Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #561
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are still two losses worse than the Grizzlies. Maybe we shouldn't panic about our draft pick just yet...

The fact is that 8 teams are in full tank mode so a less than desirable pick might happen no matter how you try to lose.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #562
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #563
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The Mavs are still two losses worse than the Grizzlies. Maybe we shouldn't panic about our draft pick just yet...

The fact is that 8 teams are in full tank mode so a less than desirable pick might happen no matter how you try to lose.
If you can't look at the Grizzlies and the Mavericks, and then determine the Grizzlies are doing more to tank than the Mavericks... there isn't anything else I can say.

If I said the sky was blue, you'd say it was red just because. Your posts really make no sense. Like do you have any further evidence the Mavs are equaling MEM tank efforts other then we're theoretically a game ahead of them? Because the season doesn't end today. This is about what happens over the next 25 games.

Edit: You haven't looked at MEM vs PHX or MEM vs ATL's box scores have you? You don't even know what I'm talking about do you?

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-12-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #564
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
If you can't look at the Grizzlies and the Mavericks, and then determine the Grizzlies are doing more to tank than the Mavericks... there isn't anything else I can say.

If I said the sky was blue, you'd say it was red just because. Your posts really make no sense. Like do you have any further evidence the Mavs are equaling MEM tank efforts other then we're theoretically a game ahead of them? Because the season doesn't end today. This is about what happens over the next 25 games.

Edit: You haven't looked at MEM vs PHX or MEM vs ATL's box scores have you? You don't even know what I'm talking about do you?
I'm not sure you've ever watched an NBA game, but you've already been warned by a mod about personal attacks.

Going on some tirade about the Griz tanking better than the Mavs is just frankly stupid. The Mavs starting lineup last night was DSJ, Yogi, Barnes, Derm, and Powell. It's already been pointed out that short of breaking DSJ's knees that Mavs really can't do much more. Try listening and you will do much better around here.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #565
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm not sure you've ever watched an NBA game, but you've already been warned by a mod about personal attacks.

Going on some tirade about the Griz tanking better than the Mavs is just frankly stupid. The Mavs starting lineup last night was DSJ, Yogi, Barnes, Derm, and Powell. It's already been pointed out that short of breaking DSJ's knees that Mavs really can't do much more. Try listening and you will do much better around here.
When I post I'm interested in hearing what Mavs fans have to say. I'm not interested in your opinions, anymore. You can feel free to ignore my posts. They're not addressed to you. Find someone else to supervise.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #566
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Dudes, chill. We're all allowed to have differing viewpoints. This shouldn't ever get personal. We all want the same thing. It's valid to think that there is more they could do to tank. Its also valid to recognize that we ARE tanking, and that due to a unique set of circumstances we cant tank exactly the same way Memphis or ATL does.

I think its a good start that the vets set on the back to back. Wrong end of it, but its a start. I'm still expecting something like the 6th pick.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #567
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Dudes, chill. We're all allowed to have differing viewpoints. This shouldn't ever get personal. We all want the same thing. It's valid to think that there is more they could do to tank. Its also valid to recognize that we ARE tanking, and that due to a unique set of circumstances we cant tank exactly the same way Memphis or ATL does.

I think its a good start that the vets set on the back to back. Wrong end of it, but its a start. I'm still expecting something like the 6th pick.
I've been respectful to the guy, but the dude is a dick. I've just had enough. He talks to me like he's my dad.

I've been looking at the other teams tanking habits, and I come across something interesting, so I'm excited to post it here & see what everybody thinks. Inside of 7 minutes, this clown is calling it a tirade & boiling down the rest of the season to last night's game, making ridiculous claims about breaking knees & basically telling me to shut up without ever bothering to look at 2 box scores.

Forget that guy.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #568
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I post I'm interested in hearing what Mavs fans have to say. I'm not interested in your opinions, anymore. You can feel free to ignore my posts. They're not addressed to you. Find someone else to supervise.

Really? You’re interested in what Mavs fans have to say? Because anytime someone provides evidence to refute your argument you tend to attack the poster not the argument.

Mavs are playing their young guys more than ever before. We traded away Devin Harris, and likely would have traded Wes or Barea if we could have gotten a fair return. The fact that we’re putting such a young team out there and we’re 2-8 our last 10 (same as the Grizz) should be enough to appease #teamtank. It’s enough to appease me.

Another poster mentioned that we’re tanking the right way — we’re developing our youth and teaching them how to play the game the right way. If we drop 2-3 spots in the draft as a result I’m fine with that and you should be too. Otherwise feel free to pollute a Grizz forum.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #569
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post

Damn you and your reasonable opinion!

I think the tough call is benching Dirk since he is one of the few reasons Mavs fans come to games. DSJ is the primary reason you can do that since fans really like watching him.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #570
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think the tough call is benching Dirk since he is one of the few reasons Mavs fans come to games. DSJ is the primary reason you can do that since fans really like watching him.
I'd like to buy the world a (line of) Coke, and teach it harmony

I don't have any issue with Dirk sitting some as I'd imagine he's back next season. I like rest. I think everyone should rest occasionally, even DSJ. And Barnes. Preventative maintenance.

But I can understand why fans would be bummed to tune in or have tickets to a game and find Dirk is sitting.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #571
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:

I think if you're Rick and you're benching Dirk you do it for away games...
Home fans should get the chance to see him as much as possible.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #572
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@MavsDraft: Ayton has recorded a block in each of his last 19 games, dating back to December 2 vs UNLV. In that span he's averaging 19.5 PPG 10.4 RPG and 2.1 BPG on 59/40/75 splits in 33 MPG

@MavsDraft: However, while his blocks are up, he's still missing help/weak side plays. He's quick, a great jumper, and has long arms. he should be able to at least impact these shots, or try to impact them: https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/963162734744473603

Old 02-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #573
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

A couple days ago we were talking about 2nd round sleepers we might like with that POR pick.

I stumbled across this video on Youtube & it's pretty interesting. Robert Franks, Jr SG/SF from Washington St. Late bloomer type. Pure shooter, who has increased his averages dramatically each of his 3 years w/ the Cougars. He has size, seems to rebound well, and sounds like a total gym rat. Depending on where he falls come June, I could see him being a guy the Mavs look at with either of their 2nd round picks. Wash St isn't likely to make the NIT even, so he could be the kind of player to be out-of-sight, out-of-mind, unless he has a big NBA combine.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=626JmEOZkvI
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #574
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair about Memphis and their games against PHX and ATL the mins are misleading. Against PHX they had a 21pt lead in the 4th and when it went down to 12 or 13 Gasol went back in. That's not something you do when you are intentionally tanking to the maximum potential. And against ATL they were down by almost 30 when they took him out.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #575
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
A couple days ago we were talking about 2nd round sleepers we might like with that POR pick.

I stumbled across this video on Youtube & it's pretty interesting. Robert Franks, Jr SG/SF from Washington St. Late bloomer type. Pure shooter, who has increased his averages dramatically each of his 3 years w/ the Cougars. He has size, seems to rebound well, and sounds like a total gym rat. Depending on where he falls come June, I could see him being a guy the Mavs look at with either of their 2nd round picks. Wash St isn't likely to make the NIT even, so he could be the kind of player to be out-of-sight, out-of-mind, unless he has a big NBA combine.

That is a smooth stroke. Not a bad one to keep tabs on.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #576
Underdog

Quote:

Wow, nice story... Dude is shooting 43% from beyond the arc, set the Cougars record for the most threes in a game, going 10/13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylINuPXS7d4

We could always use sharpshooter with size, plus he does appear to be a solid rebounder. How's his defense? Looks like he's completely off the radar right now, could grab him with that last pick or extend a camp invite if he goes undrafted.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #577
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wow, nice story... Dude is shooting 43% from beyond the arc, set the Cougars record for the most threes in a game, going 10/13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylINuPXS7d4

We could always use sharpshooter with size, plus he does appear to be a solid rebounder. How's his defense? Looks like he's completely off the radar right now, could grab him with that last pick or extend a camp invite if he goes undrafted.
The line from the video about him being a deer & trying to grow into his body, I get the feeling he's still adjusting. However, I haven't watched anything but highlights of Franks, yet.

If I were looking for a comp, I'd say he profiles like a cross between a Nik Stauskas and a Channing Frye type. But, that's only what I'd be expecting to find. Hopefully, he's a bit more agile, although, if he is, he might not last til late 2nd round.

Edit: I'm particularly impressed with the season-to-season improvement, especially his FT% this year 88.4%. He's essentially taken on the leading scorer role for the Cougars, and all of his #s have improved under that pressure. Rougly double the minutes, and his scoring has nearly tripled, rebounding more than doubled, assists, steals, etc. all up, even TOs less than doubled. He responded to the pressure & %s up across the board, makes me think his FT% improvement is real. I would expect his shooting to translate at the next level.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-12-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #578
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
To be fair about Memphis and their games against PHX and ATL the mins are misleading. Against PHX they had a 21pt lead in the 4th and when it went down to 12 or 13 Gasol went back in. That's not something you do when you are intentionally tanking to the maximum potential. And against ATL they were down by almost 30 when they took him out.
That's a fair point. Moreso, about the ATL game.

Versus PHX, they brought Tyreke Evans off the bench, even though he had been starting. When MEM had a 17 point lead at half time, they only played Gasol 11 minutes in the 2nd half. They gave Selden, Harrison & Martin each about 10 min more than they're season averages.

It's subtle stuff, but even in the PHX game, they were trying their best to lose that game. Only their backups got hot & PHX wasn't good enough to catch up without Booker in the lineup.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #579
Underdog

Quote:
I'm particularly impressed with the season-to-season improvement, especially his FT% this year 88.4%. He's essentially taken on the leading scorer role for the Cougars, and all of his #s have improved under that pressure. Rougly double the minutes, and his scoring has nearly tripled, rebounding more than doubled, assists, steals, etc. all up, even TOs less than doubled. He responded to the pressure & %s up across the board, makes me think his FT% improvement is real. I would expect his shooting to translate at the next level.
Yeah, that jumped out at me too... Read an article on him where he completely overhauled his body before this season started -- cut the junk food, slimmed down, added muscle. Dude basically chose to become a gym rat. Here's a link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...bert-franks-s/

Last edited by Underdog; 02-12-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #580
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a fair point. Moreso, about the ATL game.

Versus PHX, they brought Tyreke Evans off the bench, even though he had been starting. When MEM had a 17 point lead at half time, they only played Gasol 11 minutes in the 2nd half. They gave Selden, Harrison & Martin each about 10 min more than they're season averages.

It's subtle stuff, but even in the PHX game, they were trying their best to lose that game. Only their backups got hot & PHX wasn't good enough to catch up without Booker in the lineup.
He only played 11 mins though because they had a huge lead. They had built it to over 20 in the 4th. When that lead shrank to 13 with just under 3mins left they put him back in. That's like if we had a 20 point lead and the young guys were blowing it and then we put Barea back in to close the game out. I'm pretty sure people here would be very unhappy if we did that.

The Tyreke stuff idk about, but as for Gasol I don't think you put ur best player back on the floor to secure a win if you are doing everything you can to lose.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #581
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
He only played 11 mins though because they had a huge lead. They had built it to over 20 in the 4th. When that lead shrank to 13 with just under 3mins left they put him back in. That's like if we had a 20 point lead and the young guys were blowing it and then we put Barea back in to close the game out. I'm pretty sure people here would be very unhappy if we did that.

The Tyreke stuff idk about, but as for Gasol I don't think you put ur best player back on the floor to secure a win if you are doing everything you can to lose.
Yeah, that's a really good point also. I wish I had league pass, so I could go back and watch that game & see what the announcers were saying, see cut aways to Gasol on the bench. That's a big question in my mind, "What extent is MEM going to in order to appease Gasol?" and "How much appeasing does Gasol need?" Can't think he's all that excited about the tank, but maybe he understands.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #582
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I'd be interested to see RF's shot chart, any way we can find one? I did a quick search and got zilch. I only ask because I'd like to know if he's more of a corner guy who is merely decent outside of the corners or if he lights it up from all over.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #583
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's a really good point also. I wish I had league pass, so I could go back and watch that game & see what the announcers were saying, see cut aways to Gasol on the bench. That's a big question in my mind, "What extent is MEM going to in order to appease Gasol?" and "How much appeasing does Gasol need?" Can't think he's all that excited about the tank, but maybe he understands.
http://nbareplaytv.com/tag/dallas-mavericks/

Pick a team and watch any game you want here. Takes 6-24hrs after the game usually for most uploads I think.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #584
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, that jumped out at me too... Read an article on him where he completely overhauled his body before this season started -- cut the junk food, slimmed down, added muscle. Dude basically chose to become a gym rat. Here's a link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...bert-franks-s/
Good article. I like the kid's work ethic. Especially knowing he went from a kid who guys wouldn't let play pick up games with them to the #4 player in the state in high school.

Looking at his frame, he has a wide body. I don't see him being a particularly athletic perimeter defender, but with that lower body strength, I don't think it's any accident he's rebounding like he does.

I do notice a little hiccup in his shot. He likes to bring the ball down to his waist, as short of a timing/rhythm mechanism, I know because I use to like to do that. That's kinda bad. Gives NBA defenders that extra half second they need to close out. Can't believe Washington State hasn't worked with him on that, but that's also another thing that could cause him to slide in the 2nd round. It's something that's fixable with individual coaching & time too.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #585
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I'd be interested to see RF's shot chart, any way we can find one? I did a quick search and got zilch. I only ask because I'd like to know if he's more of a corner guy who is merely decent outside of the corners or if he lights it up from all over.
I just did a quick search & didn't find anything either. I was watching the highlights of his 10 3-pointers game vs CAL & the announcers were saying he likes the corner 3, but he was raining 3s down from all over the court in that game, obv.

Seeing some of his other highlights, he seems pretty comfortable from the wing & from the top of the key too. He seems pretty good pulling up in transition, and he actually has a decent mid range game, as well as taking the ball to the basket. I need to see more of him, though. Their game Sat w/ Utah is on ESPN2, so hopefully I'll be able to watch that one.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #586
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
http://nbareplaytv.com/tag/dallas-mavericks/

Pick a team and watch any game you want here. Takes 6-24hrs after the game usually for most uploads I think.
Thanks for the link!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #587
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Mavs should draft Mobamba
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #588
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape View Post
I'm only going to be happy with Bamba if Doncic, Ayton, Jackson Jr, and Trae Young are already off the board. I think I'd rather have Mikal Bridges over him too.

Bamba is a project. The talent is unquestioned, but he's at least 1 year & probably 2 years away from developing an NBA body, and that's if he works at it because there are questions about his work ethic.

Here's an article the Ringer did on him last month:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...2018-nba-draft

Check out these quotes from the article...

Quote:
Bamba needs to strengthen his lean legs. The 6-foot-11, 225-pound center gets pushed around by stronger players when defending the post or boxing out.
He needs to hit the weight room. Big time.

Quote:
Bamba also lacks the intensity and toughness you’d prefer in a defensive anchor. He rarely boxes out and relies primarily on his length to grab rebounds that come near him
Despite being a top 15 rebounder in college basketball, he's only tied for 27th in defensive rebounds. He doesn't do as good of a job digging in, boxing out & fighting for boards.

Quote:
When other players are sprinting, you might find Bamba in cruise control.
Like other posters have said on this forum regarding Nerlens Noel. You can't make a guy want to try. Check out that link & look at his lazy efforts getting back on D. Troubling.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #589
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape View Post
Stretch Armstrong...

Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #590
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I've mentioned this guy's name before, but haven't gotten in-depth on him, yet.

Chandler Hutchinson - 6-7, SF, Senior, Boise State

He's been mentioned as a sleeper for most of the year, but the 44 he dropped on San Diego St last month has raised his profile a bit. He's still projected mid 2nd round, according to nbadraft.net, but then again they have Keita Bates-Diop projected there too.

Check this SI article out: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/12/13/nb...damian-lillard

Cliffs - So, Hutchinson wasn't much to speak of his freshman & sophomore years. Then Boise State hires Damian Lillard's old assistant coach from Weber State, and he works with Hutchinson specifically. Look the difference in his junior & senior #s since Lillard's old coach has gotten there http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...dler-hutchison

Looking at highlights, holy cow this kid can slash to the basket. It's obvious that Beckner (Lillard's old coach) has had him working on his handles. He's a good college shooter, will need to continue to develop at the NBA level. Needs to develop range also. I think every highlight I saw of him taking a 3 he was right up against the college 3 pt line... Wasn't a good shooter as a freshman or sophomore.

He's athletic. Has hops! He also put up 32 vs UNLV this yr & did some work on UNLV's highly-touted freshman center Brandon McCoy, including one blow by dunk that was breathtaking. Very DSJ-esque (not in leaping ability but in terms of speed & quickness). This guy is shifty, very agile, can move his body in traffic like a snake to get around defenders... kinda like his whole body is a Euro-step.

I wish I had better scouting reports on his defense, but with his athleticism, I can't imagine it's a weakness & probably a strength. I don't know if I trust his height as a legit 6-7, maybe 6-7 in shoes or something like that. The quotes in the article are very promising. Apparently Lillard is very impressed with him & his coach thinks he's an NBA first rounder, which wouldn't mean much, but he worked with Lillard & still does every off-season.

Here's a few videos on him:

44 vs SDSU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temjJ3jaNGk

32 vs UNLV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5wzu9agI00

12 min highlight package https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsa9fAlkCk

Junior season highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvigz_fiSWo
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #591
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Bamba does seem strangely underrated. Not by me. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #592
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

So far my late round guys I like the most (probably one or more will move up into the 1st round come June) are:

Keita Bates-Diop, Troy Brown, Robert Franks, Chandler Hutchinson, Billy Preston (a real wild card), Isaac Bonga, and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (important to note, even though he's a senior he's only 20 yrs old that is if you believe Ukrainian birth certificates lol).

I wanna take a closer look at some of these guys over the ASB. Down the road I have my eye on Kerwin Roach, Alize Johnson, Shake Milton, Bruce Brown, Rawle Alkins, and pretty much all of the guys from the area Kevin Hervey & Kenrich Williams.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #593
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm only going to be happy with Bamba if Doncic, Ayton, Jackson Jr, and Trae Young are already off the board. I think I'd rather have Mikal Bridges over him too.

Bamba is a project.
OK, you've got my curiosity. What is your reasoning for taking Trae Young ahead of Bamba when we already have DSJ? Do you consider Bamba to be that much of a project? If we were to draft TY, how does a TY and DSJ work?
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #594
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Having watched both the TCU and Baylor games, in my eye test, Bamba is very talented with the ball in his hands and he has a wide range of offensive weapons that he knows how to use. He might be raw with some of the fundamentals, and I agree he might take some plays off if the offense isn't run through him. But when he has the ball in his hands, he rarely doesn't know what to do. I think his passing is sometimes lazy and needs to be worked on, but talent-wise, this guy is grade A.

I feel like people sometimes muddy up talent versus being raw. Bamba is still a bit raw, but the talent is definitely there. No question.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #595
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Having watched both the TCU and Baylor games, in my eye test, Bamba is very talented with the ball in his hands and he has a wide range of offensive weapons that he knows how to use. He might be raw with some of the fundamentals, and I agree he might take some plays off if the offense isn't run through him. But when he has the ball in his hands, he rarely doesn't know what to do. I think his passing is sometimes lazy and needs to be worked on, but talent-wise, this guy is grade A.

I feel like people sometimes muddy up talent versus being raw. Bamba is still a bit raw, but the talent is definitely there. No question.
That's a great take on Bamba. I live in Austin area and have seen him in person 3 times this year - raw talent yes! but he needs a lot of refinement.

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 02-13-2018 at 10:28 AM.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #596
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I see Bamba's best case as Gobert, worst case as Dalembert, and average as Tyson.

On one hand, I miss Tyson and having a 19-year old Tyson on the squad with Smith excites me. Tyson was a solid defensive star that got us our championship. On the other hand, this is the best lottery pick we've had in 14 years (since Devin) and if the options are there, you have to shoot for a superstar.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-13-2018 at 10:58 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #597
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

Bamba is a project. The talent is unquestioned, but he's at least 1 year & probably 2 years away from developing an NBA body, and that's if he works at it because there are questions about his work ethic.
I'm not sure that's a knock when considering this team is not winning, much less competing for, a championship within the next 2-3 years. I do not argue the fact that he is a project, just the notion that is a knock against him. I absolutely take him over Trae Young and Mikal Bridges. The tougher call is between him and Jaren Jackson Jr.

But it is my hope that the Mavs FO isn't viewing these prospects for what they are today, but what they can be for this team in the future. And I think Mo Bamba can be a stud.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #598
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bamba does seem strangely underrated. Not by me. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Count me in the Bamba camp. I'd take him over Young and Bridges, tough call between Jaren Jackson Jr. and Porter, pending health.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #599
mac222b
Diamond Member

Tough call for me too between Bamba and Jackson. Love Bamba but would be happy with either. Jackson profiles as a better shooter likely with 3 point NBA range, though his mechanics are funky. Bamba could eventually get there, may be many years, but he has a nice stroke (also has a weird slinging release that should be corrected) for a guy that big. Jackson may be a better perimeter defender now but I see Bamba closing the gap in that regard too.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-13-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #600
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I see Bamba's best case as Gobert, worst case as Dalembert, and average as Tyson.

On one hand, I miss Tyson and having a 19-year old Tyson on the squad with Smith excites me. Tyson was a solid defensive star that got us our championship. On the other hand, this is the best lottery pick we've had in 14 years (since Devin) and if the options are there, you have to shoot for a superstar.
I think Bamba's best case is better than Gobert. He's already way ahead of where Gobert was offensively.