Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-07-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
mavsfan-972

mavsfan-972 is on a distinguished road

Ok who do you guys think the mavs will pick up this summer? Who will get cut? Do you think they will maka a draft day trade for someone like jeryl sasser.

mavsfan-972

check it out

who do you think they will draft?(position, player)
mavsfan-972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2001, 03:56 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the poll mavsfan-972?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops my bad..I see it now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 03:59 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I hope they don't make a trade for Sasser.

Welcome aboard mavsfan-972 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:00 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

I kinda think Sasser won't be picked until the second round anyway. I was thinking of asking him to write a journal for the site once it's complete..
Old 03-07-2001, 04:14 PM   #6
mavsfan-972

sasser has claimed to play point guard in the nba, which would be great for the future and injury riddled nash.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:35 PM   #7
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I think that Trent will be involved in a sign and trade.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 08:30 PM   #8
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

Sasser is not NBA material. I have SMU season tickets, we sit three rows off the floor on the baseline. He DISAPPEARS in big games espically during clutch time. He is unable to get around the double teams and find the open guy. His point averages are way inflated by dominating Lamar and Hardan-Simons. I wouldn't draft him.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 09:33 PM   #9
mavsfan-972

do you all think the mavs will restructure juwan's contract, it is obviosly too big, they need some finley money?

what do you think?
Old 03-07-2001, 09:35 PM   #10
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

Finley, as a Larry Bird Exemption, for having played here 3 years, can get whatever Cuban wants to give him. However, if they go over the Salary Cap, there is a Luxury Tax of $1 per $1 over the cap. They do not have to restructure Juwan's contract.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 09:36 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

No there's really no need to restructure it. As for Finley, he'll receive the max regardless of what the other players are making.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:41 PM   #12
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Little known fact. The Mavs actually cut 250,000 off there salary cap in the Howard trade.

They'll have no problem resigning Finley.

Old 03-07-2001, 09:44 PM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs will be over the cap from here to eternity (as long as Cuban owns the team). There will be no free-agent signings except for our exception. I'm hoping the Mavs will trade up into the first round of this year's draft. If you were ever hoping to draft a big-time center, this is the draft. It's LOADED. EvilMav will testify that Yao Ming is dropping like a rock in the mock drafts because of his problems with the Chinese government. You know Nellie would love to get his hands on him. 7'1" high school senior Desange Diop has ties to the Mavericks as well. He was recruited by the Mavs African regional scout Amadou Fall to play prep ball in America.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 09:46 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Well our first round pick this year is protected, so there's still like a one in a million chance we end up with a top ten pick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 09:47 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I saw a story on that Diop guy. Believe it was on Fox Sports. He's very similar to Shaq in many ways. Even better at some things.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:01 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this, but the reference to Diop compels me to speak. I won fan of the game at the December 28 Dallas/Clippers game and got a free pair of tickets + free meal and drinks at the Mavs club for the Houston game on the 30th. I got drunk as a skunk with my brother before the game, and basically stood up in my front-row tickets in front of Chris Arnold and that former Miss Texas girl for most of that game. The funny thing about it though was that I was sitting next to Desegana Diop and that Cisse guy from Alabama. I am not kidding about this- I have Diops' autograph framed on a courtside menu. I could barely understand what he said when I tried to BS with him, but my drunken antics amused him and his buddy Cisse (I got a nasty look from Mo Taylor as I yelled at Bradley "RAISE YOUR ELBOWS- PUT HIM ON THE FLOOR!&quot I don't know where Diop got his tickets, but they were "players wives" seats, and were thus unbuyable by the general public(and I know it was him- I knew about him before the game, but I looked up a lot of material about him and Cisse since then). I e-mailed Mr. Cuban about this odd happenstance, and he e-mailed me back saying, "You know I can't talk about that stuff!". Maybe I shouldn't be posting this, but I don't see what harm it can do. However, I would bet my bum nickel that the Mavs are going to get into this draft somehow... I also know that one of our scouts was responsible for bringing Diop from Nigeria to Oakhill Academy, and that would explain his presence in Dallas during Winter break...
Old 03-07-2001, 10:02 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you probably saw the "PREPS" segment on Oakhill if you saw Diop on Fox Sports... That was a good program...
Old 03-07-2001, 10:04 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Wow thx for the inside info Evilmav2 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 10:05 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

No problem... maybe I shouldn't have posted that...
Old 03-07-2001, 10:06 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

Nah it's all good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 10:19 PM   #21
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

The new poster named Mavinator (longtime poster on Sportstalk) is my brother, and he was also witness to the Diop/Cisse incident... There have been a lot of strange reports of Dallas scouts contacting high school underclassmen this year. That kid from Oklahoma (he is a 6-6 junior who looks like the second coming of Jordan- and I'll have to look up his name again) was reported as having met with a Mavericks scout after a game in an OK paper this January... I think that the Cuban/Nelson management team is proactively scouting and courting prospective NBA players in order to show them that they can be drafted and look for the opportunity to steal undeveloped talent. That's just a thought, but I think Cuban plays to win- and dealing with high schoolers early is a good way to try to hit a home run in the draft...
Old 03-07-2001, 10:56 PM   #22
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Oh yeah, I remember now. That story was on ESPN's Outside The Lines this past sunday.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:58 PM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I couldn't get the site to work for the last few minutes... Anyway, the name of the high school kid from Oklahoma is Kelenna Azubuike... He is supposed to be very very good...
Old 03-07-2001, 11:08 PM   #24
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Mavs gonna be under the cap when Finley declares FA, and Bradley and Trent become FAs? Between Finely and Bradley, that should clear over 10 mill. Anyone know the exact numbers? I know that since we have all of their Bird rights, we can go over the cap to sign them. Which we would do *AFTER* we pick up some other big Free Agent. Any comments or anyone knowedgable on this subject??? Thanks.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:13 PM   #25
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

The only way we get the money from Finley and Bradley would be to renounce their rights and then we can't resign them. Under the old CBA you could do that scenario, but that loophole was closed when the current CBA went into effect.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:18 PM   #26
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

So their money never comes off, even if they declare or become FAs? Crap, that really shoots my theories down.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:53 PM   #27
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

The only way the money comes off is if they sign with another team or if the Mavs renounce them.

I expect the Mavs to renounce Howard when his contract is up. Because he was signed under the old CBA, we get to use his last salary as a starting point to sign a free agent. I'm hoping that the Texas Terror (Tim Duncan) will become a Mav then.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:01 AM   #28
Mavs#1Fan

I expect the Mavs will be active on draft day, but I don't know how. We don't have a pick this year and I don't think we can trade next years (I remember that there is some rule that a team cannot trade their own draft pick in two consectutive years).

But Nellie and Cuban certainly are creative.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:11 AM   #29
djb
Administrator

The Mavs' first round pick next year is lottery protected, so there's still that small chance.. We also get two second round picks (including the one we got from Houston in the Najera/Langhi swap).

I agree with you though, that something's definitely going down on draft day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2001, 12:23 AM   #30
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

This years draft is going to be to deep for us to stay out of it... Look out for Yao Mings draft stock to continue to plummet as the Chinese governments' terms of release scare other teams away. If he is allowed to enter the draft, but it looks like he will not be able to play for a few years, his draft stock could fall to the middle of the first round, and the Nelsons have been talking about the "Great Wall" for years (Donnie has worked with Ming, Zhi Zhi, and that Meng guy for limited times over the last few Summers)... I would expect Nelson to go after Ming if he was going to fall far enough...
Old 03-08-2001, 03:58 AM   #31
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Nellie and Cuban will get in this draft, they just can't help themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if we have Whang Zhi-Zhi and Yao Ming on our team next year.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:52 AM   #32
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the Mavs go after Anthony Mason. He's a banger,he's hard nosed & plays with intensity. Plus Mason can play the 3 or 4. In a push could also give you a couple possessions against a 5. Im being saying this all year but though we are talented, we are S-O-F-T. I mean Nelson said it best when he said that "None of our players are the kind of guy to go into a back alley." Mason wont command a large salary & maybe we can do something in a sign & trade with the Heat. Mason brings intangibles that we just dont have & will need to be a legit contender. Picture this..... C Dirk PF Howard SF Mason SG Finley & PG Nash. Im seeing that Howard is more then adequate playing defense on his man. It seems he is still a little slow on rotations. But Dirk is hands down our worse defender. So if they insist on playing him at Center (which was supposedly for later in his career) then the people surrounding Dirk have to be better.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:54 AM   #33
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Also, ..Maybe in a sign & trade with the Heat we could pick up the young guy EDDIE HOUSE. Since we will be in the market for a 5th guard this summer. The HOUSE kid can light it up...but he's buried in MIAMI behind Hardaway & Carter.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:40 PM   #34
dallaslaker

I don't see them letting House get away, especially with Hardaway out the door with age and injuries. He played really hard against us last night.
Old 03-11-2001, 05:10 PM   #35
mavsfan-972

the mavericks need to get a legit small forward because greg buckner, eduardo najara, vernon maxwell, and howard eisley do not start. When eisley was the starter the mavs would always get behind early in games. When they put finley at small forward, he seems to get into foul trouble. We need a defending center and small forward from this coming offseason to keep up with the west next year. We need to avoid getting matched up with the lakers, spurs, and kings early in the playoffs.

Old 03-11-2001, 05:44 PM   #36
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

If we move into the first round, I would love to see us take Shane Battier with the 10th-15th pick... He is going to be an excellant small forward for the next ten years...
Old 03-11-2001, 09:28 PM   #37
mavsfan-972

Daniel Ewing from willowridge was recruited by duke. Also, TJ Ford was recruited by Texas. That willowridge team was somthin else this season. They has their entire starting lineup in the texas top 50 seniors. My team Dallas Lincoln lost early in Austin though.

wait till next year the colony and incoln will take over.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They both will be great.
willowridge was ranked 2nd in the nation this season