Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of
Default The Mavs Front Court Dilemma what would you do?

Should KP play the 5 or 4.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...eir-frontcourt

By most accounts, the Mavericks looked like a top-10 defense — and they were. There was just one problem: they weren’t defending the paint well.

Through those first name games, Dallas’s opponents led the league in restricted area field goal percentage at an astonishing 71.4 percent efficiency. The Mavericks were also just 25th in total blocks over that stretch.

So when Porzingis was finally healthy enough to return to the floor, the Mavericks had an interesting decision in front of them. They could run him as the sole big-man — or the “five” — where he looked his best at times last season. Or, the Mavericks could use him as a “four”, and play him with another big.

In four of five games that Porzingis has played in this season, he’s started at that power forward slot — playing alongside Willie Cauley-Stein.

When Porzingis and Cauley-Stein have been on the floor together this season, Dallas has allowed just 97.1 points per 100 possessions, the tenth-lowest among Mavericks’ two-man lineups that have played more than 50 minutes together. They’re also averaging a combined 6.2 blocks per 100 possessions together.

However, the offense isn’t as pungent as Dallas may like. When both Cauley-Stein and Porzingis are on the floor together, the Mavericks have an offensive rating of 101.4 points.

With Porzingis on the floor and Cauley-Stein off, the Mavericks offensive rating shoots up to 110.2 points per 100 possessions.

The increase in offensive production, unfortunately, comes at a serious cost. When Porzingis is on the floor while Cauley-Stein is off, the Mavericks defensive rating skyrockets to 119.3 points allowed per 100 possessions — that’s 22 points higher than when both bigs are on!

Despite his abysmal 67.9 percent shooting on dunks, Cauley-Stein has been pretty good for the Mavericks this season. Dallas has a NET rating of plus-18.7 in the 200 minutes he’s been on the floor this season. His defensive assistance has proved pivotal when placed alongside Porzinigs, despite the lackluster offensive performance.

For now, head coach Rick Carlisle remains pretty confident in his larger-than-life lineup.

“I think KP and Willie proved down the stretch of the game that you can still score points and get stops [while] playing with two bigs,” Rick Carlisle said after a win against the Pacers.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if there's much that can really be done with the current roster, I think it's a personnel problem. I think we need the same thing we've needed since we traded for KP- a 3 and D power forward. Kleber can shoot but not defend. DFS works as a small ball 4, but giving up that much size still hurts defense and rebounding.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly that's why a guy like WCS is so valuable. He is mobile enough to defend both 4/5. Kleber too.

It doesn't particularly matter who plays 4 and who plays 5. KP plays well next to WCS and Kleber.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Honestly that's why a guy like WCS is so valuable. He is mobile enough to defend both 4/5. Kleber too.

It doesn't particularly matter who plays 4 and who plays 5. KP plays well next to WCS and Kleber.
True, but what I'm saying is, the mavs would benefit greatly from having someone next to KP who can both shoot and defend, rather than having to switch between one and the other and pick our poison. WCS can defend, but not shoot. Kleber can shoot but not defend.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally, we could trade for someone like Otto Porter Jr. or Larry Nance Jr so they could defend small-ball fours and wouldn't get cooked when switching onto guards. Barring a roster change, I think Maxi at the 4 and KP at the 5 is our best choice. Just get Maxi guarding the beefier guys in the post and let KP challenge from the weak side.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
True, but what I'm saying is, the mavs would benefit greatly from having someone next to KP who can both shoot and defend, rather than having to switch between one and the other and pick our poison. WCS can defend, but not shoot. Kleber can shoot but not defend.
Kleber was our 2nd best defender (25th at his position in DRPM) behind only KP (7th). He can't defend?

Maybe you mean the opposite? He's a heck of a shooter but in the playoffs he dried up.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-22-2021 at 06:52 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

KP has recently said he likes the 5 because there more room to operate. I understand his take but I'm sorry, figure it the hell out. There are 2 sides of the floor and KP isn't a stellar defender. So since he is not he must play with another big who is mobile and helps defend the rim.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-22-2021 at 07:06 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
KP has recently said he likes the 5 because there more room to operate. I understand his take but I'm sorry, figure it the hell out. There are 2 sides of the floor and KP isn't a stellar defender. So since he is not he must play with another big who is mobile and helps defend the rim.
I think Maxi should start at the 4 only because he can spot up on offense and knock down 3's better than WCS.

As much I like the WCS and KP size up front together I think Maxi offers more balance with KP.

Yes we lose the shot blocking without WCS but I think if Richardson and DFS are starting on the wings that helps to take away some of the dribble penetration and lessens the need for a shot blocker part of the game.

I think the ideal Lineups/Rotations would be

KP/WCS
Kleber/Johnson
DFS/THJ
Richardson/Burke
Luka/Brunson

Then late in games depending on matchups if you need a defensive stop Run out Willie and KP together like they did vs the Pacers.

Green is a nice option on defense to have if either of THJ, Brunson or Burke are struggling on offense with their shot.

I just don't want to see Powell jump ahead of WCS, Kleber or Johnson in the rotation.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-22-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Kleber was our 2nd best defender (25th at his position in DRPM) behind only KP (7th). He can't defend?

Maybe you mean the opposite? He's a heck of a shooter but in the playoffs he dried up.
No, I don't mean the opposite. I think he's an average defensive player. DRPM is a nice stat but it doesn't mean much in a vacuum.

And that fact that KP was our best defensive player last year was precisely the problem. KP is a decent, but he is hardly an elite defensive bigman. If KP and Maxi were really in the upper echelons of defensive players at their positions, then we would have been very good defensive team last year. We were not.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-22-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

In fairness, it should be noted that have yet to see KP and Maxi on the floor with Richardson, arguably our best defensive player. DFS too. So who knows, maybe the offense and the defense will both be humming when we're finally at full strength.