Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump View Post
Wow, you're completely ignorant of the charitable work done by churches on behalf of "outsiders"?

Let's see here, ever heard of the Salvation Army? You know, those obnoxious bell ringers at Wal Mart. What is that money used for? I wonder....

Let's go back to Hurricane Katrina. How many churches gave aid to the victims? How many churches sent people to Louisiana and Mississippi to help with the cleanup? Did you go help with the cleanup with your church? My brother and I did.

The LDS Church (mormons) have been involved in cleanup/relief efforts in just about every natural disaster in recent history (Katrina, that Tsunami a couple of years ago, etc).

How many Catholic charities are there in third world countries? I don't have the exact number, but there are many.
I think what I'm hearing from you is that churches respond well to emergencies. That's certainly well and good.

I think we were talking about non-emergency situations, like the homeless on the street. We were discussing the idea that conservatives care more for those homeless than the liberals do.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I think what I'm hearing from you is that churches respond well to emergencies. That's certainly well and good.

I think we were talking about non-emergency situations, like the homeless on the street. We were discussing the idea that conservatives care more for those homeless than the liberals do.
Again, the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities and many other groups are right there as the first line of help for the homeless. Both of those charities have homeless housing and programs and both work closely with Psychiatric health services in that population. You probably have no idea how bad things would be without these "faith based group" efforts.

why do you think GW Bush was so big into pushing for greater funding for "Faith based groups?" The asnwer is because they are very effective at helping people in real ways. They are generally more effective than government programs...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post

That was just my first reaction to your post. Read my other posts, where I provided links. Check out those web sites and do some research. This information isn't very hard to find.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote