Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-20-2002, 10:20 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley seems to have gotten into the nellie doghouse, for honest or dishonest reasons I don't want to debate. What I would like is an honest debate on the strenghts/weaknesses of Shawn Bradley versus Esch... Here are my first impressions.

Here are the things that bradley can do over esch.

Shoot - Bradley is very far superior set shooter than esch. In fact from 12-15 feet he is quite serviceable.

Block Shots - Bradley can drastically alter shots from people driving on the lane. In my opinion he doesn't get "posterized" greatly more than any other big man do. I've seen dirk get clobbered. Other big men in general just let them go, while bradley contests everything, therefore getting dunked on. Also the sight is always more radical with the large bradley.

Shoots free throws.

What Bradley cannot do that esch can.
Defend on the floor. Having bradley for example try to defend webber at the top of the key is murder. He cannot move fast enough. That is a match-up that bradley really cannot win. He can't get close enough to effect the shoot and he can't stay off him because he will hit the jumper, a no win. Esch has quicker feet.
Be an active body defensively away from the basket. When it comes to having to move your feet Esch will win that one. But one-on-one defense I give to Shawn.
Rebound as well. Esch gets about 1.5 reb/min versus shawns 1.0.

Now things that bradley does that keeps him on the bench:
- Whines way too much on a foul, although bradley gets way more than his share of bogus fouls.
- Tries to use his body way too much to try and effect things. many, many times he will try to throw his body in the way and because he is so big he is caught. He really should try to block from behind more.
- Just seems to suffer from a lack of confidence and aggressiveness. He would be much better if he would be aggressive, but he has difficulty being aggressive without doing something silly.
- Brings the ball down way,way too many times when he gets it. He actually is rather talented with the ball for such a big man. He would be better served if the mavs just flat out forced him to shoot a turn around jumper. No matter who is in front or guarding him. When he tries to "make a move" all of his handicaps come in.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2002, 10:58 AM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

There is another thing that Esch does really well:

Sacrifice his body for the good of the team. He is more of a BWS than a basketball player but he does whatever it takes for the Mavs when he's on the floor. He sets good picks, he bodies up with the physical players, he hustles, and he is a hard worker.

And personally that grittiness that Esch displays (when Nellie saw him play well against Chicago he asked Esch "where ya been?"... and Esch responded, "down at the end of the bench coach.&quot is why I think he deserves maybe 5-10 minutes a game as a reserve in our lineup. Given the right amount of time, he will use his fouls knocking people around, and give us the hustle and toughness that we sorely lack from the center position.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< There is another thing that Esch does really well:

Sacrifice his body for the good of the team. He is more of a BWS than a basketball player but he does whatever it takes for the Mavs when he's on the floor. He sets good picks, he bodies up with the physical players, he hustles, and he is a hard worker.

And personally that grittiness that Esch displays (when Nellie saw him play well against Chicago he asked Esch &quot;where ya been?&quot;... and Esch responded, &quot;down at the end of the bench coach.&quot is why I think he deserves maybe 5-10 minutes a game as a reserve in our lineup. Given the right amount of time, he will use his fouls knocking people around, and give us the hustle and toughness that we sorely lack from the center position.
>>

I agree with this statement. One thing I like his Esch's grittiness which is someting Bradely doesetn which is understandable being he is 7 foot 6 it has to be hard to do alot of things. At this point I like ESCH as a center becasue ive just seen to many dunking drills on bradely for me to take him over ESCH.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote