Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washington Wizards

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3467806

Wizards close on 4-year, $50 million extension for Jamison

The Washington Wizards appear to be getting a jump on their offseason business.

A contract extension with Antawn Jamison that would keep the veteran forward off the free-agent market is "imminent," according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Wizards and Jamison would soon finalize terms on a four-year extension believed to be worth around $50 million, mere hours before Jamison was to become an unrestricted free agent.

Free agency in the NBA begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and Jamison was expected to draw serious interest from the Philadelphia 76ers, one of the few teams -- along with the Memphis Grizzlies and the Los Angeles Clippers -- to have salary-cap room this summer to bid for top players. A deal must be completed before midnight or the Wizards would be forced to wait until July 9 to re-sign Jamison when the league's moratorium on signings and trades is lifted. That could also expose Jamison to interest from other teams.
Although he just turned 32, Jamison is coming off his best season as a pro. He averaged 21.4 points and a career-best 10.2 rebounds in 79 games, earning a spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team and helping the Wizards (43-39) reach the playoffs as a No. 5 seed despite injuries that limited franchise guard Gilbert Arenas to 13 games and fellow All-Star forward Caron Butler to 58 games.

Washington's first-round loss to Cleveland in six games was its third consecutive playoff elimination inflicted by the Cavaliers, but the Wizards believe that they can compete with the East's elite if the Arenas-Butler-Jamison core could find some sustained health. The Wizards did post a 3-1 record last season against the eventual champions from Boston, with no other team in the league beating the Celtics more than twice during the regular season.

Securing Jamison's signature would enable the Wizards to focus on re-signing Arenas, who has opted out of next season's $12.8 million salary to become a free agent despite the knee problems that have plagued him for more than a year. Arenas maintains that he intends to represent himself this summer as he seeks a new six-year contract in excess of $100 million.

Jamison earned $16.4 million last season in the final year of max extension he received from the Golden State Warriors back in August 2001. Although he's taking a healthy pay cut in terms of annual average salary, Jamison has maintained for months that he hoped to re-sign with Washington after four successful years with the Wizards following a one-season stint with the Dallas Mavericks in 2003-04, which earned him NBA Sixth Man Award honors.

"This organization has believed in me from Day 1. ... I definitely know they want me to stay and I want to stay," Jamison told ESPN.com in December.

Jamison also spoke fondly at the time of his role as Washington's elder statesman, saying: "You know what? I've been in a lot of situations before. I've been the young fella, I've been the guy who's trying to learn how to be a leader, I've been the guy coming off the bench as a sixth man. And now all of a sudden I'm the old head. It's been 10 years and it's gone by fast. But I'm really enjoying this."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

----

Agent0 said he wouldn't return to the Wizards unless Jamison got re-signed. Well then, here you go. I was looking at a 8-10 per year deal for Jamison (similar to what Maggette is going to get in LA or Orlando). But, Jamison was one of the few last year who averaged a legit double double, so good for him.

Gilbert may be next to re-join with Washington. But, a part of me feels that Gilbert will not be a Wizard next year.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 06-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So, scratch Agent Zero off the FA list too?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Jamison is one of the few ex-Mavs that I really miss.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Jamison and Nashty for me =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

man imagine the team we could have had...

nash
howard
jamison
dirk
damp

wow, how come donnie is still here?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one8976

nash
howard
jamison
dirk
damp

That would be.... BY FAR the worst defensive team in the league. Maybe ever.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one8976

nash
howard
jamison
dirk
damp

To be fair, Nash & Jamison were never as good with us as they were after they left... Who's to say that a different system/role isn't at least partially responsible for their level of success?

You also have to consider the intangibles on our end:

Did Dirk become a better player when Steve Nash left because he had to compensate for the loss by stepping up aspects of his game? What about his role as a team leader? Could Dirk have blossomed into a better Robin than Scottie Pippen, or did it take becoming Batman for him to reach this level? (and even more so, could a pre-MVP Nash fill the role of Batman?)

What about J-Ho? With Dirk, Nash, and Jamison on the team, what room would there be for him? Josh hated being demoted to Batgirl after the Kidd trade, so what makes you think he'd be satisfied in the role of Alfred?

Who knows?

Damp would still have a sh!t contract, so this never could have become a reality (not to mention the whole Cuban/Nellie/Avery thing...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-30-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

smart! Wizards!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's their big or last stand. With the money they are committing, it's tougher to put a lot of pieces around their 3 stars. The 3 guys are very good, but health is obviously the issue. If they can stay healthy or be healthy at the right time...they can definitely compete.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
It's their big or last stand. With the money they are committing, it's tougher to put a lot of pieces around their 3 stars. The 3 guys are very good, but health is obviously the issue. If they can stay healthy or be healthy at the right time...they can definitely compete.
Houston Rockets of the East?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Injuries killing them, and can't get out the first round...
check, check

You are correct sir!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
That would be.... BY FAR the worst defensive team in the league. Maybe ever.
truth

Wednesday morning, Barnes was home (apparently with his kids) when he read the quote and responded on twitter.

"Morning yall up early w/ the babies watchn Dora. Seems Lamar can't keep my name out his mouth maby I need 2 put my sons (expletive) diaper n it"
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote