Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 AM   #161
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
LOL

Being exposed

Before covid hit they had won 4 straight games but they only had one guy out (KP) and everyone seemed to have been put in a specific role.

Covid takes away 3 starters and now guys are being exposed (I guess you could view it that way if you don't feel those guys missing helps).

Gotcha
I didn’t say we didn’t miss the starters. I am just saying that a system or offensive scheme might help those we aren’t good or crearive enough.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #162
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

disappointed in the team thus far
Our Mavs went from fourth best record in West to 10th best in just a few days.
Lakers, Clippers and Jazz sitting up top with 4th - 10th teams 1.5 games apart.

Chuck Cooperstein@coopmavs
Mavs have lost three straight after not losing three straight all last season.
They now have lost four games by 15+ after losing only five by 15+ all last season.
More importantly now 3-5 vs East where, because the West is so demanding, you must make your hay.

Mavs next 8 games - I think we go 4-4 in these.
Indiana Pacers
San Antonio Spurs
Houston Rockets
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz
Phoenix Suns
Phoenix Suns

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 01-19-2021 at 06:57 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #163
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
disappointed in the team thus far
Our Mavs went from fourth best record in West to 10th best in just a few days.
Lakers, Clippers and Jazz sitting up top with 4th - 10th teams 1.5 games apart.

Chuck Cooperstein@coopmavs
Mavs have lost three straight after not losing three straight all last season.
They now have lost four games by 15+ after losing only five by 15+ all last season.
More importantly now 3-5 vs East where, because the West is so demanding, you must make your hay.

Mavs next 8 games - I think we go 4-4 in these.
Indiana Pacers
San Antonio Spurs
Houston Rockets
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz
Phoenix Suns
Phoenix Suns
At this point I see 2-6

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #164
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Tim Hardaway Jr. went 0-for-12 from the floor tonight, the worst single-game performance in Mavericks history.

His father holds the NBA record for the most misses without a make, going 0-for-17 with the Warriors in 1991.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #165
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Tim Hardaway Jr. went 0-for-12 from the floor tonight, the worst single-game performance in Mavericks history.

His father holds the NBA record for the most misses without a make, going 0-for-17 with the Warriors in 1991.
THJ not consistent enough to be a top 3 or even 4 option. Having 2 good games in a 7-game series, 2 where you disappear, and 3 so-so, is not going to get it done when a team gets to the playoffs. He's fine for an off the bench scorer when he's hot, but his defense is not good enough to offset a poor shooting night which is compounded by his lack of aggressiveness attacking the rim when shots aren't falling. I have no problem with him being on the roster. I do have issues though with him being put in positions where I don't think he's going to be successful. He's just not consistent enough.

Last edited by turin; 01-19-2021 at 10:16 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #166
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointed in the team?

We haven't had a full team yet. WE played with a fat Luka and no KP. Then we lost half of our rotation players.

Is it fun to watch them right now? Absolutely not. I don't see how you can be disappointed that a team withouthalf their rotation is not playing well.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #167
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
THJ not consistent enough to be a top 3 or even 4 option. Having 2 good games in a 7-game series, 2 where you disappear, and 3 so-so, is not going to get it done when a team gets to the playoffs. He's fine for an off the bench scorer when he's hot, but his defense is not good enough to offset a poor shooting night which is compounded by his lack of aggressiveness attacking the rim when shots aren't falling. I have no problem with him being on the roster. I do have issues though with him being put in positions where I don't think he's going to be successful. He's just not consistent enough.
Yep this is why I compared him to Jet Terry or Jordan Clarkson.

He should be a permanent fixture as 6th man.

Defensively, the mavs try to hide him but you can't play him next to Luka for long stretches of games because he can't defend PG's and bigger wing players take advantage of him.

That was one of the main problems why they had so many issues defensively last year.

It's similar to Portland with Lilliard and McCollum they've done everything to fix their defense and it hasn't worked because they play two great scorers in the backcourt but neither guy defends well.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #168
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Ty Terry has looked pretty decent in the few minutes he has received. He purportedly has high BB IQ - which he showed when i saw him play. Yes - i understand he is 0-5 from 3pt. Let's give him some more time every game, and see if he can develop. I would have way preferred to see Green get more minutes, and Ty Terry get 15-20 minutes last night, than THJ. Burke on many nights also isn't all that great offensively either, and tends to be mediocre on defense. I don't see how Ty Terry would be worse than THJ last night. THJ was 0-12 on offense, and pretty frequently getting burned on D.

Everyone talks about trading for this or that player. Green really made an impact in the game last night. Great - keep giving him minutes. How about we also give 10 minutes a night to Ty Terry? (and reduce Burke's minutes).

Green and Terry might be replacements/upgrades to THJ and Burke. We need to find out. If RC has patience to let THJ play through horrible 0-12 type games, and then keep playing him, he should also have some patience to play Green and Ty Terry, and let those guys develop.

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 01-19-2021 at 01:12 PM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #169
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
Ty Terry has looked pretty decent in the few minutes he has received. He purportedly has high BB IQ - which he showed when i saw him play. Yes - i understand he is 0-5 from 3pt. Let's give him some more time every game, and see if he can develop. I would have way preferred to see Green get more minutes, and Ty Terry get 15-20 minutes last night, than THJ. Burke on many nights also isn't all that great offensively either, and tends to be mediocre on defense. I don't see how Ty Terry would be worse than THJ last night. THJ was 0-12 on offense, and pretty frequently getting burned on D.

Everyone talks about trading for this or that player. Green really made an impact in the game last night. Great - keep giving him minutes. How about we also give 10 minutes a night to Ty Terry? (and reduce Burke's minutes).

Green and Terry might be replacements/upgrades to THJ and Burke. We need to find out. If RC has patience to let THJ play through horrible 0-12 type games, and then keep playing him, he should also have some patience to play Green and Ty Terry, and let those guys develop.
Terry is 0-6 technically and if he didn't have his foot on the line would be 0-7. He has been ok in spot minutes but I don't see how he takes mins from Brunson or Burke.

Terry on the other hand. He deserves for his minutes to keep climbing.

There's no way I'd re sign THJ unless he wants to sign an 10mil deal. We f this up by bidding against ourself...anywhere near what he currently makes and everyone would be pissed and no one would be shocked.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-19-2021 at 02:14 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #170
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Man, everyone going off on THJ. He’s hurt and shouldn’t be playing. Unless we can trade him in a large deal that is an absolute no-brainer I suspect he’ll be back with us on something like a 4yr-60m deal. JRich same, although he’ll likely get a larger deal, and of course he may want to go to another team. Letting either of them walk, unless it’s in a SnT would be a terrible use of assets. There is nobody worth a max deal that could slot in to the 34m or so we will have.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #171
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Man, everyone going off on THJ. He’s hurt and shouldn’t be playing. Unless we can trade him in a large deal that is an absolute no-brainer I suspect he’ll be back with us on something like a 4yr-60m deal. JRich same, although he’ll likely get a larger deal, and of course he may want to go to another team. Letting either of them walk, unless it’s in a SnT would be a terrible use of assets. There is nobody worth a max deal that could slot in to the 34m or so we will have.
And he is having a really good season so far. People love to bitch.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #172
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And he is having a really good season so far. People love to bitch.
He is. I wish we hadn’t allowed him to play yesterday. Groin injuries are no joke and we were playing a good team on the second of a b2b with 3 starters missing.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #173
mac222b
Diamond Member

I love how active Green is off the ball as a dive cutter and also offensive rebounder. Good instincts. His pull up J was nice too. His attempts from 3 have seemed flat, no arc.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #174
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This is why I was pissed they traded Curry. This team can't win with THJ as the 3rd option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I love how active Green is off the ball as a dive cutter and also offensive rebounder. Good instincts. His pull up J was nice too. His attempts from 3 have seemed flat, no arc.
Green is a new Wes Matthews to me.

Last edited by Heezzi; 01-19-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #175
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
This is why I was pissed they traded Curry. This team can't win with THJ as the 3rd option.

Green is a new Wes Matthews to me.
Your takes are as hot and dark as the inside of a Hot Pocket. Dear lord.

Green has played less than 150 minutes and shoots less per minute than basically anyone.

Curry was a cool dude, but we weren’t going anywhere with him. Rich was real nice before he was out

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-19-2021 at 10:10 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #176
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Green is the absolute antithesis of Wes Matthews. He's actually a really good defender and doesn't chuck up shots at all.

It's pretty clear who watches the games and who doesn't around here.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #177
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
I didn’t say we didn’t miss the starters. I am just saying that a system or offensive scheme might help those we aren’t good or crearive enough.
yeah I agree but I don't think RC is ever going to change his scheme

I've been wanting a system to for years to fit the actual skill of the players but the Mavs like most other teams have fallen in love with a system calling for a high frequency of 3's

I personally think you can still win games with the Mid Range shot and low post play.

So for example you'll never see a guy like DeMarr DeRozan (mid Range shooter) or Andre Drummond (low Post scorer) in Dallas.