Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terry - D + HHHHHHH (Fence)

Quote:
LINK

Super-sub Terry carving new niche with defense

Posted Nov 17 2009 2:15PM
When you think of Jason Terry, you think of defense. Not first, of course. Maybe not even second. More like 47th on any list of things that spring to mind about the Dallas Mavericks' veteran combo guard and, even then, it traditionally has been along the lines of "Does he ever play any?" Well, this year, the answer is yes. Known almost exclusively as an offensive threat -- one potent enough last season (19.6 ppg, 167 three-pointers) to earn the NBA's Sixth Man Award -- Terry noticeably has hitched up his defensive effort so far this season. In so doing, he has typified and contributed to Dallas' tactics in its 8-3 start.
Terry -- long considered one of the league's most effervescent and quick-to-smile players -- can't completely convince you that he enjoys getting stops as much as hitting shots. Like the 15-footer he sank from the wing to force overtime in Dallas' eventual victory at Milwaukee on Monday night. Or the countless clutch shots Terry has taken and made since arriving as the 10th overall pick in 1999 (hey, same as Brandon Jennings, a decade removed). But when a 10-year veteran in a role heavily tilted toward offense cleans things up at the other end of the floor, at least through the season's first three weeks, it's worth noting. And talking about. I caught up with Terry during a four-game trip in which the Mavericks held opponents to an average of 90.8 points.

NBA.com: So is this a case of an old dog learning a new trick?

Jason Terry: Not really. It's more about me doing what my teammates need for us to be successful. I'm a guy who's looked upon to score, but if the guys see me out there aggressively D-ing up, they get juiced up. Coach has made that a point. He addressed it in training camp, and that's something I'm concentrating on every night to do. Make an impact on the game defensively.NBA.com: The Mavericks have shaved about five points off their defensive average from last season [down from 99.8 to 94.6]. Basketball purists will love that. But this is a franchise that has been known for offense. Is it as satisfying, though, to win games when you're not simply outscoring the other guys?

JT:
No question. It's a great feeling. And it's something we're trying to get accustomed to [laughs]. It'll take a minute. But it definitely feels good. In our wins, we've been successful because we've gotten stops. Even in our losses, we've had stretches where we've played outstanding defense. There's no question the key to our success -- we definitely want to make shots, that's what we do best -- but defensively, we've all gotten better. That's a credit to Erick Dampier in the middle. He's averaging three or four blocks a game, rebounding his butt off. It allows us to get out and gamble a little more and get steals.

NBA.com:
So might we see you go from Sixth Man of the Year one season to Defensive Player of the Year the next?

JT:
Ha! I don't know, I wouldn't go that far. But I'm definitely going to try to get back to back Sixth Man.

NBA.com:
Only Detlef Schrempf [1992, '93] and Kevin McHale [1984, '85] ever did that. Ricky Pierce is the only other player to win Sixth Man more than once. You're OK with that as a goal?

JT:
I love it. Love it to death.

NBA.com:
A lot of players wouldn't. After your rookie season, you were almost exclusively a starter [531 starts in 563 appearances from 2000-01 through 2006-07]. When the Mavericks went to the Finals in 2006, you started [Terry and Dirk Nowitzki were the only Dallas players to start at least 80 games]. Is this a role you would have resisted earlier in your career?

JT:
Not at all. Going back to my college career, when we won the NCAA championship in '97, I was the sixth man. That was a great team -- Mike Bibby, Michael Dickerson, Miles Simon. So we had the guys who were starting and I took the back seat. Came off the bench, brought the same kind of energy, and it translated into a championship.

NBA.com:
I suppose there is one advantage -- you get to be in there with the second unit but you also get to be in there down the stretch. Most guys get minutes at crunch time or at garbage time but not both.

JT:
Yeah, 'cuz I'm basically a bench guy. I get to see the rhythm, the flow of the game and it actually helps defensively, because you can see where a guy's kind of lazy with a pass. Or the habits that they have. I use it to my advantage.

NBA.com:
You mentioned college, where you gained a reputation for your "rituals" or superstitions. Still have any?

JT:
No doubt. You've got to remember, I sleep in the opposing teams' game shorts the night before the game. So I've collected over the years every team's game shorts. Did it in college. Slept in my uniform the night before the Final Four game and we won, so I've been doing it ever since.

NBA.com:
Is this like Michael Jordan wearing a pair of North Carolina shorts under his Bulls uniform?

JT:
No. Just sleep in 'em. Night before. It's working out. Staying with it!

NBA.com:
The other thing that doesn't get talked about in your career is your durability. [Terry jammed his left index finger earlier that evening and, after precautionary X-rays, had it in a padded sleeve in the locker room afterward.] You played in 800 of a possible 820 games prior to this season and missed only eight of those last season with a broken left hand. You're not exactly the most strapping guy [6-foot-2, 180]. What's the secret?

JT:
It goes to my training program. We have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in Robert Hackett. Whatever he's doing every summer, I'm with him, and I've been very durable. Even when I was in Atlanta, I've been very blessed not to have any major injuries.

NBA.com:
Same way in high school and college?

