Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-05-2023, 03:44 PM   #281
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

If Brooklyn wants to blow it up, we'll also give them Wood + THJ + Powell for KD. Great rebuilding players for them.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #282
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Damn Lakers couldn?t offer more than that? Love the trade. Probably the best player we?ve traded since I?ve watched this team. He has some baggage but I also don?t think Nico and Kidd here will be good for him.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:47 PM   #283
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
If Brooklyn wants to blow it up, we'll also give them Wood + THJ + Powell for KD. Great rebuilding players for them.
With all the first rounders they?ve given up I don?t think they have intentions of rebuilding.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #284
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Damn Lakers couldn?t offer more than that? Love the trade. Probably the best player we?ve traded since I?ve watched this team. He has some baggage but I also don?t think Nico and Kidd here will be good for him.
Seems they could have offered Russ + Lonnie Walker IV + Thomas Bryant + 1st round pick, but oh well. It's our turn for something to happen Lakers always get everything.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #285
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

no contract talks til summer. And no fake handshake deal either.

Will be funny to watch Kyrie walk.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:50 PM   #286
JustJay

Quote:
With all the first rounders they?ve given up I don?t think they have intentions of rebuilding.
Obviously a joke, they would laugh if MBT offered that for KD.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:51 PM   #287
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm hoping there's more work to be done.

Get rid of THJ and Powell by any means possible, and offer Wood the most he can get and if he says no trade him too.
We don't need to dump Powell, but I sure as hell hope we dump THJ.

Powell is fine if he's the backup to someone like Poeltl. If that's the TDL, then yeah we f#$@ed. Powell/Kleber will never be a good center rotation and Wood is a PF.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #288
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

The Nets successfully pry the two players they wanted most from Dallas -- Spencer Dinwiddie and Dorian Finney-Smith -- in this trade ... while the Mavericks take one of the largest gambles in franchise history to put an elite scorer/ballhandler next to MVP candidate Luka Dončić.

From Stein.

Cuban is the worst negotiator. They got the 2 guys they wanted and picks lmao
Old 02-05-2023, 03:54 PM   #289
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Seems they could have offered Russ + Lonnie Walker IV + Thomas Bryant + 1st round pick, but oh well. It's our turn for something to happen Lakers always get everything.
I agree and yeah I?d take that over what the Mavs gave up. Good for us.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #290
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post

I?d have no issue. I make this deal even if it?s a rental.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:56 PM   #291
JustJay

Quote:

Bird rights
Old 02-05-2023, 03:57 PM   #292
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Nets successfully pry the two players they wanted most from Dallas -- Spencer Dinwiddie and Dorian Finney-Smith -- in this trade ... while the Mavericks take one of the largest gambles in franchise history to put an elite scorer/ballhandler next to MVP candidate Luka Dončić.

From Stein.

They got a top talent for solid role players?.they already got him on a bargain anymore posturing they trade with someone else.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #293
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

From Stein.

If that's an overpay, it's a very small one. If you think Cuban is the worst negotiator, remember what the Wolves gave up for Gobert. Two role players and a couple of picks is a sensible price for a bonafied star and unquestionable future Hall of Famer who's still in his prime or very close to it.

That being said, no question it is a massive gamble given Kyrie's historic level of baggage.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #294
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

First reaction: WTF, this is terrible

Second reaction: I hate it. We get a Morris bro too that Luka hates?

Third take: I want to give it a chance.

[b]WORST CASE[b]
Kyrie doesn't re-sign and we end up with Luka, less talent, and one less FRP
OR
Kyrie re-signs, Luka hates him and forces his way out. Kyrie is our John Wall and we are the Wizards (ew). That 2029 unprotected ends up being#1 overall with all the shit and Nets get the next LeBron/Jordan.

BEST CASE (trying to be optimistic)
Mavs went to the WCF with Brunson. Kyrie is a slightly better Brunson AND we have Wood now too meaning that at least on paper we are a more talented team (time will tell if more talent=better, though). Center is still fucked but we have a starting PF who is starting-caliber and has good height in Wood (6'11" vs. Dodo's 6'7")

SD was alright, but he was a defensive nightmare and was very hot/cold while Kyrie is much more consistent. DFS was one of my favorites, but his natural position was PF and at 6'7", he was both not tall enough and played the same position as our third star in Wood.

Mavs still have 2027 and if we can somehow net Poeltl or even someone like Bamba, we can be a much better team overall. If we can stay dominant, the 2029 pick will be 20-30 and thus not that important.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-05-2023 at 04:02 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #295
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
LETS GO.

Team as constructed wasn?t winning anything. We will have his bird rights and I don?t think a team could outright sign him in the off-season. Worst case scenario we do a S&T.
That?s assuming the other team agrees to a S&T.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:06 PM   #296
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm hoping there's more work to be done.

Get rid of THJ and Powell by any means possible, and offer Wood the most he can get and if he says no trade him too.
Wood is an UFA though. If he doesn?t accept our top offer he can walk away for nothing like Brunson did last offseason.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #297
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Wood is an UFA though. If he doesn?t accept our top offer he can walk away for nothing like Brunson did last offseason.
That's why I said to trade him now if no deal. Unless you want a rental to see what happens this season.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #298
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bird rights
Bird rights don?t mean shit if he doesn?t want to be here.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #299
JustJay

Quote:
He's proven he just wants the most money, we can offer him the most + an additional year. But it's true he can walk if he hates it here. It is a risk.

