Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-14-2003, 11:24 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wright gets nod as Ravens' starting QB

Wright gets nod as Ravens' starting QB

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
November 12, 2003
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Anthony Wright will start at quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, jumping from third string to replace the injured Kyle Boller.

Wright's start against the Miami Dolphins will be his first since October 2001, when he played in four games with the Dallas Cowboys before a knee injury landed him on injured reserve.

Ravens coach Brian Billick said Wednesday that Wright's mobility in the pocket earned him the job over Chris Redman, who was sacked five times and fumbled twice in relief of Boller in a 33-22 loss to St. Louis on Sunday night.

``That's a tough situation for Chris, but the reason we're going with Anthony Wright is that right now Anthony's physical attributes fit better with what we're doing,'' Billick said. ``That's not Chris' fault; it's just a matter of Anthony's athleticism. That's the primary thing. He fits more with what we do in both our running and passing game.''

Wright or Redman, it makes no difference to the Dolphins, who are preparing for a clash with the NFL's leading rusher, Jamal Lewis, and the league's top-ranked running game.

``It's not going to change our preparation a bit,'' Miami linebacker Junior Seau said. ``They have a great running back in Jamal, and he's going to be our focal point.''

Wright is the 10th quarterback to start for the Ravens since Billick arrived in 1999. During his last run as a starter, Wright stepped in for Quincy Carter and went 1-2 for the Cowboys.

``I feel like I'm back in Dallas now,'' he said. ``I think I can take the experiences I had in Dallas and bring them over here.''

Wright spent the entire season on the Baltimore bench in 2002. He began the year as the third-stringer behind Jeff Blake and Redman, who started the first six games before a back injury forced him out for the rest of the season.

Boller, a first-round draft pick in April, beat out Redman and Wright for the starting job this summer. The rookie started nine games through Sunday, when a leg injury prompted his exit at halftime.

Boller underwent surgery on a torn quadriceps muscle on Tuesday and is expected to be sidelined at least four weeks.

``It was great news when they told me I could be back before the end of the year,'' Boller said Wednesday.

For now, Ray Lucas, who was signed Tuesday, will be the third-stringer behind Redman.

``Anthony is our starter, Chris will be prepared to come in if called upon -- just like any backup has to -- and we'll try to get Ray Lucas ready in case disaster hits,'' Billick said.

Redman played the role of a dutiful backup behind Boller, and that won't change now -- despite the disappointment over being shunned in favor of Wright.

``I'm not going to get my head down. I have to keep battling because the opportunity may present itself again, and I have to be ready,'' he said.

Redman ruined his chance to start by struggling against the Rams, accounting for three of the Ravens' seven turnovers and generating very little offense in the second half.

``It wasn't like I was real nervous. My timing was off a little bit,'' he said.

Wright has five NFL starts and has played in eight games over a five-year career. He's completed 70 of 151 passes for 766 yards, with five touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Now, after toting a clipboard as the No. 3 quarterback, Wright is responsible for carrying the Baltimore offense.

``If I had never started, it would be hard for me to imagine, but I've started before,'' he said. ``I've been in tougher situations than this. It's just the nature of the business.''

If he keeps handing the ball to Lewis, avoids oncoming linemen and keeps his miscues to a minimum, Wright will maintain the job at least until Boller returns.

``I understand the weapons we have, offensively and defensively,'' he said. ``It's been hard, not playing. Obviously, everybody wants to play. Now, I'm being given the chance to play and I'm going to try to make the best of it.''

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wright gets nod as Ravens' starting QB

Good to see him land on his feet after the way the Cowboys treated him.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Wright gets nod as Ravens' starting QB

I liked him a few times when he was here.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Wright gets nod as Ravens' starting QB

What no Jeff George or Chris ODonnel? Anthony Wright has some talent, the perfect system to land into the NFL's leading rusher Jamal Lewis hes on pace for over 2,000 yards. All Wright has to do is manage the offense.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

As an ex-cowboy, I don't mind rooting for this guy. I hope he succeeds.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Well good for Wright - I always liked him.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Jub Jub would be proud

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
What no Jeff George or Chris ODonnel? Anthony Wright has some talent, the perfect system to land into the NFL's leading rusher Jamal Lewis hes on pace for over 2,000 yards. All Wright has to do is manage the offense.
I live in the Baltimore area and I think Wright will do fine. Boller was pretty bad, but he is a rookie so that is expected. I was really surprised when the coach didn't bring in a veteran to run this team. I said in preseason that the Ravens are a super bowl contender if they get solid play from their QB. Their defense is scary good. Not as good as their super bowl year, but I would take this years defense over anyone else in the league. On offense, Jamal Lewis is a horse. Plus their back up isn't too shabby either. The Ravens need Wright to manage the offense and make 1-2 big plays per game. The defense and Jamal will take care of the rest.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote