Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #561
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
ha ha, nice icon, U2!
The board software wouldn't allow enough characters for "BEEENDING" so I had to shorten it....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-25-2007 at 01:42 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #562
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Babel.

Craphole of a movie. Man it was crappy. This crap got awards? What crap.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #563
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

pan's labyrinth -- fantastic movie
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #564
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

pan's labyrinth -- again over hyped and whoever compares this to LOTR should have their balls removed...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #565
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
pan's labyrinth -- again over hyped and whoever compares this to LOTR should have their balls removed...
no comparison between this and LOTR -- two very different movie genres.

*spoiler alert*

I think Pan's is mis-sold as a "fairy tale for adults."

Really, it is what it is -- it's a sad tale about a little girl who would rather imagine she is caught in a fairy tale than face the horrific world around her. All she has ever known other than the Spanish Civil War is her fairy tales, and sadly she can't imagine a fairy tale that isn't full of ugliness and despair (see the toad, the creepy thing with eyes in his hands, etc....). Very sad.

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-28-2007 at 11:50 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #566
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

stevie ray vaughn live at the montreaux jazz festival in 1985. Man that guy could play some wicked guitar!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #567
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Farscape season 1. its like jim henson meets star trek
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #568
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

The Illusionist

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #569
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Talladega Nights- i didn't think it was going to be that funny, and i haven't seen Will Farrell as the main character. It was really funny. Michael Clarke Duncan's part in the hospital was by far the best part of the movie. However, i felt like the more that movie kept going, the less funnier it got.

Knocked Up- This is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. I just thought it was going to be decent at best, but it was a great comedy.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #570
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

saw Knocked Up yesterday as well. I thought it was great. however, I'm not a prude or anything, but geez, they were cussing up a storm. seemed pretty unecessary at most points.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #571
alexamenos
Diamond Member

The Aviator. That Leonardo Dicaprio is a helluva fine actor, and he's just dreamy.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #572
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

BBL, I never really pay attention to cussing in a movie. Really because i'm so use to hearing it, i just tune it out. But that scene at the end, i don't even have to say it, over-shadows anything somebody may have said/done in the movie.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #573
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
BBL, I never really pay attention to cussing in a movie. Really because i'm so use to hearing it, i just tune it out. But that scene at the end, i don't even have to say it, over-shadows anything somebody may have said/done in the movie.
If we are talking about the same scene...

I'm going to have nightmares for weeks on end.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #574
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha, i could be seeing that same thing in about 3 weeks or so. i haven't decided if i'm going to actually look...

i was actually wondering about that scene and the rating. i guess you can get away with that under that context.

as for the cussing, i'm desensitized to it in real life, i guess, and it didn't bother me at all in 40-year-old virgin. and there were scenes (like the fight between rogen and heigl, and the guys ripping on each other) where cursing would be the norm. but it was the other scenes, like in the restaurants, or one specific scene, where the sister was looking up sexual predators, where it really seemed out of place.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-04-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #575
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Children of Men
Trainspotting
Slacker
Quiz Show
Afro Samurai
My Own Private Idaho

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #576
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
ha ha, i could be seeing that same thing in about 3 weeks or so. i haven't decided if i'm going to actually look...
Man, I hope you don't for your sake. If I actually did look, there would be no way I could ever look at that zone the same way again.

But I'm not at that dad age so what do I know.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 06-05-2007 at 01:28 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #577
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The Fountain...

...should be renamed to "what the f>>>?"

Oddly enough, I kinda liked the damn thing. The soundtrack might haunt me forever...simple, powerful.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #578
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Breach

Letters of Iwo Jima

Citizen Kane - purchased
Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #579
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Black Snake Moan -- ok movie
Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #580
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
The Fountain...

...should be renamed to "what the f>>>?"

Oddly enough, I kinda liked the damn thing. The soundtrack might haunt me forever...simple, powerful.
Agreed....wt?? Like the visuals and like Hugh Jackman but it did get pretty tedious.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #581
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Days of Heaven
Alphaville
My Life to Live

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #582
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Well the movie snobs will shoot me for saying this but Citizen Kane was a waste of my money and time. I thought since it WAS the #1 movie of all time for 2 decades that it would be worth $20.

I wish I would have purchased a copy of Harvey. It is only $9.99.

Last edited by Nemesis; 07-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #583
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Pearl Harbor - Started it yesterday for the 4th and finished it today. I always thought James Cameron directed this movie. Don't know where I got that.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #584
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like citizen kane either. I'm in the process of going through the best pictures and nominees at the moment.

Just finished something called Arrowsmith(1931) with Ronald Coleman in the role of a doktor trying to find an antibiotic (Pasteur beats him to it).

Interesting but not that good, 2 stars.

The Champ(1931) with Walter Beery is next.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-05-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #585
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

If you don't like Citizen Kane, stop watching movies. Other than Pearl Harbor, I guess. You can watch that.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #586
Nemesis
Diamond Member

hmm...as I said.

How about explaining to us inferior movie-buffs why Citizen Kane is such a great movie. It totally escaped me. And don't you dare say anything about the freaking shadows over certain characters faces at different times. That requires an ass kicking.

Last edited by Nemesis; 07-06-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #587
alexamenos
Diamond Member

I thought Citizen Kane was a very good movie, tho I'd agree that the fuss seems a bit much from time to time. I understand it's significant on some technical matters, but I'm not enough of a movie historian to appreciate it's contributions.

On the Waterfront, on the other hand, was just a bunch of crap communist propaganda. It's basically a morality play, where the hero is presented with the not so difficult choice of hooking up with the smoking hot blonde chick or hanging with a bunch of crooked longshoreman. The choice is presented as a difficult one, not because the hero has any real emotional ties with the longshoreman, but because he's an idiot.

Brando's "I coulda been a contenduh" line is cool, but the rest of the movie is overblown tripe.

Last edited by alexamenos; 07-06-2007 at 09:58 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #588
dude1394
Guru

Just saw Letters from Iwo Jima. Very,very good. Much better than the first one "Flags of our Fathers".

Both sides had heard that the japanese/american were "savage, cowardly" from their own propoganda. Of course there were both of those on both sides. It was also an interesting study on how previously friends had to serve their countries.

Powerful stuff.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #589
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Match Point is very good.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #590
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
Match Point is very good.
Looks good but Woody Allen. Sorry...woody doesn't get any of my bread.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #591
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I guess Salt can't come up with a legitimate reason (other than what he learns at film school) for the bold claim that we should stop watching movies. Pretty weak.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #592
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I didn't like citizen kane either. I'm in the process of going through the best pictures and nominees at the moment.

Just finished something called Arrowsmith(1931) with Ronald Coleman in the role of a doktor trying to find an antibiotic (Pasteur beats him to it).

Interesting but not that good, 2 stars.

The Champ(1931) with Walter Beery is next.
I haven't seen Arrowsmith, but it's one of my favorite books. Sinclair Lewis. I didn't know it had been made into a movie. I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #593
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Pan's Labyrinth..... couldn't get anywhere close to finishing that movie...not that good at all.

what's spinning in my DVD player?
Deadwood season 3
Six Feet Under season 4
The Wire season 2
Carnivale season 2

About to watch Shooter.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #594
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Pan's Labyrinth..... couldn't get anywhere close to finishing that movie...not that good at all.

what's spinning in my DVD player?
Deadwood season 3
Six Feet Under season 4
The Wire season 2
Carnivale season 2

About to watch Shooter.
Watched shooter last night. I liked it...It gets a little far-fetched as most action-type movies do (you know a skillion bad guys can't outshoot one good guy). But it was good in a bourne-identity type mode, I always enjoy those.

Only one smart-aleck scene with political crap, guess the author couldn't help themselves.

Give it a solid B.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #595
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
The Aviator. That Leonardo Dicaprio is a helluva fine actor, and he's just dreamy.
I thought that was good as well. Saw blood diamond, not so good...the other one with he and Jack Nicholson was pretty good but damned violent.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #596
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
requiem for a dream....hadn't thought about that movie in quite a while. it's a real killer. one of those flicks that you can't get out of your head for a few days.
I saw that one and Memento at about the same time, really good stuff. I had to go buy Reqieum for a Dream, it was shocking.

Every bit as good as American History X which I really like.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #597
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Jurassic Park 1,2,3- I read they're in talks of coming out with a 4th one, so that made me want to see the first one, but at my local Best Buy, you can't buy just one, you have to buy all 3. First one was a good movie. I still don't think there's been that much hype around a movie except maybe those Star Wars movies and of course Titanic.
Buying movies?? Wow..I don't buy many at all any more.

1. Libraries. Can put them on hold, if you are in dallas you can get them from all over and shipped to your local library.
2. Then netflix---> blockbuster online.
3. If you want really old ones you still have to get VCR tapes from your local library, many haven't made it to DVD yet.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #598
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I guess Salt can't come up with a legitimate reason (other than what he learns at film school) for the bold claim that we should stop watching movies. Pretty weak.
Rofl.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #599
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Glad you got a laugh but you still didn't put up, sooooo...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #600
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Black Snake Moan.......... surprisingly good
Shooter......... good, like dude says, far fetched
Live Free, Die Hard....... you have to take suspended belief to the next level on this one
Transformers........ amazing.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?