Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 13 men trapped in West Virginia mine blast

Breaking news today....very sad. It doesn't sound too good so all prayers are needed.

God be with them and their families.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

This is very sad. With all of our technology we still cannot reach these men. And with all of our technology we still haven't a peep from below.

I hope you are all praying for these porr souls and their families.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

any news?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

still trapped, but feared dead.

Although Gordo is a bit over-the-top at times..... He made a good point this morning. If they can send a "robot" down to test the air quality... why not send down a tube with oxygen?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

reports are saying that there is plenty of oxygen, just too much CO and they did send a camera down but they didnt see anyone, so they were unable to actually get to the miners.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
still trapped, but feared dead.

Although Gordo is a bit over-the-top at times..... He made a good point this morning. If they can send a "robot" down to test the air quality... why not send down a tube with oxygen?

A couple of known problems along these lines. Oxygen rich environments are explosive. Since there is not a known cause this would be dangerous. Also, oxygen level tests show that O2 levels are satisfactory. The problem is not more O2, but too much CO. If the CO levels were as high as we fear, the men will have passed out and died in their sleep.

Interesting point....this was a flash explosion. There is no documented structural damage (i.e. collapses to clear). The rescue teams are proceeding slowly because they have to test the air as they proceed. Apparently, the rescue teams are believed to be able to walk all the way into the back of the mine. I fear we will find these men dead as a result of toxic CO exposure. Their skin will likely be reddened which is a tell tale sign. It will have been a fairly peaceful passing if this is the case which is the only comforting thing at this point (unless they were injured from the percussion of the explosion).

I still haven't lost hope of a miracle, but it doesn't look too good.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

One body has been found at 1150 feet into the 1300 foot channel. The man truck used to carry the miners was found approximately 70 feet past the first body. It appears that the remaining 12 all left the truck under their own power but they have not been found yet. There is high CO in this area as was feared.

This is horrifically saddening. My prayers go out to the family of the first miner and to the other families who cling to fading hope.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-03-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Well....the good news I suppose is that the man truck which transports the men into the mine has been reported to be not damaged from the blast. This could indicate that these men got off and walked away to seek a safer area.

Continue to pray.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

THEY FOUND 12 MEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise the Lord!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I still pray for the family of the deceased.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-03-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

They are attempting to pull the 12 to safety now......
Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

amazing that they got any of them alive. That was a badddd situation. I bet they have a story to tell.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm greatful that they are alive..definitely a welcome surprise...I just wish I would have found out about it in the morning instead of tonight. Now I'll be glued to the tube all night.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

CNN just interviewed the neice of the man who died. She was remarkably solid and was happy for the other families. She is going with the governor of WV to identify her uncle. I have tears in my eyes. She was amazing.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'm greatful that they are alive..definitely a welcome surprise...I just wish I would have found out about it in the morning instead of tonight. Now I'll be glued to the tube all night.

Me too but it is a wonderful feeling.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

This is so sad. CNN was interviewing a family earlier today and told the story of a man who insisted that his son not enter the mining industry. His name was Helms. His son was essentially forced into other careers. During a CNN interview earlier tonight his son credited him with making him enter a new career. The son ended his interview by saying, "I only want to see my dad again".

It was just confirmed that Mr. Helms was the fatality. God bless the Helms family. I feel awful for this family and this young man.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Breaking news:

The miners will be able to walk out of the mine and will walk across the street from the mine opening to the church where their families are and will reunite with their families.

You simply MUST go to your televisions and see this miracle. God was with these men and this will be a goosebump inspiring moment.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Great news. I'm watching the CNN coverage still.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I've been switching back and forth from CNN and FoxNews. So far FoxNews has scooped CNN on every breaking news but the CNN follow up coverage is better.

Fox seemed to drop the ball on getting their satellite there in a timely manner.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

WHAT?

How stupid is CNN? They are running a rerun of Nancy Grace's earlier show which makes it seem like the 12 guys are still in the mine.....WTF????

They are running a headline "13 miners still trapped"

What a colossal screw up.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-04-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:59 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's shocking how little coverage there is of this...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Ambulances are carrying some of the guys to the hospital. Apparently one of them came out unconscious.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 AM   #22
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I didn't think they'd find the guys, but its good to hear all but one came out alive. Earlier today I had only heard that one was found dead, which made the outlook for the rest seem bleak.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #23
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Unf*cking believable. How can they let the families think that thier loved ones were alive for that long when they knew the truth twenty minutes later. They let the news report it for hours.

Last edited by FreshJive; 01-04-2006 at 03:35 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #24
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I shudder when I think of the misfortune and misguided elation that all parties involved with this tragedy. I'll be saying prayers for he who made it and may those who didn't to rest in peace. This is terribly sad, and made worse through, what ostensibly looks like incorrect reporting.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

I can't believe this.

I have no words at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #26
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw this. This is so horrifying. The last thing I saw before I flipped off the tv last night was everyone celebrating and cheering. This is incredibly shocking.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #27
Drbio
Banned

I stayed up to 3am watching and waiting to see those men walk back to their loved ones. I saw an ambulance take one man to the hospital and thought one must have not been medically cleared. I finally went to sleep thinking "thank God they are safe" and that the medical personnel were checking them out to make sure they were safe. I woke up this morning anticipating that I would see footage of a glorious reunion.

I am just numb. I've been reading all morning the accounts. I can't say I am impressed with the company response, but I do understand that they didn't want to go back and say, "Wait, some of the 12 are dead" without understanding the facts. They had no idea how many survived until they were brought out. It is still a colossal error in communication but somewhat understandable. But to let those poor families celebrate for three hours and then deliver the devastating news is horrible.

I am just numb.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-04-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #28
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I just woke to the news about an hour ago. Like most, I went to bed thankful that those were found alive. I can't imagine what those family members must be going through. My prayers go out to them.

I know errors happen everyday but how can you have this type of miscommunication?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #29
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

wow...how do you screw that up? RIP
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

what an amazing story....wonder how long it takes to become a TVmovie...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #31
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

The news media are a bunch of whores. Ratings-hungry, Emmy-hungry whores....
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #32
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Last night I cried in relief thinking that so many had survived.

Then to wake up to the truth this morning... all I could do was cry for those family members. I cannot imagine....
Old 01-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #33
sike
The Preacha

how sad this story ended.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 AM   #34
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury_rev
The news media are a bunch of whores. Ratings-hungry, Emmy-hungry whores....
I honestly don't see how the news media is at fault in this situation. The governor made an announcement. The families said, and believed, they were alive.

The media reported what happened.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #35
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

One of the miners trapped in the Sago Mine wrote a farewell note on the back of an insurance application.

"Tell all I see them on the other side JR," the note reads. "It wasn't bad. I just went to sleep. I love you."

The note was found with the body of 51-year-old foreman Martin Toler Jr.

Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon them
A hymn, O God, becometh Thee in Zion
And a vow shall be paid to thee in Jerusalem
Hear my prayer
All flesh shall come before you

Amen