Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Country First

In the spirit of understanding (but still being able to disagree) with others, I stake this thread down amongst us Maverick fans, US voters and world citizens in the name of, um, Dirk Nowitzki.

So, almost verbatim from KG:

This is an open-ended question to all McCain supporters.

What specific positions on the issues (e.g., energy, the economy, Iraq, foreign policy, etc.) made you decide to support McCain?

Note: I guess it also doesn't have to be about the issues though that would obviously be preferred and generate more discussion but reasons to vote for him could include liking his Maverick personality, or just disliking the other option(s) more, which seems to be a popular sentiment from what I can observe. I don't know. Tell me.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 09-30-2008 at 01:02 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Saddly in this day and age, none of us truly knows any of the candidates, their positions or how they will actually perform their job.

Saddly, we live in a mainly 2 party system...with token credit given to others.

Saddly, we typically are put in a position to vote for one party or the other, as we the historical track record is that politicians vote and lead on bills and other political functions based on party lines.

What catches me about McCain is simply the fact that his party affiliation runs closer to my personal values as a social/fiscal conservative. Will they always be in line with my beliefs? NO...but they will be closer to my views than the Democrats.

I also happen to distrust the opposing candidate. I believe I have heard that Obama has voted 97% of the time down his party line since he has been on the National scene...not exactly an agent of Change. Not that McCain is much better at bucking the system with a sign of 85% voting down his party line...but nevertheless...there it is. Do I want Democrat or Republican values and voting record from the person I am voting for.

I would like to see us kick the Democrats out of Congress, to me that is where the real power is. Short of doing so, at least a Republican President can help to keep the Democrats from getting too far out of control and too far to the left to rescue.

If I had my true way, I would pick a candidate who would simply be responsible for our National Defense. Someone who would allow free market to run its course and truly allow people to live by personal responsibility. I would grant no 'Special' favors to age, race, sexual choice, gender or any other group...to include religion.

If someone wants/needs special help from the government, then they have to work for it...nothing is free, no hand-outs!!! For Corporations or individuals.

I would ensure that everyone had a right to life at conception.

I would ensure that if a person committed a crime that thus removed him/her from that right, that we exhausted all possibilities to ensure that we had the right person before they would be terminated.

Truth be known...if there was a way, I would allow for protest of war, but it would be done privately and not through the press. I know that this is perhaps wrong as we all enjoy our Freedom of Speech and a Free press...however I am disgusted with the lengths that protesters and the Media will go to tear down this country...they have consequences that are costing Americans their lives, yet nobody seems to want to stand up and challenge these people for what they are causing!!!

Bottom line, I love being an American and the change that I believe we need is most likely NOT the change that the majority in America want. Regardless, the change that the Democrats are offering is a change for the WORSE and I oppose this change with every ounce of my being!!!

Honestly McCain is perhaps too liberal for me...so you can imagine how much of an evil satan I see in Obama.

So if someone wants a Pelosi type person in the White house, then Obama is your choice...if you want freedom in America, then it's time to vote McCain.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I want a president that is strong on National Defense - a real Commander in Chief.

I want a president that believes in God, and in following his ways.

I want a president that believes in the rights of people --- from conception -- not choice of when we kill them.

I want a president that will turn the other issues over to the states -- where it belongs. One who wants the federal government out of states issues.

I would like a president that is not rich, entitled, and has come from the working class. So that he knows how the majority of people actually feel. I don't want a snake oil/used car salesman.

I want a president that is honest, and is above in his own constitution the average citizen.

Since we don't have a presidential or vice-presidential candidates that fit these criteria -- then I will choose McCain because he is the closest to these.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
In the spirit of understanding (but still being able to disagree) with others, I stake this thread down amongst us Maverick fans, US voters and world citizens in the name of, um, Dirk Nowitzki.

So, almost verbatim from KG:

This is an open-ended question to all McCain supporters.

What specific positions on the issues (e.g., energy, the economy, Iraq, foreign policy, etc.) made you decide to support McCain?

Note: I guess it also doesn't have to be about the issues though that would obviously be preferred and generate more discussion but reasons to vote for him could include liking his Maverick personality, or just disliking the other option(s) more, which seems to be a popular sentiment from what I can observe. I don't know. Tell me.
Did you really think you were going to get a response from those who support McCain Oh course not, the only thing they support is the Republican party. It has nothing to do with who is right for the United States. Just to be brutally honest, if ANY Republican pick wins this Presidential election, we can point the reason to Obama's name and the fact he is Black. Even Ray Charles can see that the Bush Republican Party has gotten us into this whole mess with the economy and war. Those are by far the two biggest issues for the United States. It should be a cakewalk into the President seat for ANY Democrat, but one thing is for sure. The Republican party was extremely smart for voting for Obama and causing Hillary to lose the Democrat pick. Obama had two things against him, that could lead to Democrats voting for a Republican. His name and his race.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Did you really think you were going to get a response from those who support McCain Oh course not, the only thing they support is the Republican party. It has nothing to do with who is right for the United States. Just to be brutally honest, if ANY Republican pick wins this Presidential election, we can point the reason to Obama's name and the fact he is Black. Even Ray Charles can see that the Bush Republican Party has gotten us into this whole mess with the economy and war. Those are by far the two biggest issues for the United States. It should be a cakewalk into the President seat for ANY Democrat, but one thing is for sure. The Republican party was extremely smart for voting for Obama and causing Hillary to lose the Democrat pick. Obama had two things against him, that could lead to Democrats voting for a Republican. His name and his race.
If his name and his race are real issues, then we are in a darker place than I thought.

I am voting for McCain strictly on the fact that he is closer to what I believe in and support.

Obama represents the Democrats and ultra liberal agendas.

I am pro-personas responsibilities and believe that a bail out is a bad idea
I am pro-freedom and believe that the War in Iraq is a necessary war which will lead to lasting freedom
I am pro-life at conception
I am pro-straight marriage

I can go on and on, but those appear to be provide a general issue support and ideology from myself.

Barrack Hussein Obama and the Democrats are against the very basic principles that I cherish. They on the opposite side of nearly every issue that is in need of governing.

This is why I am voting for McCain.

It has NOTHING to do with Race or Name...but strictly to do with issues.

I hope and pray that there are no votes going for either candidate based on the racial or name topic. If they do, then they demean the very reason we vote!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
If his name and his race are real issues, then we are in a darker place than I thought.

I am voting for McCain strictly on the fact that he is closer to what I believe in and support.

I am pro-freedom and believe that the War in Iraq is a necessary war which will lead to lasting freedom

I can go on and on, but those appear to be provide a general issue support and ideology from myself.

Barrack Hussein Obama and the Democrats are against the very basic principles that I cherish. They on the opposite side of nearly every issue that is in need of governing.

I hope and pray that there are no votes going for either candidate based on the racial or name topic. If they do, then they demean the very reason we vote!!!
I wish I was wrong on this issue, but I can just about guarantee this is widespread. You have to admit, that this election SHOULD have been a cake walk for ANY Democrat candidate, no matter what due to what Bush Admin did.

I just looked at what you posted about your values, and I dont see but two things that make you a so called McCain backer.

I am pro-personas responsibilities and believe that a bail out is a bad idea (Both party lines feel this way)
I am pro-freedom and believe that the War in Iraq is a necessary war which will lead to lasting freedom (Both parties voted for the war)
I am pro-life at conception (That is a Republican value)
I am pro-straight marriage (Both parties share this value overall)
Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

Believe it or not, but I am a long way from being a Democrat, but I give the candidates fair value to see who holds up closer to what I feel the United States needs right now.

Here are my values:
1. I am very much against gay marriage
2. I am very much for pro-choice on abortion.
3. I believe in tax cuts for business owners.
4. I cant stand the way that Section 8, Food stamps and Welfare is abused.
5. I believe in pull yourself up by your own boot straps.
6. I believe that war should be the last result.
7. I believe in outsourcing jobs to save expenses on businesses.
8. I love all the loop holes in the tax rules that people/business can take advantage of.
9. I am against a fully government paid Universal Healthcare.
10. I believe that pursuit of oil has gotten us into wars in the past/present.
11. I believe that Bush could have taken Bin Laden out but choose to let him live.
12. I believe that the United States must at the right times flex our muscles, in order to show our dominance to keep our enemies from attacking us.
13. I believe that the Bush lead administration failed the American people.

So what am I ? As I align up all my values and what is top priority for me is the failed econonomy and the war. Clearly Obama wins on these key issues, and it is widely known to Republicans that Obama shares alot of values with Republicans and that is why alot of Republicans have supported him in the past. Pre-2000 McCain was widely known to share alot of values with Democrats, which indeed put him somewhat in the middle. The post 2000 McCain is a victim of the Bush Administration and is tainted and ruined for the United States.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Barrack Hussein Obama and the Democrats are against the very basic principles that I cherish.
Quote:
I'm having a hard time reconciling these two.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Believe it or not, but I am a long way from being a Democrat, but I give the candidates fair value to see who holds up closer to what I feel the United States needs right now.

Here are my values:
1. I am very much against gay marriage
2. I am very much for pro-choice on abortion.
3. I believe in tax cuts for business owners.
4. I cant stand the way that Section 8, Food stamps and Welfare is abused.
5. I believe in pull yourself up by your own boot straps.
6. I believe that war should be the last result.
7. I believe in outsourcing jobs to save expenses on businesses.
8. I love all the loop holes in the tax rules that people/business can take advantage of.
9. I am against a fully government paid Universal Healthcare.
10. I believe that pursuit of oil has gotten us into wars in the past/present.
11. I believe that Bush could have taken Bin Laden out but choose to let him live.
12. I believe that the United States must at the right times flex our muscles, in order to show our dominance to keep our enemies from attacking us.
13. I believe that the Bush lead administration failed the American people.

So what am I ? As I align up all my values and what is top priority for me is the failed econonomy and the war. Clearly Obama wins on these key issues, and it is widely known to Republicans that Obama shares alot of values with Republicans and that is why alot of Republicans have supported him in the past. Pre-2000 McCain was widely known to share alot of values with Democrats, which indeed put him somewhat in the middle. The post 2000 McCain is a victim of the Bush Administration and is tainted and ruined for the United States.
Clearly you provide a compelling arguement as to why the multi-party system is failing America. I believe I read somewhere that this was even warned to us by President George Washington.

My problems with all this praise of Obama and the Economy...what exactly has he done for the economy and how is he experienced to handle these issues?

With Obama, I have read and heard about way too much smoke regarding his ties to ACORN and several others who are or where the gatekeepers which triggered the current economic crisis. I believe I heard yesterday that it marked the 9 year anniversay in which NY Times wrote a praise piece story regarding Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae and how the Clinton Administration pushed the events for low-income housing/loans. I am paraphrasing...but you get the picture.

I understand that ACORN would essentially bully small banks to issue High-Risk loans which they then wound pushing into FreddieMac/FannieMae.

In addition, I have heard that Obama has had his start through ACORN and voter registration campaigns (Community Activist) in Chicago - which are at the forefront of controversy with several involved facing the courts or already in jail for serious fraud and manipulation of the system.

Now I'm all for giving someone there fair day...but I am not willing to risk the office of the President until we have full disclosure.

Now I'm not exactly jumping for joy with McCain, but I trust him more than I do Obama.

Again, however, the real crisis is the multi-party system.

How would America vote, if there was NO party affiliation and the candidates had to prove their views on issues via an actual voting record?

We have conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans...what if we dropped all of those titles and simply had Candidates who are polticians.

I as a voter would actually have to look closer at the candidates.

Think about it this way...if Obama and McCain where the last two standing as Presidential candidates...and there was NO Party system...who would Bill and Hillary support?

Bill and Hillary are loyal to the Democrat party...but if they didn't have to be, who would they support and why?

Not that it's a ringing endorsement...after I all, I despise Bill and Hillary and believe that they are the reason we are in the mess we are in. But I don't believe that they trust Obama and that they feel he is even further to the left than they are.

For that matter, would so many Republicans be behind and support Bush if there was no Party system?

Imagine having a congress that each elected official voted on bills based on their own INDIVIDUAL beliefs versus voting because this other person will vote this way to support them on another issue.

Why can't these politicians vote in support of what the peopel who elect them want?

This is all making my stomach sick...but in then end, we are still the greatest country in the world. Enjoy our freedom while we still can.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I am anti-abortion as I view it to be murder of those who have no voice with which to defend themselves.

I have opinions on many other issues, but they are only intellectual opinions on things that largely relate to monetary concerns. To save life, I am willing to be broke.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote