Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #241
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the ending was a little forced but it still worked. Shawshank was amazing. I cant believe you hadnt seen it till now.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #242
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Just finished Masculin/Feminin. I love Jean-Luc Godard. That is all.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #243
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Watched X3. Great action scenes but the ending was ridiculous/terrible. They turned what should have been an awesome movie into a decent action movie. I still liked it because of my love for the xmen but this could/should have been done so much better.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #244
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I've heard nothing but horrible reviews for X3, but I really want to go see it to see the "Snakes on a Plane" preview.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #245
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I really enjoyed Ray for the acting and the music. Otherwise, the film was kind of a bust.

Then they decided to remake it as "Walk the Line." Once again, enjoyed the acting and music, at least.

To be fair, I still own both movies. I like music too much I guess, and good acting is one of my favorite parts of film.
Walk the Line was far superior to Ray.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #246
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I never made any claim as to which one was better, Murph. Walk the Line is probably a better film, but that doesn't make it great, it just means it is against bad competition.

That being said, I do not think it is a bad movie.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #247
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed watching X3 - the special effects were good, the action was fast and I really enjoyed some of the new mutants. There wasn't alot of character development and the story didn't flesh out as well as it could have, but quite frankly that wasn't the reason I went to see it in the first place. The ending was definitely lacking, but oh well.

I also saw "Thank You for Smoking" - excellent, excellent satire about a guy who is a lobbyist for the smoking industry. Well written, well acted - a ton of people were in this - William H. Macy, Rob Lowe, Kate whatserface, Sam Elliott, hhmmm the Arian leader from Oz (funny guy) and a few more I can't remember right now. It was the funniest movie I've seen in a while - I highly recommend it

Edited: To change the name of the movie...thanks SWC

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-29-2006 at 06:27 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:31 AM   #248
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Aryan guy from Oz = J.K. Simmons, an awesome actor. Bill Koechner (sp?) of SNL fame, and Maria Bello were also in it. You also failed to mention the lead, Aaron Eckhart. I hope he continues to get roles, I really like him. The movie is actually called "Thank Your For Smoking," and it was fantastic.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #249
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i just hate the fact that halle berry is still in the x-men movies. she was the worst thing about the first two.

i'm excited for more colossus, though. i always liked that dude. i don't know if it happens, but a juggernaut/colossus square-off would be sweet. it always was in the comics.

i wanted to see "thank you for smoking". i heard it had good performances, now i've heard that again.

saltwater, have you seen "In the company of men"? one of eckhart's best roles, and man, do you ever end up HATING the guy.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #250
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

has a former hardcore Xmen comic fan, this movie (X3) was nigh blasphemy.

I won't ruin it for ya, but only a half hearted fan or a totally ignorant one could enjoy this film.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #251
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ that being said, KG as Beast was a move of sheer genius.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #252
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that disappoints me, sike. cause i am (well, was, haven't picked up a comic in years) a big x-men fan. is it still entertaining amid all the blasphemy?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #253
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
that disappoints me, sike. cause i am (well, was, haven't picked up a comic in years) a big x-men fan. is it still entertaining amid all the blasphemy?
at points. but some seriously wack stuff goes down...as if the writers knew they were only going to be signed on for one flick so they did their darndest to trash the thing for the next guys....

maybe you'll be less disappointed than I was....you still have to see it of course...but just go in with rather low expectations...and then maybe you'll be slightly pleased.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #254
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i never liked the title, "The Last Stand" to begin with. like they are intentionally killing off the franchise.

maybe we'll get an "X-Men Begins" somewhere down the road, a la batman. a reinvention, if you will.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #255
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
yeah, i never liked the title, "The Last Stand" to begin with. like they are intentionally killing off the franchise.

maybe we'll get an "X-Men Begins" somewhere down the road, a la batman. a reinvention, if you will.
I already said the same thing to some of my pals....

and dangged it all if the Ghost Rider trailer does not look 100% kick butt!!!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #256
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

was that before x-men? then i'll need to get there earlier. ghost rider was another comic i was into. i was a little wary when cage was cast. but honestly, i have't read much about it since. is he still the lead?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-29-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #257
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

wow, just saw it on apple's movie trailer site. that movie could either be AWESOME, or a complete joke.

the effects look pretty good. liked the clip of him riding next to the ghost rider on the horse.

and good lord, eva mendes is hot.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-29-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #258
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
wow, just saw it on apple's movie trailer site. that movie could either be AWESOME, or a complete joke.

the effects look pretty good. liked the clip of him riding next to the ghost rider on the horse.

and good lord, eva mendes is hot.
and you're hooked!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #259
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
I've heard nothing but horrible reviews for X3, but I really want to go see it to see the "Snakes on a Plane" preview.

Salty, when Snakes on a Plane came up, people in the theatre, including myself, literally stood up and cheered. It was funny.

As for X3, maybe i'm just an easy person to entertain, but i enjoyed the movie. Special effects were good, action sequences were good, i'm just disappointed there wasn't more Angel. Maybe they'll do better on the next one.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #260
sike
The Preacha

can someone please explain the snakes on the plane gig??? I am totally lost on that. I saw the trailer...and it just look too silly

Last edited by sike; 05-29-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #261
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Sike that's what's got so many people excited. The thought of the movie is so silly that people are just going to mock it. I swear it was like anything i've ever seen when that trailer came on. I honestly think people went to see X3 just to watch the SOAP trailer.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #262
sike
The Preacha

Is the movie a gag like an airplane flick or a naked gun movie...or is it actually for real?

Old 05-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #263
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Snakes on a Plane has become an Internet phenemenon. Here are the reasons.

1) The ridiculous title: Samuel L. Jackson does a lot of movies. Seriously, look it up. He's in everything. Someone handed him a script for a movie called "Snakes on a Plane." He said he'd be in it without reading the script. Later, they were going to change it to "Pacific Flight 21", as SoaP was just a working title. Jackson refused to be in the film if they changed the name. "I signed on for Snakes on a Plane!"

2) The concept: Snakes on a Plane! How can this lose? The idea of Sam Jackson saying "I want the MF snakes of the MFing Plane!" is sheer greatness. It is so universally recognized as being greatness that the movie reshot scenes to include more violence, more nudity, and more language, including the above-mentioned line.

This movie's following has really demonstrated the power of the Internet. It should have been a total flop. It will be a cult classic because of the Internet. Book it.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #264
sike
The Preacha

thanks.....

you nerd

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #265
Five-ofan
Guru

My biggest problem with the entire X men movie series was the complete and utter overpowering of wolverine. I liked the guy in the comics and the cartoon but come on. He could heal quickly, not instantaneously. I know he has a huge following but come on. Also I hated rogue not having the miss marvel powers. I wish they had let bobby truly be iceman before this movie(if you havent seen it you will figure it out when you do, if you have im pretty sure you know what i mean) The second biggest problem with the whole series though is that the coolest or second coolest(i love Colossus) Xman never makes an appearance. If you ever read the comics or watched the show you know who i am talking about. If not then theres no point telling you. Overall i thought the first one did a good job setting up what should have been a great series, the second one was just flat out awesome and the third one is terrible relative to what it could/should have been.

On a positive note kelsey grammar did a GREAT job in this movie.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-30-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #266
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

you're probably talking about gambit. i like him, too, but i just didn't see him fitting into these three movies. especially because one of his major things is that he's into rogue. doesn't make as much sense when rogue is so young.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #267
Five-ofan
Guru

I am talking about gambit. Like i said my biggest problem with the series is wolverine. In the comics he got clawed by sabertooth and that took him around a week to heal from. Now any damage that happens to him heals instantantly no matter how bad it is? I like jackman and i like the wolverine character but the way he was written in these movies was horrendous.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #268
sike
The Preacha

I love Remy/Gambit as much as any hardcore fan, but I did not have a huge beef with him being left out.

Grammer as Beast is perfect. He IS hank McCoy.

Last edited by sike; 05-30-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #269
VinceYoung10

VinceYoung10 will become famous soon enough

Watched The Great Escape last night. Great cast and a great movie.

Now I'm watching the Office Season 1. Best comedy on T.V.
VinceYoung10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #270
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

so i saw X3 last night. i tried to lower my expectations, but it didn't help.

this movie, as an ex-x-men reader (ha ha, ex-x-men) was borderline TERRIBLE.

SPOILERS BELOW

the only redeeming aspect was beast. that's it.

not enough action. when there were fight scenes, they finished so quickly. and then the end scene, with all the mutants fighting... people were just throwing punches (even storm, until the last lightning blast). no one was actually using powers (well, except that one guy that regenerated his arms). this is where having cyclops would have helped. his powers look awesome on-screen. otherwise, it was just hand-to-hand combat, with beast, wolverine, and colossus, which could have been good if we actually freakin' saw colossus! that dude could be my favortie x-man ever, and he gets like zero screen-time in armored form. i did like the shot of him carrying the tv. ok, so this movie had two redeeming things.

also, much of the "fighting" in the movie was "mind-battle", which does not count as action. ooooo! look! things are flying around! how cool! uh, no.

halle berry is a joke. storm has been an absolute joke in all 3 movies, completely because of berry. and apparently, she wanted more screen time here, and she got it. oooh! storm can spin in circles!

absolutely unnecessary profanity. was there profanity in the first two? i honestly don't remember, but here, it stuck out like a sore thumb. like when juggernaut said "i'm the juggernaut, bitch!" that was laughable. HORRIBLE writing. i don't expect GREAT writing, but at least make it adequate.

anytime the president was on screen, i cringed. HORRIBLE acting.

so, it's not enough to kill one of the main characters in x-men history. let's kill THREE! dumb, dumb move. just horrible.

SPOILERS OVER

i'm literally sad that i went to see this movie. there was actually promise after X2, too bad singer didn't want to do a third.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #271
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Recently watched Antonioni's "Blowup." Couldn't really get into it. It had some outstanding shots of 60's London (and a really cool Yardbirds concert sequence), but something about it rubbed me the wrong way.

I also watched "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." This is a German Expressionist silent film from the 1920's. It is considered by some to be the first horror movie. It had amazing set designs, some legitimately creepy moments, and an awesome twist ending. I loved it.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #272
AgulaDX

AgulaDX is an unknown quantity at this point

You all have some great movie selections, a wide range to boot!

X-3 was entertaining and the ending could be explained logically, but yeah it was an ending less than desirable. But it looks like there is certainly going to be a 4th X-Men movie, after watching the alternate ending after the credits.
AgulaDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #273
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Just got back to Shanghai and picked up some DVDs...

V For Vendetta
Good Night, And Good Luck
The Producers
Blade 3: Trinity (this movie both sucked and blew)
Fun With Dick And Jane

At a dollar a movie, who's to complain?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #274
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I watched "50 First Dates" this past week.

It was ok, ok plot with a good number of LOL parts. Adam Sandler's in it so you know what I'm talking about.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #275
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Orange,

Good Night, and Good Luck was sooooo good.

V for Vendetta is also a pretty good popcorn flick.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #276
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

the only good thing about Blade:Trinity was Ryan Reynolds. love that guy.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #277
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Very funny guy. If you like his work, you might wanna check out a little movie called Waiting if you haven't already.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #278
The Clincher

The Clincher is on a distinguished road

I got the (new) Battlestar Galactica miniseries on DVD. I'm addicted now, and I'm going to have to buy the 1st season on DVD. Mmmm, Tricia Helfer mmmm
The Clincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #279
Five-ofan
Guru

I hated waiting. It was just terrible basically though i did like reynolds in it. I watched mr and mrs smith last night. Pretty entertaining. Doesnt try to be more than it is. Not amazing cinema or anything but an entertaining flick.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 06-05-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #280
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i didn't see waiting because i HATE luis guzman. with a passion.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?