Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all
Default Brandan Wright Agrees To Two-Year, $10M Deal With Mavericks

Brandan Wright and the Dallas Mavericks have finalized a two-year deal worth $10 million.

Wright's deal will include an additional $1.1 million in incentives.
Via David Aldridge/NBA.com
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, that's where I thought it'd come in. Was kind of surprised when I heard the 3.5 per year figure getting tossed around earlier. That's plenty of money for him to live up to, but I'm glad to see it done, as I was concerned another team with cap space to burn might step up late in the game with an inflated contract offer. And maybe that did happen, and that's the reason the reported dollar value has gone up.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Very good!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Still a decent price for a young athletic big with upside.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Very disappointed to hear this deal is worth $10M instead of the rumored $8M.

I know people will say that the Mavs are using the Early Bird exception, and it doesn't really hurt their cap flexibility. Which is true... but only for this season. Next season the Mavs still have Part II of their big free agent spending spree. Dirk, Marion, and Vince are coming off the books.

All the exceptions the Mavs are using now will eat into their available cap room next summer. I'm not against re-signing Brandan Wright with the Bird Exception... but I wish his contract was closer to the rumored $4M salary. A smaller contract would've made him a better trade asset.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post

I know people will say that the Mavs are using the Early Bird exception, and it doesn't really hurt their cap flexibility. Which is true... but only for this season. Next season the Mavs still have Part II of their big free agent spending spree. Dirk, Marion, and Vince are coming off the books.

All the exceptions the Mavs are using now will eat into their available cap room next summer. I'm not against re-signing Brandan Wright with the Bird Exception... but I wish his contract was closer to the rumored $4M salary. A smaller contract would've made him a better trade asset.
The problem is that we desperately need the center help this season. Name a better center for a better price that is available, and then I'll agree with you.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Wright ain't a center. But no matter, glad to have him back. Honestly, wish that was a 4 year deal.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A smaller contract would've made him a better trade asset.
Not if he lives up to his contract - the more he costs, the more you can trade him for.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
Wright ain't a center. But no matter, glad to have him back. Honestly, wish that was a 4 year deal.
He's gonna play center for this team. You can bet on that.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Its a 1 mil difference next season. Big deal. He's earned it.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about as disappointed with the reported final dollar amount as I might've been in the past on seeing the Mavericks win the 5th game of a best-of-five first round series after having been in position to close it out in four.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Man, you whine about everything. James is 6'7" without shoes. Wright got an extra 1mill.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I find it to be interesting how our starting center (Dalembert) makes less than his backup (Wright). However, I like to think that Wright also is Nowitzki's backup right now, and his minutes at Power Forward will be very valuable to the team. Of course his $5 million or whatever he makes next season is far less than Dirk's $22,721,381.
NeedlesKane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Its a 1 mil difference next season. Big deal. He's earned it.
Yeah it's one mil, that really isn't much.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Yeeess! looking forward to see him take the next step 12PPG 6RB
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I knew he was coming back, but I never thought they were going to invest $5 million per year into him. This tells me that he'll be given an opportunity to play more than 20 mpg for once. Watch his numbers flourish!
NeedlesKane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Man, you whine about everything. James is 6'7" without shoes. Wright got an extra 1mill.

I'm sorry for boring you with my opinions. Would you rather I whine about monta ellis' inefficiency, or jose calderon's contract, or plan powder, or any of the other stuff everyone else is complaining about? Would that help pique your interest?

By the way, Bernard James is 6'8.75" (without shoes). I've repeated that so many times already, down to the exact decimal. I'm disappointed that you still got that wrong.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by He15man View Post
Yeah it's one mil, that really isn't much.

A small amount can sometimes make a big difference.

$1M of cap space could be the difference between offering an elite free agent a 4-year contract worth $52M instead of $48M. Every little bit helps. When the Mavs are competing with the Lakers for free agents next summer, that dollar amount might be the biggest thing the Mavs have going for them.

$1M of cap space could also be the difference between luring a mid-tier free agent with a $26M contract, and watching him sign a full $22M MLE with contenders over the salary cap (Rockets, Thunder, Spurs).

Like I said, I'm glad Brandan Wright is staying. I'm just disappointed his contract is worth more than the rumored amount. Maybe that $1M never makes any differece. Or maybe it comes back to haunt us next summer.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
A small amount can sometimes make a big difference.

$1M of cap space could be the difference between offering an elite free agent a 4-year contract worth $52M instead of $48M. Every little bit helps. When the Mavs are competing with the Lakers for free agents next summer, that dollar amount might be the biggest thing the Mavs have going for them.

$1M of cap space could also be the difference between luring a mid-tier free agent with a $26M contract, and watching him sign a full $22M MLE with contenders over the salary cap (Rockets, Thunder, Spurs).

Like I said, I'm glad Brandan Wright is staying. I'm just disappointed his contract is worth more than the rumored amount. Maybe that $1M never makes any differece. Or maybe it comes back to haunt us next summer.
I think the Mavs learned their lesson from this offseason

1. there is no such thing as a bad contract...ie GWallace & KHumphries
2. If you need cap space it only takes 48 hours to clear like 2O million....see the Warriors trading RJeff and Beans to the Jazz
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Brandan Wright has been working hard on his game this off-season, that kid really has the potential to be a really good player in this league. His jumper and floaters were much improved last season, and it was good to see. Can you folks imagine just how much of a beast he would be if he got stronger, and added a few post moves (Drop step, up and under, spin move) to his game ? Well, he has the potential to keep getting better and better, so we'll see if he improves this season. Good to have him back.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Horrible.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Wright's still underpayed, he absolutely is worth the mark of a elite bench player 7-8 mill. He is the only bench player to have a 20+ PER each of the last 2 years. He averaged 17-8-2.5 per 36 on a 60.6 TS% he also had the best defensive rating amongst mavs bigs when on floor per nba.com. This deal is terrific.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't give an ounce of monkey shit how guys measure without shoes.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

It's all over-the-cap money, right? I don't care how much he costs.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
marc9211

marc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Wright's still underpayed, he absolutely is worth the mark of a elite bench player 7-8 mill. He is the only bench player to have a 20+ PER each of the last 2 years. He averaged 17-8-2.5 per 36 on a 60.6 TS% he also had the best defensive rating amongst mavs bigs when on floor per nba.com. This deal is terrific.
While I don't necessarily believe in the per 36 based on how they did in 18 or so minutes I do agree Wright 5 per year is a great deal/possible asset that's as good as they come off the bench, great sign.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

10 mil? But he's only like three feet tall without legs.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #28
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
10 mil? But he's only like three feet tall without legs and shoes.

FIFY
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #29
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Definitely good to wrap this up (we all knew he was coming back anyway).

Wright reminds me a lot of Roddy just a few years ago (except he has probably contributed more so far than Roddy ever did even during his great spurts). He's one of those guys where if he really starts to scratch the surface of his true ceiling he could be huge for this team. Maybe even boost it into contender status.

Still, Carlisle's cautiousness with him will have me concerned until we see him play some real heavy minutes. I have faith, but I also had faith in Roddy. And even if he remains at his current rate, the contract is CBA friendly and he could easily be packaged with one of our other acquired assets for something big at the deadline.

Why do the Mavericks have to do this to me? If my cautious optimism has me punching myself by February I am going to be upset.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #30
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually thinking this moogle guy was a solid new poster--a nice change of pace around these parts--but this nitpicking about $1M on the cap is causing me to reconsider.

I'm not sure you could find a single example in NBA history of $1M on the cap being the thing that prevents a team from signing a big free agent it wanted. Even if you were operating on a margin that thin--which isn't always the case--you would have several options to make the $1M a complete non-issue.

This kind of strikes me as a "There's going to be universal praise for this deal, so I want to be the one guy who offers a minor criticism" kind of complaint.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm not sure you could find a single example in NBA history of $1M on the cap being the thing that prevents a team from signing a big free agent it wanted. Even if you were operating on a margin that thin--which isn't always the case--you would have several options to make the $1M a complete non-issue.
Waiving Sarge and Akognon to sign Ellis supports your theory... $1m is less than wiggle room.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #32
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe now that we have a center with some defensive skills, we can see Wright more as Dirk's backup at the 4 spot. I think if you put him in a scorer's role, he can put up some points. While I shudder at the thought of him trying to defend an Aldridge or a Love, I think his quickness may make him a challenge for a lot of bigs..especially now that we have some guards who can, and want, to pass.

I'm anxious to see what this team looks like after a full training camp with Dirk.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
I think the Mavs learned their lesson from this offseason

1. there is no such thing as a bad contract...ie GWallace & KHumphries
2. If you need cap space it only takes 48 hours to clear like 2O million....see the Warriors trading RJeff and Beans to the Jazz
Both examples you sighted required the teams trading the bloated contracts to
include MULTIPLE first round picks. Wright wouldn't be hard to move- he's a young player still improving on a fair deal. Still it's not exactly good business to give out big contracts with the idea that they can be "easily" moved. Hell, they had to move down two spots and give up a second round pick to get a team to take Cunningham's paltry 1.4 salary! Cuban hired a GM yesterday I'm sure in part to avoid such future clusterfucks.

Also, I'm really happy to have Wright back! I think conventional wisdom/conjecture had him coming in closer to 4 than 5mil. Maybe they had to overpay slightly to get a verbal commit and to get him to wait to sign till other business was finished. To me thats a smart way to do business. Loyalty rewarded all the way around.

I also understand Moogle's original point- it isnt wise to overpay guys "in a vacuum". Each transaction though is discrete and unique in its details. In this particular instance it was the right move.

I do think those extra dollars do sometimes add up though. Not to flog a dead horse but i've repeatedly bemoaned the inability to take on Speights/Selby and Ellington(ironically)contracts last season in order to grab a future 1st. They were actually only a couple million away from being able to do that and stay under the cap. Overpay Kaman by a little less, don't sign Mike James... they'd have been in the ballpark.

Like I said I really doubt Wright's deal will hinder any flexibility going forward. I also do think and hope that Rosas is here to see some of these potential pitfalls to roster building two or three steps ahead and increases the team's chances of being opportunistic next time a deal comes around.

Last edited by mac222b; 07-24-2013 at 01:57 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #34
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Do some people really whine about 1 (ONE) million $ more?

Good god...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He's gonna play center for this team. You can bet on that.
I realize he will technically be playing center. But I see players like him and Bosh as power forwards playing out of position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I find it to be interesting how our starting center (Dalembert) makes less than his backup (Wright). However, I like to think that Wright also is Nowitzki's backup right now, and his minutes at Power Forward will be very valuable to the team. Of course his $5 million or whatever he makes next season is far less than Dirk's $22,721,381.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright starting instead of Dalembert based on matchups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Maybe now that we have a center with some defensive skills, we can see Wright more as Dirk's backup at the 4 spot. I think if you put him in a scorer's role, he can put up some points. While I shudder at the thought of him trying to defend an Aldridge or a Love, I think his quickness may make him a challenge for a lot of bigs..especially now that we have some guards who can, and want, to pass.

I'm anxious to see what this team looks like after a full training camp with Dirk.
It's all about game planning. Against the stronger centers, you'll likely see Wright more at PF as Dirk's backup with more minutes for James and Dalembert (and likely another undrafted or D-League big at C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
...Also, I'm really happy to have Wright back! I think conventional wisdom/conjecture had him coming in closer to 4 than 5mil. Maybe they had to overpay slightly to get a verbal commit and to get him to wait to sign till other business was finished. To me thats a smart way to do business. Loyalty rewarded all the way around.

I also understand Moogle's original point- it isnt wise to overpay guys "in a vacuum". Each transaction though is discrete and unique in its details. In this particular instance it was the right move...
I don't see Wright as overpayed at all. $5 mil for a PF who can swing to C that scores with an extremely high efficiency is a great deal. I mean, Hollinger's PER rankings list him number 5 among centers for the 2012 season (he would also rank number 5 among power forwards) and ranks 23rd for estimated wins added. In contrast, Asik ranked 27th, Kaman 31st, and Dalembert ranked 35th. The biggest hole in Wright's game is rebounding, which I bet the team will be working on in camp.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #36
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Man, there is a lot of dogpiling in this thread for no reason.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy about the signing. After the All-Star break last year, Carlisle increased Wright's minutes, and he produced. 10 ppg, 5 rpg and 1.4 bpg on 59% shooting in just under 21 mpg. Sure, he's going to have trouble guarding larger post players simply because it's tough for him to hold his ground, but I think he's an excellent compliment for Dirk against the majority of teams. He finishes close to the rim, scores efficiently, and his defense continues to improve. He's a great value in a young big man.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #38
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest hole in Wright's game is being pushed around on defense. He is a great helpside shotblocker. But I really wish he would strengthen his legs and get a solid base. It would help him battle against the guys trying to establish position.

I'd like to see his body morph the same way Dennis Rodman's did from Detroit to SA/Chicago.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
The biggest hole in Wright's game is being pushed around on defense. He is a great helpside shotblocker. But I really wish he would strengthen his legs and get a solid base. It would help him battle against the guys trying to establish position.

I'd like to see his body morph the same way Dennis Rodman's did from Detroit to SA/Chicago.
To be honest, I see that gradually happening with him. He's only 25. I think he will continue to get stronger and better at defending the post. And you're right. That's the biggest hole in his game defensively. Otherwise, he's just what we need.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post

Really this guy should have been bulking and power lifting the day the mavs told him he'd be playing center a year or two ago. If there is one thing that has disappointed me from this guy that's it. Hopefully when the season starts we'll see a bigger stronger Wright.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote