Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #121
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
no it is not!!! I have a Wang Zhi Zhi mav's jersey, and it is by far my favorite thing.
Yea, but a jersey that says "WANG" on it is awesome in its own right.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #122
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Yea, but a jersey that says "WANG" on it is awesome in its own right.

eh. IF the only other thing on it is a big heart and I above it.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #123
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

Has this translated interview with Roddy been posted yet?

http://www.justbball.com/forums/show....php?p=2190278
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #124
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Cool, thanks for the link on Boobs.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #125
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alykhan04 View Post
Has this translated interview with Roddy been posted yet?

http://www.justbball.com/forums/show....php?p=2190278
Good read. I especially like this bit:

Quote:
Which player has impressed you the most since your start in the League?
Honestly, it's Dirk! I'm especially thinking of a game against Utah where we weren't good and neither was he. And he decided to take things into his own hands in the fourth quarter and it was really impressive. And even if I've faced very good players, Dirk is above the rest.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #126
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Roddy actually ran the point tonight with Terry as the 2 guard and both Kidd and Barea on the bench.

He didn't accomplish a lot, but he didn't stink the place up either. Not a bad start. A good step forward... even though the Mavs got spanked.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #127
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Great job by RC benching him after his decent game in Memphis...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #128
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

What did Beaubois do to piss Carlisle off? He had a great game in Memphis.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #129
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Agreed, this made no sense at all. Beabois was the only Mav who didn't suck in Memphis and he gets benched? I don't get it. I get the need to change things up after that loss, but why would your change be to get rid of the one thing that was working?

I'm not a Barea hater, I like the guy a lot in a clear, backup PG role. But if Carlise was going to not play someone tonight... it should have been Barea. He was by far the worst Mav in Memphis and he was horrible tonight... and he was being matched up against players that were far too big for him to handle. Beabois would have had a better time of it tonight than Barea, yet Barea gets extensive minutes and Beabois gets none... even though Barea continued to play horribly all night long.

Madness.

Last edited by cinemablend; 12-06-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #130
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem here is that we just don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Roddy is young and raw. For all we know he might have been late for shoot around or something and got benched.

We were all pining for Green last year and there were little rumblings here and there throughout the off season that Green wasn't exactly the hardest worker in practice. Sometimes we just don't know what's going on.

This is where having a competent beat writer would help. I don't understand why Sefko has a job. I can't remember the last time Sefko gave us any nuggets that being in the locker room gave him access to. The difference between how the Rangers are covered by their beat writer and how the Mavs are covered by theirs is just staggering.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #131
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The problem here is that we just don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Roddy is young and raw. For all we know he might have been late for shoot around or something and got benched.

We were all pining for Green last year and there were little rumblings here and there throughout the off season that Green wasn't exactly the hardest worker in practice. Sometimes we just don't know what's going on.

This is where having a competent beat writer would help. I don't understand why Sefko has a job. I can't remember the last time Sefko gave us any nuggets that being in the locker room gave him access to. The difference between how the Rangers are covered by their beat writer and how the Mavs are covered by theirs is just staggering.
I agree, I don't know what Sefko is doing. He blogs a few times in each game, and occasionally gives you news updates (usually injury updates). I can't remember a single thing he's done though in the past few weeks that have been about stuff that the national media doesn't talk about. He doesn't write anything involving his own opinion whatsoever, nothing that I would find interesting to read. I would love updates on whether Roddy is working with Casey on his shot, or on defense, or if Josh Howard is at practice every day rehabbing or MIA rehabbing away from the team. But there isn't anything...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #132
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My take on the Hawks game is that RC treated it like a playoff game. He played 8 guys, a playoff rotation pretty much. He was also trying to get the mavs off of the starting badly trend. It certainly didn't work out that was as I've felt that Roddy has been a pretty decent spark at the start of games (fisher commented the same thing)...Jet surely was not the answer.

Maybe he feels that wiht damp/shawn/jkiddo out there, he just needs more offense starting. When it was gooden/shawn/jkiddo it was more balanced.

It is a quandry however..
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #133
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
My take on the Hawks game is that RC treated it like a playoff game. He played 8 guys, a playoff rotation pretty much. He was also trying to get the mavs off of the starting badly trend. It certainly didn't work out that was as I've felt that Roddy has been a pretty decent spark at the start of games (fisher commented the same thing)...Jet surely was not the answer.

Maybe he feels that wiht damp/shawn/jkiddo out there, he just needs more offense starting. When it was gooden/shawn/jkiddo it was more balanced.

It is a quandry however..
Gooden and Beaubois should start. Kidd needs more scoring in the starting lineup to go around him as he can't be expected to score much.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #134
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Gooden and Beaubois should start. Kidd needs more scoring in the starting lineup to go around him as he can't be expected to score much.
Gooden should start? Look, I'm disappointed about his decreased production as well, but just because he's played good starting and not so well on the bench doesn't mean he should start. Dampier has played like a beast and deserves to start each game. Gooden should get his act together and find a way to produce even if he's coming off the bench.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #135
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Gooden should start? Look, I'm disappointed about his decreased production as well, but just because he's played good starting and not so well on the bench doesn't mean he should start. Dampier has played like a beast and deserves to start each game. Gooden should get his act together and find a way to produce even if he's coming off the bench.
I'm sure he is trying. He just can't get in the flow of the game as a backup. Dampier hasn't been playing that great lately either. He is missing passes by Kidd. That is crucial to the offense for him to catch the ball. He is also struggling to keep up with these athletic teams. Memphis gave him troubles. And Beaubois has to start for this team to have enough speed on the court. They look slow and old with Terry in there. They also sit around the perimeter. Terry is important for the bench for scoring and to cut down Barea's minutes. lol
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #136
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are arguing for Jet to NOT start, then okay, but the rest of your argument is all over the place. Dampier didn't have problems with memphis imo, Dirk had problems with Randolph (24points and 15 rebounds). When damp went out in the first the grizzlies went on a 21-2 run. Drew was there and didnt' do squat.

Marc Gasol (who damp was covering) had 6 points total which is about 9 points below his average and 5 rebounds which is also about 4 below his average. Dampier ate up Gasol.

Gooden played a straight 14 minute stint late into the 4th. If he cannot get it going then, then he never will. Damp had 4 blocks in the same time as gooden which is o' about 400% more than drew got in the same time.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #137
cinemablend

Bottom line though, if Howard isn't starting then Beaubois should be. There's no good reason at this point to start anyone else. Maybe if Ross gets healthy in certain special situations you might start him for defensive purposes, but otherwise Beaubois should start. Nothing else makes any sense. He's earned the spot.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #138
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Rodrigue Beaubois stagnation thread
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #139
cinemablend

Now there's talk of starting Barea again instead??

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2319

Seriously, this is madness. Has Carlisle not watched Barea play lately? In what world is he a better starting 2 guard option than Beaubois? I'm not saying Roddy's ready to carry the team and 30 minutes but he's given them exactly what they need to start games almost every time he's started in those limited specific minutes.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #140
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
If you are arguing for Jet to NOT start, then okay, but the rest of your argument is all over the place. Dampier didn't have problems with memphis imo, Dirk had problems with Randolph (24points and 15 rebounds). When damp went out in the first the grizzlies went on a 21-2 run. Drew was there and didnt' do squat.

Marc Gasol (who damp was covering) had 6 points total which is about 9 points below his average and 5 rebounds which is also about 4 below his average. Dampier ate up Gasol.

Gooden played a straight 14 minute stint late into the 4th. If he cannot get it going then, then he never will. Damp had 4 blocks in the same time as gooden which is o' about 400% more than drew got in the same time.
Alright I'm not saying Gooden has to play a lot of minutes. I just think he is better used as a starter and can be benched quickly if not producing similar to Beaubois. Dampier seemed to enjoy coming off the bench from what I remember.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #141
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Now there's talk of starting Barea again instead??

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2319

Seriously, this is madness. Has Carlisle not watched Barea play lately? In what world is he a better starting 2 guard option than Beaubois? I'm not saying Roddy's ready to carry the team and 30 minutes but he's given them exactly what they need to start games almost every time he's started in those limited specific minutes.
Worked out pretty well, no?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #142
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone think it would be good to send roddy to the dleague to strengthen his skills? With Howard back he won't be doing much here...

Quote:
Howard’s return figures to cut into Beaubois’ minutes

While the Mavericks wait to find out exactly what they look like with a healthy roster, don’t start wondering about Roddy Beaubois’ future just yet. It’s not in Albuquerque, N.M.

Though playing time has been virtually non-existent in the last two games, and with Josh Howard looking much sharper now than a month ago, it appears that the rookie guard will be the odd man out when it comes to playing time – for now.

But that doesn’t mean the Mavericks have plans to get him a spot in the NBDL so that he can work on his game. Not yet anyway.

"We haven’t even talked about that," president Donnie Nelson said.

The Mavericks still value Beaubois’ ability to play good defense and provide athleticism and scoring that still could come in quite handy from time to time.

They don’t want to farm out those talents just to give Beaubois a chance to gain seasoning. They believe there will be chances for that here, even with the roster getting fuller.

These are called growing pains for a young player. But it’s better to learn lessons like this and grow as a player than get fast-tracked into a tough situation and, perhaps, bad habits.

Everybody still loves Beaubois’ future. The Mavericks are doing the right thing not rushing him. — Eddie Sefko
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1817596.html
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #143
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Nah I want him staying around the team. Screw D-League.
(I still believe he is a better defensive option than Barea, but Carlisle obviously thinks differently)

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 12-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #144
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps RC just wants to avoid bringing him along too fast. I am a huge Roddy fan, but I can see how starting, and scoring 8 or 9 1st quarter points could swell a kids head. I think RC is trying to make sure he stays grounded.
I think it was great coaching to use Howard's injury to give the kid minutes with the starters so he could get a feel of the real NBA, playing against the other team's best. With Josh back, he's likely to be limited to garbage time. But at least now the coach knows more about what RoBeau's skills and deficits are. I expect the plan is to bring him along slowly, and have him be useful as a spark off the bench by playoff time. I'd be happy with that.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #145
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

David Thorpe has a different kind of rookie rankings up today on ESPN. He's ranking every rookie's potential upside (that has played, Griffin is not included). He's not ranking them based on their likelihood to reach their potential, just simply on a fantasy scenario where every ounce of potential is fulfilled, who turns out to be the best player.

And our little Robo came in fifth. He is behind Earl Clark (Thorpe is VERY skeptical that he'll even approach his full potential), Tyreke Evans, Thabeet (again very skeptical) and Brandon Jennings.

Here is the writeup on Roddy:

Quote:
5. Rodrigue Beaubois, Mavericks

One of the tricks that scouts use to evaluate upside is the "Who does he play like?" game. For most guys, it's easy; for others, not so much. (See LeBron James.) I think Beaubois falls into the latter category because of his unusual size and skill set -- he has a gigantic wingspan to go with a set of jet engines for legs.

If Beaubois can learn to shoot, that alone will help him become an impact player on this level. But what he needs to improve most are his basketball instincts and feel while using experience to counteract any problems with his instincts. For example, he needs to learn to pick his driving and passing spots better. If he can do that and have more of a rebounding impact, he'll look a lot like Rajon Rondo. Not even five players in the 2009 draft who have played this season can measure up to that.
Full article (Insider only)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #146
tcat075
Diamond Member

It kills me that this team could easily find some minutes for Roddy yet it chooses not to, while at the same time refuses to let him play at the D-League level. Make a choice: either play him (provided he's effective) on the NBA level, or let him play on the D-League level. Don't leave him on the bench so he can be a 8 second defensive substitution (and not even use him defensively at the end of games). He's held his own against other NBA players, but just because he has doesn't mean that d-league experience wouldn't be good for him.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #147
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
It kills me that this team could easily find some minutes for Roddy yet it chooses not to, while at the same time refuses to let him play at the D-League level. Make a choice: either play him (provided he's effective) on the NBA level, or let him play on the D-League level. Don't leave him on the bench so he can be a 8 second defensive substitution (and not even use him defensively at the end of games). He's held his own against other NBA players, but just because he has doesn't mean that d-league experience wouldn't be good for him.
He's gotten plenty of burn already. Way more than they expected before the season, I suspect.

If the roster is ever fully healthy (meaning Josh is playing every night and Ross is healthy) they may very well send him to the DLeague.

Right now they're still not healthy enough, and don't discount the experience he's getting in practice.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #148
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
He's gotten plenty of burn already. Way more than they expected before the season, I suspect.

If the roster is ever fully healthy (meaning Josh is playing every night and Ross is healthy) they may very well send him to the DLeague.

Right now they're still not healthy enough, and don't discount the experience he's getting in practice.
That's true, I'm sure it helps to spend each day learning from future HOF's like Dirk and Kidd. Its probably not even possible to hang around those guys and not pick up something new about basketball each day.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #149
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Carlisle is just not a very smart coach. It has nothing to with worrying about Roddy getting too big of head. It has to do with he honestly thinks Barea is better.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #150
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Carlisle is just not a very smart coach. It has nothing to with worrying about Roddy getting too big of head. It has to do with he honestly thinks Barea is better.
You're just not a very smart person, making a statement like that. RC is one of the most intelligent coaches in the league, and the fact that we are sitting at 15-7 with injuries out the ass to our starters. RC knows what he's doing, trust the man. If we don't see improvement in Roddy by the end of the year, THEN you can say that RC coached poorly in this CERTAIN situation. But by no means can you just flat out call Rick a "not very smart coach", that is just ignorance at its finest.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #151
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforlife09 View Post
You're just not a very smart person, making a statement like that. RC is one of the most intelligent coaches in the league, and the fact that we are sitting at 15-7 with injuries out the ass to our starters. RC knows what he's doing, trust the man. If we don't see improvement in Roddy by the end of the year, THEN you can say that RC coached poorly in this CERTAIN situation. But by no means can you just flat out call Rick a "not very smart coach", that is just ignorance at its finest.
Alright he might be a great motivator but what is he doing playing Barea at the end of the game on defensive situations? It almost cost us the game. And this team is very talented. That is why we are 15-7. And rotations get smaller in the playoffs. RC is most likely not going to play Roddy in the playoffs as he is playing some of theses games like it is a playoff game with 8 players only. All this despite Roddy badly outplaying Barea. I guess we'll have to wait until next year for RC to free Roddy.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 12-10-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #152
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

What a combo on defense.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #153
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i'd like to give RC the benefit of the doubt. we arent there for practice. im all for making him earn his minutes- but it really seems like Roddy should indeed be getting more minutes. he's played pretty well and we can really use his perimeter defense. hope its not a re-run of the egotistical coach trying to teach the young prodigy a lesson. over and over. that grates in a hurry. let him learn and play through his mistakes. we happen to desperately need exactly the skill set he brings. let him guard Nash etc. now. we may need him to come playoff time...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #154
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

I was also worried something could be going on behind the scenes and was secretly conjecturing a lot, but now Tim MacMahon says he's not in the doghouse and far away from being sent to the D-league and I'm deeply relieved and glad I kept the wild guesses for myself:

Quote:
Beaubois to battle Barea for playing time

DALLAS -- Don't assume that Rodrigue Beaubois' recent, drastic reduction in playing time is proof that the rookie landed in coach Rick Carlisle's doghouse.

Carlisle is pleased with Beaubois' progress since the Mavs made a trade to acquire him with the 25th overall pick in the draft.

"He's taken such quantum leaps since June that it's not even funny," Carlisle said. "He's helped us win games."

The Mavs went 9-3 with the electrifying but raw 21-year-old guard filling in for Josh Howard in the starting lineup. But Beaubois suddenly has a hard time getting off the bench, playing a total of 12 seconds in the last two games.

Carlisle benched Beaubois, who is averaging 5.7 points on 52-percent shooting in 12.2 minutes per game, for Saturday's loss to the Atlanta Hawks in part because the coach was concerned with the starting lineups' recent production. Howard returned the next game, so minutes will be tough for Beaubois to earn.

Howard and Jason Terry will get the vast majority of minutes at shooting guard. Beaubois and J.J. Barea will battle for the scraps at shooting guard and to play about 15 minutes per night behind Jason Kidd at point guard.

"It's going to be competitive between Roddy and J.J. for minutes," Carlisle said. "That backup position is going to be a competitive position, and that's great. It's great for both of those guys, because it will make them better and it will make our team better."

Beaubois might be the Mavs' point guard of the future, but he's barely played that position in games this season. It's tough for a Western Conference contender to trust a kid who played in a lower-level European league last season to be the primary ball-handler and decision-maker on the floor.

Barea is a fourth-year veteran who proved last season that he can be a quality backup point guard. He earned the confidence of coaches and teammates.

