Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all
Default Canvassing For Obama In Dallas, Texas -dailykos

From dailykos.com:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/1...977/623/620782

"Canvassing For Obama In Dallas, Texas
by dagan68

Sun Oct 05, 2008 at 10:08:31 AM PDT

I have decided this year that I can no longer sit on my ass - getting out there has been an absolute balm for my anxiety about where this country is going. And never in my wildest dreams did I foresee being taken to tears.

dagan68's diary :: ::
I am a 42 year old ex-Republican. About the only thing I have ever done in an election campaign is to place a bumper sticker on my car.

Over the last two years, I have realized the severe trouble the country is in, and this year decided I was going to actually get out and work for the only viable option I can see to save the Republic - that would be Senator Obama.

In Texas, our deadline to register to vote is tomorrow. I have been out registering people in neighborhood walks through Old East Dallas, the Cotton Bowl area and part of Oak Cliff. I discuss with the people the reason they should vote and hand them the appropriate forms to put in the mail or take to officials.

It has mostly been African-American and Latino voters. I thank God daily I sat through 6 years of Spanish in high school and college.

My first impression -

I have been a very ignorant American. I apologize to God and everyone in my country. I have never seen living conditions as horrendous as some of these elderly people are living in. Note to self - detachment is no longer an option - I will now be much much more involved in community issues.

My second impression -

I have been going out every day for the past two weeks. Early on, my canvassing partner and I ran into two young black men - bling, tattooes, etc. I try not to be racist - but it was all I could do not to be scared to death. They came up to us - and we introduced ourselves. The one gentleman's name is Kai. I asked Kai if he was registered to vote - he said No and we discussed how he could register. He looked up at me - and I swear he was tearing up in his eyes - he said - "You are the first white man who has ever spoken to me with respect in my life. I appreciate all the work you are doing for Obama." He then asked for more registration forms - he took about 100.

I understand from a friend at a local official registration location that Kai did indeed show up - with about 50 of his friends in tow. I actually started crying.

2 things -

The next 10 years or so are going to be some of the most challenging this country has ever faced. We are all going to have to work together. We are all going to have each other's back. Senator Obama seems to me to be the one man who has the capacity to get us all together - I would never have dreamed that the Kai story could have happened to me just a year ago.

Secondly, from what I have seen on the ground in Dallas - this country has no idea what the tsunami is going to be like on Nov 4. People are coming out of the wood work to vote - and I would not at all be surprised if Texas is one of those states on election night that does not get lit up red or blue until way late in the evening.

Godspeed to us all
dagan68"
minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Republicans need to run a Hispanic out there next time.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Great post. I am seeing alot of these type messages. Remember, they don't tell them how to vote. Just register and vote and make your voice heard. It was unbelievable the votes cast for Obama/Hillary. Never in the history has so many turned out. The turn out is going to be amazing 4 weeks from now.

It is good to see so many people interested and so many people that will vote, no matter how they vote.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The Republicans need to run a Hispanic out there next time.
Maybe next election run Palin against Hillary for pres and Alberto Gonzalez for her vice.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

It is very good that more people are involved and feel like they are a part of the country, regardless of how they vote.

This was a very well written account. I was very moved by it.
minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote