Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #161
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
To me, the reason JET has not played point guard (and not a few minutes here and there...absolutely NO point guard in years) is because the new coaching staff believes he's not one. And if that's the case, they're not just going to change their mind.

I do think they are correct. He's not a point guard. However, that doesn't mean he can't pretend to be one for stretches off the bench. The fact that he isn't even playing point in garbage minutes makes me believe that the coaches think that he can't do that either.

Not playing a position doesn't mean you can't play it, but if the coaches don't think you can it doesn't matter.
Well, as I've said before, I guess we'll see. Jet stopped playing the point when Kidd got here. I've always assumed that this was because they were now able to play Jet 30+ minutes at SG without getting killed defensively.

Before Kidd was here there were only so many matchups that would allow you to play Jet exclusively at SG. And rather than not play him, they played him at PG where he could still contribute.

I think that's what is going to happen this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #162
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well, as I've said before, I guess we'll see. Jet stopped playing the point when Kidd got here. I've always assumed that this was because they were now able to play Jet 30+ minutes at SG without getting killed defensively.

Before Kidd was here there were only so many matchups that would allow you to play Jet exclusively at SG. And rather than not play him, they played him at PG where he could still contribute.

I think that's what is going to happen this season.
Yes, I agree that Terry and Kidd work well together in the backcourt. However, if the sole reason Terry plays the 2 is due to Kidd, why is Terry our sixth man? Why, when he's with the second unit as much as he is, has he not played a little bit of point? According to 82games, he played 2% of the minutes at the point in 08-09, and so far in 10-11, he hasn't played a minute there. (for some reason, I don't see 09-10 on the sight...not sure why)

It just seems like over the course of 82 games, there would be times where the matchups would dictate Terry at the point guard, when Barea was not playing well and one of the shooting guards was. Even this year, Terry's starting the year hot, and Barea hasn't, and yet no change. I'd think that if this was truly an option, Terry would steal a few minutes from Barea at times.

I hope that Terry does play the point later in the year when Roddy returns because from what I've seen, I think he could do it for short stretches. However, everything I've seen from Carlisle indicates he does not believe Terry can/should do that anymore. And no, I have no clue how RC plans to manage the minutes. Maybe even though he prefers Terry at the 2, he will feel he has to play him at the point just so Roddy can get minutes. I'm not ruling it out. But even if that happens, he still doesn't have to like JET at the 1.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #163
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Yes, I agree that Terry and Kidd work well together in the backcourt. However, if the sole reason Terry plays the 2 is due to Kidd, why is Terry our sixth man? Why, when he's with the second unit as much as he is, has he not played a little bit of point? According to 82games, he played 2% of the minutes at the point in 08-09, and so far in 10-11, he hasn't played a minute there. (for some reason, I don't see 09-10 on the sight...not sure why)

It just seems like over the course of 82 games, there would be times where the matchups would dictate Terry at the point guard, when Barea was not playing well and one of the shooting guards was. Even this year, Terry's starting the year hot, and Barea hasn't, and yet no change. I'd think that if this was truly an option, Terry would steal a few minutes from Barea at times.

I hope that Terry does play the point later in the year when Roddy returns because from what I've seen, I think he could do it for short stretches. However, everything I've seen from Carlisle indicates he does not believe Terry can/should do that anymore. And no, I have no clue how RC plans to manage the minutes. Maybe even though he prefers Terry at the 2, he will feel he has to play him at the point just so Roddy can get minutes. I'm not ruling it out. But even if that happens, he still doesn't have to like JET at the 1.
Because we've never had a shooting guard other than Jet that Rick likes more than JJB. Why would we play Jet at PG this season when we've had such a hard time just filling minutes at SG, to the point that JJB is playing there consistently?

I'm pretty sure that this team would be carrying a third PG if the coaching staff was completely convinced that Jet absolutely cannot run the point for this team. We haven't had a third PG in three years, and I can only assume that's because the team feels like Jet can handle it if he must.

And as I keep mentioning, there was a reason Jet played significant minutes at PG during the preseason. At least I assume there was.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #164
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The reason Dirk hasnt shot corner threes in a while is because 90+ percent of his threes in the last couple of years have been either in transition/trailing a break or because of a specific game situation that required them(or a shot clock running down) and corner threes are a half court shot rather than a transition shot.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #165
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i'm glad dirk is shooting more threes, usually it's a good idea for 3-point shootout champions to shoot 3's in games
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #166
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Close to a decade ago, it became apparent that you must run Dirk off of that spot in the corner at all costs. That's what happened to that shot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote