Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default New ball roundly disliked by Mavs

New ball roundly disliked by Mavs

Ever-growing list of players still trying to get a grip on switch

01:01 AM CDT on Thursday, October 5, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – As far as the Mavericks are concerned, the NBA can take its new ball and go home.

The league decided to change official basketballs this season, replacing the pebbled, leather spheres with a microfiber composite ball that is getting widely ripped.

"They stink," guard Jason Terry said of the new ball. "I've worked out with it all summer long, and I've grown accustomed to losing the ball out of bounds a couple times. It's going to happen."

The ball has the look and feel of an indoor-outdoor ball, Terry said. And he's not the only one who has had trouble holding onto it.

"Dirk [Nowitzki] had two or three layups [in practice] and they just popped right out of his hands," Terry said.

Nowitzki, one of the NBA's biggest stars, gave a succinct impression of the new ball: a thumb's-down signal.

The Mavericks are falling in line with just about every other player in the league. Shaquille O'Neal blasted the ball even before he'd played with it, although it's the same game ball used in the last two All-Star Games, league officials said.

While the dimensions of the ball are the same as the previous ball, which had been used for more than 35 years, it simply looks and feels different.

"It's like a volleyball," coach Avery Johnson said. "It feels smaller than the other ball. But I personally don't complain about that stuff. It's just different. We been using another ball for 100 years, and it's change. And you got to adjust to change."

The league announced their would be new official game ball during the off-season. It was only the second change in the ball in 60 seasons. The ball has a special traction design that is supposed to offer superior grip and feel. But it seems to be more of a synthetic feel than anything else, according to players.

About the only positive players could find with the new ball is that it doesn't need a break-in period like the leather balls. Of course, that means the new ball always feels new, which isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

"Once the ball gets wet, it's going to go everywhere," guard Devin Harris said. "People going up for layups are having the ball slip out. I think there's going to be more turnovers and lower shooting percentages."

Harris said the ball is particularly unruly when it gets moisture on it.

"If they can keep the ball from getting wet, moving balls in and out, so it can stay dry, that might work," he said. "I don't see it getting any better."

Like it or not, the players will have to live with it. The NBA has no intentions of going back to leather.

And at least one Maverick thinks the new ball is an improvement.

"I got no problem with it," Josh Howard said. "A ball's a ball. Once you get in the groove, it still goes in. And I got smaller hands, and this one is easier for me to palm."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Jho is the first player I've heard who actually like it. Maybe....just maybe....they'll switch back.....but I doubt it.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

New ball is all wet

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON -- Dirk Nowitzki's opinion wasn't difficult to interpret: a big thumbs down.

But perhaps the biggest criticism came from Jerry Stackhouse, summing up how the dreams of a young player were brushed aside when the NBA introduced a new basketball for this season.

"As a kid going up through high school and then college, you dream about playing with that leather NBA basketball," Stackhouse said. "This new ball is the one I played with in the back yard when I was 12.

"Nobody that ever played the game would want to change that ball. Nobody. Not Michael Jordan. Not Dr. J. Nobody."

The league did change it, unveiling a new ball for the first time in more than 35 years. Unlike its predecessors, the current ball isn't made of leather. According to the league and manufacturer Spalding, the material is a microfiber composite design to better absorb moisture and provide a superior grip.

That's the claim, and it's one the majority of Mavericks isn't buying two days into training camp at the University of North Texas. Even though they each received the new ball that features eight oblong panels to work with this summer, the transition hasn't been smooth.

Point guard Devin Harris predicted sloppier games this season because of the ball. That's definitely not good news for a league that's tweaked the rules for years in an attempt to increase scoring while showcasing the best players in the world.

"Once the ball gets wet, it's going to go everywhere," Harris said. "People going up for layups here are having the ball slip out. I think there's going to be more turnovers and lower shooting percentages."

Fellow point guard Jason Terry echoed Harris' sentiments.

"I feel just like everybody else -- they stink," Terry said. "Everybody's against change. I've worked out with it all summer long, and I've grown accustomed to losing the ball out of bounds a couple times. It's going to happen.

"Dirk had two or three layups [in practice], and they just popped right out of his hands."

The dislike of the ball wasn't unanimous. Mavs coach Avery Johnson compared it to a volleyball because it feels smaller. Josh Howard said because of his small hands, the new ball is easier to palm.

"I have no problem with it," Howard said. "A ball is a ball. Once you get going in that [shooting] groove, it's a wrap."

Harris and Stackhouse suggested a football approach of periodically rotating in a dry ball.

"If they can keep the ball from getting wet, moving balls in and out so it can stay dry, that might work," Harris said.

Johnson said the players have no choice but to adjust, even if they don't like it. After two days of practice, they're trying.

"It's still round, so we'll have to make it work," Stackhouse said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares?? If these guys don't play with other balls then the whole league might as well cancel the season. Otherwise, this isn't something to cry about. I want the Mavs to be tought this season, not whine like a bunch of babies over a synthetic feeling ball. The synthetic refs are what I would worry about. I've played with hybrid balls many times and had no problem. If Terry worked with it all summer then he had all summer to adjust. Not like they are throwing this at us at the last minute.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i've got synthetic balls
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sick.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty stupid of them to change the ball in the first place
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

The NBA leadership is a joke. They say the new ball is supposed to be better for the players, yet very few players like it. It's supposed to eliminate moisture issues, but the players say it is slick when it's wet. So what are they really doing?

Are we supposed to believe that the expense of breaking in new leather is so astronomical that it requires a change in the most critical object of the game. If you gave the fans, players, and coaches a list of things that need to change to improve the game, I'll bet you would not get "the ball" as an answer even once.

Can you imagine the NFL going to nerf, Major league baseball going to plastic wiffle balls, hockey going to frozen ding dongs? What the hell is up with this league!
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

What I find most interesting is that the league apparently did not take the desires of its players into account when making the change.

So what is the point? Does it look better on TV? Does Spalding want to switch so it can sell more? There has to be a reason. I'd start with the Woodward and Bernstein method, FOLLOW THE MONEY.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Who cares?? If these guys don't play with other balls then the whole league might as well cancel the season. Otherwise, this isn't something to cry about. I want the Mavs to be tought this season, not whine like a bunch of babies over a synthetic feeling ball. The synthetic refs are what I would worry about. I've played with hybrid balls many times and had no problem. If Terry worked with it all summer then he had all summer to adjust. Not like they are throwing this at us at the last minute.
They aren't whining, they were asked if they liked them, and they are just answering the question. None of the players like the change so it's not like they are the only ones voicing their displeasure.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
The NBA leadership is a joke. They say the new ball is supposed to be better for the players, yet very few players like it. It's supposed to eliminate moisture issues, but the players say it is slick when it's wet. So what are they really doing?

Are we supposed to believe that the expense of breaking in new leather is so astronomical that it requires a change in the most critical object of the game. If you gave the fans, players, and coaches a list of things that need to change to improve the game, I'll bet you would not get "the ball" as an answer even once.

Can you imagine the NFL going to nerf, Major league baseball going to plastic wiffle balls, hockey going to frozen ding dongs? What the hell is up with this league!
the nfl did change balls a few years ago and all the kickers complained about it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I don't like the change and more importantly the timing of the change. Why does this have to happen when the Mavs are at the top and arguably the favorites to win it all?! Why couldn't they do it back in the early '90s.

Now this leads to at best, when the Mavs win, rest of the league will use this as an excuse and try to put an asterisk to the ring... and at worst, this new ball serves as a great equalizer and lead to ridiculous upsets, potentially leading to an early round exit for the Mavs.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #13
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

From ESPN: more player reactions

So who the hell did the NBA ask when getting feedback? Sure doesnt seem the players. And while some do like it, most agree that its terrible when wet, when supposedly that wasnt supposed to be the case.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
creditXpert2003
Banned

creditXpert2003 is infamous around these partscreditXpert2003 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexNBA

So who the hell did the NBA ask when getting feedback? Sure doesnt seem the players. And while some do like it, most agree that its terrible when wet, when supposedly that wasnt supposed to be the case.

I think that David Stern and Stu Jackson were the two to try it out, and they both liked it, so that was a majority decision on this ball issue. I guarantee nobody in the front office will say who officially tried out the ball for approval. This change is more about dollars than sense. Its all about cutting expenses some sort of way. I would bet my bottom dollar that the NBA are getting these balls for free from Spaulding in order to promote this ball.
creditXpert2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Jesus that's a lot of complaints. The league would be STUPID not to change it back.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by creditXpert2003
I think that David Stern and Stu Jackson were the two to try it out, and they both liked it, so that was a majority decision on this ball issue. I guarantee nobody in the front office will say who officially tried out the ball for approval. This change is more about dollars than sense. Its all about cutting expenses some sort of way. I would bet my bottom dollar that the NBA are getting these balls for free from Spaulding in order to promote this ball.
I'm sure it is more than free. Stern is probably getting paid for it.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #17
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

man with all these complaints why are they keeping it? i like the old balls, looks like there will be alot more powder flying around in the arena, from players going to it after every play
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its dumb...why change?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice
Default I smell an indorsment deal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I'm sure it is more than free. Stern is probably getting paid for it.
I think Spalding paid a huge amount to the NBA so they could get marketing rights and force them to use the ball they are so proud of. Looks like Spalding will get egg on its face when they try to sell the balls on the open market when NBA players will not indorse it.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

the only team that liked the new ball was the Blazers.

there must be something really wrong with it.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Watch for run & gun teams like the Suns to have more turnovers on fast breaks this season...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Like Josh said a ball is a ball and once you get into it it will go down...soo everything will be fine.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Like Josh said a ball is a ball and once you get into it it will go down...soo everything will be fine.

makes sense..since you know j-ho personally and all. And plus cause you play a lot of basketball..
Old 10-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest thing i expect to change is i expect a bad effect on finishing at the rim. Jet said he cant palm it and ball control is about as important a factor as athletecism when finishing at the rim. I think they will get used to it eventually but I think this will severly limit creativity at the rim.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

5-0 is probably right here on the finishing thing. I think all teams will have guys like JET who will have to adjust but it is a good point.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
5-0 is probably right here on the finishing thing. I think all teams will have guys like JET who will have to adjust but it is a good point.
I meant league wide but yes.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Let me hear how Harris likes it. When it comes to finishing around the rim, Harris uses the glass to good effect way more than any other Maverick.

I suspect that shooters like Dirk and Terry will get used to it. I can't envision it affecting anyone else on our team. Howard, maybe. But nobody ever accused him of touch in the paint.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its not just "touch" chum...but grip as well...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #29
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
makes sense..since you know j-ho personally and all. And plus cause you play a lot of basketball..

Yes sir i sure do play a lot of BB and whatever ball is being used once you get into the game it works...and i do know Josh in fact we just had a cup of tea at my house the other day...but i do think that all players will get used to it...no one likes change....but after a few weeks it will be just another thing and like one of the players said...a while from now theyll look back and ask how they ever played without it

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Post on cubes site regarding the new ball.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/2006/10/...-new-nba-ball/
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #31
fluid.forty.one

lol Cuban.. "Its too early in the season to get fined". Gotta love it.

He needs to work on his ' use though.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I had no idea the ball was a big point of contention before; that the captains would agree on a ball, that they wanted to change them at half time sometimes, that hey needed to be broken in....

I just thought that a ball was a ball.

I guess that's the point of the new ball.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #33
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

this will be forgotten after 10 games, who cares

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #34
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I must admit I had no idea the ball was a big point of contention before; that the captains would agree on a ball, that they wanted to change them at half time sometimes, that hey needed to be broken in....

I just thought that a ball was a ball.

I guess that's the point of the new ball.

im with you in that one
Old 10-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #35
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Very informative blog from Mark. It does make some sense why the league wanted to change the ball (I still don't like the timing, btw!).

Some random thoughts after reading Mark's blog:

1. Hopefully, Dirk & Jet (our top two offensive players!) get used to the ball quickly. Big % of their offense is jump shots and they may just get better as the season progresses.

2. Good news is... Josh (our 3rd most important offensive player!) already seems to like it.

3. Devin (our 4th most important offensive player!) may miss some bank shots due to a different spin off the glass. Hopefully his 800 shots/day offseason workout should help him as the season progresses.

4. We're one of the better rebounding teams and more missed shots could mean more opportunities to rebound.

5. We're not necessarily a great passing team... hence we may not lose the ball as much as say the Suns! Speaking of which, can we finally hope for an ugly Ast/TO ratio for Nash?!

6. One of our core strengths is defense & the transition game following that... the new ball should only help us more in that aspect, I'd guess.

7. Could there be any more uglier sight in sports than Shaq at the FT line this year?

8. Can't wait to see all those missed bank shots for TD!

9. Could the new ball in anyway negatively influence the love of Wade among the Refs? Or is it really too much to ask?!

10. New ball or not... 06/07 is our year! See y'all at the parade in June!!

Edited: Grammar & spellings!

Last edited by V2M; 10-06-2006 at 12:23 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #36
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

good thoughts from cubes.

and also PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) seem to like the new ball too, since no animals are hurt getting the composite material as opposed to the leather. That is another plus for the new ball!