Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #81
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets get fredette.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #82
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I like what Fredette can bring, but I'm not so sure he will fall enough for us to pick him up. The only way I see we get Fredette is to trade up
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #83
ThreevensonsBeard

ThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the roughThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the roughThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the rough

What do you guys think about Jeremy Tyler? He would probably be available around 26. He sounds like a good big man prospect, though I've heard he may have some character issues. But don't you think being around professionals like Kidd and Dirk could straighten him out?
ThreevensonsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #84
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I don't see him as starter material, more a 15 MPG player off the bench that can score
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #85
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreevensonsBeard View Post
What do you guys think about Jeremy Tyler? He would probably be available around 26. He sounds like a good big man prospect, though I've heard he may have some character issues. But don't you think being around professionals like Kidd and Dirk could straighten him out?
I feel character issues will only be amplified on the big stage.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #86
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreevensonsBeard View Post
Knowing Jeremy in the past on a personal level, the character issues will never go away, he thinks way too much of himself and thinks he can get away with anything, doesn't even think about the cops. He also hangs around with the wrong crowd and has a terrible temper, he is the kind of guy that not only has character but can legitimately tear a lockerroom apart.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #87
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

We should sell our pick or package it in a trade for an impact player - none of these rookies are going to help us defend the title.

We already have youngs like Roddy and DoJo who need to be worked into the lineup, not to mention Brewer and Mahinmi. Plus we have guys like Calathes stashed away in Europe - seems like we have more than enough youth to draw from right now.

At this point, I'd rather give the 15th roster slot to Brian Cardinal than anyone that we can get at #27...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #88
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in another thread, I'll be very surprised if the Mavs use their first round pick on a player that will be on the roster next year.

I expect them to trade the pick or draft a Euro that is staying overseas for at least a year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #89
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
We should sell our pick or package it in a trade for an impact player - none of these rookies are going to help us defend the title.

We already have youngs like Roddy and DoJo who need to be worked into the lineup, not to mention Brewer and Mahinmi. Plus we have guys like Calathes stashed away in Europe - seems like we have more than enough youth to draw from right now.

At this point, I'd rather give the 15th roster slot to Brian Cardinal than anyone that we can get at #27...
You act like all we can think of is next season, Butler, Marion, Dirk, Jet, Kidd, Haywood, Stevenson, Cardinal, Peja those aren't exactly young pups, the organization has to think for the future too, and all the 5 young players you meantioned have big question marks, unless we package the pick for a good young player I would be disappointed.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
You act like all we can think of is next season, Butler, Marion, Dirk, Jet, Kidd, Haywood, Stevenson, Cardinal, Peja those aren't exactly young pups, the organization has to think for the future too, and all the 5 young players you meantioned have big question marks, unless we package the pick for a good young player I would be disappointed.
It's a deep draft, but there's not much upside to most of these picks, especially not where we're picking.

It's not like we're going to get anyone with LESS question marks than Roddy, DoJo, Brewer, Mahinmi or Calathes unless we move up in the draft...

Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #91
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's a deep draft, but there's not much upside to most of these picks, especially not where we're picking.

It's not like we're going to get anyone with LESS question marks than Roddy, DoJo, Brewer, Mahinmi or Calathes unless we move up in the draft...
Well there are some euro's that are going to be there with good upside, and even if all we get is a 6th man down the road that has value for when kidd, jet, dirk all those guys retire. I do think there are some starters down the line available where we pick.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #92
Underdog

Quote:
Well there are some euro's that are going to be there with good upside, and even if all we get is a 6th man down the road that has value for when kidd, jet, dirk all those guys retire. I do think there are some starters down the line available where we pick.
You wouldn't rather package the pick for, say, Ramon Sessions, or someone of that caliber (assuming Barea is a goner)?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #93
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
You wouldn't rather package the pick for, say, Ramon Sessions, or someone of that caliber (assuming Barea is a goner)?
Hadn't even thought about it. If the Cavs take Irving, you'd have to think Sessions could be had for pennies. Still only 25 and is a capable point guard.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #94
mavs777
Diamond Member

Sessions is an average backup point, I honestly would rather use the pick.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #95
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
An average backup point guard is what you're hoping to get with a pick in the mid 20's. Why not pick one up that's already experienced?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #96
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I like Sessions game.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #97
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
An average backup point guard is what you're hoping to get with a pick in the mid 20's. Why not pick one up that's already experienced?
Not to mention that Cleveland is a team looking to stack picks in this deep draft...

Hell, they might be willing to do the deal just so the Maveliers can take down LeBron again while the Cavs continue to rebuild (it would definitely help back the "Cleveland will win a title before LeBron" statement that Gilbert made...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-22-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #98
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

I would not mind seeing a young guy like Sessions in a Mavs unifrom. Sadly our front office has been quite on making any trades for the #26 pick.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #99
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'd say he'd be an above-average backup point. He averaged 13 points and 5.5 assists a game on a really, really bad team, but his teammates sucking didn't make him shoot a bad percentage. 46% for a guy who has zero three-point threat is pretty good.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #100
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

Sessions would be a good fit on the mavs ...

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #101
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
are we? Because I think there are going to be players there that have the chance to be legit starters.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #102
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
I'd say he'd be an above-average backup point. He averaged 13 points and 5.5 assists a game on a really, really bad team, but his teammates sucking didn't make him shoot a bad percentage. 46% for a guy who has zero three-point threat is pretty good.
Right he had the ball in his hands often, and I am not sure how 46 % is anything other special especially when he can't shoot from 3, the only real improvement in his game (other than his usage) is his fouls drawn but that could be attributed to how often he had the ball in his hands.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #103
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
are we? Because I think there are going to be players there that have the chance to be legit starters.
Stars are few and far between in the mid 20's of the draft. If you find someone that regularly contributes to a rotation, you've had a very successful draft.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #104
Dundalis

Dundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the rough

I think it should be used on a Euro that gets stashed, or we trade it either for a player that can help now, or for a pick in a future, stronger draft.
Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #105
mavs777
Diamond Member

Lot's of mocks have us picking Bertans
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #106
Dundalis

Dundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the roughDundalis is a jewel in the rough

From profiles I've read, I prefer Nikola Mirotic from the Euro's projected to be around that pick. Apparently he's a lottery level talent that will drop because he's likely not going to come over for 2 years due to his contract in Spain.

Sounds perfect for our situation.

Last edited by Dundalis; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #107
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Draft is exciting. Although I've followed the NBA for 8 years now I've never been much into the Draft. That was a mistake
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #108
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
As the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks start to retool to try and defend their title, they’re worried they could lose J.J. Barea(notes) to free agency. Another small guard, Isaiah Thomas from Washington, may attract their interest with the 26th pick. The 5-foot-10 Thomas dazzled the Mavericks in a workout this week. They could perhaps still get him with their 57th overall pick, but they’ve never been afraid to make a bold move with a young player whom they like – regardless of where other teams have him listed on their draft boards. The Chicago Bulls will take a long look at Thomas with one of their two late first-round picks as well. Barea’s success in the Mavericksâ championship run is perfect timing for Thomas’ early entry to the NBA. He had a tremendous season for the Washington Huskies, and his speed, explosiveness and scoring ability can be game-changers. Some have compared Thomas to another small guard out of Washington – the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Nate Robinson(notes) – but Thomas is a much better playmaker.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._irving_062311
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #109
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
From profiles I've read, I prefer Nikola Mirotic from the Euro's projected to be around that pick. Apparently he's a lottery level talent that will drop because he's likely not going to come over for 2 years due to his contract in Spain.

Sounds perfect for our situation.
He maybe dropping a bit because of his contract but im not sold that he is a lottery level talent, reading around he is basically Jason Kapono with more potential, Bertans actually is much more athletic with better ball skills that has better potential to improve. Mirotic will need to put on strength as he is thin. Bertans has more question marks with his effort but I don't think you really worry about that for an 18 year old, it is normal.

All in all I prefer Bertans as he seems to have a much bigger ceiling.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #110
ThreevensonsBeard

ThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the roughThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the roughThreevensonsBeard is a jewel in the rough

With all the talk of Kemba Walker possibly falling as far as #17, I would love it if the Mavs moved up and drafted him as our PG of the future.
ThreevensonsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #111
mavs777
Diamond Member

Kemba isn't PG, think Lou Williams with a worse jumper, pass.