Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dal/Ind/Port

Indiana Trade Breakdown

Austin Croshere
Scot Pollard
Reggie Miller

Incoming
Michael Finley
Change in team outlook: -11.9 ppg, -7.6 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Michael Finley

Incoming
Reggie Miller
Theo Ratliff
Change in team outlook: +3.9 ppg, +3.6 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Portland Trade Breakdown
Theo Ratliff

Incoming
Austin Croshere
Scot Pollard
Change in team outlook: +8.0 ppg, +4.0 rpg, and +1.2 apg.

Successful Scenario

Dallas gets a backup C who is defensive minded, and a shot blocker with an expiring contract (retired-Miller).
Indy gets a shooter for the 6th man who might put them at the top of the East.
Portland gets a guy that would be in their frontcourt rotation, and an expiring contract -and backup 5.

No one really gets shafted in this deal. You could substitute Bender for Croshere as well, if Indy still wants the savings of "amnesty" on Croshere. I would think Portland would do it for either Bender or Croshere.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dal/Ind/Port

Seems to make a great deal of sense. Is Indy ready to take on all that extra salary, would be the only question.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
echo

echo is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Dal/Ind/Port

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Seems to make a great deal of sense. Is Indy ready to take on all that extra salary, would be the only question.
I think some combination involving Indy is our only hope of moving Finley. Still a longshot, but Finley to Indy seems to make the most sense for several reasons. One, there are enough contracts to match. Indy could offer some combination of these players (Pollard, Bender, A. Johnson, Croshere, F. Jones, Gill, Miller's contract) without touching their core. They could do this and still amnesty someone they don't need. Bird likes Finley. Finley could fill a sixth man role and give them insurance should Artest meltdown again. The salary hit Indy takes wouldn't be as extreme as some teams as there would be no effect the first year and minimal effect the 2nd (only Pollard's expiring). The third year would be the biggie as Bender & Croshere only have two years left. Plus trading for Finley keeps him away from their biggest competition (along with Detroit), Miami.

Let's assume it's Bender/Pollard for Finley and Indy amnesties Croshere and resigns D. Davis.

Indy

PG Tinsley/Saras/A. Johnson or Gill
SG S. Jackson/Finley/F. Jones
SF Artest/Finley/Granger
PF J. O'Neal/D. Davis/Foster
C Foster/D. Davis/Harrison

That's a team that can compete with Miami and Detroit.

Dallas

PG Terry/Harris/Daniels
SG Stack/Christie/Daniels
SF Howard/Bender/KVH
PF Dirk/KVH/Powell
C Damp/Pollard/DJ

PPod & Marshall to the NBDL

I like the trade and think it makes sense for both teams. Indy gets a valauble player for their playoff push. We get a much needed backup center for a year, a player in Bender that has potential and could probably be easily moved, and most importantly something for Finley instead of just waiving him.

I think Indy is our only chance....

echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Indy does take on long term -3yr salary, but if they move Bender instead, and amnesty Croshere, then for this year, they would actually be lowering their LT payments while keeping there salary the same. They would not be losing any key pieces while gaining a player that could help them win it all.

Dallas wouldn't get as much relief, because of Ratliff contract, but would get something for Fin, while controlling his destintation, and saving some.
Portland would get frontline players, w/o incuring long term contracts.

This is about as good a deal, as I can come up with, that basically works for all. As long as Indy will agree to pick up Fin's contract, and Portland would move Ratliff.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 08-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Echo, your scenerio works as well. I just think that Dallas would prefer Ratliff, to Bender/Pollard.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
echo

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Echo, your scenerio works as well. I just think that Dallas would prefer Ratliff, to Bender/Pollard.
With the clock ticking I think if there is any possibility of trading Finley, they take what they can get. The problem with your Portland scenario is that Portland takes an inferior player (Croshere) with about the same contract Ratliff has without getting rid of one of their attitude problems. I prefer Ratliff over Pollard, but Pollard is a better option than Diop, and I think Bender can be moved later. If Portland is moving Ratliff I think Patterson is going with him.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
If Portland is moving Ratliff I think Patterson is going with him.
I think they will try very hard to move Patterson, but unless Dallas just "gives in", I don't see him going anywhere.

Patterson has talent, but such a low basketball IQ (and seemingly IQ in general) that I don't see any team wanting him.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I would love to have Patterson on the team honestly. Top notch defender that you can stick on Kobe/TMac/Ray Allen in a playoff game for 15 minutes a night and really help us. He was pretty efficent offensively last year, 12 ppg on 53%, so I don't think he would really hurt the team as Josh's backup.

I really wish the Blazers wanted to do Patterson/Ratliff for Finley, to me that is a dream deal. Don't save any money but damn, if Ratliff could stay healthy then team adds two dynamic defenders off of the bench. A 2nd unit of Devin, SG (who knows at this point), Ruben, Keith, and Ratliff could really be effective IMHO.

But this trade is nice too, getting Ratliff is the key, if he could stay healthy the Mavs have a top level shotblocker off of the bench. Nice work.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I love this deal, its also realistic. which is a plus.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Portland wants to go young.

They would want bender or Jones, young players, not 2 old hags in croshere and pollard.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
echo

Dallas Trade Breakdown

Outgoing

Michael Finley
6-7 SG from Wisconsin
15.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg in 36.8 minutes

Tariq Abdul-Wahad
6-6 from San Jose State
No games yet played in 2004/05

Incoming

Scot Pollard
6-11 C from Kansas
3.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.6 minutes

Reggie Miller
6-7 SG from UCLA
14.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.2 apg in 31.9 minutes

Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston (SC)
8.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 27.7 minutes

Ruben Patterson
6-5 SF from Cincinnati
11.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 28.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +23.0 ppg, +9.2 rpg, and +6.8 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Jonathan Bender
7-0 SF from Picayune HS (MS)
5.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 13.3 minutes

Scot Pollard
6-11 C from Kansas
3.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.6 minutes

Reggie Miller
6-7 SG from UCLA
14.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.2 apg in 31.9 minutes

Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston (SC)
8.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 27.7 minutes

Fred Jones
6-2 SG from Oregon
10.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.5 apg in 29.4 minutes

Incoming

Michael Finley
6-7 SG from Wisconsin
15.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg in 36.8 minutes

Theo Ratliff
6-10 C from Wyoming
4.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 27.5 minutes
Change in team outlook: -22.3 ppg, -5.1 rpg, and -7.4 apg.

Portland Trade Breakdown

Outgoing

Theo Ratliff
6-10 C from Wyoming
4.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 27.5 minutes

Ruben Patterson
6-5 SF from Cincinnati
11.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 28.0 minutes

Incoming

Tariq Abdul-Wahad
6-6 from San Jose State
No games yet played in 2004/05

Jonathan Bender
7-0 SF from Picayune HS (MS)
5.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 13.3 minutes

Fred Jones
6-2 SG from Oregon
10.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.5 apg in 29.4 minutes

Successful Scenario

Due to Dallas, Indiana, and Portland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Dallas, Indiana, and Portland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

This is more realistic for Portland. They get Bender and Jones, two young guys plus TAW's contract which insurance mostly covers.

Indy gets Finley and a center in Ratliff and can still amnesty Croshere. The big salary hit they take is in the third year as Finley and Ratliff both have three years left.

Dallas gets Pollard (expiring), Miller's expiring contract, 2 years of Patterson, and 3 years, 9 million from Johnson. I can't figure out a way to bring Ratliff here without giving Portland older guys they won't want.

Anyway it's a stretch that Indy would take Fin and Ratliff, but I like Dallas lineup if this went through.

PG Terry/Harris/Johnson
SG Stack/Christie/Daniels
SF Howard/Patterson
PF Dirk/KVH/Powell
C Damp/Pollard/DJ

NBDL PPod

I guess Marshall would have to be cut unless we moved someone else.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I still prefer the top scenerio with Ratliff and Miller coming to Dallas. Miller of course, straight off the cap. Ratliff would improve the C rotation greatly. I think Portland would love to have the expiring of Pollard and say Bender (instead of Croshere) which would allow them to trade Miles as soon as his BYC is up.
If the top trade went through.

Damp/Ratliff/DJ (Strength, and shot-blocking)
Dirk/KVH/Powell
Howard/Daniels/Marshall
Stackhouse/Christie
Terry/Harris/and either Armstrong/NVE

This looks like a team that, IMO, should be able to control the paint, and contend for a title.

I think they would be able to be versitile enough to play half court, and run, and defend with the best of them. They have some outside shooting in Terry, NVE (hopefully), Dirk and KVH. They have some slashing in Stack, Dirk, KVH, and some interior stuff with Howard, Damp, and Ratliff. Daniels would need to work on his post game, and Howard on his outside shooting, but they could be a great combination if the chemisty develops.

This combination, IMO, has the shot at beating Miami, SA, Phoenix, Detroit, Houston, and Indy -- if they can come up with enough offense.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Nevermind...
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote