Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Thumbs down Cleveland VS Washington Thread

I started to watch game 1, but as the game began the NBA coverage suddenly switched over to the East Coast Bricklayer Convention 2006.

Washington's bigs were having their way inside against Cleveland on the offensive glass.

Washington in 6.

Lebron for MVP....please....

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 04-22-2006 at 02:27 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

this game sucks
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Bron came to play - 19 pts. on 50% FG, 5 rebs, 7 asts...at halftime.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

this series is just a matchup of mediocre teams...be ready for "exciting" mediocre basketball.. By exciting, I mean that washington will win their home games and then Cleveland will win in game 7.

One thing is for sure...Whoever comes out of this is going to be an appetizer for Detroit.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Washington is fading....Cleveland will run away with this one. I mean Donyell Marshall is exerting his will at this point.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Bron came to play - 19 pts. on 50% FG, 5 rebs, 7 asts...at halftime.
I hope Dirk can bring home the MVP this season because I have a feeling that Labron is going to be the favorite for the next decade.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Marshall now has 17 points in 16 minutes. wow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

I had to mute the TV, the Cleveland PA announcer is sooooo loud and annoying.

CLeveland is definately sending a message to the Wizards, you will lose.

Gil is not shooting that well, first game jitters? But you know Gil will be taking names and improve for the next game.
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

triple deuce

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

When is Hubie Brown going to retire?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Did I say Washington in 6?

Well what I meant to say was errrr' Cleveland in 4.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Clevland in 6.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Man this is the kind of media-hero-worship that makes me gag when I hear some of these guys and hope they break a leg or something.

So I'm watching the highlights of the cleveland/washington game.

- Lebron in first playoff
BEGIN
- Lebron Scores
- Lebron dishes
REPEAT UNTIL END.

Not a single, solitary point was scored by washington OR an assist or play made by anyone but king bron-bron. Gag me, gag me.

Even though some guy named Arenas scored 26 points.

God I hope cleveland is bounced from the playoffs so I don't have to have bron-bron shoved down my throat.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Man this is the kind of media-hero-worship that makes me gag when I hear some of these guys and hope they break a leg or something.

So I'm watching the highlights of the cleveland/washington game.

- Lebron in first playoff
BEGIN
- Lebron Scores
- Lebron dishes
REPEAT UNTIL END.

Not a single, solitary point was scored by washington OR an assist or play made by anyone but king bron-bron. Gag me, gag me.

Even though some guy named Arenas scored 26 points.

God I hope cleveland is bounced from the playoffs so I don't have to have bron-bron shoved down my throat.
It really does get tiring when all you hear about is one player. Unfortunatley it's going to be that way with Lebron for a long time to come

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Arenas outplays LeBron and the Wiz win game two. So far in two games, Larry Hughes is shooting 6-25 against his old team... yikes! Much-liked former Mav Antawn bounces back from a bad game to put up 20 and 6.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #16
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

LeBron almost with a Tripple Double again too bad one of the categories was TO. And missing that 3 at the end wasn't helping either. I so hope for him to just lose all the next three games and be out of the playoff picture.

Last edited by NXperience; 04-25-2006 at 09:03 PM.
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Man I thought Arenas was going to blow that one. He's coming down less than a minute jacking up 3s with 15 seconds on the shot clock and nobody under the board.

I still wonder if all of the highlights will be of bron-bron. Probably.

Bron-bron bites his lip.
Bron-bron with head down after losing HCA.
Bron-bron slinking off to locker room after losing the game by missing fts.

Boo stinkin' hoo. Hope they are swept.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-25-2006 at 09:47 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Arenas outplays LeBron and the Wiz win game two. So far in two games, Larry Hughes is shooting 6-25 against his old team... yikes! Much-liked former Mav Antawn bounces back from a bad game to put up 20 and 6.
Pretty much everyone that suited up outplayed LeBron.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Larry Hughes is quickly approaching Allan Houston as one of the worst contracts ever.

Injury prone and Flip Murray is a better player than him.

Riddle me this --

If a team has cap space and signs players to reach the salary cap, is the idea to simply make the playoffs and get crushed, or is it to become a CONTENDER? In Cleveland's case, it seems to be the former. They went out and spent all their money on mediocrity.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:18 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

well....we're about to have a non-post MVP who can't be counted on to hit from beyond 16ft.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #21
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, from watching ESPN I thought Bron Bron was the second coming of Christ. I guess they were wrong.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness, the shot James just made with six seconds late rivals any sort of around-the-rim theatrics I've ever seen. Wow.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #23
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

what a game! I was hoping the Wiz would win, but oh well. nice showing by both James and Arenas.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM   #24
rakesh.s
Golden Member

wiz got robbed tonight..Lebron shuffled his feet on that go ahead bucket

and it looked like his previous bucket should've been a jump ball.

looks like the lebron rules are slowly coming into play...they're trying to force-feed this guy to us.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
My goodness, the shot James just made with six seconds late rivals any sort of around-the-rim theatrics I've ever seen. Wow.
Sure, except that it was a travel. He jump stopped and then took a step...wtf?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #26
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Sure, except that it was a travel. He jump stopped and then took a step...wtf?
he actually jump stopped and then took 2 steps. it was ridiculous.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who doubts LeBron is only 21? Kid looks 25 to me.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
he actually jump stopped and then took 2 steps. it was ridiculous.
Wow, I've been out of pocket so I missed this video replay until just now.

I think he traveled three times.

He took one step and then jump stopped. That's a travel.

He took another step after a jump stop. That's another travel.

He lifted his pivot foot after coming to a stop. That's another travel.

I guess the most atrocious thing was that the announcers spent the whole time drooling over James like it was a great move without even acknowledging the possibility that, "Hey, that might have been a travel! Or three!"

The footage, for those who don't believe me:

Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

that is beyond ridiculous, KG. Thanks for the post.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #30
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I love what Lebron is doing in the playoffs!!!!

against the Wizards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I dunno about the first part. It was borderline, but I think it was a legal jumpstop. If nothing else, that move is done every night in the NBA without being called.

The two steps after the jump stop, however, are ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #32
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

actaully, a jump stop means both feet hit the floor at the sme time. From there he can take 2 steps. Actually he can take 2 steps, then jump stop, and has to put up a shot or pass after that or jump stop and then take 2 steps. But in watching the video, he definately takes a step, then jump stops,then takes 2 steps. so definately a huge traveling violation.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You CANNOT jump stop and then take two steps 6-8. That is the purpose of it being called a jump STOP. You CAN declare either foot your pivot foot but you cant take any more steps. I also dont think you can take any steps and then jump stop. Basically the jump stop takes the place of your two steps the way i understand it. The problem is he took a step jump stopped and then took 2 more. Then he landed before he shot the ball. That is 4 travels.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-01-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

jthig32 - I agree with you about the first travel. That routinely happens in the NBA. It's still a travel, but it routinely happens.

68 - Your understanding of the rules is incorrect. In order to do a legal jump stop, you have to land with both feet at the same time, and you can't take any steps either before or after the jump stop, because it constitutes your two steps.

5-0 - You can't pivot after doing a jump stop.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #35
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Hrmm good to know. i thought that you could use one pivot foot if you jump stopped but ill take your word for it. Oh well makes it even worse.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I just looked the rule up at NBA.com. If you land with both feet on the floor at the same time (a jump stop) you can use either foot as a pivot foot, but you have to release the shot before you lift the pivot foot.

I swear that wasn't always the rule. They must have changed it for Shaq. Either way, I wanted to be completely accurate.

In this context, IF LeBron hadn't taken the first step before the jump stop, he would have been entitled to choose a pivot foot and use it, as long as he released the shot before lifting the pivot foot.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

my uncle used to ref and a jump stop allows you to move one unit (the jump) but forfeits your ability to pivot. It should be used only to get a shot off or to find extra room for a pass, etc. The only time you can land with two feet and choose a pivot foot is if you receive the ball while in the air and land both feet at the same time (beginning posession). I believe you start having a pivot foot once you land (or choose) and it follows you, alternating as you dribble

Maybe the NBA is different now, but I've seen a lot of players rebound or catch a pass in the air, land with one foot first and then pivot the other foot. I've also seen a lot of times a player will discontinue dribbling more than once, etc. The NBA is a little creative. And while we're talking about creative officiating did anyone else piss themselves a little when Nash didn't get the superstar call he was used to getting in the Lakers game?

Maybe KG is right, but I think that the rule is on start of posession and not on a jump step.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-01-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
my uncle used to ref and a jump stop allows you to move one unit (the jump) but forfeits your ability to pivot.
That's what I used to think, too, but that's not how the rule reads.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

that just seems too wrong to me. You can dribble, then jump which removes both feet from the ground, then choose which of the two is your pivot foot? Thats a complete reset of the grounding.

Well regardless, there are enough violations to call 2-3 travels on that play.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

There are 3 or 4 depending on if you think he landed before he shot or not. 1 step then jump stop. 1 travel. Takes a 2 steps. Another travel. Leaves both feet(whichever one is the pivot.) before he lands. Yet another travel. Lands before he lets go of the ball. Yet another travel.