Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all
Default Darko to Griz

Milicic, Grizzlies agree on three-year deal
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider
(Archive)
Updated: July 11, 2007, 9:30 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Free-agent center Darko Milicic agreed in principle to a three-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday, the player's agent Marc Cornstein told ESPN.com Insider Chad Ford.

Darko Milicic

Forward-Center
Orlando Magic

2007 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
80 8.0 5.5 1.1 .454 .613

Cornstein refused to disclose the amount of the deal, but the starting salary is believed to be for substantially more than the $5.3 million mid-level exception.

"We are extremely excited for this new opportunity," Cornstein said. "Darko's going to a team that really wants him. He's going to a young team with an exciting bright future much like his own. We're very excited Darko gets to learn from coach Marc Iavaroni. We believe he's one of the best big men coaches in the game. And we couldn't be happier that he has found a new home where he's appreciated."

Milicic was recently waived by the Orlando Magic to clear the cap room necessary to sign Rashard Lewis.

"Memphis has really pursued Darko since the moment he became an unrestricted free agent last week," Cornstein said. "And I'm grateful for the opportunity they'll be providing for Darko at this stage of his career."

Milicic was the second pick in the 2003 NBA draft. He was taken ahead of All-Stars like Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade and was widely regarded as a draft bust heading into his third season.

Milicic was traded to the Magic in February of 2006 and began to turn around his career. He averaged eight points and 5.5 rebounds in 23 minutes per game for the Magic last season. But he upped his averaged 12.3 points per game in the playoffs this year.

Magic general manager Otis Smith said that the team's top priority in the offseason was signing Milicic, but he reversed course after it became clear that signing Lewis would take all of their cap room.

Milicic should address the Grizzlies' biggest offseason need -- adding a center to play with Pau Gasol. His game appears to complement Iavaroni's up-tempo system.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Link
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

By the way, I think this leaves only Charlotte and Milwaukee as teams with cap room beyond the MLE.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

He's still a bust.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
He's still a bust.
He's only 22.. I think calling him a bust, especially considering how good his per-48 numbers are, is very premature..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

The Magic had two young seven footers waiting to develop to their full poetntial for years together and they hand out a max deal to Rashard Lewis of all people... idiots.

Good for Darko, I hope he really breaks out in Memphis.

Last edited by Tokey41; 07-12-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I am pulling for Darko also. He is young and showed good signs last year and he will get time in Memphis to either make it or not.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Is he going to get any minutes in their rotation? If they trade away Gasol, look for huge numbers from Darko.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Darko is going to be good. I'm sad we didnt land him but with that kind of money? Good lord. 6-7 mill a year for him is kinda steep.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I still think Kapono is biggest overpay so far this offseason

At least you can reason Darko, being that he's 22 and 7'

Contact Me
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Rudy Gay's Human Victory Cigar.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

You really have to give us credit for the Diop signing. Big guys don't come cheap I guess. And yeah Kapono was WAY overpaid.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #12
alby
Guru

Diop is definitely the Mavs' best signing...

maybe ever?

Contact Me
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Diop is definitely the Mavs' best signing...

maybe ever?
I dunno, Doug Christie is a close second...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
I dunno, Doug Christie is a close second...
If we could have kept his bird rights I would have mentioned him but early bird isnt enough.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #15
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

If Gasol stays in Memphis, how does the rotation of Gasol, Darko and Warrick sound? May be pretty good.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #16
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Rudy Gay's Human Victory Cigar.
this sounds so wrong on so many levels.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Milicic's interview in a Serbian newspaper in June included a disparaging remark about Gasol. The bravado had to do with the European Championships.

"We'll destroy them all -- Spaniards, Greeks, Lithuanians, Russians, Frenches, Italians ... All of them! They're good, but we can demolish them all," Milicic said. "Spain is not unbeatable. I like to play against Pau Gasol, he's soft. If we win gold medal in Spain, I'll take my shirt off and then I will jump from Parliament."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...627388,00.html

Barely signed with the Griz and already taking a shot at Gasol.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

Gasol is soft? Darko is softer!! Dude was the biggest pussy ive ever seen when he came in to the league.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I still think Kapono is biggest overpay so far this offseason

At least you can reason Darko, being that he's 22 and 7'

I agree on Kapono. I also agree on Darko. I might be wrong on Kapono but we have to watch and see what he does.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
Milicic's interview in a Serbian newspaper in June included a disparaging remark about Gasol. The bravado had to do with the European Championships.

"We'll destroy them all -- Spaniards, Greeks, Lithuanians, Russians, Frenches, Italians ... All of them! They're good, but we can demolish them all," Milicic said. "Spain is not unbeatable. I like to play against Pau Gasol, he's soft. If we win gold medal in Spain, I'll take my shirt off and then I will jump from Parliament."

And people thought his psyche was damaged in Detroit... if he has anything it's confidence. Not a smart thing to say (I wonder if it was before he signed with the Grizz.. talk about awkward), but then again he does have one more ring than Gasol (and Dirk...), let's just wait and see what he's capable of, as far as i'm concerned last year was his rookie year and he did pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortmund
Gasol is soft? Darko is softer!! Dude was the biggest pussy ive ever seen when he came in to the league.
And your judging this on the 5 garbage minutes he got at the end of every blowout? If he was soft he wouldn't have been looking for all those blocks (and getting them).
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

He must be better than Dirk, he has a ring!

He sounds like an idiot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-13-2007 at 11:32 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 AM   #22
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness

He doesn't want any Dirk, huh?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote