Shawn Marion 0 0%
Jose Calderon 5 22.73%
Samuel Dalembert 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #41
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Ellis ain't perfect, but he's averaging a PER of 17.07, which would make him the 7th best SG in the league if measured by that stat.

Ellis is also 12th among SGs in assist ratio, which paints a picture of a guy who has no problem passing (he ends up with an assist on 21.5% of his possessions.

And for all the talk of poor efficiency, Ellis is still averaging a respectable 53.8% TS%, which isn't too much of a dropoff from Dirk, who is averagind 59.5%.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-27-2014 at 02:23 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It almost makes it hard to seriously upgrade this team. The team needs to get better defensively. Where are they going to upgrade? 5's don't grow on trees. You have your 4. Your #3 is one of your better defenders.. Your 2 is Monta and is a key offensively... Your PG is extraordinarily efficient offensively and is an amazing shooter..

It's going to be interesting. They'll probably have to give up something offensively at least in the starting lineup to seriously improve this team.
This is the million dollar question. A few thoughts:

First of all, I'm not sure how great Marion is defensively anymore. He has his spurts but it feels to me like he's slipped significantly this year. So I think it's possible to upgrade over Shawn defensively this offseason (Deng being the obvious option).

There's also a *ton* of room for improvement in the backup bigs. You can upgrade massively in that area by replacing Wright and Blair's minutes with a quality defender.

If Shawn leaves and you replace him with a true 3, you could also help your defense by finding a true backup 4 that can defend. Shawn loses a lot of his defensive and rebounding advantages when he plays 4.

But in the end, there's only so much you can do to help the starting lineup if it includes Calderon and Monta. I think Calderon has played well enough that he can be traded as a semi-asset. If you can get a PG that fits better and is above average defensively, you can compensate the spacing issues caused by losing Calderon by getting a starting 3 that can shoot and has to be defended on the wing.

It's going to be a very interesting offseason, methinks.

Oh, and for the resident Jose homer, I actually agree that Jose is significantly underrated by the general Mavs fan base. He's been really important this season. But you're shooting your argument in the foot when you complain about Dirk getting more praise and you run Monta down to that degree.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #43
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

People need to get their act together with starting the GDT after a win...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
People need to get their act together with starting the GDT after a win...
What do you expect? It's the same one who ruined Sefant's mojo...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #45
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It almost makes it hard to seriously upgrade this team. The team needs to get better defensively. Where are they going to upgrade? 5's don't grow on trees. You have your 4. Your #3 is one of your better defenders.. Your 2 is Monta and is a key offensively... Your PG is extraordinarily efficient offensively and is an amazing shooter..

It's going to be interesting. They'll probably have to give up something offensively at least in the starting lineup to seriously improve this team.
Thats what I worry about. There's not much upgrading besides the 5 spot. Blair and Sarge are two spots that should definitely be replaced for other players. We need a wing defender/3 pt shooter and a 30min per game center.
Anyone who thinks Calderon is going to be traded just because he and Monta dont work well on the court for defense, then they are going to be upset.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #46
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

First of all, I'm not sure how great Marion is defensively anymore. He has his spurts but it feels to me like he's slipped significantly this year. So I think it's possible to upgrade over Shawn defensively this offseason (Deng being the obvious option).

There's also a *ton* of room for improvement in the backup bigs. You can upgrade massively in that area by replacing Wright and Blair's minutes with a quality defender.

If Shawn leaves and you replace him with a true 3, you could also help your defense by finding a true backup 4 that can defend. Shawn loses a lot of his defensive and rebounding advantages when he plays 4.

But in the end, there's only so much you can do to help the starting lineup if it includes Calderon and Monta. I think Calderon has played well enough that he can be traded as a semi-asset. If you can get a PG that fits better and is above average defensively, you can compensate the spacing issues caused by losing Calderon by getting a starting 3 that can shoot and has to be defended on the wing.

Oh, and for the resident Jose homer, I actually agree that Jose is significantly underrated by the general Mavs fan base. He's been really important this season. But you're shooting your argument in the foot when you complain about Dirk getting more praise and you run Monta down to that degree.
Agree on Marion and definitely on how underrated Calderon has been. I honestly think he has been solid for most of the season. He disappeared at times, but he is a warrior and I love his emotion on the court.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #47
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

I see plenty of room for improvement from this year's roster. A true backup 4 so Dirk isn't playing so much, a starting caliber center, a defensive 2 that can shoot and let Monta handle the ball. Rebounding and defense pretty much. Get some nasty defenders/rebounders to throw out there to make the other teams star uncomfortable. Basically a Deshawn or Chandler type that's gonna get nasty. We don't need the Kenyon Martin's or Birdman's of the world having career nights catching alley oops all night long.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #48
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I continue to think the biggest backcourt issue defensively is monta. He's an undersized SG. At least Calderon has the size for the position.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-27-2014 at 09:39 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I continue to think the biggest backcourt issue defensively is monta. He's an undersized. At least Calderon has the size for the position.
At least Monta's size and quickness allow him to stay in front of his man. Calderon can't stay in front of...well...anyone who has even the slightest amount of quickness.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that either Monta or Jose MUST be traded this offseason for this roster to have a chance at fighting for a title.

