Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

We've heard 1000 rumors about thim though. That article doesn't really give anymore insight on anything new pertaining to Damp. I finally think that Mavs have a 5% chance at him. Better then 0.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #42
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

The more the Dallas Mavericks are not mentioned in any rumors pertaining to acquiring Erick Dampier the higher the probability is of us actually acquiring him from my perspective.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #43
GIGEMLAW

GIGEMLAW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
The following trades are all trade that are made for the purpose of trimming the roster. The mavs might lose talent... but they have no choice because they need to get their roster down. NOTE: THESE TRADES ASSUME THAT WE TRADE DAMPIER FOR STACKHOUSE SO WE COULD AFFORD TO LOSE A CENTER/PF.

1st trade:
Dallas trades: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Keith Van Horn (16.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.5 minutes)
SF Desmond Mason (14.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +7.1 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Milwaukee trades: SF Keith Van Horn (16.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.5 minutes)
SF Desmond Mason (14.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Milwaukee receives: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
C Calvin Booth (4.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 71 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
Change in team outlook: -7.1 ppg, +6.3 rpg, and +0.5 apg

2nd Trade:
Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

Toronto trades: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Toronto receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.9 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

3rd Trade:
Dallas trades: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -0.7 ppg, -4.5 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

New York trades: SG Anfernee Hardaway (9.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.6 minutes)
New York receives: Jon Stefansson ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
PF Christian Laettner (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.7 ppg, +4.5 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

All trades involve our expiring contracts as a reason for the other team to accept the trade. Also, all the teams have less than 12 players.

Why on earth would Dallas do most of these? Rather than taking on long-term junk, the Mavs would be better off trading the expiring contracts for individual trade exceptions to cap friendly teams. Thus, they would avoid lont-term cap issues.

Now, if you package the expiring contracts for something quality and long term then that is fine. But, our expiring contracts for an old "has been" like Jalen Rose is rediculous. Now, if we took our crap like TAW or Bradley and packaged it with an expiring contract, I might conisider a Jalen Rose deal or its equivalent.
GIGEMLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #44
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

As I said earlier about those 3 trades......

MILW to trade Mason for "misc"? Wont happen.
DAL to trade Howard for "misc"? Wont happen.
DAL to trade "all exp deals" for long-term junk? Wont happen
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #45
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

other than Dampier, the only player I would like Dallas to put up a serious offer for is Rashard Lewis...and if it comes down to choosing one or the other, I'd take Lewis.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #46
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road

I'll post the same trade here that I posted on dallasbasketball.com. I had to change my login here and I'll post here, also.

The Bobcats don't have much cap room left, so we get Drobnjak with our trade exception and a draft pick.

The Mavs trade Stackhouse to Charlotte so he goes back to NC. It's not Jamison like it was thought of before. We traded for the #5 pick instead of getting the #4 from Charlotte in the draft. With the Bobcat draft pick for Stackhouse we get a $7 Million trade exception.

I think the Mavs get Dale Davis from GS. We trade Henderson, who makes a little less money, but GS saves even more money if they leave him on IR all year and let insurance pick up 80% of his salary. Both guys have expiring contracts. Foyle is already there making big money.

I don't know if we would have to take Eschmeyer, but it would probably entail us trading Najera somewhere. We could also trade Laettner and not use up a large portion of the exception. I hope it doesn't come to this.

We give up a pick and the trade exception for Dampier. He starts at $7 Million with 12.5% raises. I'm guessing this is a long-term deal.

Since we've now added 1 player, we must make more trades. I see Bradley going to Utah for a draft pick.

Any future moves are a little fuzzy. It might come down to not signing Avery, buying out TAW, or not renewing Steffanson. I would believe that future moves would be in order because there are too many people at the 4/5 positions and less at 1-3. TAW, Laettner, and Drobjnak are the other guys at risk to be traded. The Mavs would be looking to trade for a backup PF or to get a real SF. That's where I'm putting my money. Trading guys for picks is the last resort.

Without the trades we have the following 17 players:

Dampier/Davis/Booth/DJ/Pavel
Dirk/Laettner/Najera/Drobnjak
Fin/Howard/TAW
Daniels/Steffanson
Terry/Harris/Avery

When Cuban bought the Mavs he said he wanted to be like Portland and the next 2 weeks and months should put us closer to being like Portland than we ever have been.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #47
DallasMavs412004

DallasMavs412004 is on a distinguished road

What would you be interested in giving up to land Rashard Lewis?
DallasMavs412004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #48
lonny22

It would have to be Stackhouse going to Seattle for Lewis if they didn't trade him to get Dampier. That's contingent on whether or not Ray Allen gets traded or signs for big money. Maybe we could get lucky and trade last-year Laettner and our other trade exception for Lewis if Seattle went on a fire sale to save money. I'm not betting on that to happen.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #49
mapape

mapape is on a distinguished road

I would definitley go all out to get Rashard Lewis. He would fi in very well here with his shooting touch. Laettner might be the ticket for that.
mapape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #50
lonny22

Based upon my assumption that the Mavs get Dampier and Davis, here are candidates for reducing the roster, balancing the frontcourt and backcourt, and adding to the SF/PF depth.

Lamond Murray might be available, but he goes in a 1 for 1 swap.
Jalen Rose, Keith Van Horn, Shawn Marion (I doubt it), and Grant Hill are big salary dumps for SF's. I'm not counting on Peja being traded.
You can take your pick of Philly or Knicks guys.
Kidd isn't out of the question until October. I have my doubts that he's coming.
I'm not sure that Wally or Croshere get traded, but we can combine 2 salaries for them.
Taylor and Spoon in Houston might be alternatives.
Eddie Robinson is still in Chicago, as is Antonio Davis.

All of the PF's would serve only as backups. Some of the SF's could start, but probably wouldn't.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #51
endtroducing
Golden Member

for Lewis? I'd send them Howard and Stackhouse.

and if Seattle gets apprehensive, give them a future pick. I know you guys have a hard on for Howard, but Lewis does the same things as him, but better.

trims down our roster, we get a great SF, Seattle gets a relatively short term contract (and two great players) to take the sting out of Allen's huge deal.

Marquis becomes our sixth man. one of the remaining Wizards + Najera could be dealt for a legit backup SF, like a Jamal Mashburn...since New Orleans seems to be intent on getting rid of the guy. he's not a starter anymore, but I think he could be a serviceable guy off the bench. don't know if they would do it or not, but I would like it a lot.

PG: Terry/Harris/Steffanson
SG: Finley/Daniels/Terry
SF: Lewis/Mashburn/Daniels
PF: Dirk/Henderson/Booth
C: Bradley/Booth/Benga

IR: Pavel, Avery, Abdul-Wahad

15 players. sexy. and who would like to see someone try to drive in (ahem, Kobe) on a 6'10, 7'0, 7'6 combo?

edit- hell, I would take Big Dog for Laettner and Najera. either Mashburn or Robinson would be perfectly fine, and I would prefer Big Dog...expiring deal.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #52
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing

one of the remaining Wizards + Najera could be dealt for a legit backup SF, like a Jamal Mashburn...since New Orleans seems to be intent on getting rid of the guy. he's not a starter anymore, but I think he could be a serviceable guy off the bench. don't know if they would do it or not, but I would like it a lot.
I think najera is better suited to be our backup SF. We dont need to bring in another big scorer if we get lewis, i would rather have a backup that is more of a role player. If we get mash, we would be in the same logjam as before. Also, najera can help at PF and is a croud favorite. We would have 16 players... we might have to cut seff.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #53
endtroducing
Golden Member

I don't see how Mash creates a logjam...he can only play SF, and he's on his last legs. he can play 20 minutes a game.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:12 PM   #54
fin4life

Quote:
I don't see how Mash creates a logjam...he can only play SF, and he's on his last legs. he can play 20 minutes a game.
Mash doesnt play any defense. He shoots a lot of shots at a poor precentage. He would complain about minutes.

