Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #481
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Seriously? I didn't just now start getting negative about the Mavs front office. I think they screwed the pooch after the championship and I think they've been screwing it pretty consistently since. Yes, they've improved, but I don't know that they can recover to not completely waste Dirk's final years as they have since the championship. The Mavs can't draft. They've obviously misjudged the impact that the new CBA would have on free agency. Cuban couldn't even tear himself away from Shark Tank long enough to visit with a free agent that he felt was key.
And my criticism of jumping the gun wouldn't involve you then now would it?

No doubt the Mavs misread the new CBA, and unbelievably so. Cuban just shouldn't have made predictions period, but he had to justify not bring back the championship team at the time. It was a tough choice to make, and he made it.

But he also appeased the many Chandler fans by bringing him back. At least an owner can admit to a mistake by doing something like that. I understood at the time why he did it, and I understand why he brings him back now. The game of thrones NBA style isn't an easy one to play. Not when you're in the toughest division in the league.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #482
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cuban couldn't even tear himself away from Shark Tank long enough to visit with a free agent that he felt was key.
As I understand it, Cuban didn't want Deron. Donnie and/or Rick did. Cuban's staying at Shark Tank was subterfuge. Notice how he's been there in person for the two big FA meetings since.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #483
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I highly doubt that the Mavs would have signed Deron if Cuban wasn't all in.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #484
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And my criticism of jumping the gun wouldn't involve you then now would it?

No doubt the Mavs misread the new CBA, and unbelievably so. Cuban just shouldn't have made predictions period, but he had to justify not bring back the championship team at the time. It was a tough choice to make, and he made it.

But he also appeased the many Chandler fans by bringing him back. At least an owner can admit to a mistake by doing something like that. I understood at the time why he did it, and I understand why he brings him back now. The game of thrones NBA style isn't an easy one to play. Not when you're in the toughest division in the league.
did not happen. He doubled down on his moves. But Im happy as hell Tyson is back.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #485
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They didn't sign Deron.

Regardless, believe what you want. This is information from people who are well connected.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #486
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
They didn't sign Deron.

Regardless, believe what you want. This is information from people who are well connected.
No one is saying that they did. I'm saying that they wouldn't have signed Deron if he were willing if Cuban wasn't on board. It's not too hard to figure out.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #487
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As I understand it, Cuban didn't want Deron. Donnie and/or Rick did. Cuban's staying at Shark Tank was subterfuge. Notice how he's been there in person for the two big FA meetings since.
Ding, ding.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #488
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

FWIW Deron stated the acquisition of Joe Johnson swayed him to stay, but who truly knows.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...-brooklyn-nets
Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #489
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed..what was it supposed to be deniable plausibility or something? You are in or you are out when you are making that decision. Cuban saying different now is spin.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #490
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Ding, ding.
Sounds more like he's learned his lesson.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #491
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
If Rockets match the Mavericks offer, Dallas better look at Luol Deng, Trevor Ariza and Lance Stephenson quick. I heard the Suns are really trying to get Luol Deng
If Houston matches they don't have need of an ariza,Deng. Miami definitely does and IMO,will get first pick.

Last edited by dude1394; 07-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #492
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Asking around, the Mavs definitely don't feel like they're assuming they'll get Parsons, but they're still optimistic. Feel like it's 50/50.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #493
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know what significant RFA's weren't matched? Carlos Boozer to Utah comes to mind but who else? I assume this doesnt happen a lot.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #494
BGMaverick9
Guru

You could make a case that it happened today with IT in Sacramento.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #495
LonghornDub

Quote:
No one is saying that they did. I'm saying that they wouldn't have signed Deron if he were willing if Cuban wasn't on board. It's not too hard to figure out.
Sure they would have. Cuban was willing to pay the dough if the guy said yes, or else he would have just told Donnie and Rick, "No, I'm not meeting with them and neither are you." He was willing to defer to his lieutenants, he just wasn't sold enough to attend the meeting himself.

Again, believe what you want. It's not that hard to figure out, after all.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #496
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Asking around, the Mavs definitely don't feel like they're assuming they'll get Parsons, but they're still optimistic. Feel like it's 50/50.
Thats how i feel. Gonna really come down to 9pm PST on Sunday before it becomes known
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #497
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
FWIW Deron stated the acquisition of Joe Johnson swayed him to stay, but who truly knows.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...-brooklyn-nets
He has also said that Cuban not being there was disappointing.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #498
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Sure they would have. Cuban was willing to pay the dough if the guy said yes, or else he would have just told Donnie and Rick, "No, I'm not meeting with them and neither are you." He was willing to defer to his lieutenants, he just wasn't sold enough to attend the meeting himself.

You're off on this one.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #499
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
He wasn't going to show.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #500
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Ding, ding.
Nope
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #501
LonghornDub

Quote:
You're off on this one.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #502
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
I want to know what significant RFA's weren't matched? Carlos Boozer to Utah comes to mind but who else? I assume this doesnt happen a lot.
Heh heh.. Steve Nash.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #503
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Well.. Pretty whacky way to sign your dirk successor IMO.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #504
TrappedInDenver

TrappedInDenver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Exhibit A: Monte Ellis for 8 million. Perhaps the best free agent bargain of 2013.
Love Monta as he's fun to watch but I'd give that award to Paul Milsap.
TrappedInDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #505
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Clutch fans do not want want Parsons at $14.7M per, and think Ariza will take 8-9M per to play there ...the problem is Ariza has stated that he wants $12M per.

They think Deng does not fit their roster.

Also there's a common notion that even with the addition of Parsons and Chandler that we are still nothing more than an 8th seed.

However, they do not underestimate Carlisle.

Last edited by Mav Addict; 07-11-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #506
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
You could make a case that it happened today with IT in Sacramento.
If Bulls amnesty Boozer Mavs should pounce.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #507
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Heh heh.. Steve Nash.
Was he restricted? I remember the part where he gave Cuban time to match, but I thought he was totally free
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #508
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Lots of revisionist history to say Cuban didn't want Derron. It's the same Cuban defenders that said him not being there was due to sharktank contractual obligations that were impossible to break. Or that actually being there didn't matter because they could utilize video conference technology.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #509
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Joe Johnson and Wes Mathews come to mind.

Nash was not restricted.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #510
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Nope
I can tell you for a fact that LonghornDub is right.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #511
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Lots of revisionist history to say Cuban didn't want Derron. It's the same Cuban defenders that said him not being there was due to sharktank contractual obligations that were impossible to break. Or that actually being there didn't matter because they could utilize video conference technology.
I'm not convinced it's not revisionist history, but I definitely heard Cuban on the radio before free agency and he absolutely hinted that they were waffling on whether it was better to give all your space to one guy or build depth. He made it pretty clear that the front office was not yet in agreement.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #512
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that LonghornDub is right.
Well, to be fair, you can tell us for a fact that Cuban claims this is what happened.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #513
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure how it's revisionist history when it was mentioned shortly after Deron's decision that Cuban didn't want him.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #514
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure how it's revisionist history when it was mentioned shortly after Deron's decision that Cuban didn't want him.
Because it's a very natural human reaction to rationalize how much you wanted something in the first place when you don't get it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #515
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

edit:Wrong thread

Last edited by Cerberus; 07-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #516
Mav Addict
Golden Member

I really want Parsons here, although Deng was my first option, only b/c I thought Parsons was an unrealistic expectation.

One can only hope Morey doesn't match, in order to pursuit a pipe dream "superstar" lineup for next year.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #517
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not as disappointing as his performance with the Nets. DWill averaged 14 points and 6 assists in 32 minutes. Calderon got us 11 and 5 for half the price. And we are arguing over him ...why? To make Cuban look stupid? Or clairvoyant?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #518
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Because it's a very natural human reaction to rationalize how much you wanted something in the first place when you don't get it.
The case for "rationalization" or "revisionist history" (and I'm not saying you said those things) would be a lot more compelling if his actions weren't entirely consistent with the idea.

If people (again, not you) want to think it's just a coincidence that Cuban skipped one particular FA meeting out of three--even though all three of them happened at the same time of year, and he's been on Shark Tank all three times--I find that curious. I find it especially curious because, as you point out, many of his comments well before the meeting hinted at disagreement among the FO. He made no similar comments before the latter two FA meetings, which he attended.

*edit* Would also note that the "revisionist history" comment to which BG responded was accusing people in this thread--not Cuban himself--of revisionist history right now. Hence BG's response that it's not exactly revisionist history when the information is several years old and contemporaneous with the event.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-11-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #519
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The case for "rationalization" or "revisionist history" (and I'm not saying you said those things) would be a lot more compelling if his actions weren't entirely consistent with the idea.

If people (again, not you) want to think it's just a coincidence that Cuban skipped one particular FA meeting out of three--even though all three of them happened at the same time of year, and he's been on Shark Tank all three times--I find that curious. I find it especially curious because, as you point out, many of his comments well before the meeting hinted at disagreement among the FO. He made no similar comments before the latter two FA meetings, which he attended.
Weren't you the one telling me about a possible liquidated damages provision in his SharkTank contract that could allow the network to sue Cuban for his personal assets?
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #520
LonghornDub

Quote:
Weren't you the one telling me about a possible liquidated damages provision in his SharkTank contract that could allow the network to sue Cuban for his personal assets?
Nope. I have no idea if that's true one way or another.

I will note that a "liquidated damages" provision wouldn't "allow" them to sue, but that's a story so boring it even puts me to sleep.

Tags
is this clutchfans.net?, nonclutchfans.net