Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute
Default google screws d-m.com

We got our account with Google AdSense (responsible for the text ad that used to appear at the top of the screen) terminated today due to "invalid clicks." All clicks/revenue made the last couple months will not be paid out and we can no longer participate in the AdSense program. What the hell??

It was only generating a few bucks a month but it at least helped with the hosting fees. Anyone know of any other decent ad companies? I sent in apps for Yahoo, Casale, and Kanoodle but don't really know much about any of them.

Last edited by djb; 02-28-2006 at 04:13 PM.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

This doesn't sound very legal. We don't have any recourse with regards to Google's termination of the account? It seems very arbitrary.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

What are "invalid clicks"? They have to define that somewhere.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Google's TOS basically state they can close any account for whatever reason. "Invalid clicks" is pretty sketchy and they won't reveal where those clicks are coming from. So basically anyone can keep clicking those ads and end up making us violate the TOS without our knowing it.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Yeah, I just read the Google TOS...what crap. This is a good site for learning more about contextual advertising.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-28-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

F' Google. Another example why their stock is falling.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Google programs pay the least anyway. It is probably for the best. I would look for some sort of affiliate program in a basketball related genre. You cnan find affiliate programs that in some cases pay 50% or more commisions. All you have to do is create a text add or banner on the site, and if someone clicks through and makes a purchase you get paid.

I don't know how comfortable you are with gambling sites, but there are plenty of possibilities for affiliate money there as well. A lot pay 30% or more for the life of the account. With as many uniques, it wouldn't take a lot of conversions to pay for your hosting.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I see the Google ads are back. They must have cut a check or somesuch?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

Good catch Doc, I was going to mention something as well.

The slugs at Google caved...I guess dm.com was just generating too many hits

WHITE SHADOW!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

No they won't be paying for the past couple months due to the "invalid activity" but they at least un-suspended our account after I sent an appeal form.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Dj, have you ever conisdered trying to make a few bucks off of this site. Now i am not talking about required meberships, or pop ups, but there are ways this site could pull in a little money to probably moree than cover the cost of hosting. I would start with YPN they pay much better for clicks. Just a thought.

I don't think anyone would be averse to adds similar to the google adds which YPN is. And I know I would not be upset if you actually made a couple of bucks instaed of spent it on hosting. Hell you started this board

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

This morning, on the main forum page, I keep getting a Google add to SpursReport.com.

Talk about getting screwed.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

dang I feel like I'm back in advanced math class and not able to understand a concept (happened a ton ).....what the heck is an invalid hit? Did they clarify dj?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Essenetially sike it is a hit they do not want to pay for with no apparent reason.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
dang I feel like I'm back in advanced math class and not able to understand a concept (happened a ton ).....what the heck is an invalid hit? Did they clarify dj?
There's quite a bit of "fraud" (and I use that term loosely) involved with click-oriented advertising. Sometimes web sites will have someone repeatedly click the ads, just to drive up the revenue generated from them. These are considered to be "invalid" clicks.

Another problem is that rival firms will sometimes have people repeatedly click the ads of their competitors just to drive up their advertising costs. These are also considered invalid clicks.

I highly doubt any of that was going on here, but that's what an "invalid" click is. Its basically any click that does not represent a consumer's genuine interest in the advertisement. I know that sounds shakey, but I think that's how internet advertisers would define it.

Google was recently involved in a major lawsuit involving click-fraud, so I'm sure they've been cancelling a bunch of accounts to try to cover their ass on this. I think they ended up paying out a pretty big settlement, but off-hand I don't remember the details.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-06-2006 at 11:05 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

This is a very good article about Google adsense:

The nonsense about AdSense

A couple of interesting lines from it:

A publisher's site may not have invalid clicks on any ad(s), including but not limited to clicks generated by:

"a publisher on his own web pages; a publisher encouraging others to click on his ads; automated clicking programs or any other deceptive software; a publisher altering any portion of the ad code or changing the layout, behavior, targeting, or delivery of ads for any reason."

Finally:

In the end, I decided not to bother chasing Google any more for the couple of hundred pounds they owed my company...
Instead, I decided to sign PinkNews up to Yahoo!'s pay per click programme, carefully noting the right to speak to a real human being, 24/7, if we were unhappy with the figures they provided.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info, mary and vjz.

no I know...and G.I. Joe taught me that knowing is half the battle.....unfortunately for me they never revealed what the other "half" of the battle was....so Ive been screwed by those jerks at Hasbro into losing every battle because I only have half of the required elements!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Which is why you will never be any more than half a Boy Scout.