Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default New HD Video System at the AAC

American Airlines Center Becomes First NHL and NBA Venue to Install 1080-Resolution Arena Display

The Stars sent out an email today previewing the new HD scoreboard and new HD screens at either end of the arena. Obviously this applies to the Mavs as well.

They've got some kind of lame video about it here: http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...actID=62187817

Quote:
Mavs/Stars fans, get ready for an upgrade to your season seats at American Airlines Center like you’ve never seen before. In fact – no hockey fans in America have seen this before!

American Airlines Center, home of the Dallas Stars and Dallas Mavericks, today announced plans to install the first and largest 1080 high-definition video replay system in an NHL and NBA venue in the country. Digital video throughout the arena bowl will be increased by over 300 percent with the addition of a new high-definition center scoreboard and two stadium-sized video displays that will dominate the upper end walls. The new video displays will be manufactured and installed this summer and ready for the 2009-2010 hockey and basketball seasons.

The new video system is being designed, manufactured and installed through a collaboration of Lighthouse Technologies Limited of Hong Kong and its U.S. affiliate, TS Sports. The system features four true 1080-resolution video screens in the center scoreboard. Each screen is designed to promote brightness, clarity and high-definition viewing quality through the use of the latest four millimeter light-emitting-diode (LED) technology, a 33 percent increase in resolution over existing LED displays currently installed in any arena.

What does this really mean? Quite simply, the experience of watching Dallas Stars games in-person just got better. The combination of witnessing the speed and power of NHL action is joined by the picture and sound quality of even the best home theater system available. It’s the best of both worlds, all in one place.

“The size and quality of these boards, coupled with the live-game experience, will make attending our games far superior than watching at home,” said Stars President Jeff Cogen. “High definition and 1080-resolution have greatly improved the at-home TV experience and now will be a part of Stars home games, giving our fans an incredible combination.”

The new generation audio system will have the ability to create custom audio effects. Featuring a state-of-the-art linear array speaker system with surround sound effects, the new audio system will also be installed this summer in time for the 2009-2010 NHL and NBA seasons.
Apparently they're replacing the ribbon display as well

Quote:
Also, a new 360 degree LED ribbon display will surround the interior of the arena bowl. The ribbon board will provide spectators with high resolution animations, graphics and game information. The timing of installation for the combination of state of the art video and audio will provide the ultimate showcase for the 2010 NBA All-Star weekend activities.
Sweet.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Cubes mentioned this in his podcast with Bill Simmons. He said they tried to figure out a way to do a slim HD board that ran the length of the court from above, but couldn't come up with a safe way to anchor it.

Still though, Cubes once again leads the pack in technology to make the fans happy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's not exactly what they've got over at Cowboy stadium, but they don't have the room...I'm surprised to hear them say that safety is the reason. I'm sure each league has height restrictions on how much vertical room is needed. They probably want to keep arena football in mind...the circus? concerts, etc, etc...

I am really looking forward to that first Stars pre-season game though. It will be nice to have a little change in game presentation and I am sure they will utilize these things to the max.

I hope they'll look great on TV for the NBA All-Star game as well.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Of course you realize....this means fans will have to see Chris Arnold's face in 1080i on those big screens. Not an attractive proposition.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I keep waiting for him to get fired. He got demoted from TV to "in arena hype man" in what, 2002? Who likes him? How can he be considered a productive employee?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris arnold brings "the hook-up".

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

What's going on at the AAC during the NBA Allstar game?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The dunk competition and all of that crap.

The actual game is at the new cowboy stadium.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Oh i had no idea, I thought everything was going to be at the Cowboys Stadium. Thanks for the reply

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds sexy, 'prolly going to check that out during my annual mavs game!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
I keep waiting for him to get fired. He got demoted from TV to "in arena hype man" in what, 2002? Who likes him? How can he be considered a productive employee?
Every season I get my season-ticket-holder survey, and every year, I rate this guy as low as I can and add substantial commentary about what a complete beating he is. Yet he still has a job. Why?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Every season I get my season-ticket-holder survey, and every year, I rate this guy as low as I can and add substantial commentary about what a complete beating he is. Yet he still has a job. Why?
Do you have a full season package? I've never gotten a survey and I've had half season tickets for going on 8 seasons. I'll gladly provide my evaluation of Chris if given the opportunity.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Do you have a full season package? I've never gotten a survey and I've had half season tickets for going on 8 seasons. I'll gladly provide my evaluation of Chris if given the opportunity.
I have two half-season packages, and they email me the survey link twice every year. Make sure they have your email address on file.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
pap0082

pap0082 is on a distinguished road

Awesome, maybe I'll get to a few games this year. Every year I tell myself that I'm going to pay attention to the Mavericks, and every year I fail to do so.
pap0082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah N/M the game, I'm going for the HD.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Sounds pretty exciting!

Like any of the stars "in game" personalities any more or less??? Ever give any feedback on them?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Celena Rae isn't great...but she's no Chris Arnold. That guy takes the (annoying) cake easily.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

nice.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

"Awesome. Awesome to the max."

untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I went to a Stars game tonight, and I am here to tell you guys...the new HD video boards do NOT disappoint. They were freaking great. I think the season ticket holders are really going to enjoy these things. I know I felt like all my money finally gave me some return tonight. Game presentation is GREATLY enhanced.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So do you want to watch the game on the monitors instead of the ice?
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

No, not at all. It's not obnoxious like jerryworld. But the value of the replays is infinitely better.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

what about the huge ones?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The wider screens at either end of the upper bowl are nice, I guess....an improvement on what was there, but the effect is lessened because they don't use them for one thing.

Even though it's one continuously long HD screen, the image is segmented into (ADVERTISEMENTS - STATS - VIDEO - STATS - ADVERTISEMENTS) 5 different sections, and the fragmentation of it doesn't do the screen any favors.

Every now and then they used those screens for only one graphic/animation and took the ads off it, and they looked pretty sweet then.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Yeah, it's not exactly what they've got over at Cowboy stadium, but they don't have the room...I'm surprised to hear them say that safety is the reason. I'm sure each league has height restrictions on how much vertical room is needed. They probably want to keep arena football in mind...the circus? concerts, etc, etc...
Actually the safety is in reference to the amount of weight the building can support. Apparently when you factor in third party events (concerts, etc) who bring their own lights/speaker arrays the weight was beyond what the engineers said it could support using the original design.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote