Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough
Default Okay...So I need some opinions...

I have just won the lottery in my fantasy football team. I have the number one pick...Who should I go after?
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Are the settings standard? Probably LT, but depending on settings you might want to also consider Brady. Some folks might even go APete, but me, I'd stick with LT if I went RB.

It's probably more important for you to consider your first three picks as a whole. Think about how you want to form your team. It's not just the #1 pick that gives you a hammer...it's also getting 3 of the top 21 (if it's a 10-team league).
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

tell me who you drafted

and I'll tell you if you did well or not.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited for our league...it's going to be interesting w/12 teams.

and btw, I'd vote for LT.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

While we are on this subject, and given that most of us won't have the #1 pick, who do you see as the most likely first-round pick to fail this year?

I'm most nervous about Westy. Something tells me he's a longshot to play 16 games. Next up, I'm skeptical that Brady will repeat his performance of the past year.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Skeptical? there is simply no way he can repeat the performance from last year... I have a few darkhorses--guess you guys will have to wait and see!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Brady is a lock to not produce as high as last year, but he'll still have very good numbers and will be the top QB. It's just a matter of how much of a drop off there is, I think it's minor.

Westy only excites me in PPR leagues...that's about it.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

It is a two QB league otherwise it is pretty standard. I got third in the league last year with a bunch of hand-me-downs after most of my starters went out with injuries.

I was thinking LT. I don't believe anything but RB's will come off the boards for the first 5-6 picks so I better get mine quick. After that I'd like to get Brady or Manning if they are available. The problem is I have no clue how to rank my players. I have always let the computer draft for me but given the nature of my status I want to be more hands on. I am just ignorant how to do it. After I get a team I can run it very well, but I just don't know how to get the team.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

Go to fantasyfootballcalculator.com and participate in some mock drafts. That should give you great insight into what you are up against.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The toughest part, will be if your team as a fan is at the top of the league...how do you pick for Fantasy and leave your heart out of it?

For me as a Cowboys fan, I look at Romo, Barber, Witten, Owens, Folk...all of these will finish at or near #1 at their position. But if your fantasy team has all of them, you wind up hurting your overall standings.

If you ask me, I would like to find a fantasy league that awards points for the following, Scoring, Yardage and WINS.

For example if Romo throws for 3 TD's, then you get the points for the TD's and bonus' depending on distance of TD's. You would get points for total yards thrown on the day and points taken away for INT's etc... However, I would like to see, that if Romo's team wins and you own Romo as your QB in fantasy, then that is an extra bonus in points.

That would make it more difficult for fantasy owners to structure their draft...a little more research if you will. Where do you rate guys like Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson when they are losing?

Think about TE's...who don't get you a ton of points anyway...so do you take a 3rd team TE from IND rather than a starter from Miami?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote