Printer friendly version

ORLANDO MAGIC

2002-03 schedule: Preseason | Regular season
Orlando Magic wallpaper

Roster | Player profiles

Magic timeline

2001-02: Results | Season stats | Playoff stats | Photos

2000-01: Results | Photos | Playoffs | Playoff photos

ORLANDO -- The Orlando Magic have signed free agent forward Shawn Kemp, General Manager John Gabriel announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

Kemp (6'10", 280, 11/26/69) appeared in 75 regular season games with Portland last season, averaging 6.1 ppg. and 3.8 rpg. in 16.4 minpg. He also appeared in three postseason outings, averaging 3.7 ppg. and 2.7 rpg. in 11.7 minpg. during a first round series loss to the L.A. Lakers.

"Under the circumstances, and in addressing some of our needs, this is an opportunity for both the Magic and Shawn," said Gabriel. "We look forward to his return to the Eastern Conference. We feel we have a solid coaching staff, organization and the right leadership in place to make this a win-win situation."

Entering his 14th NBA season, Kemp was named to the All-NBA Second Team in 1994, 1995 and 1996. He has participated in the NBA All-Star Game six times during his career. Kemp led Seattle to the 1996 NBA Finals and still ranks among the Sonics’ all-time Top 10 in 11 different categories, including points (third), rebounds (second) and blocked shots (first). He was also a member of Dream Team II, helping the USA capture the gold medal at the 1994 World Basketball Championship in Toronto.

"I know the history here, but I’m a believer in giving people opportunities," said Magic Head Coach Doc Rivers. "Shawn is a great passer, a heck of a rebounder and can still shoot. Is he a savior? No, but he has a chance at addressing some of our needs. I am willing to take that chance."

"This is a great opportunity for me," said Kemp. "I’ve always felt that I have had a great relationship with Doc and look forward to playing with the guys."

Originally selected in the first round (17th overall) of the 1989 NBA Draft by Seattle, Kemp has played in 972 career games with Seattle, Cleveland and Portland, averaging 15.2 ppg., 8.6 rpg., 1.7 apg., 1.28 blkpg. and 1.15 stlpg. in 28.5 minpg. He has also appeared in 81 career playoff outings, averaging 18.5 ppg., 10.3 rpg., 2.0 apg., 1.69 blkpg. and 1.22 stlpg. in 35.4 minpg.
Copyright © 2002, Orlando

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn I wish the Lakers could have got him if he was cheap.. Oh Well

Shaq
LakerMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Lol - beat me for good with this one ...

-> www.nba.com