JT:
I don't remember missing any games in college and I dang sure know I didn't miss any in high school. Health in this business is precious. A lot of guys miss a lot of games. But I'm one of those guys who, if it ain't a bone stickin' out or I can't walk or I'm not missing a foot, I'm out there.

NBA.com:
You started out cold tonight. For a shooter, what's the key to playing through that?

JT:
That's when your defensive instincts kick in. "Lemme get a steal, lemme get a layup, lemme get a put-back, lemme get something." That's what happened for me tonight -- I was 0-for-3 and then I got a breakaway steal and layup. Those are the little nuances of the game that you've got to focus on -- especially when your jump shot ain't going.

NBA.com:
With the All-Star Weekend in Dallas this season, how much would you like to be involved?

JT:
Ah, man, I'm tremendously excited. The fans in the city of Dallas deserve it. What could be better than to be a part of it in any way, fashion or form? Done the 3-point contest. I'd love to do that again. Mascot, sell popcorn, whatever they want me to do, I'll be involved.

NBA.com:
Mascot? Somehow I believe you. You went to the Great Wall of China last summer and did a video for this Web site. You offered to give Shawn Marion your No. 31 when he came to Dallas this season. You do seem to have more fun at this than some guys.

JT:
Aw, you've got to love this. This is something you've watched as a kind growing up and now you're here. I'm still a fan at heart. So if I'm not out there playing, I'm watching.

NBA.com:
Spoken like a true Sixth Man winner.
Well I'll be d*mmed...

Oh sick--Terry 12th in the league in steals!?...are we witnessing change here, fellas?

(Clickthrough the link for a vid of a different Terry interview if you're bored...)

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 11-18-2009 at 02:05 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I have ragged on Terry--and brutha, I have ragged on Terry--he's a hard personality not to like. I still think he's "fake tough" when he tries to be tough, but that's probably immaterial. I do believe that he genuinely tries to do whatever he is told to do, and that's what matters.

When it comes to defense, I don't think size or even skill matters a whole lot relatively. It's all about two things: A) want to, and B) know how. If defense is important to you as a guard, and you know how to do it, you will fill passing lanes and change angles for penetrators and sometimes take a charge. It's the reason guys like JJB and Nash can stay on the court. You can play defense with your mind as well as you can with your body. If Terry can do it, he is all the more valuable a player.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What is interesting is that for me, Terry looks like this is his best season as a Mav so far even though his shooting percentages are down.

Why?

"Lemme get a steal, lemme get a layup, lemme get a put-back, lemme get something."

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Jet has always been a crowd favorite, with his jet takeoff getting the crowd going. Great to see him trying to elevate his total game.

There is something about the team this year that is hard for me put my finger on, but it sure does seem that this a TEAM. We will of course have some dips and valleys this season, but I think this will be a very surprising year not just for some of the fans, but to a lot of outsiders.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I like the JET. I just hope his defensive enthusiasm holds up. In Dirk, Kidd, and Carlisle I trust.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
Jet has always been a crowd favorite, with his jet takeoff getting the crowd going. Great to see him trying to elevate his total game.

There is something about the team this year that is hard for me put my finger on, but it sure does seem that this a TEAM. We will of course have some dips and valleys this season, but I think this will be a very surprising year not just for some of the fans, but to a lot of outsiders.
It does seem that way and I think because it was a pretty decent turnover of old holdouts and a recommittment it appears to me to actually TRY to win a championship versus paying it lip service. The last few years they were still living on the fantasy that the 67 win team would show up one day and be better, instead of proactively making the team better.

Also the addition of athleticism to this team cannot be overlooked. Roddy, Shawn, Drew, QRoss, Humphries are a much more athletic, young energetic bunch than before.

Lastly RCarlisle is firmly ensconced here and the learning time is over. He is focused on the right things and focused in an intelligent manner, not in a psychotic screaming manner. He lets his assistants run the defense and offense...wow...what a concept... Something the littlest Napoleon could never do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the very first thing that JET says is untrue. I think he has learned a new trick. The way he plays the passing lanes and gambles is something I haven't seen him do very much at all in the past. I don't think he just decided to start doing this because he has always been about what is gonna help the team. I'm not knocking him because I love what he's doing, and he's doing it consistently. Surely some sort of offseason program or something had to have taken place. Either way Keep it up JET.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
As much as I have ragged on Terry--and brutha, I have ragged on Terry--he's a hard personality not to like. I still think he's "fake tough" when he tries to be tough, but that's probably immaterial. I do believe that he genuinely tries to do whatever he is told to do, and that's what matters.
Amen. I've criticized him as much as anyone, but you can't deny he's got a great attitude.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Other than Dirk's play, I would submit that Terry's attitude has been the most consistently positive force on this team for the last 5 years.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
cchriswake
Banned

cchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these parts

Jet's been great in the passing lanes this year, backing up his words from the Summer about focusing on the defensive intensity.
Also, good dude personally and an overall great guy.. the only thing that made me doubt him for a second when he was traded here for Walker was his shot selection, but proved me wrong
cchriswake is offline   Reply With Quote