Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
41N

41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light
Default who is good enough for our aims?

hi guys,
during the game last night i asked myself which players we should keep for the playoffs and which players are simply not good enough for our aims. here is my impression (i'm sorry for my bad english):

keep

roddy - in my opinion he should be our first pg from the bench. his defense is very good, his j has some range, he's our only player who consistently penetrates the paint, he isn't a ball hog + he's our only young player. yes, he makes some mistakes but not as many as jj...

gooden - he's a hustler, brings energy from the bench. i never thought that i would be satisfied with his game but he's a good hard worker who would be the perfect player from the bench if his baketball iq would be higher. in addition he's our only player who can defend small centers (like nene)...

jkidd - his toe! i can't believe how many threes he missed by standing on the line. but ok, he runs our offense, makes clutch plays, other players better and he can't handle fast pg's (fortunately he's strong enough for sg's), overall a leader who should get ~30 minutes per game...

matrix - our only player who plays defense consistently, no-brainer, but he should run the pick&roll with kidd more often (carlisles fault) and make the easy layups...

dirk - ...

jet - the hardest desicion, but i think as a 3rd scorer he would be an extremely effective player. he's just too streaky for a second option and he feels the weight if the j isn't falling. even if he found his place in the starting lineup, i think he would kill other teams from the bench. defensively he needs a strong partner in the backcourt (roddy)...

timmy - also a streaky player, but in my opinion he should get his 10 minutes every night. if his shot is falling, give him more minutes, if not, take a seat on the bench. his defense is decent, i like how he doesn't allow easy buckets...

go

jj - in the nba are so much veteran pg's that would help us more than jj does now. i understand that carlisle like his energy from the bench but he's extremely inconsistent + he makes tons of mistakes. just because he flops here and there a charge, his defense looks not as awful as it looks for mavs-fans. even if he would score 30 points per game, his opponent would score 50...

carroll - got his shot at the start of the season, doesn't deserve a seat at the aac...

damp - he was the biggest surprise in the first months but his injury kills him. clearly we can't give him up until summer but i just hope he gets back on track because he's the only big man in our roster...

jho - biggest disappointment, enough said...

eddie - i like him, but not good enough...

ross - we acquired him as a defensive stopper but i only see average defense from him, his offense isn't existent...

singleton - hustle, thats all...

conclusion

we need a sg AND a sf to be a contender. one of those players must be the second scoring option and the other must be a defensive stopper who can guard pg's. for the next season, i hope the dustchip will bring us a new starting center...

ok, thats all, i'm interested in your opinions!
cya 41N
41N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Things to remember.
Dirk is not a last line of defense, so whomever you get to improve you frontline, he needs to be an efficient inside scorer and a stalwart on defense.
Kidd has lost lots of lateral speed. Whomever you get to play the SG, needs to be able to slash, create his own shot, and slide over to play d against the quick PG's.

Matrix plays very good D, and you don't have to run the offense through him.

Terry is a role player -- he is a backup PG and a zone buster -- and needs to be treated as such.

Damp is a very good defensive center, and would be nice as a backup center.

All the rest are fairly easily replaced IMO. I think they should keep Roddy and develop him.

----------------------------------------

Whether you can move some players to get a true SG, and a Frontline player that can score inside and be the last line of defense I have no idea.

Iggy/Brand makes the most sense to me -- but that is only if Brand is healthy now, and WOW that is lots of money.

Moving Dirk to the 5 and bringing in a 4 that plays awesome D, and posts inside is not the worse idea in the world though (as long as he can be the last line of defense).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Quote:
keep

roddy - in my opinion he should be our first pg from the bench. his defense is very good, his j has some range, he's our only player who consistently penetrates the paint, he isn't a ball hog + he's our only young player. yes, he makes some mistakes but not as many as jj...

gooden - he's a hustler, brings energy from the bench. i never thought that i would be satisfied with his game but he's a good hard worker who would be the perfect player from the bench if his baketball iq would be higher. in addition he's our only player who can defend small centers (like nene)...

jkidd - his toe! i can't believe how many threes he missed by standing on the line. but ok, he runs our offense, makes clutch plays, other players better and he can't handle fast pg's (fortunately he's strong enough for sg's), overall a leader who should get ~30 minutes per game...

matrix - our only player who plays defense consistently, no-brainer, but he should run the pick&roll with kidd more often (carlisles fault) and make the easy layups...

dirk - ...

jet - the hardest desicion, but i think as a 3rd scorer he would be an extremely effective player. he's just too streaky for a second option and he feels the weight if the j isn't falling. even if he found his place in the starting lineup, i think he would kill other teams from the bench. defensively he needs a strong partner in the backcourt (roddy)...

timmy - also a streaky player, but in my opinion he should get his 10 minutes every night. if his shot is falling, give him more minutes, if not, take a seat on the bench. his defense is decent, i like how he doesn't allow easy buckets...

go

jj - in the nba are so much veteran pg's that would help us more than jj does now. i understand that carlisle like his energy from the bench but he's extremely inconsistent + he makes tons of mistakes. just because he flops here and there a charge, his defense looks not as awful as it looks for mavs-fans. even if he would score 30 points per game, his opponent would score 50...

carroll - got his shot at the start of the season, doesn't deserve a seat at the aac...

damp - he was the biggest surprise in the first months but his injury kills him. clearly we can't give him up until summer but i just hope he gets back on track because he's the only big man in our roster...

jho - biggest disappointment, enough said...

eddie - i like him, but not good enough...

ross - we acquired him as a defensive stopper but i only see average defense from him, his offense isn't existent...

singleton - hustle, thats all...
I agree with most of this ... but I think if we are going to trade for somebody who can impact us before the trade deadline, we have to include Gooden.

I am a supporter of the Josh/Gooden/Barea/Carroll for Iggy/Dalembert type of deal. Dalembert's contract expires in 2011, so it is not a bad deal at all. Plus, Dalembert can start for us. We don't lose any depth really ... Roddy will benefit from Barea's minutes being hone.

I think you are being a little hard on Ross and Singleton ... they are getting paid about a million each. They are just paid to sit on the bench, and only come out for emergencies as 11th and 12th men on the roster.

Najera has a non-guaranteed contract next year ( I believe) which makes him packable with Dampier in terms of salary cap relief for a potential S&T type deal. Since we are on the topic ... I don't know what our chances are in getting a max contract player. If we do get one, we have to consider what to use our MLE for as well. With so many free agents this off-season, I feel that we can get a great asset for the MLE. For example, if we hypothetically get LeBron, then I think somebody like Brendan Haywood would be great to get for the MLE ... proven rebounder and shot blocker and for once we would be solidified at the center position with him and Dalembert.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41N View Post
I think you're wrong about Ross' defense. His defense impresses me every time I see him in the court, and I wish he'd get more playing time. But you're right about his offense being non-existent.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I think you're wrong about Ross' defense. His defense impresses me every time I see him in the court, and I wish he'd get more playing time. But you're right about his offense being non-existent.
From what I've seen, and I've watched virtually every game, Ross is very comparable to A Wright, only Ross gets far less playing time and responsibility.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
41N

41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light

ross is one of the roleplayers who i really observe when he gets on the court and in my opinion he tries too hard to be a defensive stopper. his effort is exemplary but the opponents realise and take advantage of that. his defense is way too pesky, smart sg/sf's draw fouls or let him fly with some pump fakes. his weight isn't a big problem but he gets here and there overpowered by strong opponents...
he COULD be our bowen but for that he needs to add cleverness, hidden dirty fouls and a corner-three to his repertoire...

don't get me wrong, he's good enough for the 10th/11th spot on our roster but you can't expect consistent productivity from him and thats what players from the bench should bring to the table if you want to be a contender...
cya 41N
41N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wat