Sunday afternoon, Finley woke up his teammates — as well as the 18,797 fans filling the AT&T Center — with a vicious dunk in front of Houston's 7-foot-6 center, Yao Ming, helping to send the Spurs to an 88-81 victory.

"He saves it up," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Finley's sudden explosiveness, "so he can dig down there and get it once in a while."

The Spurs, likewise, had to reach deep to prevent their third loss in four games. Run off their own floor by the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday and playing for the sixth time in 81/2 days, they found enough energy in the second half to hold off the Rockets, who were missing All-Star forward Tracy McGrady.

Finley scored eight of his 15 points in the fourth quarter, including a 3-pointer with 39.9 seconds left that all but closed out the victory. Tim Duncan (20 points and 10 rebounds) and Manu Ginobili (14 points and seven rebounds) overcame their poor shooting, and Nazr Mohammed helped hold Yao to eight points in the second half while contributing 11 points and eight boards of his own.

"It was a tough couple of days for us to let a game like the Lakers one slip by," Finley said. "But Coach emphasized before the game, 'Let's put that behind us, move forward and attack this one.'"

Finley did just that. After Rockets point guard Rafer Alston trimmed what had been an 11-point lead for the Spurs to 79-77 with 2:52 remaining, Finley received the ball in the left corner, used a screen from Mohammed to lose his defender and rushed toward the rim.

Yao tried to slide over to challenge the shot, but Finley had soared too high, too quickly. As he punched the ball through the rim, the Spurs leaped off the bench. Mohammed ran downcourt shaking his head.

"It reminded me of when Mike was in Phoenix (from 1995-96)," Brent Barry said, "and he used to go over three, four guys."

The dunk energized the Spurs. Finley picked off a pass from Alston and Ginobili drove into the lane and hit a one-handed runner, forcing Houston to call a timeout.

After Houston closed within four, Ginobili again went down the lane. This time, he used a crossover dribble to get by Yao before throwing down a dunk, no less of a surprise than Finley's.

Slowed much of the season by injuries to his right foot, Ginobili said the last time he remembered dunking was "probably the (NBA) Finals."

"I'm glad it happened," said Ginobili, who made only five of 15 shots. "It helps me feel better to go strong again."

The Rockets were at decidedly less than full strength. In addition to missing McGrady, who could be out until the final week of the regular season because of a back injury, they lost starter David Wesley. He injured his ribs late in the first half and didn't return.

The Rockets compensated by keeping Tony Parker out of the lane and limiting him to eight points and four assists. The Spurs shot just 34.1 percent in the first half. With Yao providing 17 points, Houston led 42-38.

"The kid's 7-6, so when he turns around he can look right in the basket," Duncan said. "And he's got a great touch."

The Spurs double-teamed Yao more quickly in the second half and Mohammed, Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic guarded him more closely. He had only two points in the third quarter when the Spurs outscored Houston 26-11.

"They dominated us," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said of the third quarter. "They just out-competed us."

Duncan fought through his own struggles. He missed nine of 13 shots in the first half but scored on three-straight possessions midway through the final quarter, following his missed shot, spinning by Juwan Howard for a layup and hitting a runner as Yao fouled him.

Duncan looked aggressive all night, even twice trying — albeit unsuccessfully — to dunk over Yao. "I'm just trying to play and find my way back," he said.

Finley, meanwhile, seems to be settling into his role. In the past eight games, he's averaged 13.4 points and shot 53.4 percent.

His health? He's feeling good enough to think he can still jump with some of the league's best.

"Maybe not over an extended period of time," Finley said. "But if I get an opportunity, especially with the fresh legs I have at this time of year, I like my odds."
Old 03-13-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
"They dominated us," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said of the third quarter. "They just out-competed us."
This is just one example but Van Gundy really seems to have given up on this team. All he does is bitch and moan and talk about how great Yao is (nothing wrong with that). I know it's unfair to judge him because the Rockets have been on crutches this entire season but his attitude needs serious retooling. Hate life elsewhere Jeff. Unless Yao can pull Houston out of the basement, I doubt he's around next season.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
"It reminded me of when Mike was in Phoenix (from 1995-96)," Brent Barry said, "and he used to go over three, four guys."

VINTAGE MIKEEEE!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the end of the Rockets/Spurs game, and in my estimation neither dunk was Yao's fault.

The Finley dunk was a really nice play by Mike, but Yao was recovering over to try and help after the perimeter defender got toasted. Yao was rotating all the way from the opposite elbow, so it's ridiculous to pin that dunk on him. Finley was already in the air before Yao even got there.

As for the Ginobili dunk, what exactly is a center supposed to do? Watching that dunk several times (courtesy of ABC replaying it endlessly) you could see that Yao nearly got there and made the block, but you can't ask your center to handle Ginobili coming at him with a head of steam.

The play-by-play guy talked about Yao receiving a facial, but to me, that's ridiculous.

I'm with dude. Give me Yao.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

neither of those dunks were facials. Facials are the Bradley playoff dunk by McGrady last year. When you stick you foot on someones face and use that to jump, that is a facial.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
orangedays
Platinum Member

I love the Yao-love.

All of you deserve a
Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

What no photographic evidence to go along with this fintastic claim?

C'mon nut-huggers... show me the pics.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

Why don't you step off Fire Crotch?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
C'mon nut-huggers... show me the pics.
Wow was that really called for? MFF told you were you can see the dunks at. On NBA.com or the Spurs official site. I guess you were too busy being a smart ass.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #22
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Wow was that really called for? MFF told you were you can see the dunks at. On NBA.com or the Spurs official site. I guess you were too busy being a smart ass.
I think capcity was just kidding man.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I think capcity was just kidding man.

This is the same guy that said,

"Don't beat around the bush...

I hate Keith's game but he's still a better fit for this team than Finley."

I could be wrong here but I doubt there was any kidding going on.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Was i the only one that thought of the OTHER time fin dunked on yao? i know he rarely dunked the last couple of years but i definately remember one of those times being on yao. As for getting dunked on yeah it looks bad but i would rather have yao than any center in the nba right now. And he doesnt take any crap and isnt on sportscenter if he just doesnt try to be a help defender.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I immediately remembered that other dunk on a rookie Yao, five-o. Unfortantely for me though, it didn't make me miss the good ol'days. Rather, it made me angry because it led me to believe that he's putting forth more effort with the Spurs than he did his last two years as a Mav.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I immediately remembered that other dunk on a rookie Yao, five-o. Unfortantely for me though, it didn't make me miss the good ol'days. Rather, it made me angry because it led me to believe that he's putting forth more effort with the Spurs than he did his last two years as a Mav.

I'd like to believe it has more to do with Finley actually being healthy. Last year he was playing on a bum ankle according to him. The verdict is still out on whether or not he was actually hurt last season but watching him play this season it seems it wouldn't be too far fetched to say he was.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 AM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I'd like to believe it has more to do with Finley actually being healthy. Last year he was playing on a bum ankle according to him. The verdict is still out on whether or not he was actually hurt last season but watching him play this season it seems it wouldn't be too far fetched to say he was.
That's a good point, I totally forgot about his ankle injury. Still, it is kinda sad to see Fin rediscover the slam dunk in a Spurs uniform.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #28
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
That's a good point, I totally forgot about his ankle injury.
Of course you did. It was easy to forget parting-shot excuses from a washed out, shadow of his former self, know-nothing Michelle Finley.

Only when everybody started comparing Fins salary vs. Fins performance, did our hero decided it was time to disclose the so-called nagging injury. Not during his mid-season slump, not during the stretch run, not during his underwhelming playoff showing.

The mavs lacked leadership last season... and what did the great Mike Finley do when he knew his game had fallen off? Step aside while younger, more talented players got court time? Hell no. He decided he best served the team by standing behind the three-point line on the court and undermining the new coach's defensive philosophy behind the scenes.

Finley can suck it.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Player A:

26.2min, 39.7%, 28.1%, 86.3%, 12.7pts, 2.8rbs, 2.8as, .77stls, 2.13to's (10.8 spg)

Player B:

26.4min, 39.9%, 38.3%, 83.9%, 9.8pts, 3.4rbs, 1.4as, .51stls, .83to's (9 spg)
Old 03-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Spurs got the Rockets tomorrow on the road, after playing a tough one against Phoenix tonight. Still no T-Mac, but last week Yao and the Rockets gave the rested Spurs a run for their money. Remember, the Spurs are 4-8 this year on the second nights of back-to-backs. Go Rockets!