Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 AM   #121
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I was screaming for Shaun Livingston before the Warriors signed him. He seems like a jack of all trades master of none type. Can get to the rim, can drive, decent midrange, and good defense. Knows how to get guys involved etc.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of MCW but I think he could be a Livingston type player. Livingson doesn't shoot 3's and is still highly effective as a player with his length and ability to post smaller guys up. His length allows for switching on defense which would be nice as well. Bucks replaced him with Giannis as pg so I do think his value is at it's lowest just not sure we have the ammo to get him. But the only reason I wouldn't mind MCW is I think he can be a livingston type player but with maybe a better ability to penetrate the paint and not as polished as a post player yet. I'm not saying he's the answer at pg but he would be a nice player in the rotation depending on the price.

Outside of Conley the best options at pg that are gettable in FA(leaving clarkson out cuz rfa) would be Dwill and Lin rly so nothing is exactly an overwhelmingly better option. RC does have a nice history of getting the most out of top round talent that have been labeled disappointments so there's that as well. Pg could be the exception though admittedly given RC's high demands of pg. Him being young though could be a nice off setter in terms of stubborn vs stubborn like Rondo.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #122
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I totally forgot about Lin. I would probably pick him over DWill, assuming both demand equal salary. Lin should do fine with P&R offense that RC likes. Only question is whether RC would actually play him.

The idea of Livingston is quite intriguing and realistic. GSW will probably have to pay a lot to keep their main players and therefore may be looking to cut some unnecessary salary. I still would not pick him over Rubio because of age and I do not really see Livingston as someone who is able to average 30+ minutes a game and stay healthy. Livingston fits as 6th man for me. Anything more and you may end up with DWill's health situation.

On a side note, how much do you think DWill is going to get this off-season? How much would you pay for him? I have trouble Mavs offering him anything more than 8 million. Of course it depends on the situation and he would have to settle with less if he wants to stay and play with Dwight Howard. But assuming the Mavs have money to spend, would you value DWill over 8 million, considering how thin the market for point guards is?
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #123
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
On a side note, how much do you think DWill is going to get this off-season? How much would you pay for him? I have trouble Mavs offering him anything more than 8 million. Of course it depends on the situation and he would have to settle with less if he wants to stay and play with Dwight Howard. But assuming the Mavs have money to spend, would you value DWill over 8 million, considering how thin the market for point guards is?
I'll go up to 8 for his ability to take it up some in the 4th and in crunch time and for roster continuity. If he wants more than that then Lin will be cheaper and I'd take Lin if it's between those two. We can't rely on Dwill for more than 60-65 games and then another 10-15 games where he is hampered with various injuries enough to be nothing more than a body on the floor. Those reasons keep me from offering him much more than 8 a year or much more than whatever Lin would make.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #124
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

This seemed like an appropriate place to put this tidbit:

Tim MacMahon: Chandler Parsons is out of his knee brace. Still extremely unlikely to be available for second round. (Which is extremely unlikely for Mavs)
– via Twitter espn_macmahon
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #125
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I like Lin a lot and he's do well in the pnr...but something about him makes me think Carlisle wouldn't be fond of his play to get heavy minutes.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #126
escobar317

escobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the rough

Any love for Ish Smith?
escobar317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #127
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

14ppg in 25min and 50/40/90 from the guard spot?

#StillNotOverYou
Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #128
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: I know a billionaire who is very intrigued about the possibility of Salah Mejri as the Mavs' starting center next season.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #129
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@espn_macmahon: I know a billionaire who is very intrigued about the possibility of Salah Mejri as the Mavs' starting center next season.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #130
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We need more than just Mejri. Dude is an injury magnet.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #131
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what kind of contract Felton is looking for. He's played well these playoffs. I would almost rather keep him than DWill.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #132
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

We need a real creator is all I know. Dwill at times flashes, JJ or Felton at times when they don't pound the ball can create. Parsons can do it against some defenders but not consistently. But we need a real creator who is a scoring threat himself to draw attention away from the outside shooters and looking at the roster it likely needs to come from the pg spot. I just have no clue who the hell that person is. There are a few guys I wouldn't mind trying but nobody(Conley included) in free agency looks like the ideal player for the current core of guys. We also need a real rebounding presence.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #133
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I'd like Deron back, but if it's a case of signing him that takes us out of the hunt for virtually any other starter-caliber player, I don't think he's worth the money unless he's signing for like $6M per. I'm going to run screaming into the night if we end up spending almost all of our cap space on Parsons, Deron and Powell.

If we were in a scenario where a team like Minnesota offered us Rubio for Simba and some sort of future first-round pick, that's the kind of deal I'd make. Hell, I'd even just let Deron walk if we got Felton back at the right price. I think Felton at like $3-4M is a way better value than what I suspect Deron can get in free agency, and I'd be okay with PG by committee if it meant we could spend more of our cap space on a good center.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #134
nodir41

nodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura about

i would like to sign DIRK, Deron, Parsons if the price is wright...

FA-signing: Ryan Anderson, Whiteside (as i know Dallas we end up with Hibbert and Batum (or even less)

That would leave us with:

Deron, JJ, Harris
Matthews, Anderson
Parsons, Evans
Dirk, Anderson R., Villanueva
Whiteside, Mejri

of course we would need guys for the end of the bench...
nodir41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #135
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodir41 View Post
Dirk is already under contract next season... He has a player option, but there's no reason for him to opt out unless he wants to extend (and he's already indicated that he's going to play next year and see how he feels, so pencil him in for $8.7m).

Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #136
BPo001
Diamond Member

I like this guy more by the minute.

Brad Townsend: Had a one-on-one chat with Mejri, who wonders if Kevin Durant has “balls” enough to go at someone besides rookies.
– via Twitter
Old 04-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #137
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I like this guy more by the minute.

Brad Townsend: Had a one-on-one chat with Mejri, who wonders if Kevin Durant has “balls” enough to go at someone besides rookies.
– via Twitter
I love that guy's spirit and hope he finds a way to build up his lower body in the off-season. He could be a solid starter if he increases his lower body strength.
We'd need a solid backup center if he becomes our starter though but for the chicken feed we are paying him he should be a huge asset for us next season whether a starter or backup.

I'm not as concerned about our center situation because now I think a 2nd or 3rd tier player like Mihinmi or Mozgov could be adequate which would free up cap space to sign a young talented PF, wing or PG with some upside.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-24-2016 at 12:08 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #138
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodir41 View Post

FA-signing: Ryan Anderson, Whiteside (as i know Dallas we end up with Hibbert and Batum (or even less)

That would leave us with:

Deron, JJ, Harris
Matthews, Anderson
Parsons, Evans
Dirk, Anderson R., Villanueva
Whiteside, Mejri

of course we would need guys for the end of the bench...
For one thing, I'd much rather have Batum than Ryan Anderson... he's a better player and would fill a lot more of this team's needs. But I get your point...

But the scenario you pitched is impossible. Parsons is likely getting $20M+ this summer, Whiteside will get a max contract, and Anderson is likely to get something in the neighborhood of $20M as well. We could trade every player on our roster outside of Dirk and would have trouble signing all three of those contracts... lest we forget after that fact that we spent virtually every penny of our cap space on four players, two of whom play the same position.

Let's look at our cap situation:

And let's assume we re-sign Parsons to $20M even, Dirk opts in, Deron opts out and we bring back McGee. That puts us at about $59M against what is currently projected as a $92M salary cap, so we'd have about $32.8M in cap space, with the following free agents to address: Deron, Zaza, Felton, David Lee, Charlie V and Powell (who is a restricted free agent but not one that we have any Bird rights on). Even if we let every one of those guys walk and sign Whiteside at about $23M, what he is eligible for. That gives us this roster:

Barea/Harris
Matthews/Anderson
Parsons/Evans
Nowitzki
Whiteside/Mejri/McGee

With about $10M left to spend in free agency. $10M won't get you Anderson or Batum. Hell, with the weak PG free agent market, it might not even be enough to keep Williams.

Our bottom line this summer is that if we bring back all of our main rotation free agents (Parsons, Williams, Felton and Powell) except for Zaza, we're already looking at being up against the cap. It's going to take some contract gymnastics to afford any of Whiteside, Batum, Anderson or Dwight Howard (who is my personal favorite among available free agents). If we want to bring back Parsons, who I think we should, we probably have to say goodbye to one or both of Barea and Harris, who are both on pretty great contracts, as well as Williams and Powell.

I hope the MBT figures things out this summer, because I really want to believe in our team next year, but they have their work cut out for them unless a lot of things fall our way with free agency.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #139
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
For one thing, I'd much rather have Batum than Ryan Anderson... he's a better player and would fill a lot more of this team's needs. But I get your point...

But the scenario you pitched is impossible. Parsons is likely getting $20M+ this summer, Whiteside will get a max contract, and Anderson is likely to get something in the neighborhood of $20M as well. We could trade every player on our roster outside of Dirk and would have trouble signing all three of those contracts... lest we forget after that fact that we spent virtually every penny of our cap space on four players, two of whom play the same position.

Let's look at our cap situation:

And let's assume we re-sign Parsons to $20M even, Dirk opts in, Deron opts out and we bring back McGee. That puts us at about $59M against what is currently projected as a $92M salary cap, so we'd have about $32.8M in cap space, with the following free agents to address: Deron, Zaza, Felton, David Lee, Charlie V and Powell (who is a restricted free agent but not one that we have any Bird rights on). Even if we let every one of those guys walk and sign Whiteside at about $23M, what he is eligible for. That gives us this roster:

Barea/Harris
Matthews/Anderson
Parsons/Evans
Nowitzki
Whiteside/Mejri/McGee

With about $10M left to spend in free agency. $10M won't get you Anderson or Batum. Hell, with the weak PG free agent market, it might not even be enough to keep Williams.

Our bottom line this summer is that if we bring back all of our main rotation free agents (Parsons, Williams, Felton and Powell) except for Zaza, we're already looking at being up against the cap. It's going to take some contract gymnastics to afford any of Whiteside, Batum, Anderson or Dwight Howard (who is my personal favorite among available free agents). If we want to bring back Parsons, who I think we should, we probably have to say goodbye to one or both of Barea and Harris, who are both on pretty great contracts, as well as Williams and Powell.

I hope the MBT figures things out this summer, because I really want to believe in our team next year, but they have their work cut out for them unless a lot of things fall our way with free agency.
The way I see it we have 3 primary areas of need:
1. Shotblocker/Rebounder/Defender
2. Skilled scorer (preferably someone who can create and get to the basket)
3. Starter quality PG

We will have to compromise in at least one of those areas if we vastly improve in any one of them.
Mejri, Barea and Anderson are key components of filling those needs imo because one of them could step up to fill one of those 3 areas of need when we compromise.

I'm not sure what the priority would be but I'd hate to max out #1 on that list when there might be someone out there who could platoon with Mejri.

If we can sign a skilled scorer then Barea might be adequate at PG with Harris as a backup.

I think Anderson could become a huge piece to the puzzle next year but would really have to step it up offensively if we sign someone like Whiteside.

Bottom line, I think we are in a position where we have to sign the best player that is willing to come here no matter what position they play because this team is in dire need of adding some star power but has some nice pieces at most positions to fill the voids in areas that we simply won't have the cap room to address.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #140
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Bring back Parsons fills your #2 and actually relieves some of the offensive pressure of #3 (starting PG). If we were to sign Howard to fill #1 (blocker/rebounder/defender), then he could also chip in for 12 ppg. At that point, our starting PG needs to bring the ball up the court and play solid defense. If he had a solid three point shot, that would be great.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #141
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder about the two Orlando Magic RFAs : Dedmon and Nicholson. Both are relatively young (26) bigs that have put up decent numbers when they've been given minutes, but for whatever reason have been in and out of the rotation. Dedmon is an athletic near 7-fter, with the potential to be an above average shot blocker and rebounder. Nicholson is around 6'9" and 250. He is mostly an around the basket scorer, but began to develop 3-pt range last year. He rebounds well when given minutes, but his PT has been inconsistent. He is also a smart kid (physics major at St. Bonaventure) with a strong work ethic. He seems like a Carlisle kind of guy.

Both Dedmon and Nicholson were caught in a logjam with Aaron Gordon, Tobias Harris (before being traded), Kyle O'Quinn (traded to the Knicks), Channing Frye (traded to Cleveland), Jason Smith, and Irsan Ilyasova. Assuming that ZaZa, Lee, and Charlie V. are gone, one of these might be a nice, relatively cheap addition to a front line with Powell and Mejri. Of course, if the Magic decide to keep both, then forget it, but an offer of around $3-4M might be all it takes if Orlando is undecided about either of them.

Neither of these guys are game changers, but with a meager list of free agents it might be that you bring back Parsons and Williams and then look for quality young bigs that can rebound, don't have much tread used, and could be thrown into a trade somewhere down the line if they don't develop.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #142
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I wonder about the two Orlando Magic RFAs : Dedmon and Nicholson. Both are relatively young (26) bigs that have put up decent numbers when they've been given minutes, but for whatever reason have been in and out of the rotation. Dedmon is an athletic near 7-fter, with the potential to be an above average shot blocker and rebounder. Nicholson is around 6'9" and 250. He is mostly an around the basket scorer, but began to develop 3-pt range last year. He rebounds well when given minutes, but his PT has been inconsistent. He is also a smart kid (physics major at St. Bonaventure) with a strong work ethic. He seems like a Carlisle kind of guy.

Both Dedmon and Nicholson were caught in a logjam with Aaron Gordon, Tobias Harris (before being traded), Kyle O'Quinn (traded to the Knicks), Channing Frye (traded to Cleveland), Jason Smith, and Irsan Ilyasova. Assuming that ZaZa, Lee, and Charlie V. are gone, one of these might be a nice, relatively cheap addition to a front line with Powell and Mejri. Of course, if the Magic decide to keep both, then forget it, but an offer of around $3-4M might be all it takes if Orlando is undecided about either of them.

Neither of these guys are game changers, but with a meager list of free agents it might be that you bring back Parsons and Williams and then look for quality young bigs that can rebound, don't have much tread used, and could be thrown into a trade somewhere down the line if they don't develop.
I liked Dedmon a lot while he was here two summers ago and I would enjoy seeing him back on the team... I agree that a contract of about $4M is probably enough to pry him from Orlando considering how many minutes Vuc occupies. We likely wouldn't be in the hunt for either Dwight or Whiteside if we spent this $4M though, so we'd be signing him to be Salah's backup. Could do worse.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #143
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

???/Merji/???
Dirk/Parsons/???
Anderson/Parsons/Matthews
Matthews/???/PGs
Barea/Felton/Harris

Roster isn't too bad-- at least for the playoffs when the rotation is smaller-- even if we let Williams walk. We plug in a legitimate starting center into the line up instead of a bunch of scrubs and cast-offs and I'm pretty happy with that. The problem? It probably means making Howard an offer and as much as I dislike the guy, he's provides the heavy rebounding and paint-securing skill we need.

Re-sign Parsons, secure a center via free agency, draft best available with our second round pick. Look for some bargains for cheap role players that can defend and rebound.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #144
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
???/Merji/???
Dirk/Parsons/???
Anderson/Parsons/Matthews
Matthews/???/PGs
Barea/Felton/Harris

Roster isn't too bad-- at least for the playoffs when the rotation is smaller-- even if we let Williams walk. We plug in a legitimate starting center into the line up instead of a bunch of scrubs and cast-offs and I'm pretty happy with that. The problem? It probably means making Howard an offer and as much as I dislike the guy, he's provides the heavy rebounding and paint-securing skill we need.

Re-sign Parsons, secure a center via free agency, draft best available with our second round pick. Look for some bargains for cheap role players that can defend and rebound.
Co-sign, though I'd pencil Parsons in as our starting SF instead of Simba, with the idea (or at least potential) that Parsons is our starting PF when Dirk retires.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #145
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
We need a real creator is all I know. Dwill at times flashes, JJ or Felton at times when they don't pound the ball can create. Parsons can do it against some defenders but not consistently. But we need a real creator who is a scoring threat himself to draw attention away from the outside shooters and looking at the roster it likely needs to come from the pg spot. I just have no clue who the hell that person is.
Isn't that what Barea does?
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #146
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
The way I see it we have 3 primary areas of need:
1. Shotblocker/Rebounder/Defender
2. Skilled scorer (preferably someone who can create and get to the basket)
3. Starter quality PG
Agree on shotblocker, but Mavs need at least one perimeter defender, and someone who can better guard a 4. Mavs didn't lose most games because they couldn't score...they lost because they couldn't stop the other team from scoring. Matthews is the only defensive stalwart on the roster. Need at least 1 other. Defensively, who is a Shawn Marion clone out there? Probably no one....
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #147
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Here is my ideal summer:

1. Sign Mike Conley and Whiteside/Horford (whichever you can get)
2. Release Parsons and Deron
3. Start Conley/Matthews/Simba/Dirk/Whiteside

Now we have 4 legitimate defenders. Let's go to war.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #148
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk2003 View Post
Here is my ideal summer:

1. Sign Mike Conley and Whiteside/Horford (whichever you can get)
2. Release Parsons and Deron
3. Start Conley/Matthews/Simba/Dirk/Whiteside

Now we have 4 legitimate defenders. Let's go to war.
(Obligatory - "Holy crap, D-M is still up")

But I actually like this idea a lot. I'm not tied to Parsons at all. I'd prefer that lineup's defense and reliance on Simba.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #149
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Looks like Parsons is recruiting already:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...d-to-join-mavs
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #150
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more if I tried about putting together a defensive team, but the signs point to Parsons staying. Shame because this team was truly fun to watch during that 6 game streak. I think you could still feasibly put together a defensive unit with Parsons in the picture, but Anderson shouldn't be coming off the bench.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #151
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I couldn't agree more if I tried about putting together a defensive team, but the signs point to Parsons staying. Shame because this team was truly fun to watch during that 6 game streak. I think you could still feasibly put together a defensive unit with Parsons in the picture, but Anderson shouldn't be coming off the bench.
I know Parsons isn't a PF but I think we should think about sandwiching him between Dwight Howard and Justin Anderson like we did Dirk with Tyson and Matrix. Move Dirk to bench to a bench/closer role to play more with Barea and Mejri.
DWill/Matthews/Anderson/Parsons/Howard would be a pretty darn good defensive team with plenty offense and Dirk would single handedly solve our bench scoring woes.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #152
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Parsons absolutely is a PF. GMs drool over the fact he can play SF like Dirk in his early years, but Parsons is absolutely a PF and he's best offensively, defensively, and net while at PF. He also absolutely cannot play next to Dirk unless we have a two-headed Dennis Rodman with eight arms at center, Jason Kidd at PG and Fat Lever at the SG. Otherwise we are worse at rebounding than most middle school teams.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-26-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #153
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I think Anderson would be fine coming off the bench personally. Unless his offensive game improves a lot I think we will be better off with some offense at the 3 and with an improved C and possibly improved pg, so our defense will be fine. Dirk can sit down on the first sub after 5-6mins and Anderson can come in and Parsons slide over to the 4. Mejri can come in as the backup and we won't drop off much but would still have Wes and JA on the perimeter to limit penetration. Then Wes comes out later Parsons comes out as well and Anderson is still in the game and Dirk comes back in. He would still get around 30mins if Parsons is sliding over to the pf when Dirk sits. I think it would give us a chance to get key stops defensively with both Wes and Anderson to close quarters rather than start them.

If we went a different route than Parsons that's fine but I still think Anderson is best served off the bench. A lineup with Conley/Wes/Simba/Dirk/Whiteside may be good defensively but Dirk is not going to get good looks in a lineup like that, just as he did not in that 6 game stretch which was by far the hardest struggle for him of the season. A slow half court grind it out game like that is hard on Dirk and he might barely be a #2 type option in an offense like that. We won those games with JJ Barea playing out of his mind having the best stretch of his entire career. I for one don't think that is sustainable for an 82 game season. All teams would have to do is play Dirk close and force Wes into tough step backs, which obviously had an impact on his efficiency this season and w/out Parsons I don't see how it's getting much better. I believe we saw his catch and shoot numbers were very similar to past numbers he's just not getting as many open looks and open space as he did with lillard and LMA since they allowed him to flourish as a 3rd option. And Conley has never been much more than a 15ppg guy in Memphis and they play a slow pace as well so it's unreasonable to expect him to provide much more than that. We also would either need Powell to greatly improve or have a backup 4 in mind if we moved away from Parsons because Batum(if we chose him instead of conley) cannot play the 4 like Parsons IMO. And if we are spending all our cap on Conley and Whiteside(which is almost 0% chance of happening btw imo) How will we also get a backup 4 with no cap left?

--Edit--
This also is assuming Conley and Whiteside(or Batum/Horford whatever combination of two) both chose to come in to yet another Mavs major roster revamp over other options when all money is likely equal. And we have yet to land even just one 1st option FA and we would be needing to land two in this scenario without having Parsons to recruit(whether that even makes a difference or not).

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 04-27-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #154
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Priority 1 is re-signing Parsons.
Priority 2 is Howard, Horford, Whiteside in that order. If Parsons is already recruiting Howard might as well roll with it.
Priority 3 Deron Williams or some other PG with the money that's left.
Priority 4 Draft well.

The 2 3 and 4 positions are collectively accounted for since Parsons and Wes are interchangeable.

If the Mavs get a legit 30 minute center I would be ecstatic. Let's hope that is the FO focus.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #155
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

One thing to keep in mind regarding Matthews, Parsons, and Anderson is that there are 48+48=96 minutes between just the SG and SF positions when split between 3 players is 32 minutes. Include a little backup 4 and it goes up. There is no reason those three players shouldn't get plenty of playing time.

One other thing, try to compare last years' Zaza to this year's Howard and imagine what next year's Howard would be like on essentially this Mavs team. I know he's got haters and baggage, but him and Parsons really is the best two realistic free agent options going into next year.

Give me this primary 10 man rotation:
Felton / JJB / Harris
Matthew / Anderson
Parson / Anderson
Dirk / Powell
Howard / Mejri

That allows us to play big, medium, semi-small, inside, outside, slow, and fast.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #156
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Parsons absolutely is a PF. GMs drool over the fact he can play SF like Dirk in his early years, but Parsons is absolutely a PF and he's best offensively, defensively, and net while at PF. He also absolutely cannot play next to Dirk unless we have a two-headed Dennis Rodman with eight arms at center, Jason Kidd at PG and Fat Lever at the SG. Otherwise we are worse at rebounding than most middle school teams.
That's why I wonder if Anderson can strive playing alongside Parsons if he plays at PF. While having Anderson play SF.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #157
MavzMan
Golden Member

Actually, Anderson playing SF alongside Parson at PF might reduce the rebounding burden of Parsons. Remember at one point in the fourth quarter in the last game with Anderson getting significant minutes, we were down only one rebound against the best rebounding team in the league.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #158
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I think Anderson would be fine coming off the bench personally. Unless his offensive game improves a lot I think we will be better off with some offense at the 3 and with an improved C and possibly improved pg, so our defense will be fine. Dirk can sit down on the first sub after 5-6mins and Anderson can come in and Parsons slide over to the 4. Mejri can come in as the backup and we won't drop off much but would still have Wes and JA on the perimeter to limit penetration. Then Wes comes out later Parsons comes out as well and Anderson is still in the game and Dirk comes back in. He would still get around 30mins if Parsons is sliding over to the pf when Dirk sits. I think it would give us a chance to get key stops defensively with both Wes and Anderson to close quarters rather than start them.