Offseason Needs to go something like this: Splash around some of that money getting a very good all around player (ex: Deng/Stevenson) and then move either Monta or Jose for a defensive stud Guard who can be your 3rd option on offense.

I might be dreaming, but those kinds of moves feel in the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 03-27-2014 at 06:16 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody flippin' start the DGT already!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do it but my record is terrible.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #53
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

GermanStandard going by German Standard Time apparently.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #54
HopeIsAlwaysThere
Golden Member

HopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of light

I guess Jose is a type of player that you will miss when he is not here, I agree that he don't have much defense, but he can shoot the three and feed the ball to Dirk, and most importantly, Dirk want him in the team, that's why we acquire him

I believe we need to sign a small forward in the summer, for example, Deng or Ariza, then move Marion to the bench, who will be solid with the second unit, a SG like Stephenson or Hayward, who can defend, then we can either start Monta or Jose on the PG role, and one of them as a sixth man off the bench.
HopeIsAlwaysThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #55
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm thinking that either Monta or Jose MUST be traded this offseason for this roster to have a chance at fighting for a title.

Offseason Needs to go something like this: Splash around some of that money getting a very good all around player (ex: Deng/Stevenson) and then move either Monta or Jose for a defensive stud Guard who can be your 3rd option on offense.

I might be dreaming, but those kinds of moves feel in the realm of possibility.
All sorts of moves are within the realm of possibility - we're going to have a ton of cap space and tradable assets going into this summer...

Ellis: $8.7m
Calderon: $7.0m
Wright: $5.0m
Ellington: $2.5m
Larkin: $1.6m
Ledo: $800k
Mekel: $800k

Total: $26.5m

2014-15 cap: $62m
Available cap space: ~$35.5m

We need to re-up Dirk, figure out if we want to pick up the $3.8m option on Dalembert, and make decisions on Marion, Carter, Harris, Blair, Crowder and James.

I can see us keeping Dalembert as a backup/insurance policy at that price, plus Carter and Harris will probably come back on the cheap - they both seem to prefer playing for this franchise. James is gone, Blair is likely gone if/when we get a true starting center, but Crowder could probably be retained at a reasonable price and continue to develop under Carlisle... The big question is Marion - he's definitely declined, but he can still contribute mightily to a playoff contender. I'd love to see him take a hometown discount to come off the bench as a backup 3/4, but he'll likely get a better offer (money/role-wise).

At this point our offseason completely hinges on how much Dirk takes... He's easily worth $16m per in this current CBA, but a Duncan-esque $10m is what most folks are predicting. He can technically take as little as $2.5m/year, so I'd love to see him out-cool Duncan and sign for something in the range of $6-8m just so the Mavs can stack talent. Either way, Dirk is the first domino of the offseason.

And I'm not even getting into trades until this summer because all of our players have good value - we'll just have to wait and see what's on the table.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-27-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #56
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Hey Mr. Hypocrite on realgm... I wouldn't give a damn if you use the content or parts of it of one of my posts on your board. Calm down bro. This is not a scientific article were you have to have to mark citations if you take some contents from elsewhere.

And actually, one of your fellow posters over there was absolutely right. I complained about Rick's idiotic substitutions concerning Dirk already much earlier. Look here if you don't believe it: http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...03#post1329403
It's from that stupid GSW game we lost in December because of Rick's idiocy.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 03-27-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #57
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
At least Monta's size and quickness allow him to stay in front of his man. Calderon can't stay in front of...well...anyone who has even the slightest amount of quickness.
Watch monta play defense. For a guy who is super quick, he sucks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #58
jumperh

jumperh is on a distinguished road

I was done with this post, but then I saw tonight's game vs the Clippers, none selfish Monta HAHAHAHA 4-19 OMG where's that guy saying that Monta wasn't a selfish player, my god the best shooter of the team with 6 attempts and *** Monta Ellis with 19, that's such a joke... he even shoot like 4 shots in the last 5 minutes of the game... Man you can't do that, when he started the game with an 0-6 from the field. Thanks for those nice comments on Calderon, one of the most underrated player in the NBA, was in the Raptors now in the mavs, at least Raptors fans loved him.

Ps: btw I'm not talking shit about monta, just saying...

Last edited by sike; 03-28-2014 at 05:24 PM.
jumperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #59
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Kante; 03-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote