Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future
Default Dallas Cowboys 2013

Well, it started out with a dud last night. Not a sexy pick but certainly a need we had to address. Frederick should start at one of the interior spots right away. However, taking him that high is very questionable, need-based or not.

Trading back was the best move, but the return for letting the 49ers move up 13 picks was flat-out awful. With as many picks as they have accumulated, one would certainly go for more in that trade.

Cowboys have to hit on these day two picks, and there is plenty of talent to be had. Let's hope they can piece together a good draft and ride into OTA's and the season!
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sure Frederick will get injured in training camp and miss the entire season before getting cut next year while the guys we passed on will go on to have All-Pro careers... God hates Jerry Jones.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Oh, I'm sure Frederick will get injured in training camp and miss the entire season before getting cut next year while the guys we passed on will go on to have All-Pro careers... God hates Jerry Jones.
Probably didn't help to build his personal shrine on bulldozed homes.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Possible, but he can't be any more brittle than Costa and the rest of the carousel that was the interior O-line last year.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Everything I read on Frederick said he was a top 75 player. Couldn't they have waited til their 2nd round pick for him?

Oh good a 3rd string TE and a 4th string WR. Just what they needed from their 2nd and 3rd picks!

Last edited by Ninkobei; 04-26-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

In a vacuum, I like the list of selections. I remember thinking "I wish the Cowboys had Randle" while he gashed Texas.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Terrance Williams is not a 4th-string WR. I'm terribly biased, but I saw every college game he played in. He was a 2-star recruit coming out of HS and ended up 1st-team All American. He's big, strong, faster than his 40 time (he had no problem outrunning UT's 4.4 and 4.3 CBs), and is a great blocker. His hands can be inconsistent and he'll have to work on his route-running, but he'll make Miles expendable pretty soon. You don't come as far as he's come without being an exceptionally hard worker. (And considering how well the two rookie Baylor WRs did last year [Gordon and Wright], his numbers are not smoke-and-mirrors.)

I love the picks in round 3-6. Love Wilcox, love Williams, love Webb, love Randle, love Holloman. I would have rather taken Carradine at 31 and Frederick at 47, though. If that had been their draft I'd have been ecstatic with the end result.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 04-27-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I guess my biggest worry is the defensive line. O/D line were the two must-drafts this year and they end up with just one Olineman. WR, CB and TE would have been fine this year without spending such high picks on them. In fact you could say those are the Cowboys strongest positions.

Who is on the Dline? Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Spencer. aka two 250 pound linebackers and two barely 300 pound nose tackles. WHERE IS THE BEEF? What can you expect with the same group of guys that ranked 22nd in the league in rush defense last year? Probably the same.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 04-27-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
I guess my biggest worry is the defensive line. O/D line were the two must-drafts this year and they end up with just one Olineman. WR, CB and TE would have been fine this year without spending such high picks on them. In fact you could say those are the Cowboys strongest positions.

Who is on the Dline? Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Spencer. aka two 250 pound linebackers and two barely 300 pound nose tackles. WHERE IS THE BEEF? What can you expect with the same group of guys that ranked 22nd in the league in rush defense last year? Probably the same.
Well, it's a totally different defense this year, and you can cross your fingers that you'll have Lee and Carter healthy. There was a huge drop-off in the D once you lost those guys. Durant should also help, because that's his specialty.

On Thursday night I was on the record as supporting taking Floyd at 18, and I wanted a DT in either the first or second round. (I also think the Cowboys would have taken Kawann Short instead of Escobar had he lasted until 47.) You hope that Crawford will develop into a good swing player between DT and DE, but yes, the same problems that plagued them in the 3-4 might do so in the 4-3, and that's the lack of a proper 1-technique. That's not Floyd and that's not Short. It's not Hatcher and it's not Ratliff. It WAS Josh Brent, unfortunately. It would have been Star Lotuleilei had he made it that far.

As for the OL, you're replacing Costa with Frederick, which BETTER be an upgrade. I think it's an assumption that there's a post-June 1 agreement in place for either Tyson Clabo or Eric Winston to come play RT, either of which would be a huge upgrade over Free. Livings is... passable, maybe, at LG. Right guard is still an issue. Hopefully Ronald Leary takes that next step and can come in and play, with Costa and Bernie backing up the guard spots.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 04-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice to read that someone has some positive things to say about the Cowboys draft...personally I was pretty bummed by the first 2 picks.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 04-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the biggest issue that I have.. It's not that they didn't draft some pretty good players.. it's that they constantly reached or drafted a position when comparable players at the same position would have been available a round or two later. Why take a WR in the draft when you can take some other position and get a similar WR later in the draft?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Frederick vows not to shave until Cowboys have a winning record?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
saclare
Platinum Member

Been away for the weekend, but I REALLY liked the later picks in the draft. It's true that we didn't grab some DL help, but we got some damn good players where we did.

The first two picks were mind bending, but two guys I think will be productive. It's just they were picked way above slot and had everyone wondering why.

Terrence Williams was huge value in the 3rd. Great size and production from a WR and should offer plenty of insurance should Dez or Austin go down, which seems to be at least a few times a year. Remember, Cowboys did not have a sure-fire answer to the 3rd WR spot, and now they have one. Also, people forget that when Laurent Robinson emerged, Austin lined up in the slot quite often, and both players were productive. I see the same thing happening, perhaps with role reversals.

It seems Wilcox was the safety the Cowboys really liked, so I have to trust the scouts. He was their target after Cyprien and they were ecstatic when the Steelers didn't take him. He only has one season of ball under him at safety, but I'll take that as a positive. He was productive and get only get better. Also, position of need and Monte Kiffin got his guy.

Webb is another guy who Kiffin simply wanted. He was on air stating that this was a pick for depth and pone they believe will solidfy the secondary, at least at the corners. I should add, that listening to Webb and Wilcox, they seem like bright kids with a team-first additude that should make for excellent teammates as well.

Randle was an awesome get in the 5th. Gone are the days of Felix and Dunbar spelling Murray. This kid will impress with his speed and ability to catch out of the backfield. They have been comparing him to be a shiftier Murray with durability and production.

My vote for the Cowboy's version of a "steal" is Holloman. The guy is converted player, playing linebacker after switching from safety. He will add some size and knowledge to the position as he goes and adds young depth to the linebacking core. Had it not been for a DWI at 19, I think he could have been taken in the 3rd round. At the very least, the Boys should get a plus special teamer and a linebacker with plus pass coverage that only took a 6th rounder to get.

Again, the later picks salvaged this draft. I thought the first day and the second round were not very good, but again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised with both. I think Frederick can start right away at C or OG and improve the line (he was also a favorite of Callahan's, let's not forget). Escobar has drawn so wicked comparisons but is a TE who can't block and I thoguht the emergence of Hanna made that position of strength with Witten.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

So we basically got lots of good guys, lots of good spin. Everyone at Valley Ranch is happy.

they still don't have the offensive line fixed. they still don't have the defensive line fixed.

They will still lose because the trenches are porous, and when the injuries happen they will have a built in excuse.

Welcome to the world of the Dallas Cowboys.

** Typical Jerry Draft -- Got three all everything wide receivers, two all everything TE's, and Two excellent running backs with an all-pro QB who is laying flat on his back because the line had major holes in it. Then when the defense needs a stop -- teams just gut them because they have no meat in the middle.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 04-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
they still don't have the offensive line fixed. they still don't have the defensive line fixed.

They will still lose because the trenches are porous, and when the injuries happen they will have a built in excuse.
To be fair, when you have three or four crappy offensive linemen and no salary cap room, it's tough to believe that they'll be able to fix the line in one offseason.

But you did draft a new center, whose intelligence (he graduated with a degree in engineering!) will hopefully help create the cohesion and security necessary. Livings is at least passable at left guard. And I think most people now assume that there's a wink-wink deal in place June 1st for Tyson Clabo or Eric Winston to come play right tackle.

So that's two new offensive linemen. Right guard would be the only area of massive concern, and you have a ton of competition right now for that spot, from Costa, Bernadeau, Arkin, and Leary. Hopefully one of them will step up.