"The advantage would definitely go to J.J. because he's been in the league and he's played in big games -- just the experience factor," Kidd said. "But that's going to push J.J., knowing that he has someone on his heels, and that gives the rook a little incentive to show coach, 'Hey, I deserve some minutes out there.' It's all right to have friendly competition."

Carlisle, who believes Beaubois will benefit greatly from his recent stretch as a starter, stressed that there will be occasions that the rookie can contribute even if he doesn't beat out Barea. For example, Beaubois could be asked to defend an ultra-quick point guard or get on the floor when Carlisle needs 3-point threats.

"From a situational standpoint, he's different than any other guy we've got," Carlisle said. "There will be times when he'll be the best guy we can put in there."

Beaubois, who spends hours a week working one-on-one with player development coach Monte Mathis, understands the deal. He's focused on consistent improvement, not how many minutes he plays.

"I have to keep working," Beaubois said. "That's the only thing to do. I'm going to work harder. I have to be ready when the opportunity comes."

That's how Beaubois can keep his coach happy with him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/col...tim&id=4733285

Last edited by mavErika; 12-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #155
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Just based on all the material out there about Dirk struggling to adapt to the league his first year, and in general the adjustment period that rookies face (let alone international ones), I'm sadly going to have to temper my expectations for this season. Which sucks, because when I see him on the court.. he looks like he could be really special.

Based on all the literature out there on his upside, and our limited sample size where he has demonstrated his athleticism, driving ability, defensive presence, and shooting ability, this pick already looks, in value, a lot more like Josh Howard than Maurice Ager. If he realizes his potential, these sorts of decisions are the ones that keep a franchise relevant.

I don't think I added anything substantive with this post. But I just really needed a place to voice my exuberance for French Cuffs and my satisfaction with the organization.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #156
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

What do you guys think would be the best thing for him right now? D-league? Or the practices, and Kidd's presence is more valuable to him? I'm a little worried, because i don't remember the last time we had a project like him? Maybe Devin, but i think Roddy has more potential. He's just as fast and quick, he has a better vertical, an unreal wingspan, a much better shooter, and i also think he has better hand-eye coordination and court vision as well. Just really a great, great prospect. So what do we do with him?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #157
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

No way in hell d-league. He learns more from daily practice with Kidd, good coaches and in a veteran atmosphere than in a crappy d-league game.

He gave the answer: ""I have to keep working," Beaubois said. "That's the only thing to do. I'm going to work harder. I have to be ready when the opportunity comes."

Last edited by sefant77; 12-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #158
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
What do you guys think would be the best thing for him right now? D-league? Or the practices, and Kidd's presence is more valuable to him? I'm a little worried, because i don't remember the last time we had a project like him? Maybe Devin, but i think Roddy has more potential. He's just as fast and quick, he has a better vertical, an unreal wingspan, a much better shooter, and i also think he has better hand-eye coordination and court vision as well. Just really a great, great prospect. So what do we do with him?
D-League would be a huge plus for Roddy. I look back and see what it did for JJ Berea, who played sparingly with the Mavs, went to D-League, dominated that league and then came back and continued to improve his game, by also actually contributing to the team.

Personally, I do believe there is some help and development had by sitting the bench and absorbing from watching others play, but it is secondary to actually getting minutes on the court. D-League would be the best solution for Roddy at this time.

Perhaps he goes to the D-League for a few weeks or a couple of months...bring em back to the Mavs in Feb/Mar time frame and see if he can be a bit role player off the end of the bench. See if he developes enough in D-League to get 5-10 minutes of action at the NBA level as they go down the stretch drive...spelling a break for Kidd and Terry, without hurting the club.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #159
cinemablend

RIP Roddy B.

Can't even find 5 minutes a game for him. Idiotic.

Has Carlisle confused him with Gerald Green? Because he's no Gerald Green. Lightyears better, right off the bat.

Last edited by cinemablend; 12-24-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #160
dude1394
Guru

I think he might as well go down to the d-league. He's not getting time at all and if they want him to run the point, he needs that. He also needs to get beat up in the nba quite a bit to get used to it.

I thought he would be getting some spot duty, but RC is pretty concerned about this core groups inability to score worth a ****. IMO he's trying really hard to find some consistency but he's not getting it.

He'll probably continue to drive them to see if gooden is worth keeping for example or if the core has what it takes to make the run. The rest of the development is secondary to winning it all.

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid