Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 02-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #41
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
That dog won't hunt. Not only are your comparisons apples and oranges, but I don't have to be in favor of legislation to ban all forms of behavior that are potentially harmful to be in favor of a ban on gay marriages. I'm sorry; that's just silly.

I'm not going out of my way to harm anyone.

"any or all" then why this one? i would argue that alcohol has a much more tramatic affect on people, families, society than gay marraige ever could. is it that you don't mind chugging a beer with the guys, so it must be okay, but since you're not gay, then that has to be banned?. reeks of hypocrisy to me.

and yes, taking the effort to argue, signing petittions (assuming you have or you would if presented with one), and getting out and voting against it is going out of your way.

Last edited by mnmpeanut; 02-15-2006 at 12:36 PM.
mnmpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #42
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #43
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

talk about taking something out of context....
Old 02-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #44
Jeremiah

Old 02-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #45
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe those who don't vote are doing so for a nefarious political reason.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #46
mnmpeanut

actually, my point was that the entire process of debating, petitioning, and voting would be going out of one's way.

i think you may have struck a chord when you said "ones that do might seem to be going out of their way to express their opinion". voting isn't always about your "opinion" on a topic, it's about the legality of it. personally, i don't drink or do drugs. my opinion is that their use is stupid in just about every circumstance. but i'm not going to go tell my buddy next door that he can't do them. it's his choice. my opinion as to whether they are right or wrong has no bearing.

if someone asked my opinion on the color of someone's hair, i might tell them that i didn't care for it. if i had to vote on whether to make that person change their hair color or not, i would vote for them to do whatever they want with it. you can have an opinion without forcing others to live by it.

i think too many people are voting "i don't think homosexuality is right" or "i don't like gays" instead of voting whether it should be legal to ban two consenting adults from getting married. you don't have to like it, you don't have to partake, but just because you don't doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #47
Jeremiah

Default Same sex marriage in MA limited

Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 AM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
actually, my point was that the entire process of debating, petitioning, and voting would be going out of one's way.

i think you may have struck a chord when you said "ones that do might seem to be going out of their way to express their opinion". voting isn't always about your "opinion" on a topic, it's about the legality of it. personally, i don't drink or do drugs. my opinion is that their use is stupid in just about every circumstance. but i'm not going to go tell my buddy next door that he can't do them. it's his choice. my opinion as to whether they are right or wrong has no bearing.

if someone asked my opinion on the color of someone's hair, i might tell them that i didn't care for it. if i had to vote on whether to make that person change their hair color or not, i would vote for them to do whatever they want with it. you can have an opinion without forcing others to live by it.

i think too many people are voting "i don't think homosexuality is right" or "i don't like gays" instead of voting whether it should be legal to ban two consenting adults from getting married. you don't have to like it, you don't have to partake, but just because you don't doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to.
I understand your point about homosexuality, but you are way off base with the drugs comment. I'm sorry, but the use of illegal drugs obviously has a impact someone's likeliness to be in other legal trouble. While in high school, I worked in a convenience store and saw more than my fair share of people that were high off of their ass. A gentleman that worked at the same store lost his life when someone came in coked up out of their minds and blew his head off without thinking twice about it. There's no way in hell that someone choosing to take it up the ass from another guy equates to someone choosing to use illegal drugs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #49
mnmpeanut

i understand that, murph, but the same can be said for alcohol, but we don't dare outlaw that (well, the TABC is trying).

i live in a small town, small enough that they still print the police report on the back page of the weekly paper. i would estimate that about 30% of the entries in this section involve illegal drugs, usually possession of pot on a traffic stop, and i would estimate another 50-55% involve alcohol, whether it's a barfight, public intoxication, drunk driving, or drunken domestic violence.