Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

There hasn't been alot of presidential races in the past where I thought.... 'One candidate is clearly a good human being and has our country's best intentions at heart.. and the other is nothing more than a politician that would stab his own mother in the back if that's what it took to get to where he wants to go'.. but that is the case here.

If any of you watched the series The Dead Zone on tv... Obama is the real life version of the main political character from that show. I suppose you have to wonder if Obama has the devil whispering in his ear giving him advice.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-09-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #42
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I suppose you have to wonder if Obama has the devil whispering in his ear giving him advice.
Well whatever it is, it's going to work.

He's the perfect American Idol President for the masses that don't want to spend any time trying to figure out what his plan is or what his qualifications are (both fruitless errands, of course). No, they can pretty much just scroll by the news on the tv every once in a while and say "well he makes a good speech" and then keep right on clicking.

If you've worked hard enough in life to accumulate any kind of wealth the libs have decided you don't deserve, you might want to think about an off-shore account soon. I don't think there's any stopping the Obama express.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Heh...I think I'd call it indigestion. Keep country first baracky..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2-oDfgGpQK...e+surge+II.jpg

Quote:
September 05, 2008
Obama's Position on the Troop Surge is Giving Me Whiplash
Barack Obama has a new position on the effectiveness of the troop surge in Iraq. He also claims that this new position is not new in that he has "already said" that the surge has succeeded in reducing violence beyond our wildest dreams:

Quote:
September 4, 2008

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”
However, he added, the country has not had enough “political reconciliation” and Iraqis still have not taken responsibility for their country.

The fact that Obama has finally gotten in touch with the glaringly obvious effectiveness of the troop surge does not seem particularly newsworthy to me (except, perhaps, as a check on his sanity). If he had said that the sky is blue, that would not be particularly newsworthy either.

What is newsworthy (to me, anyway) is the relationship between what he is saying now and what he has said all along. I have put his past comments in the context of casualties in Iraq. This is a chart that is worth keeping in mind whenever the discussion of the troop surge comes up:

Quote:
Obama likes to talk about his "judgment" in opposing the war in Iraq. But if he is going to use that as the big test of his wisdom, you also have to consider his judgment with respect to the troop surge in Iraq. As indicated in the chart, Obama introduced a bill to withdraw U.S. forces even though sectarian violence was at its very height:
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 09-05-2008 at 06:24 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure this is true of just about any politician, but I love how "it's succeeded beyond our wildest dreams" is apparantly an acceptable replacement for "I was wrong".

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Go look up legislating defeat in the dictionary and you'll find one significant bill that barack was trying to pass. March 31, 2008.. Wow...Churchill, he is not.

Quote:
Obama Bill Sets Date For Troop Withdrawal

Candidate Goes Further Than Rivals

January 31, 2007

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, one of the most prominent Democrats in the 2008 presidential field, proposed for the first time setting a deadline for withdrawing troops from Iraq, as part of a broader plan aimed at bolstering the freshman senator's foreign policy credentials.

Obama's legislation, offered on the Senate floor last night, would remove all combat brigades from Iraq by March 31, 2008.
Sarah'cuda weighed in.

Quote:
UPDATE: Sarah Palin, in a speech today:

"But just last night, Senator Obama finally broke, and brought himself to admit what all the rest of us have known for quite some time, and that’s thanks to the skill and valor of our troops, the surge in Iraq has succeeded," Palin said referring to an answer Obama gave to Fox News' Bill O'Reilly Thursday.

In his first appearance on "The O'Reilly factor" Obama said that the troop surge succeeded ‘beyond our wildest dreams.' "I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated, by the way, including President Bush and the other supporters," he told O'Reilly.

Palin took issue with Obama’s response and reminded voters that John McCain initially supported the troop surge.

"I guess when you turn out to be profoundly wrong on a vital national security issue, maybe it's comforting to pretend that everyone was wrong too. But I remember it a little differently. It seems to me there was one leader in Washington who did predict success, who refused to call retreat and risked his own career for the sake of the surge and victory in Iraq and ladies and gentlemen that man is standing right next to me. Senator John McCain," Palin said.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 09-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #46
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

let's not go overboard on the "surge" thing, there were many other items that helped turn the tide....not to say it wasn't major in the scheme of things, but it was just one element in the turnaround.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

But there is one undeniable fact.... Obama was more than willing to allow genocide to occur and the let the middle east go up in flames with iran picking up the pieces. And proposing to legislate a US defeat.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #48
dude1394
Guru

So when Obama changes his mind on 527's will Janett still support him?
http://www.pajamasmedia.com/instapun...es2/024086.php
Quote:
FIRST PUBLIC FUNDING, NOW A 527 FLIP-FLOP:

There's been a spurt of 527 activity on behalf of Sen. John McCain, but Barack Obama campaign has suddenly gone silent on the subject.

That's because, after a year of telling donors not to contribute to 527 groups, of encouraging strategists not to form them and of suggesting that outside messaging efforts would not be welcome in Obama's Democratic Party, Obama's strategists have changed their approach.

An Obama adviser privy to the campaign's internal thinking on the matter says that,with less than two months before the election and with the realization that Republicans have achieved financial parity with Democrats, they hope that Democratic allies -- what another campaign aide termed "the cavalry" -- will come to Obama's aid. . . . The money is there. The top two 527s -- the Service Employees International Union and America Votes -- are liberal in orientation.

Meet the new politics, same as the old politics. Plus, what do Obama's campaign troubles say about his executive ability?