Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Since we are taking about something that will never happen (Signing of Shard) all week. Here is one to ponder, would you rather have Shawn Marion or Rashard Lewis? If Shard deserves the max then Shawn Marion is worth Shaq Money.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2002, 11:56 PM   #2
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Marion is the better player right now but he is 3 years older. Maybe Rashard will be a even better player when he is 25.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

Rashard is much more talented because he can do everything Marion can *and* he can shoot the rock a whole lot more efficiently.

I like Marion but he is limited with what he can do. He is a better slasher now, but Lewis will develop into the better all around player.

Talent wise Rashard.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:05 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Gotta take Rashard in the long run although as of right now, Marion probably fits and helps the Mavs a little more.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:06 AM   #5
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Marion is only 6-7 and weighs 215 pounds. Rashard is 6-10 but also weighs 215pounds.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:09 AM   #6
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Marion fits perfectly to the Mavs(slasher,rebounds,hustles)he what they need, but Rashard is far more rounded(shooting)
I would still take Rashard
Old 07-27-2002, 12:09 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

shard!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #8
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

TAW is only a inch shorter than Marion but weighs 8 pounds more.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:17 AM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

really, I'm a foot shorter than Shard
Old 07-27-2002, 12:32 AM   #10
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Marion is a better blocker and dunker, that's it, lol.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:03 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Damn, both would be great players here. I think Lewis is destined for greatness though. I'll take him based on talent and potential. You do know that Marion is going to be a free agent soon. From what I've read he may not be too hip to the idea of a long term deal with Pheonix.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Marion's the better player right now, and he's who I'd want on the team next year if it was a short-term question.

Long-term, though, I'd have to say Lewis.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:16 PM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

i´d take marion over lewis, just think matrix is the better defender now and long-term, and he has shown that he´s able to develop the weaknesses of his game to a certain degree (3pt shooting is getting more stable and a more utilized weapon)
Old 07-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #14
Dirk77
Banned

I disagree, even now I think Lewis is better then Matrix.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

overall:
G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
81 81 38.4 8.1-17.2 .469 0.6-1.5 .393 2.4-2.8 .845 1.83 1.07 1.8 2.6 2.6 7.3 9.9 2.0 19.1
71 70 36.4 6.4-13.7 .468 1.7-4.5 .389 2.3-2.8 .810 1.46 0.56 1.4 2.5 2.0 5.1 7.0 1.7 16.8

per 48:
G GS FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
81 81 10.1-21.5 .469 0.7-1.9 .393 2.9-3.5 .845 2.28 1.34 2.2 3.3 3.3 9.2 12.4 2.5 23.9
71 70 8.4-18.0 .468 2.3-5.9 .389 3.0-3.7 .810 1.93 0.74 1.8 3.2 2.6 6.7 9.2 2.3 22.2

pick one ...
Old 07-27-2002, 08:06 PM   #16
Dirk77
Banned

I can't even read that.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

If I was running a rebuilding team, I would probably go with Lewis because I think he has the potential to be a better all-around and particularly offensive player than Marion. For the Mavs, however, I would go with Marion because he addresses our needs (rebounding and defense) more clearly, and I think he would better able to contribute without chemistry issues as a 4th option on offense.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #18
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

So step by step for Dirk77:

38.4 vs. 36.4 Minutes: Player one plays 2 minutes more a game.

8.1-17.2 (.469) vs. 6.4-13.7 (.468) FG: Both players shoot at about the same percentage

0.6-1.5 (.393) vs 1.7-4.5 (.389) 3pt: Both players shoot at about the same percentage, while player 2 takes more 3point attempts.

2.4-2.8 (.845) vs 2.3-2.8 (.810) FT: Both players get to the lane about as much as the other, with player 1 beeing a very good, player 2 a good ft shooter.

1.83 - 1.46 steals: Player 1 gets more steals (25% more) than player 2, both players above average numbers for this position.

1.07 - 0.56 blocks: Player 1 gets more blocks (90% more) than player 2.

1.8 - 1.4 turnover: Player 1 commits more turnovers (28% more) than player 2, both players around average numbers for this position.

2.6 - 2.5 PF: Both players commit an equal amount of fouls per game.

2.6 - 7.3 - 9.9 vs 2.0 - 5.1 - 7.0 rebs: Player 1 is one of the best rebounders at SF, averaging roughly 10 rebs a game (40% more than player 2), while player 2 is a good, above average rebounder for his position.

2.0 vs 1.7 assists: Both players get average numbers in assists, player 1 leading this category by 17%.

19.1 vs 16.8 points per game: Player 1 is the better scorer, outscoring player 2 by 2.3 points (13 %)

Which one would you take NOW?

Old 07-27-2002, 08:35 PM   #19
Dirk77
Banned

player 2.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #20
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

any particular reason for this? like his name better?
Old 07-27-2002, 08:45 PM   #21
Dirk77
Banned

B/c Marion is a tweener, i like lewis on this team better. Would you start Marion at pf or sf? Shard is actually a better defender, he is a better 3 point shooter. And I think Shard will be equal/better then Marion this year.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #22
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Is Rashard a better 3pt shooter? NO. Take a look at the numbers, he just shoots MORE, not BETTER.
Is Rashard a better defender? Dont think so. Have no reason to believe it. Marions defensive numbers are indeed very good. He can Block, Steal and Rebound better than Lewis while he still is the better offensive player.

Would I start Marion at SF or PF? SF of course.
Would he help our defensive woes better than Rashard? No one knows, but I´d say yes.

Rashard is 22, Marion 24. That´s not too much difference for me, both will develop during the next 4 years, with Marion being more mature at the moment.

Would I take Marion OVER Rashard in order to build a championship contender? Yes.
Would I take Marion over Rashard on a mediocre team like Seattle, Phoenix or so? Likely not.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:06 PM   #23
Dirk77
Banned

LOL, no, Shard is a better 3 point shooter. For one, Marion isn't really that good a point shooter, never has, more of a fluke. Second, there is a reason shard has made a ton more three's then Marion. It's not hard to have a high % when you are selectively and occasionaly shooting.

Just b/c Marion has more blocks and steals, doesn't make him a better defender.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:19 PM   #24
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

so what makes shard a better defender?
haven´t seen much of arguments IN FAVOUR of him so far ...

and we can argue for hours about this 3pt stuff, actually Marion has made enough 3pts NOT to call him an occasional shooter any more ...
still, rasahrd isnt shotting any BETTER, just more often ...

is marion a 3pt threat? NO.
do we need another 3 pt threat?
or do we need better rebounding, better defense, and a better overall game?

any of the two would make us much better, if i had the choice, it´d be marion ...

btw - coming to oslo this summer, interested in a meeting? or could you gimme some hints about locations where to go there?
Old 07-27-2002, 09:22 PM   #25
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

and the reason for rashard having much more 3pters is very simple:

he´s waiting outside for the shot more often, while marion plays closer to the basket
Old 07-27-2002, 09:29 PM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Screw what we need now. Lewis is 22 years old. If we sign him, he'll be here YEARS longer than Finley, or anyone else on the roster not named Dirk. If he's going to be a star, which many people think he is, then he's the choice.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 PM   #27
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Sure - taking Lewis is a no brainer. Still that doenst make him the best overall fit, nor the best defender in the league and stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

To obtain the long term aim (winning a championship) I´d take Shaq over Raef, though I think Raef is a perfect fit for our game. I´d take Duncan over Dirk. Vince or Kobe over Fin. Kidd over Nash.

And I´d take Marion over Lewis.

For building a team around I´d take Lewis if I was a mediocre team, just because he´s younger.
For adding to an at-the-moment contender I´d take Marion, because he might not shine as bright as Lewis, but he likely will be a better overall fit.

Old 07-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

Aye S.J. Good point. Call me greedy though, but I want more than one ring.