On another subject, I saw the Clippers wanted Wood. I would love to get Zubac here.

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #300
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's why I said to trade him now if no deal. Unless you want a rental to see what happens this season.
Ahh I misunderstood. Didn?t realize you meant doing that before the TDL. I agree that they need to offer 4/$77m or whatever the max is. If he declines shop him hard
Old 02-05-2023, 04:16 PM   #301
BPo001
Diamond Member

I?m assuming with DFS being moved that means we are keeping Bullock unless we move him for another 3D wing.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #302
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Immediate reaction. We salvaged a good contract and usable player if put in the right role- Dfs. We gave up SD a legit 2nd option on most nights and a 1st rnd pick which i dont care a ton about except its for a 40 game rental. The redeeming quality is that
minimally someone in the FO at least for a moment realized the desperation to get Luka actual help.

Secondarily, we have a massive shit show to watch implode now. The countdown starts now. I dont mean just Kryie, I mean ehat happens to C Wood and what happens to Kyrie in offseason.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #303
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Wait, so now there's people hemming and hawing about losing role players and gaining a bonafide star? I like the aggressiveness by the front office here. Could give two shits about a 1st round pick 6 years from now. If it was the 2027 pick along with the two guys we gave up, that's a different level of risk with Kyrie expiring and tough sledding to get back to being a contender and keeping Luka happy here.

Of course, this all could very well backfire. But that's the risk and I'm willing to take it. Speaks to some level that Nico and Kidd were both front runners for this trade. I could see this sparking a run, BUT, if it were up to me, this is the type of move that necessitates another or two in the coming days. Getting Morris helps out quite a bit on depth and rebounding. Still needing a legit center and this team could go deeeep. Hell, wouldn't mind adding another shooter. I wonder if Seth Curry was ever brought up?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #304
JustJay

Wood for Zubac I do that right now if the Clippers agree (they may not), and Zubac is going to cost less. He signed a 3 year 32 million dollar deal last year.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #305
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

What else can we do? If you do this, you gotta have a follow-up idea. Can we trade for Crowder?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #306
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Wood for Zubac I do that right now if the Clippers agree (they may not), and Zubac is going to cost less. He signed a 3 year 32 million dollar deal last year.
No way they do this. Zubac is a difference maker from them, they are not going to trade him to what is probably their biggest rival team in the last couple of years. They try to win with Kawhi and PG, as difficult as that sounds.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #307
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
No way they do this. Zubac is a difference maker from them, they are not going to trade him to what is probably their biggest rival team in the last couple of years. They try to win with Kawhi and PG, as difficult as that sounds.
Well all I know is they are interested in Wood. They can't get him without giving something back. But you're probably right about Zubac.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:28 PM   #308
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah but if you let him and Wood walk?.all of sudden you have cap space?
Old 02-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #309
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Immediate reaction. We salvaged a good contract and usable player if put in the right role- Dfs. We gave up SD a legit 2nd option on most nights and a 1st rnd pick which i dont care a ton about except its for a 40 game rental. The redeeming quality is that
minimally someone in the FO at least for a moment realized the desperation to get Luka actual help.

Secondarily, we have a massive shit show to watch implode now. The countdown starts now. I dont mean just Kryie, I mean ehat happens to C Wood and what happens to Kyrie in offseason.
Dinwiddie was our second star but on a contender he probably was at best a 3rd talent.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #310
JustJay

Quote:
Yeah but if you let him and Wood walk?.all of sudden you have cap space?
Plan powder 2.0, we are going to do so much winning with that powder this time!
Old 02-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #311
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wood is a superior player to Zubac. I wouldn?t trade Wood for him straight up I?d need more.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #312
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Plan powder 2.0, we are going to do so much winning with that powder this time!
Not my point. My point is they have some leverage and don?t have to fear Kyrie leaving. At this point his best bet is to have a good stay in Dallas this may be his last shit.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #313
JustJay

Quote:
Wood is a superior player to Zubac. I wouldn?t trade Wood for him straight up I?d need more.
I would because Zubac is a better defender (we have plenty of firepower on offense) and his contract is more reasonable, and it's better than losing Wood for nothing by a mile. I agree with the other poster though that Clippers won't do it.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #314
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
What else can we do? If you do this, you gotta have a follow-up idea. Can we trade for Crowder?
Phoenix has to be willing to take anything for him he?s just sitting there. Should be given away for free.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #315
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I would because Zubac is a better defender (we have plenty of firepower on offense) and his contract is more reasonable, and it's better than losing Wood for nothing by a mile. I agree with the other poster though that Clippers won't do it.
I agree Zubac would fill a need but I disagree Clippers wouldn?t do it. There?s a reason they are looking at Wood. I mean they have nothing else to offer. They can?t think Morris and Reggie Jackson would be enough. That?s a joke.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #316
JustJay

Crowder for Powell + 2nd round pick
Zubac for Wood

That's a good team (not that I really think those will happen, just dreaming. But I also didn't believe we'd get Kyrie and here we are)

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #317
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Of course this happens when I?m out with plans. I?ll post my thoughts later but superstars don?t grow on trees.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:40 PM   #318
JustJay

Old 02-05-2023, 04:42 PM   #319
JustJay

History has proven over and over with this franchise since young Dirk days it's better to just build the best team you can and have some decent young players and trade them for somebody good than to save cap space and try to sign a superstar which never works out.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:45 PM   #320
JustJay