If we went a different route than Parsons that's fine but I still think Anderson is best served off the bench. A lineup with Conley/Wes/Simba/Dirk/Whiteside may be good defensively but Dirk is not going to get good looks in a lineup like that, just as he did not in that 6 game stretch which was by far the hardest struggle for him of the season. A slow half court grind it out game like that is hard on Dirk and he might barely be a #2 type option in an offense like that. We won those games with JJ Barea playing out of his mind having the best stretch of his entire career. I for one don't think that is sustainable for an 82 game season. All teams would have to do is play Dirk close and force Wes into tough step backs, which obviously had an impact on his efficiency this season and w/out Parsons I don't see how it's getting much better. I believe we saw his catch and shoot numbers were very similar to past numbers he's just not getting as many open looks and open space as he did with lillard and LMA since they allowed him to flourish as a 3rd option. And Conley has never been much more than a 15ppg guy in Memphis and they play a slow pace as well so it's unreasonable to expect him to provide much more than that. We also would either need Powell to greatly improve or have a backup 4 in mind if we moved away from Parsons because Batum(if we chose him instead of conley) cannot play the 4 like Parsons IMO. And if we are spending all our cap on Conley and Whiteside(which is almost 0% chance of happening btw imo) How will we also get a backup 4 with no cap left?

--Edit--
This also is assuming Conley and Whiteside(or Batum/Horford whatever combination of two) both chose to come in to yet another Mavs major roster revamp over other options when all money is likely equal. And we have yet to land even just one 1st option FA and we would be needing to land two in this scenario without having Parsons to recruit(whether that even makes a difference or not).
I see what you're saying, but my issue is that keeping Parsons and bringing in Howard isn't going to fix the broken offense. I don't really see a clear path to fixing the offense to be honest.

And I agree, Barea being on fire helped, but it was the defense during that stretch that really stood out. We held 5 teams in a row to under 90 points which I believe was a team record at least recently.

Mavs need to find an identity, and I truly believe Rick is best as a defensive coach first and foremost. When you start Anderson and Matthews together, then you have two of the best defending sg/sfs in the league. I just don't think Anderson's game makes sense off the bench. A 6th man serves best, at least usually, by providing instant offense. Anderson is likely to never be an instant offense kinda guy. He's a glue guy who is willing to do things most of the other starters won't or are incapable of. He reminds me of Marion who's game was also served better starting because of similar reasons. And just look at the playoffs. Anderson's best overall game was when he started the final one.

I just think the Mavs have a real chance here with Anderson to be a very, very good player. But they can't do a wishy washy sometimes bench or starter role forever. I think 15-18 mpg off the bench next season will be a wasted opportunity to keep this kid trending upwards.

I do think whether Felton returns or not will play a role in his minutes as well.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #159
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Howard isnt happening and McMahon explained it now pretty clear why:

MacMahon:

It's Parsons' plan A. He has some say but he's not 1/2 on the decision making chart. As much as he wants to make it happen, I highly, highly doubt he ends up in Dallas.

1. Talking to folks, Mavs won't offer the max. They will not sniff his max. If he ends up in Dallas, it would mean the market for him is awfully disappointing. Maybe $20M per year.

2. This should be the lead reason. This is not from the horse's mouth himself but it would be an awfully tough pill to swallow for Dirk to play with Howard. Hate is a strong word but yeah. It would be an awfully tough pill to swallow. A motivated Dwight would be perfect next to Dirk.

Decision makers:
Cuban is clearly #1, no contest. Donnie is a consultant. He consults with Carlisle. Cuban is the GM of the Mavs. He's the most hands on owner in sports when it comes to personnel decisions. He makes every single one.

2. Dirk. Dirk wanted Rondo; Rondo deal got done. He also wanted Kidd.
3. Donnie/Carlisle
4. Parsons - DeAndre was a Parsons plan.

Dirk has veto power. If he tells Cuban no, Cuban is ok. When he speaks, it matters. He spoke on Rondo. I don't know how loudly he'll speak on Dwight. He no commented on Dwight yesterday. That speaks volume. If you think about it, it makes sense. You see the way Dwight's production has plummeted and all the drama with Dwight going back to Orlando. LA, who does Dirk know? Steve Nash. Who's been in Houston? Jason Terry. Two of his favorite teammates ever have told him enough Howard horror stories to fill a few novels. Dwight stands for everything that is the opposite of Dirk. Dirk is the epitome of maximizing all his gifts. He's a professional. Workaholic. He's dragging a leg up and down the court at the age of 37. He's give it all all the time. Dwight is one of the biggest wastes of natural resources in NBA history. Parsons is right, he can still be great. You see flashes. How often do you get it though? That would make it hard for Dirk to say bring him in.

Do not assume it's plan A. It may be Parsons plan A but it's not Cuban/Dirk's plan A.

If Chandler returns to Dallas(very good chance, not coming at discount, wants max)...as long as Dirk is wearing a uniform, as often as he wants a say, his voice matters more than anyone else's and it's not close. He's earned that right.

Parsons will try to sell Cuban: Look how good/motivated he was when I was there. He'll be motivated with me.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #160
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Howard isnt happening and McMahon explained it now pretty clear why:

MacMahon:

It's Parsons' plan A. He has some say but he's not 1/2 on the decision making chart. As much as he wants to make it happen, I highly, highly doubt he ends up in Dallas.

1. Talking to folks, Mavs won't offer the max. They will not sniff his max. If he ends up in Dallas, it would mean the market for him is awfully disappointing. Maybe $20M per year.

2. This should be the lead reason. This is not from the horse's mouth himself but it would be an awfully tough pill to swallow for Dirk to play with Howard. Hate is a strong word but yeah. It would be an awfully tough pill to swallow. A motivated Dwight would be perfect next to Dirk.

Decision makers:
Cuban is clearly #1, no contest. Donnie is a consultant. He consults with Carlisle. Cuban is the GM of the Mavs. He's the most hands on owner in sports when it comes to personnel decisions. He makes every single one.

2. Dirk. Dirk wanted Rondo; Rondo deal got done. He also wanted Kidd.
3. Donnie/Carlisle
4. Parsons - DeAndre was a Parsons plan.

Dirk has veto power. If he tells Cuban no, Cuban is ok. When he speaks, it matters. He spoke on Rondo. I don't know how loudly he'll speak on Dwight. He no commented on Dwight yesterday. That speaks volume. If you think about it, it makes sense. You see the way Dwight's production has plummeted and all the drama with Dwight going back to Orlando. LA, who does Dirk know? Steve Nash. Who's been in Houston? Jason Terry. Two of his favorite teammates ever have told him enough Howard horror stories to fill a few novels. Dwight stands for everything that is the opposite of Dirk. Dirk is the epitome of maximizing all his gifts. He's a professional. Workaholic. He's dragging a leg up and down the court at the age of 37. He's give it all all the time. Dwight is one of the biggest wastes of natural resources in NBA history. Parsons is right, he can still be great. You see flashes. How often do you get it though? That would make it hard for Dirk to say bring him in.

Do not assume it's plan A. It may be Parsons plan A but it's not Cuban/Dirk's plan A.

If Chandler returns to Dallas(very good chance, not coming at discount, wants max)...as long as Dirk is wearing a uniform, as often as he wants a say, his voice matters more than anyone else's and it's not close. He's earned that right.

Parsons will try to sell Cuban: Look how good/motivated he was when I was there. He'll be motivated with me.
Wow, that's a lot of inside info there... Is there a link?