Najera is a good defender. He shoots a high percentage on good shots. He never complains.... he just does his job.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #55
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Isiah takes last shot at Dampier

BY MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Their chances are considered slim, if not none, but the Knicks could find out as soon as today if Erick Dampier is going to wind up as their starting center for next season.
Returning to work after moving into his Westchester home last week, team president Isiah Thomas is expected to talk to Dampier and his agent, Dan Fegan, in what could be a last-ditch effort to work the impossible.

For nearly two months, Thomas has been unable to work a sign-and-trade with Golden State, and nothing has changed on that front. The Warriors have no interest in Kurt Thomas or anyone else that Thomas has offered. So Isiah Thomas somehow will have to convince Dampier to take the mid-level exception, starting at around $5 million, rather than the four-year, $40 million standing offer that the Atlanta Hawks have on the table.

Several league sources said that Dampier, 30, who walked away from $17 million that he had coming to him from the Warriors over the next two years in order to gain his free agency this summer, is not about to pass up the Hawks' money.

Memphis has also tried to land Dampier, who attended the Grizzlies' two home playoff losses to San Antonio and comes from Monticello, Miss. But as much as team president Jerry West wants to get him and move Pau Gasol to power forward, the Grizzlies have been unable to strike a deal with the Warriors. One person with knowledge of the trade talks said last night that Memphis is out of the running, adding, "We all expect Dampier to go to Atlanta. They've got more money than anybody else."

Other than getting the 6-11 Dampier, whom many see as a good rebounder but a career underachiever, the Knicks have no other options to upgrade at center. They might have to go into the season again starting the 6-10 Nazr Mohammed, who is more suited to coming off the bench as a reserve power forward.

While Thomas keeps his fingers crossed on Dampier, the Knicks are almost certain to re-sign Vin Baker this week. The two sides have had an agreement for the last several weeks, with the backup forward expected to get a two-year deal worth slightly more than $3.2 million. Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said yesterday that Baker and the Knicks should make it formal tomorrow or Wednesday, regardless of what happens with Dampier. Only Cleveland has shown interest in Baker during the offseason.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully they start Vin Baker at center LMAO.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

G-rob and Mashburn would be fine

if we were okay with another year of bad chemistry and selfish ball.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #58
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Lewis is a Nellie wet dream......but most likely also a pipe dream.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #59
fin4life

New news might make it more realistic for this deal to happen. Charlotte has traded peja drobniak to ATL for a second rounder and TE. That gives charlotte another 2.8 mil in cap room. They now have about 9.2mil dollars in room... If they mavs game them stack/najera (10.8mil) in exchange for the 9.2 TE and a 1st rounder, they could send the money (and some of our TE from Atl along with the ATL draft Pick) to GS for esch (3.1) and Damp(7). The trade would lok like this.

Dallas Trades: Stackhouse, Najera, ATL pick
Dallas Recieves: Damp, Esch, Charlotte Pick (much better than the ATL pick considering the ATL pick may never happen)

Charloote Trades: 9.2 TE, 1st rounder
Charlotte Recieves: Stack, Najera

GS Trade: Damp, Esh
GS gets: TE, ATL pick

- I know that most people are saying that ATL will probaly get Damp now... but this trade makes a lot of sense for all teams and allows GS to get under the cap (they are about 3mil over).
Old 08-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #60
endtroducing
Golden Member

I'm guessing you'd use Eschmeyer as a backup PF?

if we get Dampier without getting rid of a big man, jeeze...Bradley, Booth, Dampier, Eschmeyer Benga, Pavel, Laettner...there's way too many big spares to go around.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #61
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
New news might make it more realistic for this deal to happen. Charlotte has traded peja drobniak to ATL for a second rounder and TE. That gives charlotte another 2.8 mil in cap room. They now have about 9.2mil dollars in room... If they mavs game them stack/najera (10.8mil) in exchange for the 9.2 TE and a 1st rounder, they could send the money (and some of our TE from Atl along with the ATL draft Pick) to GS for esch (3.1) and Damp(7). The trade would lok like this.

Dallas Recieves: Damp, Esch, Charlotte Pick (much better than the ATL pick considering the ATL pick may never happen)

- I know that most people are saying that ATL will probaly get Damp now... but this trade makes a lot of sense for all teams and allows GS to get under the cap (they are about 3mil over).
Pack it up and ship it to Cubes
Old 08-16-2004, 04:16 PM   #62
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Bradley, Booth, Dampier, Eschmeyer Benga, Pavel, Laettner
Laettner is a pure PF.
Dampier is a starter at the 5
Booth and Bradley are both backups
and
Podkolzine/M'Benga will likely share the IR with Henderson barring a trade.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #63
endtroducing
Golden Member

take out Charlotte's first rounder and it'd go through.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #64
endtroducing
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Laettner is a pure PF.
and
still too many guys. that'd put TAW and AJ on the roster.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #65
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

AJ should be on the roster and TAW should be traded away or bought out.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

AJ should be on the roster and TAW should be traded away or bought out.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #67
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You know, it is amazing how much better I think this team would be if Dampier comes here and plays like he did last year! I know Nash hurts, but with Terry and Harris, I think that will be fine. When you then factor in the added maturity of our sophomores and the fact that we wont be playing out of position NEARLY as much, (Finley likely still will be though), I think you have a much better overall team!!!

Ultimately, we lost NASH and two forwards that, while talented, were not needed on the team and replaced them with a very talented PG to take Steve's spot, a real Center, and role players!!!

Am I in the minority here, or do a lot of you likewise think we could definitely be more dangerous than last year IF we get a motivated Dampier to definitely keep Dirk at PF???
Old 08-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #68
fin4life

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Laettner is a pure PF.
and
still too many guys. that'd put TAW and AJ on the roster.
There are still too many guys... that is why we would need to do a 2-1, or 3-1, or cut steffonsen of do something to take down 2 more spots. MAYBE, i repeat, MAYBE tariq could help us out and play 8 or 9 minutes per game at SF considering we would lose 2 SFs (najera, Stack) in the trade.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:42 PM   #69
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am I in the minority here, or do a lot of you likewise think we could definitely be more dangerous than last year IF we get a motivated Dampier to definitely keep Dirk at PF???
With the team we have right now I see us pushing 50+ wins. With a trade that netted us an upgrade at either starting SF or C I'd consider this team to be undoubtedly superior to last year's.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #70
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
You know, it is amazing how much better I think this team would be if Dampier comes here and plays like he did last year! I know Nash hurts, but with Terry and Harris, I think that will be fine. When you then factor in the added maturity of our sophomores and the fact that we wont be playing out of position NEARLY as much, (Finley likely still will be though), I think you have a much better overall team!!!

Ultimately, we lost NASH and two forwards that, while talented, were not needed on the team and replaced them with a very talented PG to take Steve's spot, a real Center, and role players!!!

I think that it is very likely for the mavs to be better next year (if we get damp escpecially). We will be better on D at 4 positions, we will have a younger core, we will have someone in the middle who will have to be part of the gameplan. We might become the most versitle team in the league because we could play D, shoot, penetrate, run, or rely on the post game with our big guys.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #71
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You can call Najera a SF all you want, but he is WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too slow to be anything other than a PF these days, (and an undersized one at that)! I also dont think we have a depth problem at SF... With Finley starting, and Howard cleaning up his minutes, the only problem you would face is during an injury... The real depth issue is at SG... If Daniels starts like he has been promised, who backs him up??? Steph???
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #72
endtroducing
Golden Member

Finley and Terry (maybe even Howard) could play behind Daniels...I see a pretty even distribution of minutes between Fin, Howard and Marquis happening. Plus, there's always guys like Dion Glover available.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #73
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
With the team we have right now I see us pushing 50+ wins. With a trade that netted us an upgrade at either starting SF or C I'd consider this team to be undoubtedly superior to last year's.
With my question including the acquisition of Dampier, I will take this as a definite YES!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #74
fin4life

Quote:
take out Charlotte's first rounder and it'd go through.
I dont think that the 1st rounder is too much to ask. Charlotte will be recieving 2 starters in this deal including stack (who will be their franchise player for a year or 2). I think they are getting a very fair deal here... 2 good priced players who will imediatley become their 1st and 3rd best players.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #75
fin4life

Quote:
You can call Najera a SF all you want, but he is WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too slow to be anything other than a PF these days, (and an undersized one at that)! I also dont think we have a depth problem at SF... With Finley starting, and Howard cleaning up his minutes, the only problem you would face is during an injury... The real depth issue is at SG... If Daniels starts like he has been promised, who backs him up??? Steph???
Injuries do happen... and they must be prepared for. Also, howard may not be ready to play 30+ minutes per game and also steff may not be ready.

Daniels/Howard/Steff
Fin/Howard/TAW

I wouldnt mind adding someone who can be trusted at the 2/3... an Adrian Griffin type player. Maybe someone like that could be thrown in in a 3 for 2 trade.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #76
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Finley and Terry (maybe even Howard) could play behind Daniels...I see a pretty even distribution of minutes between Fin, Howard and Marquis happening.
Yeah... That is likely true... Im sure the minutes will work out...

This is how I would do it after losing Najera and Stackhouse in a trade for Dampier:

C - Dampier(32), Bradley(8), Booth(8)
PF - Dirk(38), L8(10)
SF - Finley(24), Howard(24)
SG - Daniels(30), Finley(12), Terry(6)
PG - Terry(28), Harris(20)
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #77
fin4life

Quote:
Quote:
Finley and Terry (maybe even Howard) could play behind Daniels...I see a pretty even distribution of minutes between Fin, Howard and Marquis happening.

This is how I would do it after losing Najera and Stackhouse in a trade for Dampier:

PF - Dirk(38), L8(10)
I really like your assessment of minutes... but now lets look at the players who will be on the bench.

Benga, PPod, Steff, AJ, TAW, Henderson, Eshemeyer

4 Players who are 4/5, 1 player who is a pure PG, 1 player who is a 2/3 tweener, 1 player who is a 1/2 tweener.

-TAW and Henderson wont be activated no matter what... we would rather have insurance pay for them.
-Steff is the only guy who can play 2 is daniels, howard, or Finley do down.

I have no confidence in steff... im not even sure if he deserves a roster spot.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #78
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PF - Dirk(38), L8(10)
I really like your assessment of minutes... but now lets look at the players who will be on the bench.

Benga, PPod, Steff, AJ, TAW, Henderson, Eshemeyer

4 Players who are 4/5, 1 player who is a pure PG, 1 player who is a 2/3 tweener, 1 player who is a 1/2 tweener.

-TAW and Henderson wont be activated no matter what... we would rather have insurance pay for them.
-Steff is the only guy who can play 2 is daniels, howard, or Finley do down.

I have no confidence in steff... im not even sure if he deserves a roster spot.
Yup... Just like I originally said... The real problem is depth at the SG spot unless you play Terry heavy minutes there!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #79
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Interesting, but I don't think Charollote trades a first rounder for anything, much less for Stackhouse and Najera. They certainly wouldn't pay nearly $10M AND a first round pick for the rights to Stackhouse and Najera.

I also don't think Dallas has any interest in adding Dampier.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #80
lonny22

That Atlanta trade is great news. Drobnjak had to be traded for Charlotte to have cap room to take Stackhouse. The Mavs didn't take him, so that's one less roster spot for us.

Stackhouse and Najera can't be traded together to get a trade exception. Stack will go alone and get a first round pick back.

The trade exception will go to Dampier, but we'll have to give him 6 years since he can only start at $7 Million a year.

I still say Henderson and Davis are traded for each other and Bradley goes to Utah.

Dampier, Davis, Booth (IR DJ and Pavel)
Dirk, Booth, Laettner, Najera (IR TAW)
Fin, Howard
Daniels, Stef
Terry, Harris (No AJ unless we have another big trade)

Even without Avery, the Mavs have 1 too many bodies and hopefully it doesn't come to buyouts.