The only pick I take huge issue with is Escobar, because he's the same type of player as Hanna (all catch, no-block). The players around there you could have taken were Jonathan Hankins, who a lot of people saw as consistently struggling with weight issues. Unless you wanted to reach for Bennie Logan (who I wouldn't have had a problem with), there wasn't a DT available there. But Hankins is the only 1-tech around there, as Logan is a Hatcher/Ratliff 3-tech.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 04-30-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
To be fair, when you have three or four crappy offensive linemen and no salary cap room, it's tough to believe that they'll be able to fix the line in one offseason.

But you did draft a new center, whose intelligence (he graduated with a degree in engineering!) will hopefully help create the cohesion and security necessary. Livings is at least passable at left guard. And I think most people now assume that there's a wink-wink deal in place June 1st for Tyson Clabo or Eric Winston to come play right tackle.

So that's two new offensive linemen. Right guard would be the only area of massive concern, and you have a ton of competition right now for that spot, from Costa, Bernadeau, Arkin, and Leary. Hopefully one of them will step up.

The only pick I take huge issue with is Escobar, because he's the same type of player as Hanna (all catch, no-block). The players around there you could have taken were Jonathan Hankins, who a lot of people saw as consistently struggling with weight issues. Unless you wanted to reach for Bennie Logan (who I wouldn't have had a problem with), there wasn't a DT available there. But Hankins is the only 1-tech around there, as Logan is a Hatcher/Ratliff 3-tech.
To be fair......Dallas should have taken Floyd at 18, then Frederick at 47 and then Jessee Williams, or John Jenkins, or Barrett Jones, or Dallas Thomas, or Brian Winters or Brian Schwenke, or pick the lineman.

Instead we have the Center that could have been taken a round later, no DT, and a 3rd string TE, and a WR that might end up being a 3rd or 4th WR.

Floyd starts and rotates with Ratliff and Hatcher.
The OL will probably be starting mid season.
a 1 tech ---- that can hold the line in short yardage at least.

just typical Jerry draft

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
To be fair......Dallas should have taken Floyd at 18, then Frederick at 47 and then Jessee Williams, or John Jenkins, or Barrett Jones, or Dallas Thomas, or Brian Winters or Brian Schwenke, or pick the lineman.

Instead we have the Center that could have been taken a round later, no DT, and a 3rd string TE, and a WR that might end up being a 3rd or 4th WR.

Floyd starts and rotates with Ratliff and Hatcher.
The OL will probably be starting mid season.
a 1 tech ---- that can hold the line in short yardage at least.

just typical Jerry draft
Floyd wouldn't start over Ratliff. Kiffin was on the Fan explaining that while he was a great player, we would have been drafting depth at 18 (not what you want out of a first round pick). Trust me, I was all over Floyd before listening to what your defensive coordinator has to say about it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm not sold to the notion that Frederick is set-in-stone as the center. The guy has flexibility to move to guard and I believe Costa will be a net positive to the line since he will be healthy for once. At guard, you then have Frederick, Bernadeau, Livings, and Arkin. I'd say that's not terrible depth on the interior line.

I'll reiterate, the first two picks of this draft were not great in terms of value and over reaching. However, I do think they will be positive contributors to the team. I'm not defending the FO here though. My guess is that they were trying like hell to trade out further but ran out of time and panic picked their guy. I think they are fully aware they could have gotten both players later than they did...

Edit: not to forget, they most likely are going to do something with Free, and I hope that is to cut him not only for the sake of saving some cap room, but also since there are serviceable veteran tackles out there to be had at a much cheaper price.

Last edited by saclare; 04-30-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

"After draft weekend, the position a player is taken is just a footnote."

Quote:
Cowboys Draft 2013: Attempting To Analyze The Weekend

Bob Sturm

Honestly, there is no question that is asked more of those of us who are blessed to cover the NFL than "How did you think the Cowboys did this weekend?" And, there is no question that EVERYONE is less equipped to answer.

Seriously.

Think about how few people that would be acquainted with the depth charts and situations of all 32 teams so that they can release grades relative to the rest of the league. Then, think of all of the people on the planet who would be familiar - and I mean really familiar - with the 254 players chosen in this draft. I think it is hard enough to zero in on the top 100 players and just the depth chart of the Dallas Cowboys. I spend a few hours a day for about 3 straight months trying to watch and absorb as much information as I can. That comes out to a ton of time spent watching college games and studying the players as best I can. And I had almost nothing on 4 of the 7 players the Cowboys selected over the weekend. And when I say almost nothing, I hadn't watched a single San Diego State game, talked to a single scout about Gavin Escobar, and honestly didn't know much about him except what I had read. And that was their 2nd round pick! Think about how little I had in my head or files about B.W. Webb.

I admit all of this to simply show a little honesty as a media member that hopefully has earned your trust over the years, and then tries to take that responsibility seriously. If there is anyone who claims they have done their homework on all 254 players and their homework to study the depth chart, cap situation, and football issues with all 32 teams - then they are wasting their time in the media. They should really be personnel experts in the NFL.

And yet, everywhere I look, here is another media guy grading all 32 teams! With what information? That makes no sense to me and I refuse to participate in what amounts to gathering military intelligence about the middle east by watching cable news. It is an insult to those media departments who employ a dozen guys who evaluate talent all day, every day, for 12 months a year to grade their performance based on 5 minutes of youtube highlights and whether or not they drafted a local player from a college I watch on Saturdays and maybe remember 5 of his college plays. I find that sort of guess work silly and think that you should try to avoid those who attempt to tell you who the "winners and losers" over the weekend are. They are surely taking wild guesses and are seldom willing to share their grading mis-steps from previous drafts. If getting a good grade from the media means taking guys they have heard of, then this is all a waste of time.

I attempt to not feed the monster. And yet, this is my job. To gather as much information as I can and to in some ways evaluate what the Cowboys did with their resources to try to improve their team in the quickest and most efficient way possible, which is by doing well on draft weekend.

So a bit further below, I throw caution to the wind and attempt to do what I just admitted is nearly impossible to accomplish properly:

=====

First, an overall positioning statement on how this whole thing works. I don't believe you can properly evaluate a pick without looking at things from a macro point of view. Like spending too much time on one play in a full game, to discuss one pick from one draft when you are attempting to construct a competitive team in a very competitive league is very difficult.

The fact is that the best-run organizations in football botch picks routinely. They all have horror stories of misevaluation because this is a very difficult process to choose young men and try to project the next decade of their lives. It is a very physical game that requires health and a complex game that requires development and progress through coaching and self-motivation. To simply assume that a player would turn out the same regardless of where he is drafted is silliness. If John Elway was traded on draft day of 1983 to the Cowboys, we have no idea what would have happened. We do know, though, that the Cowboys would not have picked first in 1989, so Troy Aikman goes to Green Bay. Without Jimmy Johnson but with Lindy Infante, do we really think that Aikman would have still won 3 Super Bowls?

Good teams botch picks and bad teams have good picks. It is all part of a batting average type of measurement where the good teams hit a better percentage. Just because Albert Pujols strikes out 3 times in one night doesn't mean he isn't the gold standard for hitting. And the same is true when the Patriots botch a pick. It happens. But, you can't botch too many.

Second, when you have too many holes you are in a situation where there are no wrong answers (any pick you make will address a need, most likely) and there are no right answers (no matter who you pick, there will still be some major needs that don't get addressed). This is the curse of the 2013 Cowboys draft. They had needs and needs and needs. They had too many holes and not enough plugs. They shocked the NFL with all of the street free agents that they signed mid-season who stepped right onto the roster and into the huddle because of their absurd lack of depth. They could not afford injuries in a sport that injuries are part of the deal.

So, when they entered this weekend, they were at a distinct disadvantage against the league for 2 reasons. 1) they had more needs than your average team and 2) they had fewer picks than your average team.

When you do look at those NFL Draft grades that I asked you to ignore, you will find that it starts with your pick load. The Ravens and 49ers are celebrated for their awesome draft. Well, they entered with the 2 most picks. Green Bay was congratulated for their draft. Well, they had 10 picks on Day 3 to use and trade with. Minnesota graded well - I should hope so with 3 1st Rounders. You will generally see that the teams with volume are going to hit the target more often.

And this is why the Cowboys operate from a distinct disadvantage. This is the macro view. They butchered several drafts in a row by most counts. 2006-2010 have very little left to show for it. We have discussed this at great length and if you compare them with the power teams in the league, you will see that the issue lies there - not with what they do in the 2012 or 2013 draft.

Imagine a car in a race that is 4 laps down before it finally gets its set-up right. It would make no sense to criticize them too hard for whatever happened after that. They were too far behind to recover. And that is where the franchise stands. Too many holes and no matter who they take, it is the wrong answer.

=====

There is an amazing story in Sports Illustrated a few issues back about Al Davis and the rebuilding of the Raiders franchise after his death. Reports inside include the idea that they did not employ a full-time groundskeeper or even have a draft war-room that was used. They simply did things Al's way and this led to them falling further and further behind the rest of the league as he got older and older.

They were unable to compete without a philosophy or a method for competing in a league that is unforgiving for the last decade when they never won more than 5 games after their Super Bowl 37 season. It was a league power that stopped being a league power once its leader no longer knew how to do it nor how to accept assistance.

Now, with their new General Manager Reggie McKenzie at the helm, they are attempting to dig out of their massive hole. He may or may not be able to do this job, but he is at least going to install some methodology that worked for him in Green Bay under Ted Thompson. Build a board through incredible work, trust your board, and follow the process closely without deviation.

With reports that the Cowboys did not follow this process over the weekend when the room disagreed about taking Sharrif Floyd at #18 or trading down to get #31 and #74, we are left with whispers that Jerry Jones stepped in and grabbed the steering wheel when his personnel department and coaching staff wished to do otherwise. They spent all year setting up their board and doing their work, but when the moment of truth arrived, the veto power from the man on the throne slammed down. And the personnel department shook its collective head. It is his team and he can do what he wants, but to go against your brain trust when that has found trouble in the past, well...

As I said on Friday, I think trading down is a solid idea for a team with too many issues to address. And the very real possibility that they received Travis Frederick and Terrance Williams for Sharrif Floyd or possibly, Tyler Eifert seems like pretty good business in one sense. But, if you employ a personnel department to evaluate the odds and the quality of the players involved, while you are off at the X Games or at a presidential library opening (or artwork releases or Papa Johns or negotiations with the NCAA or...), it would seem that you should be willing to trust their judgement. And if there wasn't a history of vetoes and over-rulings in the 1st Round of drafts of the past, it wouldn't be a big issue. But it has happened again and again. And it hasn't always been the wrong play (DeMarcus Ware over Shawne Merriman) and maybe that is why it continues to happen.

And although it would be hyperbole to compare Jerry Jones and Al Davis in some ways, it is not a stretch to assume that the only way either would ever relinquish power is when they no longer walk the earth.

This, of course, caused head shaking and disappointment when the personnel department couldn't believe that they had a chance at a special player that fell in their lap. The Cowboys loved Floyd and didn't believe he would get to them. So when he did, most thought this was an easy call.

Jerry did not. He traded back and then they decided to pull the trigger on the last remaining offensive lineman on their "top tier", even though most thought that was "too rich" to steal a phrase Stephen Jones used to describe LSU safety Eric Reid going at #18.

=====

DAY 2

The final 6 picks in the draft were full of curiosities as well. Taking Gavin Escobar is an interesting play and one that reminds us that Jason Garrett was ready and willing to take advantage of the entry of "12 Personnel" into the league back in 2008 and 2009. 12 personnel is the best way to balance up your offense between run and pass because it is a package that does not tip your intentions either way but keeps your weapons on the field (rather than using a fullback, you replace him with a pass catching tight end who can occupy the safeties down the middle of the field).

They tried and tried with Martellus Bennett to make the 2-Tight End attack lethal and despite Stephen chiming in that Bennett was "very productive" in his 4 years in Dallas, we know that it never came close to working. Bennett never had a 300 yard season in a Cowboys uniform. In fact, in 1 year in New York, he fell only 200 yards short of his 4-year total in Dallas. 12 Personnel was a flop here for 4 seasons, but clearly the conviction is still in the coach to try to do what other teams have done so well, and Escobar gives them a weapon that looks the part. He clearly ran a troubling 4.85 40 at the combine where 10 years earlier Jason Witten ran a 4.70 (and Bennett a 4.73 with James Hanna clocking a 4.45). But, we should remember that they were talking up the idea of taking Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame at #18 in the first place, so this was clearly an objective. Whether it should have been a higher objective than linemen is something that we should debate for quite a while (I was hoping for 900+ lbs of human in the first 3 picks and we certainly fell well short of that).

I didn't consider Tight End very far up on their list of needs, but they chose to bolster their offense with a play-maker who certainly would go up and win a ball in the air at San Diego State and was ultra productive. Obviously, 12 personnel does give defenses a real issue if done properly, and just because Bennett couldn't make it work does not mean the strategy won't work. It simply means they got it wrong. I certainly don't mind the player, but I do wonder if they could afford to spend lavishly on this sort of upgrade given that they continue to ignore the defensive line throughout the draft. With LSU's Bennie Logan and Penn State's Jordan Hill both on the Cowboys list of possibilities, I did find the strategy curious.

On the other hand, I have written at great length about the inefficiencies of the offense and the inability to run the ball under any circumstances. Not being able to run makes the pass defenses more problematic and the pass rush more fierce. But, to see them address center and 12 personnel like this has me hopeful that both of these moves are an indirect remedy for better balance and better running attacks.

To read more about the major issues with the Cowboys offense in 2012 that necessitates moves like the first two picks of their draft, please review this story - Garrett's Optimistic Appraisal of the offense forgets plenty of context and this story - 6 years of the Garrett Offense Tells Us Plenty that were published here back in February. I don't love going center-tight end with all of the other needs, but I understand the logic.

At #74 (the extra pick from the trade back) they snag Baylor WR Terrance Williams. Williams is electric and addresses the 3rd WR spot which is so vital around here because Miles Austin and Dez Bryant are likely to get banged up a bit, making #3 the #2 for a portion of the season. He is a home run hitter and a very good value in the 3rd Round. He also puts you in a spot where after 2014, he might be Austin's replacement or in a worst case scenario, he covers you if Dez Bryant's contract situation gets out of hand (which I doubt happens). This is a position of need and the Cowboys ran almost nothing but 11 personnel with 3 WRs for all of its production in 2012, so it is tough to argue with the player - but again, it did not address OL, DL, or Safety causing many to slap their foreheads in disgust.

At #80, they finally targeted one of their primary needs (at least as we have assumed) which is safety. But, in this particular case, it was not the most likely of the available safeties left, Fresno State's Phillip Thomas. Thomas had led the NCAA in interceptions and was a noted ball hawk. Nor was it noted strong safety, Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse. Instead, they went with Georgia Southern's JJ Wilcox. Wilcox obviously has incredible physical tools including a 4.53 40, but is perhaps most identified because he has played safety for just 1 college season.

Wilcox is still learning the position after running back and wide receiver earlier in college, but has no issues with confidence or self belief. He has tools and the Cowboys believe they can help him continue to figure out how to grow into being an NFL safety. They clearly saw Thomas and Thomas as guys without the same upside, and although project safeties give me great pause (Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, I am looking at you), I am excited to see what Wilcox and Matt Johnson can bring to a safety position that has not had legitimate young prospects in a while.

DAY 3

With just 3 picks on Day 3, the Cowboys had to ring the bell on 3 occasions. Obviously, I need to go see B.W. Webb's film at William and Mary before I get too carried away, but I am very excited to see his speed, his big plays as a special teams man, and another corner that might replace Orlando Scandrick at the end of this season as the 3rd corner. This pick #114, like a few others, seems to try to cover themselves for future financial cutbacks. Of course, they don't appear to have covered themselves very much at the spots when Anthony Spencer and Jason Hatcher are unrestricted next winter.

Webb is certainly tiny and with 0 interceptions last year, we need to see how he competes at the next level, but when looking for a corner, I always like to start with a guy who is under 4.5 and generates electricity when he has the ball. Webb looks the part so that is a nice start at least. We might wonder, much like in Round 2 when they passed on Eddie Lacy, Le'Veon Bell, and Montee Ball, if the Cowboys should have considered Johnathan Franklin to fill that 2nd Running Back void. They did not, until Round 5.

That is when at #151, the Cowboys targeted their RB. It was another Big 12 South product in the form of Joseph Randle from Oklahoma State. Certainly at 4.63, he is not a burner, but he appears to be a workhorse who also has the ability to catch the ball and go and at 204 might be able to share the load on blitz pickups. This need was further up my list than another corner, but to get Randle in Round 5 I believe is a pretty good achievement. They desperately needed to through this up the list of priorities with the durability issues of DeMarco Murray, so there can be no real dispute on this idea other than to wonder if they might have found a better player earlier.

Finally, their final pick was in the 6th round at #185. DeVonte Holloman from South Carolina is a linebacker who should do what most 6th rounders do and that is to supply exceptional work at special teams and depth in the lineup. This team clearly needed linebacker depth after last year's issues and finding Holloman seems reasonable. This deep in the draft you just take the most talented player left almost regardless of position, so until I learn more about him, it is tough to consider this at all as a place to 2nd guess.

=====

Again, to review what I said earlier, when you have old mistakes on top of older mistakes you have too many holes to fill. When that happens, you there are no wrong answers (they needed players at every spot they took and they each have a chance to play a major role) and there are no right answers (they took just 1 offensive lineman in the entire draft and maybe reached on him and they took no defensive linemen whatsoever).

I look forward to breaking down the college work of each of these players in the weeks to come and writing a personal review on each of them when I have digested enough of their games. In the meantime, I certainly understand the critiques but I am also interested in the additions. Even in the case of Travis Frederick, if he can finally give them solid center play, I don't think anyone will have a major issue with that decision going forward.

It has been said a number of times, after draft weekend, the position a player is taken is just a footnote. It makes no difference when the ball is snapped who went where and in what round. They all simply become NFL players and in this case Dallas Cowboys. Undrafted players and 1st rounders fight for the same spots and compete now regardless of how they got to this league. And from that standpoint, the Cowboys appear to be infused with 7 promising prospects who can all help this team win. There is plenty of room for 2nd guessing, but from where I sit, if I was the type to grade drafts, I am not sure I could have a major issue with the concepts behind most of these picks.

Now, we see if they can play.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Floyd wouldn't start over Ratliff. Kiffin was on the Fan explaining that while he was a great player, we would have been drafting depth at 18 (not what you want out of a first round pick). Trust me, I was all over Floyd before listening to what your defensive coordinator has to say about it.
So a guy that the board (that he had massive input into) has rated as the 7th best prospect wouldn't start over a 7th rounder who is over 30 and coming off injury plagued years.

That my friend sounds like massive spin to me.

Maybe I am wrong, but we will just have to see how they play this year to prove it to me.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
So a guy that the board (that he had massive input into) has rated as the 7th best prospect wouldn't start over a 7th rounder who is over 30 and coming off injury plagued years.

That my friend sounds like massive spin to me.

Maybe I am wrong, but we will just have to see how they play this year to prove it to me.
That or they rather accumulate more picks and go elsewhere since they have a very similar player in Ratliff. Maybe I am wrong to say he wouldn't start. But a heathy Ratliff is a damn good player.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
"After draft weekend, the position a player is taken is just a footnote."
I liked that article. Wish he would have done some homework on the players taken beforehand, to give us more insight and knowledge on them, as analysts do when they make his hated grades. I agree you can't grade a team when that team knows so much more than you do about their internal needs and evaluations of players. I think the Cowboys got who they wanted, and I'm sure they wish they addressed DL but it didn't fall that way according to them.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
That or they rather accumulate more picks and go elsewhere since they have a very similar player in Ratliff. Maybe I am wrong to say he wouldn't start. But a heathy Ratliff is a damn good player.
A 28 year old healthy Ratliff was a very good player. A pro-bowl type.

If they weren't going to draft him -- why did they put him on the board there though? I just don't understand their drafting philosophy.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
A 28 year old healthy Ratliff was a very good player. A pro-bowl type.

If they weren't going to draft him -- why did they put him on the board there though? I just don't understand their drafting philosophy.
Good question. It would be very interesting to see their actual board, instead of their interviews and hint and rumors about it. That way you could see how all the rounds would play out with hypotheticals.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

I think this has been a better draft by the Cowboys than the last ones.

Frederick and Escobar have been shit picks.

Should have taken a guy like Werner for DT/DE in the first round.

Rest was good especially Terrance Williams who will probably bench Miles.
Wilcox and Holloman have been great picks aswell. Rest was solid.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Interviews about Bill Parcell's impact on current players

Quote:
JASON WITTEN
Third round, 2003

"I broke my jaw my rookie year. I get out of the hospital on a Tuesday and I come in Wednesday morning to the meeting and we had treatment at 6:30 a.m. I come in there and my mouth is swollen. I’m obviously off that week’s game and he walks in at 6:45. It’s 15 minutes into treatment and there’s really nothing they can do other than give me an ice pack to help with the swelling. I’m just kind of there because I have to be there. Bill walks in and looks at Jim Maurer and Britt Brown, ‘Where’s Witten?’ and he made a beeline to me in the corner. I’m still on pain meds, the whole deal. I haven’t been out of surgery 24 hours and he’s like, ‘Listen to me. I’ve got the key to what’s going to get you back out there quickly. Now, I’ve been here with guys and I’ve seen guys go through this and the big thing is keeping weight on and your stamina up. You’ll be OK. I went to the store and I got you this … ' He pulled out two jars of baby food, sweet potatoes. And he was dead serious. He goes, ‘Go get this. There’s good calories, good fat. It’ll keep your weight on.’ And was completely serious about eating baby food. No, I didn’t eat it. But it was pretty cool to think he really believed that I could come back and play. And I did play, obviously, the next day. I still think he probably thinks I ate that baby food."
Bwahahaha

Is this ghost ball??
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Whenever I get upset at the Mavericks front office I just take a look at the Cowboys'. That usually makes me feel better until I realize that I am also a Cowboys fan.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

ESPN headline reveals interesting new management strategy by Jerry Jones... "Alex Albright to be waived/injured."

"Sorry, but the roster's full."

Is this ghost ball??
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It is so like the Cowboys to blow a game like this. Embarrassing.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Being a Raider fan, Jerry's Cowboys are slowly finding themselves down that same road where the players know who the boss is and that is Jerry. Coaches' will not be able to coach. Hopefully I'm wrong, but when the guy in the suit upstairs is running the show, it doesn't end well. Players become check collectors, free agents know it's a final contract. We over came a bit of it when Gruden was around, with Tim Brown.

Could Frederick have lasted into their 2nd pick, go with Reid at the 18? Al Davis reached a ton, losing a lot of trade value in the later years. Heyward Bey at 7, come on, drop into the 20's and you can still have him in addition to a few more picks. Between Romo, Murray, Smith, Bryant there are foundational cornerstones in place for the next 2-3 seasons, it's a matter of Jerry staying in the office.....something Al couldn't do at all.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Terrance Williams is not a 4th-string WR. I'm terribly biased, but I saw every college game he played in. He was a 2-star recruit coming out of HS and ended up 1st-team All American. He's big, strong, faster than his 40 time (he had no problem outrunning UT's 4.4 and 4.3 CBs), and is a great blocker. His hands can be inconsistent and he'll have to work on his route-running, but he'll make Miles expendable pretty soon. You don't come as far as he's come without being an exceptionally hard worker. (And considering how well the two rookie Baylor WRs did last year [Gordon and Wright], his numbers are not smoke-and-mirrors.)

I love the picks in round 3-6. Love Wilcox, love Williams, love Webb, love Randle, love Holloman. I would have rather taken Carradine at 31 and Frederick at 47, though. If that had been their draft I'd have been ecstatic with the end result.
This holds up well.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Destruct...
0!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Underdog

Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

damn.

that's all I have to say
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Someone care to explain? I watched til half... sqw they were up by a lot. Green Bay couldn't do anything. Thought it was in the bag. WTH happened?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Cowboys' defense made Matt Flynn look like Joe Montana, and the Packers won by 1.

You would think scoring 36 points would win you the game. But no, not these Cowboys.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #38
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

worst. defense. ever.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
This... All year, all decade.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

Quote:
This... All year, all decade.
I'm struggling to decide the symbolism of the picture.

elephant = cowboys' opponents, person = cowboys

elephant = cowboys , person = fans

elephant = jerry jones, person = cowboys