Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-30-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default [Ager] The perfect fit

The perfect fit

Rookie has impressed Mavs coaches with his skills and knowledge

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Streaking down the sideline, the ball came his way and Mavericks rookie Maurice Ager knew exactly what to do.

A couple of smooth dribbles, a couple of perfectly timed steps and he was off. It didn't matter that Andre Brown, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound power forward on the Spurs' summer league team, was between Ager and the rim.

The ball was going through. Hard.

After the slam that brought the crowd at the Salt Lake Community College Center to its feet, eliciting the kinds of oohs and ahs normally reserved for Kobe or McGrady or Wade, the brash rookie didn't dance.

No fist pump. No primal scream. No shimmy.

Sure, his teammates made plenty of noise from the bench, blending in with the spontaneous chorus of "Did you see that?" Ager simply got up, and almost in a what-did-you-expect fashion, walked to the line and nailed his free throw.

"Someday," Ager said simply and without pretense, "I want to be one of the great two-guards in the league."

Someday may or may not be a long way away, but Ager is determined to get there. The 28th pick in last month's NBA Draft is saying all the right things and, just weeks into his pro career, doing all the right things.

Mavs coaches were impressed with his work ethic and ability to pick up new concepts, but not surprised. A four-year career at collegiate power Michigan State under coach Tom Izzo prepared the Detroit native for whatever life would throw his way.

"There are things he's got to learn," said assistant Joe Prunty, the Mavs' summer league coach at the Rocky Mountain Revue. "He's very coachable and knowledgeable about the game. Now he needs to learn the NBA game.

"Know when to take shots. Know when not to take shots. How to chase on the screens. How to guard the pick-and-roll. We have been pleased with what we've seen. We need to see more. We also know we need to teach more."

Ager, 22, does fit the bill. He's 6-5, slightly more than 200 pounds, and has a definite air of confidence. Though his first two years in college were cut short by injury and the last two were disappointing to Spartans fans expecting a national championship, Ager developed into an influential team leader.

The demanding Izzo changed the Sunday practice schedule so Ager could attend church. Ager doesn't claim to be a choirboy. Poor citizenship kept him out of basketball just as he was getting good, though he was never much more than a class clown.

Mattie Ager, a single mother also raising two daughters, straightened Mo out. He hasn't strayed much since.

"My mom was tough on me, but I had a good childhood," he said. "I can't complain.

"That's why this is the perfect place for me. I come from a place where things aren't handed to you. That will help me in the long run."

Ager has already received a crash course in Avery Johnson, who checked in on summer league and ran a few practices during his visit. The General didn't need much time to leave an impression.

"He tells me things I need to work on and, of course, he's going to hit on a lot of negatives," Ager said of his new coach. "He's not going to tell me what I'm doing well. At the same time I know what I'm doing well. I appreciate the fact he's honest with me."

Ager put on a show at times in summer league. His talents were more evident on the offensive end in a setting that often disintegrates into one-on-one play.

In addition to his explosiveness and willingness to attack, Ager owns a deft outside touch and ability to square up to the basket. He's comfortable pulling up and shooting a 3-pointer in rhythm or spinning across the lane for a 15-footer.

"He's always been a good player," said former Mavs forward Rawle Marshall, who's also from Detroit and has known Ager since high school. "It's no coincidence he's here. He can do some things teams like."

Ager once compared himself to Seattle sharpshooter Ray Allen, while Izzo likened him to former Michigan State standout Jason Richardson. He's not either, yet, but if Ager eventually falls somewhere in the middle, he'll be a draft steal rivaling Josh Howard from three years ago.

The Mavs didn't work out Howard in 2003, thinking there was no way the Wake Forest star and ACC Player of the Year would fall to the end of the first round. Same story with Ager, who proved his mettle in the equally rugged Big Ten.

"I didn't think I would drop all the way to 28," Ager said. "It was very surprising. At the same time, I'm thankful to be here.

"Who's to say those teams that passed me are ones I would want to be with? I would rather go to a better team where I have an opportunity to be a great player versus go somewhere where the team is not as good and doesn't make the playoffs."

Ager watched the NBA Finals and made a couple of observations very familiar in North Texas.

"Dwyane Wade, flat out, they couldn't stop him," Ager said before reversing field. "The refs, of course, were bad. We just need to take care of business. Next year, hopefully, we can get over the hump.

"Hopefully, I can be that kind of player. Right now, I'm not going to say I can stop Dwyane Wade, but I can tell you I'll try my hardest. I won't mind being a stopper for this team."

Ager's ceiling and skill set made parting with three-year veteran guard Marquis Daniels that much easier. Greg Buckner is expected to start alongside point guard Jason Terry in the backcourt, though Ager isn't selling himself short.

The Mavs don't want him to.

"This is the start of his NBA career," Prunty said. "He can start formulating the groundwork of what he envisions his NBA career to be."

Ager is being counted on to contribute this season. That could be 10 minutes per game. It could be 20. There will be struggles along with the flashes.

Asked if he thinks about starting, Ager doesn't hesitate.

"Every day," he said. "I want to get on the floor defensively, so I want to pick up the pace as fast as I can and compete. We've got Jerry Stackhouse and Buck, but honestly the two-guard spot is wide open.

"I want to start. Of course I do. But I've got to prepare for the worst just like the best. As long as I'm working and producing, the rest is up to the coaching staff."

"Who's to say those teams that passed me are ones I would want to be with? I would rather go to a better team where I have an opportunity to be a great player vs. go somewhere where the team is not as good and doesn't make the playoffs."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I'm stoaked to see him play.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Ager = Class Act... Good form my man.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Anywhere in the ballpark of a Ray Allen or a Jason Richardson would be an awesome steal at the 28th pick. It's interesting that he's already throwing the gauntlet to Stack & Buck... for the starting 2 spot. I can't wait for the season to begin!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Starting? I like the confidence but let's not get delusional...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Starting? I like the confidence but let's not get delusional...
We don't have to be but, I do like him thinking that he's going to make those guys earn it. As they should.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

I seriously doubt Stackhouse will play 82 games next year. So Ager will probably start at least a handful of games next year. Need I remind yall that Rawle Marshall started 9 games last year.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
I seriously doubt Stackhouse will play 82 games next year. So Ager will probably start at least a handful of games next year. Need I remind yall that Rawle Marshall started 9 games last year.
That was thanks to a lack of a backup SF. With George hopefully coming in, that's fixed.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph...nk&video=blank
Lots of nice Ager highlights, the first play really impressed me.

Washington's impressed too, but his future here's grim with Johnson coming in.

Last edited by StackAttack; 07-30-2006 at 10:45 AM.
StackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Glad to have him on board

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to decide what to like most. Skill set? Attitude? Its a toss up. But clearly none of the other 2 guards we have, besides Jet, has the physical ability to be a light it up big star. If this kid blossoms into one, then we would always have 2 guards on the court who can command a double team. Now how sweet would that be for Dirk? The centers better learn how to catch and dunk, because they'll be wide open all day.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Greg Buckner is expected to start alongside point guard Jason Terry in the backcourt"
I'd like to see something from AJ confirming this...

potential is what it is...but still, this young man has it in massive quantity.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
The centers better learn how to catch and dunk, because they'll be wide open all day.
I agree. But that's scary stuff. Everybody saw Diop fix his bra and straighten his skirt before taking the ball back up "strong" this year. He got better at it, but still....
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder "if" this kid can push his way into this lineup??? I mean, it does not sound as if he has any substantial holes in his game...I'd love to see him get 12 min a game and way more in blowouts...of which I expect many this season.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
StackAttack
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I'd like to see something from AJ confirming this...

potential is what it is...but still, this young man has it in massive quantity.
Donnie came on ESPN Radio and said it.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

Question

Quote:
Donnie came on ESPN Radio and said it.
said what? Buck is starting or Ager has serious talent?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #16
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Right, so here´s our perannial rookie praise article after a solid summer league showing from a guy who matured in college and was brought in to produce in his minutes for good.

Where´s anything new, besides Ager beeing behind Terry and Buckner in the SG rotation (and where are all the DH fans now claiming DH will start at the PG over KJ for sure and Terry at the two and ...)?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the mavs made another solid choice late in the first round, amazing.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
(and where are all the DH fans now claiming DH will start at the PG over KJ for sure and Terry at the two and ...)?
for a good poster you've been taking some very odd turns in your posts the last few weeks...

oh, and help me out for a second...who is "KJ"?

I for one believe that this team is at its most deadly with Harris and JT on the floor...and agaisnt most teams in the league I believe this to be so...

Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I for one believe that this team is at its most deadly with Harris and JT on the floor...and agaisnt most teams in the league I believe this to be so...
This team is at it's best with those two on the floor against most teams.

Problem is, $$$ and lineups.

IMO, ideally, Terry would be the 6th man, and bring that sweet shot off the bench. This is of course after Dirk, and Devin driving has forced the other team to pack in the middle.

This would make perfect sense then to bring Terry in as the #1 offensive option, give Dirk some rest, and get Howard some burn offensively as well with AJ.

Of course, this will never happen because Terry is the highest paid, and will start. So either you move Terrty to starting SG which he really can't defend, and then make him the 3rd option on offense with Devin and Dirk running pick n rolls,etc....... Or you leave him at PG, start the defender in Bucknor, and bring Devin in for Terry ASAP, or as the line-ups dictate.

My guess, Terry starts with Bucknor, and they bring Devin in as the first guard off the bench.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
This team is at it's best with those two on the floor against most teams.

Problem is, $$$ and lineups.

IMO, ideally, Terry would be the 6th man, and bring that sweet shot off the bench. This is of course after Dirk, and Devin driving has forced the other team to pack in the middle.

This would make perfect sense then to bring Terry in as the #1 offensive option, give Dirk some rest, and get Howard some burn offensively as well with AJ.

Of course, this will never happen because Terry is the highest paid, and will start. So either you move Terrty to starting SG which he really can't defend, and then make him the 3rd option on offense with Devin and Dirk running pick n rolls,etc....... Or you leave him at PG, start the defender in Bucknor, and bring Devin in for Terry ASAP, or as the line-ups dictate.

My guess, Terry starts with Bucknor, and they bring Devin in as the first guard off the bench.
So where does that leave Johnson? He is probably too valuable to relegate to scarce 3rd PG minutes. I guess he'll end up being Avery's quick fix/punishment for Harris if he plays poorly.

Edit: By the way, I suppose that if this is a problem at least it is a good problem to have.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 08-01-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
So where does that leave Johnson? He is probably too valuable to relegate to scarce 3rd PG duties. I guess he'll end up being Avery's quick fix/punishment for Harris if he plays poorly.
From an Ideal standpoint, I think Terry would be the 6th man, who goes in for 1 or 2 and moves the 2 to the 3. He is efficient money as a shooter.

With that said, I have no idea how minutes are going to be spread, but I'll guess Harris gets less of them than I (and many others on this board) think he should be getting.

IF they sign George; it really wouldn't surprise me if this year they had two separate teams with Dirk being the only player on both the 1st and 2nd team. 9 players logging known minutes and three pulling minutes only due to inefficiency or foul problems.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Right, so here´s our perannial rookie praise article after a solid summer league showing from a guy who matured in college and was brought in to produce in his minutes for good.

Where´s anything new, besides Ager beeing behind Terry and Buckner in the SG rotation (and where are all the DH fans now claiming DH will start at the PG over KJ for sure and Terry at the two and ...)?
What do I need to say? I've made it my name for crying out loud, so you see it every time I post . I hear a new line-up everday. Lets wait til training camp when my boy proves he IS the starting pg of this team.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Wow sme people here have a weird thinking process. If any1 thinks that Terry just signed that deal and will not be a starter at either 1 or 2 they are crazy. Harris is not ready and prolly never will be to be a starter. It just sounds stupid for any1 to think that terry will b the 6th mann.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 08-01-2006 at 03:56 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

<edit>
Shouldn't have written it............

Last edited by dalmations202; 08-01-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Harris is not ready and prolly never will be to be a starter
pretty short sighted...

Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
StackAttack
Platinum Member

Quote:
said what? Buck is starting or Ager has serious talent?
Buck is starting. Or at least he expects him to.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Buck is starting. Or at least he expects him to.
Donnie is guessing it sounds like...

but thanks for the info...if Harris comes to play this year like I expect him to, then Buck won't be able to hold him back...

so....that ager kid looks good huh?

Last edited by sike; 08-02-2006 at 09:39 AM.