Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-17-2002, 12:07 AM   #41
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

fogleman, right now no one is. He's in an open gym.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2002, 12:14 AM   #42
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

this is just great, the Clippers barely could teach a class in high school with all there education since half of them came out to early or didn't even go to college and they are killing us. I say we don't need to trade for anyone now, but find a defensive coach that actually teaches defense. What the hell, this is not the way to win or build a championship team.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:40 AM   #43
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The first time we played the Clippers, wasn't it Q. Richardson that had a career high.

Last time we played them, it was Jeff Mcginis that had a career high.

Tonight, it's that freak E. Piakowski.

Ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:41 AM   #44
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we played poorly near the trade deadline. It's hard to concentrate when you might be leaving in a week.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:42 AM   #45
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we better get out of the mindset that we can outscore everyone and start playing some D.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:53 AM   #46
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

I seen this 1 coming, the Mavs couldn't beat the Clippers without their best all around player and there leading scorer off the bench. MFFL who is in the regular rotation that is possibly leaving in a week? I see the Clippers were not distracted by that in anyway by the royal thumping they put on the Mavs. The Clippers were simply the better team tonight, no excuses. I think the Mavs bounce back tomorrow and blow the Suns out in their own gym.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:57 AM   #47
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Joe Joe:

Your right there are no excuses, but I think MFFL was referring to all the trade talk surrounding Finley and Howard. Both have been rumored to be involved in trades and no matter what they say, it has to be distracting.

Both happened to play well tonight, but Dirk and Nash couldn't hit the ocean and that's a big part of our offense.

Yes, I know our defense MUST pick up or it doesn't matter how many points we put up on the board cause at the end of the night we won't be outscoring anyone.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:02 AM   #48
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I think every Mav except Dirk, Nash and Hardaway have been mentioned in trade rumors. Very distracting.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:04 AM   #49
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Yes true but Finley and Juwan had pretty decent games. Finley went to the whole alot more in this game than he usually does, and Juwan was solid down low. Dirk and Steve was the 2 guys who didn't play to well, Dirk did have a double double though. I have figured it out, if Steve Nash don't play well then this team loses. Last game when Steve shot poorly from the field the Mavs lost. I know you cannot base it on 2 games, but look at the other games he has played bad. The Mavs have lost some of those too. I think the Mavs are listening, but I don't think Finley is going anywhere. Juwan IMO is a whole different story, he may get moved. Finley isn't going anywhere IMO, and he shouldn't really worry about it. I think it's just rumors about Finley, I mean the Mavs will listen but I don't think they move him. The Mavs will probably listen to offers on anyone on the team including Dirk and Steve but I do not think they move the guys.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:06 AM   #50
Bayliss

Dirk's shooting was okay. It was Nash's that was downright awful.

We did not pass the ball. We did not rebound (except for Dirk & Howard). We did not defend. And that doesn't bode well. And it showed by the scoreboard.

And when is this team going to realize that you can't double team **every** frickin' time down the court. The main reason the Polish Rifle got so many good looks is because we were doubling on anyone in the post.

For once I wish Nellie would put EE or Bradley in the middle and let Olowakandi take them. And just to see *if** they could stop Kandi (*which I think they could, but never get the chance). I think it would work if Nellie would employ the "Shaq/Duncan" method when playing the Clippers. Let such and such get theirs but shut everyone down.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:15 AM   #51
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Bayliss:

I couldn't agree more. What happened to that strategy of letting such and such get theirs and stopping the rest of the team?

It worked against SA the first time, but the next time around, we were back to doubling Duncan.

Same thing with LA. We let Shaq have his in LA and came close to winning cause none of the other guys were killing us. Next time around, we were back to doubling Shaq and the others killed us.

What are we doing doubling Brand? Yes, he's a good player and could be double-teamed in stretches, same goes for Olwakandi, but doubling these guys every freaking time, is just ridiculous to me.

Is that the Nelson plan or are players just looking over and running low to help out?
Old 02-17-2002, 02:25 AM   #52
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I know, I know several topics, yell already.

I agree with Folglemann.. How about a defensive coach. If this team can't play defense as it so appears, but they are intelligent BBall players. Hello, what's wrong with this picture?

Let the team suffer to allow Wang some on the court learning time...vs losses amazes me.

And Dirk had how many touches?
Old 02-17-2002, 04:05 AM   #53
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

this team just was flat out played. In my eyes it is real simple. Outshot, Outrebounded, Outhustled, Out 3-Pointed, Out- Painted, out Blockd, out fast breaked. Do this and most nights will be prety long.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #54
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of thoughts about last night:

Dirk looked like he could care less about the game until we were floundering in the 4th, at which point he started playing hard. That's not acceptable. I don't think Dirk's had a really good game since he was named to the All-Star team. He's got to start playing hard from beginning to end if we're going to survive the stretch run and win the Midwest.

Steve Nash gets too involved in staring wars with the officials. Sure, there were several times where it appeared he just simply didn't get the call. Still, he has to play through it and make something happen. I don't fault Steve for a couple of bad shooting games, because he's been an amazing shooter for us this season. I just hope he doesn't get a Bradley-esque reputation for whining to the refs, because we're already considered one of the softer teams in the league.

Eschmeyer looked good when he was in there. Sure, he commits a lot of fouls, but he was the only guy I saw that didn't let Olowokandi (not exactly an All-Star post player) plow his way directly to the basket. Let's start this guy at center, and soon...

Bayliss, you are exactly right about the poor defensive gameplan. Why are we doubling everyone? The Clippers had the Mavericks scrambling all night long, primarily because we would double Ervin Johnson if he caught the ball in the post. Play 'em straight up and make 'em earn it. Much easier to guard the three-point line when you know where your man is.